Railroad Line Forums - Promised Update...
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 6 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 76 ]  [ Total: 82 ]  [ Newest Member: Movidium ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Early Rail Forum
 Promised Update...
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Projects in Progress on the Southern Central RR Topic Next Topic: New W&N
Page: of 54

OK Hogger
Crew Chief

Posted - 07/01/2019 :  1:32:01 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Bob:

Once I've tested all the track and am satisfied with the way things are, I will be soldering the feeder-to-bus connections. As for the bus wires themselves, I'm currently using "red heads" to establish continuity between bus sections. Eventually, there will be toggle switches on the fascia for the three different bus sections so I can activate/deactivate sections to isolate any track electrical issues that may arise in the future.

Layout...

Currently laying the track at the town of Piney that's at Piney Gap. Slow going, but it is what it is! Getting ready to power up, and use a "work train" to shove a gondola w/spikes therein to the end of the rail head. (Also for track testing purposes.) I like having already pulled the bus wires.

Lunch is over... time to head back to the Ozarks!

Andre

railman28
Fireman

Posted - 07/01/2019 :  2:11:41 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
are you using DCC?

It's only make-believe

deemery
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 07/01/2019 :  2:28:36 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The way I'm doing my wiring is small diameter (22?) wire to Wago connectors, then large diameter (14?) from Wago to Suitcase Connector to the large diameter wire bus. The nice thing about the Wago connectors is that it's easy to disconnect and reconnect wires.

dave

Modeling 1890s (because the voices in my head told me to)

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 07/01/2019 :  3:37:08 PM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Andre,

You should be proud of all youíve accomplished in a short time.

Mike

OK Hogger
Crew Chief

Posted - 07/01/2019 :  5:05:31 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi All!

Taking an iced tea break, some replies...

Bob:

Yup. DCC. Going to DCC has made the wiring so much simpler than it used to be with my rotaries, toggles, multiple cabs (had four cabs on my last layout), etc, etc.

Downside to DCC is: Sound decoders. Figure $100+ per pop for a steam DCC/Sound decoder, plus the connectors, and a speaker of some sort.

It's really going to hit me in pocket book when I tackle my pre-DCC diesel fleet I have on hand. I'm probably looking at right at $2000 worth of decoders to get a reasonable amount of diesels to adequately equip an operating session.

That alone may build a good case to stay with my 1880s theme for a while. I'll only need about 5-6 DCC/Sound steam decoders to have an adequate fleet to operate with.

Dave:

I'm sure the suitcase connectors are the berries. I simply stuck with something I know.

Mike:

It's been gratifying to watch the layout take shape. Hard to believe that I'm in the last phase of track laying.

However, I'm always shocked (again) at how excruciatingly long it takes to lay the track for a town. So much cutting, filing, fitting, flexing, adjusting, drilling, soldering, on and on. I'm making like a herd of turtles.

BUT, I am making progress, and for that I'm thankful. Here's a couple pics of where the track laying crews are to at Piney...

All fer now!

Andre

Edited by - OK Hogger on 07/01/2019 5:07:01 PM

OK Hogger
Crew Chief

Posted - 07/01/2019 :  10:39:43 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Came in from the layout about 8-ish. Didn't get the town of Piney installed. Liked one long spur. First thing in the morning.

Here's the latest...

Looking south (to drop off the mountain) at Piney...

Looking north...

The recently received bag of 1000 spikes isn't going to be enough to finish the layout. Ordered 2000 more while in the house at supper time. Also ordered a couple packs of Kadee 33" rib back wheel sets to have on hand for the "problem children" that will crop up.

All fer now!

Andre

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 07/01/2019 :  11:50:58 PM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I like your idea of a work train, Andre.

Those are nice sweeping curves.

OK Hogger
Crew Chief

Posted - 07/02/2019 :  12:39:06 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Mike!

Piddling with a "Work Train" adds some fun to it. I sure wish the "Sound Value" decoders Bachmann used had the sound of a single phase air pump that cycles. (I love the sound of a single phase pump.)

I also lik the way that having the buses in place gives me the ability to test track almost immediately. (After tying the two feeders to the buses.)

Flowing curves...

Thanks. They sure are more time consuming than tangents! However, I do feel they are well worth it. I must admit, though, at this point they look kind of "contrived" because there's no "reasons" for their existence. Once the land forms start going in, then the reasons for their existence will (hopefully) become more apparent.

If all goes well, I expect to arrive at Mountain Springs (the last town before entering the north stage) sometime tomorrow morning. It will take a couple of days to lay the track at Mountain Springs. (And the adjacent return loop.) The stage will be very time consuming, too. BUT... I think I'm in pretty good shape to have all the track in place and functional before the third week of July. (The third week of the month typically being the week of our monthly get-together.)

Names revisited:

* After revisiting some options for the name of my 1880s railroad (including the name "Ozark Central"), I have decided to retain the name "Ozark & Southern". It's more descriptive in that it's directional. I think the more you can succinctly convey in the name of a freelanced theme, the better off one is.

* The town name "Mountain Springs" may become "Mountain Top". There's all sorts of "Mountain" town names in the Ozarks, such as "Mountainburg", "Mountain View", "Mountain Home", etc. I'm sort of liking the sound of "Mountain Top" better than "Mountain Springs". We shall see.

