Railroad Line Forums - Promised Update...
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 4 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 92 ]  [ Total: 96 ]  [ Newest Member: red dog ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Early Rail Forum
 Promised Update...
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Projects in Progress on the Southern Central RR Topic Next Topic: New W&N
Page: of 54

railman28
Fireman

Posted - 07/07/2019 :  2:39:05 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Andre,
I agree " we're SOL in regards to a major mfg'er coming out with a 19th century Ten Wheeler". and as Mike noted the picking in brass are thin (in fact I don't know of any).
If all you need is a Mantua type frame I can help you there. I've gotten frame frame design down IMHO. KIM you're looking at about a "C" note just for the frame. With the closing of NWSL (gone as of July 1st) it will be harder but it is still do able. When I have time (probably next year) I plan to explore converting a NT Bachmann American to a Ten Wheeler.

Bob

It's only make-believe

OK Hogger
Crew Chief

Posted - 07/07/2019 :  4:36:04 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Actually, Bob, what I'm concerned about for the future is finding a gearbox to use. I was planning on using the NWSL 30:1 or higher gearbox, but such will not be readily available when the time comes.

The Mantua frame I can work with. Either I can re-slot the axles to my preferred spacing, or have them machined by a friend. The inside width can also be machined to fit the above gearbox... BUT... the NWSL products are no more, and now one will have to watch eBay/whatever to find the desired gearbox w/proper axle dia etc.

It is what it is.

Andre

railman28
Fireman

Posted - 07/07/2019 :  4:55:40 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
http://www.highlevelkits.co.uk/

It's only make-believe

railman28
Fireman

Posted - 07/07/2019 :  4:58:38 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
and https://www.ultrascale.uk/eshop

to start

It's only make-believe

OK Hogger
Crew Chief

Posted - 07/07/2019 :  11:30:56 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Bob!

Yup, that's a start. I'm hoping to find an alternate source (instead of NWSL) for enclosed gearboxes, but that may be wishful thinking.

All:

I went out to the train room during the afternoon with the hope of finishing the track at Mountain Top. After a couple hours, I had grown tired of all the tedious cutting/filing/fitting that Mountain Top was requiring, so I decided to extend the main toward the north stage for a while. After standing on the step stool inside the doughnut curving, filing/fitting the flex track to shape the final main line curve that leads to the stage throat, I decided I'd had enough for today/tonight.

As I was preparing to shut down for the night, as I looked over my work for the afternoon/evening, I thought I'd take a quick snap shot of the developing town of Mountain Top and share:

The track schematic at Mountain Top is loosely based on the Frisco's track at the depot area in Fayetteville, AR, including the diamond with opposing connections. Haven't fully decided the final configuration of the industry spurs/etc. I'll make the final decisions during tomorrow's work session.

It's now obvious that I'm going to run out of track. Just the 7 stage tracks alone will consume approximately 63' of track. I currently have 1 bundle (18') and about four sticks (12'), plus some insignificant cut-offs. I still need to finish Mountain Top and the reverse loop before I truly start on the stage area. As soon as I can clearly see how much track it's going to take to finish the stage, I will get the final track order on the way.

All fer now!

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 07/08/2019 :  12:04:27 AM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hallmark made a brass Colorado Midland ten wheeler.

OK Hogger
Crew Chief

Posted - 07/08/2019 :  12:33:00 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Mike!

I wondered if any of the CM Ten Wheeler's made it to brass. I may start watching eBay and if one comes along I'll watch the auction to get an idea of how much $$ those go for. I suspect I would still have the gearbox/motor issue.

All fer tonight!

Andre

railman28
Fireman

Posted - 07/08/2019 :  12:47:06 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
and there's the model of V&T #25 which isabout the same class as the CM model. a Little late and heavy but better than nothing.

Bob

It's only make-believe

Gloucesterman
New Hire

Posted - 07/08/2019 :  5:20:31 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
In addition to Hallmark, Model Engineering Works (MEW) produced brass models of Colorado Midland ten wheelers. The MEW version was of a slightly older style engine. They appear periodically in inter-net auctions--though less of late--and sell for around $400. Both Firms also produced CM consolidations.

I don't know about Ozark area roads, but eastern regional lines like B&M used moguls for mixed service. And the MEW model of a CM 0-6-0 switcher of the same era could be used as the basis of a chunky mogul. Of course, MEW also produced a brass model of V&T's mogul Tahoe, an older and less beefy engine. These too sell for $300-$400. Less expensive would be to build one from a kitbashed MDC mogul like those contructed byJohn Ott ( http://www.ottgalleries.com/roundhouse%20bash.html ) and Blackbeard (http://thoroughfaregaprailroad.blogspot.com/search/label/John%20Ott )

Frank

OK Hogger
Crew Chief

Posted - 07/08/2019 :  9:20:46 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Fella's!

As for Ten Wheeler's...

No way I'm going to pay $400 for a brass model that's going to need to be re-geared and re-motored. No biggie. I've got options... sort of.

Frank:

I know that one of my "foundational/inspirational" roads (Frisco) used Moguls in the Ozark and Ouachita mountains. (I posted a pic of one photographed at Talihina, I.T. ca late 1880s posted recently in this thread.)

In the past I experimented with some mix-n'-mash-bashed 2-6-0's, both based on MDC frames. (One on the time honored OT 2-6-0 frame, the other on a modified 0-6-0 frame.)

Here's some pics of them:

First is the modified MDC 0-6-0 frame version...

And here's the one that's on an MDC Old Timer 51" driver frame and an experimental Mantua butchered boiler...

I tinkered with them enough "back when" to know that such mox-nix mingling will work fine.

I also want 2-8-0's to be very evident, too. I think that for my proto/free lanced theme, I could follow the Frisco's purchasing habits to a lesser degree, and they purchased many 2-8-0's from about 1880 on.

