Railroad Line Forums - Promised Update...
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 0 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 117 ]  [ Total: 117 ]  [ Newest Member: longknifeldr ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Early Rail Forum
 Promised Update...
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Projects in Progress on the Southern Central RR Topic Next Topic: Small Layout Design Help/Challenge - c.1905 Pennsy
Page: of 53

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 07/02/2019 :  4:01:11 PM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Probably out riding his bike.

OK Hogger
Crew Chief

Posted - 07/02/2019 :  4:45:46 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

Actually, the Construction Foreman had the crew go back and clean up the construction mess that they left behind. (He's trying to redeem himself.)

As for the layout:

This morning, sure nuf, I finished up at Piney in short order and started laying track toward Mountain Top, arriving there just before lunch. Here's the completed track at Piney...

And here's the stalled construction train ready to start laying track in Mountain Top...

A closer look at the sad sight...

Sad, sad.

However, it's my understanding that the O&S offices just received a telegram from the fittings company that the spikes are on their way.

Andre

OK Hogger
Crew Chief

Posted - 07/02/2019 :  4:48:42 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Bob:

I have not experienced the momentary shorting issue when throwing a switch.

Reckon I'm lucky? OR, perhaps the planets are lined up better out here my way?

Andre

railman28
Fireman

Posted - 07/02/2019 :  7:09:19 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Or Your Turnout aren't as old as mine. Do they have the brass strip under the points?

Bob

It's only make-believe

OK Hogger
Crew Chief

Posted - 07/02/2019 :  8:09:21 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Bob:

Some of the older ones have the brass plate under the point assembly pivot rivet. (Hah, a rhyme!) The newer ones have rail joiner pivots. On the newer ones, at the point, there's a brass "catch" that slides under the web of the rail, I assume to help contact as well as point height at the closure.

Whatever age of the Shinohara switch, I have not experienced any momentary loss of sound when throwing a set of points.

How's this for a mystery?

Andre

railman28
Fireman

Posted - 07/02/2019 :  10:51:27 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm glad they are working for you. The Brass "catch" is what was causing all the trouble for me as it was momentary catching both rails at the same time.

Bob

It's only make-believe

OK Hogger
Crew Chief

Posted - 07/02/2019 :  11:03:02 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I can understand that being a possibility. I'll have to double check my switches that have that type of points.

I do know that the later switches with the phosphor bronze point bar that we're discussing has a tendency to be more picky in regards to mechanical throws. If not the right alignment/pressure, the phosphor bronze point part hits the web of the rail and won't seat correctly.

Andre

OK Hogger
Crew Chief

Posted - 07/03/2019 :  2:36:20 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
AT this moment:

I think I'm going to stay with the 1880s era for quite a while. Reasons:

* I can have a usable fleet of DCC/Sound equipped engines quicker and cheaper.

That is, I already have four of the Bachmann NT 4-4-0's that have factory DCC/Sound. I also have the needed mechanical items and kits on hand to produce at least one or two MDC OT Moguls and one or two MDC OT 2-8-0's. SO, instead of needing to complete something like a dozen or more diesels as well as purchasing more than a dozen decoders for same and the 8 painted KC&G diesels I have on hand, I can get into operation sooner in the engine department by staying with steam. (I will need at least a couple dozen DCC/Sound equipped diesels to have reasonably "full" operation on the diesel theme.)

* I can get enough rolling stock ready quicker.

There will be less cars moving, but moving in quite a few trains in the 1880s. Trains that are powered with one, or at most two, steam locomotives compared to three or four diesels with longer (18 cars) trains. One steam helper can assist several "through" trains up Hogback Mountain. Whereas I will need 200-300 pieces of rolling stock to fully equip the diesel era, I think it will only take about 100 cars for the 1880s.

I leave you with a couple views taken today while out in the Hut plotting track lines for Mountain Top and the North Stage:

The Work Train shoving toward the town of Mountain Top...

Posed on one of the horeshoe curves the Ozark & Southern is noted for:

All fer now!

Andre

masonamerican
Fireman

Posted - 07/03/2019 :  3:44:33 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Fantastic progress Andre! I can smell the homasote to here. Even if I never has smelled homasote as it unluckily isn't sold here. Love the sweeping curves and glad that you stick to the Golden era for some time.

I have some ideas for the troubling switches. I got a tip from famed modeler Troels Kirk who got it from another guy, who...well you get my drift.

They swear on using when having contact problems a product called CRC 2-26:
https://www.homedepot.com/p/CRC-2-26-5-oz-Multi-Purpose-Lubricant-02004/100398344

When one has cleaned the contacts one could use some of the 2-26 to help it from corrode and give better contact. Troels and others use it on the rails.

It should be used very sparingly.

HŚkan

OK Hogger
Crew Chief

Posted - 07/04/2019 :  01:13:46 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi HŚkan!

So good to see you stopping by!

Homasote has its own smell. Sometimes, if it has been stored in humidity, it can kind of smell a bit musty, but the odor goes away after a bit once in a temperature/humidity controlled environment. Now, lumber: I love the smell of fresh cut lumber. Ummm!