* The town of Piney Gap has been shortened to simply "Piney". That way I can use the name "Piney Gap" for the gap in the mountains upon which the town of Piney resides.

* Still thinking that I'm going to use "Hogback Mountain" for the name of the mountain the rails ascend to reach "Piney Gap".

Time to wrap up my rambling here and ramble off to bed.

All fer now!

Andre

railman28
Fireman

Posted - 07/02/2019 :  12:48:38 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You're making such fine progress but you do know that older Shinohara turnouts are not DCC friendly?

Bob

It's only make-believe

OK Hogger
Crew Chief

Posted - 07/02/2019 :  08:45:01 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Shhhh!! Don't say that too loud, they might hear you. Do you want to hurt their feelings??

I know what the mainstream says:

* You'll need to isolated frogs!!

* You need to add "Frog Juicers"!

* You'll need power routing switch machines!

* Ad infinitum and much hand wringing.

Yes, the Shinohara's are power routing. That is, the power flows according the alignment of the points. This is great IF you want to use that feature. That is, you can actually use the switch points to control power to/from a spur. Alas, with sound, you do NOT want to use that feature, for if a sound equipped engine ducks into a spur to allow another engine/train to pass by, as soon as the switch is lined for the other move, the engine on the spur goes silent. Then there's the issue that IF you want to power the spur (or track trailing into the switch), you can have an electrical short under certain circumstances.

The solutions:

* Insulated rail joiners behind the frog of EVERY switch.

* ONLY feed power to the point side of the switch.

* Power feeders to EVERY spur. (Which also allows sound to remain constant as another train passes by.)

Insulating the switches and powering the track thusly, tests indicate that the worst that happens if you trail into a switch incorrectly lined (Duh! You're not supposed to do that!) is that your engine stalls for lack of power being fed to it.

The other issue is supposed to be that the older Shinohara's have powered point assemblies. However, with the generous gap provided, there is no fouling/shorting under normal use. (i.e. Don't trail into an incorrectly aligned switch.)

IF there proves to be an issue with any particular switch, I will pull that switch and properly reprimand it by castration of its power routing ability, then return it to it's place. However, thus far, no such issues.

For sure, I'll let you all know how the above works out after a few months of operation either yay or nay.

All fer now.

Oh, and it's raining... again. Hopefully it will be finished by the time I finish my coffee and check my forums/emails. By the way, it's been cooler than normal around here for summer. I learned via the weather places that we've entered a "Solar Minimum" phase (about 11 year cycles) and cooler summer temps and colder winter temps are predicted for the next few years. We shall see.

Andre

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 07/02/2019 :  09:37:30 AM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Andre,

Iíve not any problem with my Shinohara turnouts. So far. It sounds like you havenít either. But apparently others have had problems.

I think as the turnout number increases potential for problems decrease. Iíve started using ME turnouts when I need more.

Mike

Edited by - Michael Hohn on 07/02/2019 11:24:00 AM

railman28
Fireman

Posted - 07/02/2019 :  11:27:07 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The problem I had with my old Shinoharas was that as you switched the points they would temporarily short out. That was no problem with DC but in DCC it shuts down the entire system for a second or so that can be heard in the sound equipped engines and any other trains you have running will lose power for a moment. I don't use frog juicers, I wire and isolate the frog so that the points power the frog. the reworking is a hassle I'll rather not do so now I use Peco turnouts where I can.

It's only make-believe

OK Hogger
Crew Chief

Posted - 07/02/2019 :  1:03:14 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Found this microfiched article in the newspaper The Mountain Air that was printed back during the construction of the Ozark & Southern...

OZARK & SOUTHERN OUT OF STEAM

The fine folk at the town of Mountain Top watched with glee as the rails crept closer to their fair town, only to be let down as the construction train halted at the edge of town. Our intrepid reporter has ascertained that apparently the incompetent Construction Foreman in charge of the operation failed to order enough spikes in a timely manner so as to allow construction to continue uninterupted.

"This is intolerable..." the O&S General Manager was heard to say, "...a serious reprimand is in order!"

Alas though, a stern reprimand will not remedy the situation as is. The O&S officials assure all concerned that sufficient spikes are on order and due to arrive within the week so construction can continue.

In the meantime, the citizens of Mountain Top are placing wagers on whether sufficient spikes were actually ordered with which to finish the task at hand.

"Their track record ain't been the grandest, 'ya know. They's pulled a bonehead stunt like this befer." One of the locals quipped.

Remember you read this in the The Mountain Air first. The Mountain Air will stay abreast of this development and will report new information as it becomes available.

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 07/02/2019 :  2:39:39 PM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Newspapers sure like to take a small story and blow it up into a big one.

Mike

OK Hogger
Crew Chief

Posted - 07/02/2019 :  3:10:02 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yup, that they do.

But I shore would hate to be that Construction Foreman, whoever he is.

Andre

Edited by - OK Hogger on 07/02/2019 3:11:00 PM

Page: of 54 Previous Topic: Projects in Progress on the Southern Central RR Topic Next Topic: New W&N  
 New Topic |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-19 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 1.33 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000