Layout:

Finished laying track at Mountain Top. May make some tweaks there, but we'll see on that. Here's what's there so far...

Looking "north"...

Standing inside the return loop doughnut looking "south"...

I'm on the home stretch, and the finish line is in sight. The yard throat is in place in the north stage, and I've started on the tracks...

Alas, I will run out of track early in the morning. Starting the stage tracks, I had 15' of flex track left. Total footage the seven stage tracks will consume is right at 66.5'. So, I am 51.5" shy. After making the above calculations this afternoon, I ordered 3 bundles (18' per bundle, 54' total) from Micro-Mark to finish up the track work. IF I don't screw up and mis-cut, I will have a partial stick when finished!

I don't expect the track until early next week, but once in hand, it won't take long to install it into the stage.

All fer now.

Andre

railman28
Fireman

Posted - 07/09/2019 :  12:50:56 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
good progress. Interesting kitbashing. I like the 0-6-0 based one. i certainly understand your reluctance to spend $400 on a fixer-upper model.

Bob

It's only make-believe

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 07/09/2019 :  06:34:24 AM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
With running out of track, does this mean the fellow who didnít order enough spikes is in trouble again?

OK Hogger
Crew Chief

Posted - 07/09/2019 :  08:55:35 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Bob:

I'm not understanding the market dynamics of older brass, but that's fine. Old brass basically runs like crap and have to be extensively regeared/remotored. Besides, when workbench time comes, I'll have my hands full with projects-on-hand already.

I'm also inclined to like that 0-6-0 mod more than the stock MDC frame. I'm sure you've noted there isn't such a l-o-n-g distance in the offset spacing for the rear driver on the 0-6-0 modified frame.

Mike:

Nope, this time it was somewhat by design. Spikes I can consume on my future KC urban diesel switching layout. Code 70 track products not so much. (A goodly supply of code 83 track/switches is on hand for that.) I didn't want to be stuck with a bundle or two of surplus code 70 flex, so I waited until I could more accurately determine the final needs. No biggie if it weren't for the get-together I'll be hosting on the 18th. That is going to sort of put me under the gun IF I allow the compulsion to re-establish itself to feel compelled to have 100% of the track finished. Having 100% of the track in place would be nice, but not the end of the world if I don't. (At this point I won't be hosting operations, just a "show n' tell".)

I won't be inviting an operator for an operating session until I have the lighting/backdrop w/blue installed, and enough painted equipment to make it feasible.

For now it's coffee and forums time, then off to the Hut to get the last of the track pieces in place, strip/attach the feeders, and then start clean up. 'Ya know, I need to consider a name change. "Hobby Hut" doesn't really convey what it means to me. "Hobby Haven" is closer. The place is like my little personal piece of heaven in which to kick back, oldies station filling the air with music, and piddle on layout stuff.

Andre

railman28
Fireman

Posted - 07/09/2019 :  1:36:01 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by OK Hogger

Bob:

I'm not understanding the market dynamics of older brass, but that's fine. Old brass basically runs like crap and have to be extensively regeared/remotored. Besides, when workbench time comes, I'll have my hands full with projects-on-hand already.

I'm also inclined to like that 0-6-0 mod more than the stock MDC frame. I'm sure you've noted there isn't such a l-o-n-g distance in the offset spacing for the rear driver on the 0-6-0 modified frame.

Andre

Those "market dynamics" are currently in complete chaos with the closing of NWSL. I follow a couple of groups of brass re-builders on face book. NWSL closing is being taken like the meteor impact was to the dinosaurs. For good reason too. Working on brass just just got a whole lot harder and more expensive. I foresee the complete crash of the market as there is now no way to maintain these models past their cosmetics.
Using the current available commercial products a very fine railroad can be built.
I did notice the gap in the MDC drivers but didn't want to beat a dead horse. I have many complains on the MDC mechanisms. Maybe it's a bit ironic; I could design and have cast a MDC style frame for about $150 or I can do a more prototypical frame for about $100 because it would use less material (and also weigh less).

Keep up the productivity.

Bob

It's only make-believe

OK Hogger
Crew Chief

Posted - 07/09/2019 :  4:04:08 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi again Bob!

I don't know a thing about brass prices... but like I said, I've got plenty of projects on hand. Unfortunately, many of them I intended to regear and repower. (Like my two Arbour Models Brooks Moguls and my Mantua-frame based projects.) In that respect, there is some hope:

http://www.highlevelkits.co.uk/

I haven't taken the time to poke around their website to see if 1/8" diameter axle options exist, but if so, the above looks very promising.

MDC mechanisms...

I like the step gears okay, but I used to replace them with new NWSL sets, which is no longer an option. Otherwise, the frames themselves are sort of crude and look clunky. However, MDC's are what I have to work with and what is still reasonably plentiful on the secondary market, so I've made peace with their shortcomings. I figure if a certain issue with them bothers me enough, then I'll find a way to fix that issue.

Layout...

Used up my remaining track earlier. It was then time to test all of the newly laid track (found a curved joint that was a bit wide and the 88 wheels didn't particularly care for it) and clean the track. Next came fabricating/installing safety pin switch throws. Now it's time to head back out to my hobby room and start attaching feeders to the bus wires. That done, t'will be time to sweep up the wire cuttings/etc and run a vacuum over the new construction. I reckon then I can unload the boxes of my TOC19 rolling stock that's converted and ready for paint and piddle n' play?

I will not be doing any more construction until after the get-together. I will then decide when to tackle the backdrop and lighting.

All fer now!

Andre

Page: of 54 Previous Topic: Projects in Progress on the Southern Central RR Topic Next Topic: New W&N  
 New Topic |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-19 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.48 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000