As for my decision of the moment: Makes sense to stay with the 1880s for a spell. Getting enough diesels ready for operation (and continuing to acquire 1960s era rolling stock) would best be spread over time. Shucks, it's going to be a while just getting some 1880s cars painted/lettered and a few of my MDC locomotive builds on the rails!

Thanks for the tip on the CRC -226!

ALL:

Change of topic.

I'm going to be painting/lettering much of my transet conversion cars into Ozark & Southern. I need to tap into your knowledge on the way things were back in the late 19th century (late 1880s in particular) in regards to any required lettering that was applied to cars.

Such things as:

* Were capacities required to be on the sides?

* Were reporting marks/numbers required on the car ends?

* Was there any type of standardization in regards to which side of the door the reporting marks were to be placed/etc?

Lastly, for now:

* What kinds of fonts were most used on rolling stock?

It's time for me to begin to seriously think about custom decals.

All fer now. Off to bed.

Andre

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 07/04/2019 :  08:35:45 AM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Letís see. Are we talking 1870ís? Later?

Lettering could be very simple, especially the earlier you go. Taking your questions in reverse order, RR Roman was ubiquitous. Block lettering like Clover House has was common. I think most commonly the rr name was left, reporting marks right of the door. These were often repeated on the door itself in small lettering. Railroad names were often not spelled out, only initials with periods after each letter i.e. O.&S.R.R. RR name and reporting marks same size. RR initials and number on end could be either corner or even centered. I think they were generally on cars. Iím not sure on capacity and length. I think they were often left off before 1890ís.

The best thing would be to emulate a specific car of your era from a photo.

_______________________________________________________________________________________________
Nobody living can ever stop me, as I go walking that freedom highway -- Woody Guthrie

Edited by - Michael Hohn on 07/04/2019 08:36:54 AM

OK Hogger
Crew Chief

Posted - 07/04/2019 :  10:11:58 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Mike!

Thanks for input. I can't believe I didn't mention that I will be reflecting the late 1880s in my above post.

As for the best thing:

Finding pictures of late 1880s cars in the Ozarks to emulate is a tough order. In all the years I've been a fan of early railroading in the Ozarks, I've yet to see a good picture of one! SO, I don't have a clear idea as to what a Frisco boxcar looked like in the late 1880s, or further to the south, the cars of the St. Louis & Iron Mountain, nee Little Rock & Fort Smith, looked like. Same goes for late 1880s cars of the Eureka Springs Rwy. SO, I'm going to have to go with generalities and call it good.

Now, I DO have one pic that partially shows a Frisco boxcar of the late 1880s, and here it is (below). This pic was taken during the late 1880s when the Frisco was building south through the Ouachita mountains. This picture was taken at Talihina, I.T. ("I.T." - Indian Territory, which became Oklahoma in 1908.)

I do like what I see... just wish I could see more!

Good news on the capacities not being there/etc.

Later I will post a pic of the fonts that I'm familiar with and see what you all think.

All fer now. Need to change the belt on the mower deck of my Cub Cadet.

Andre

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 07/04/2019 :  10:51:21 AM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Andre, I like the lettering on that car.

Similar:

Are you planning to have decals made?

Mike

_______________________________________________________________________________________________
Nobody living can ever stop me, as I go walking that freedom highway -- Woody Guthrie

OK Hogger
Crew Chief

Posted - 07/04/2019 :  11:42:39 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Have I mentioned how much I hate working a lawn mowers? (Taking a cool down break... not my body as much as my mind. I was thinking things I shouldn't be thinking!!! )

Oh... cool! A reply!

Mike:

Re: The StL&SF boxcar lettering...

As do I.

Yes, I will have custom decals made for my own road, but was hoping to use decal sets for offline railroads. However, with the demise of Art Griffin, that's going to be a difficult chore. So, there may be LOTS of home road cars (and some offline's with simplistic lettering).

I am leaning toward using Bill Brillinger for the decals. I've known him "online" for some time.

Perhaps I should offer to generously consider purchasing any applicable surplus decals off the hands of those that frequent this list.

EDIT: Forgot to mention how much I enjoy seeing examples of your rolling stock fleet!

Andre

Edited by - OK Hogger on 07/04/2019 11:43:25 AM

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 07/04/2019 :  12:30:22 PM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thank you for the kind words.

In the 1960ís, MR published a photo of the Lehigh Valley RR in Mauch Chunk in the 1880ís that showed dozens of cars. Almost all boxcars were LV, a couple were P&R and a couple PRR, all with multiple connections with the LV. The vast majority of your cars could be home road with a few adjacent railroads and rare cars from distant railroads.

If youíre going to have decals made you might consider including capacity and length data because they donít take much more work to apply.

By the way, notice how simple lettering is on the Bitter Creek Central Pacific cars: https://bittercreekmodels.com/page3.html

Mike

Page: of 53 Previous Topic: Projects in Progress on the Southern Central RR Topic Next Topic: Small Layout Design Help/Challenge - c.1905 Pennsy  
 New Topic |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-19 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.55 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000