Railroad Line Forums - Promised Update...
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 4 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 113 ]  [ Total: 117 ]  [ Newest Member: Bigbandito ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Early Rail Forum
 Promised Update...
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Projects in Progress on the Southern Central RR Topic Next Topic: Small Layout Design Help/Challenge - c.1905 Pennsy
Page: of 53

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 06/24/2019 :  09:58:40 AM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Andre, youíre working both ends of the spectrum.

OK Hogger
Crew Chief

Posted - 06/24/2019 :  11:00:36 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Mike:

For at least two decades three elements have kept me in a funky stagnation of sorts. Those elements were:

* The desire for a TOC19 Colorado layout.

* The desire for a KC Switching layout.

* The pull of the Ozarks.

I couldn't stay with a decision in regards to direction to pursue. Along the way, a lot of money/time was consumed as mood/inclination toward each option would shift and I would gather equipment for it. The ultimate result was stagnation, for I couldn't fully commit to any one of the themes to the exclusion of the others.

It took me a while to figure it out, but the answer seems to be:

* Ditch Colorado (and its scenic obstacles) but retain TOC19.

* Model the Ozarks w/dual eras to accommodate either my diesel or TOC19 urges.

* Downsize the projected scope of the KC theme and have a small KC-oriented shelf switching layout.

Both layouts combined (Ozark and KC) will be less footage/complexity than the typical medium-sized model layout, so I feel the "both an Ozark and KC layout" concept is completely do-able.

However, for the sake of staying with our topic of choice here at this forum, I will not be going into detail about my diesel era for my Ozark layout, or the upcoming KC layout shelf layout. (Perhaps I should consider another forum here at Railroad-Line for such? Hm.)

Bottom line: I want enough goals and dreams to keep retired life fun with there being always something to look forward to and to accomplish.

All fer now!

Andre

Edited by - OK Hogger on 06/24/2019 11:01:04 AM

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 06/24/2019 :  1:34:12 PM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Andre. I think most of us have to move from project to project to stay fresh. In my case itís from layout to household. Iím working on the shelf for my coal shed and shelves in our new kitchen. I try to make progress on both every day. My woodworking tools are out as well as primer, paint, brushes, wood filler etc. I have this synergy thing going.

Every so often I split off a new thread for topics that fit better under other forums.

Mike

OK Hogger
Crew Chief

Posted - 06/24/2019 :  8:58:36 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Mike!

Project to project has been my modus operandii for decades, sometimes to my detriment in regards to finishing a project. I am still going to use the principle, but I'm also going to try to do better at finishing some of my projects.

I may try a thread for my diesel stuff here at R-L, but I'll need to look over the available forums more closely to see where the threads would fit best.

Ozarks:

As of a few minutes ago, all roadbed plywood is cut, installed, and tacked in place. Tomorrow I will finish screwing things into place and will make the stabilizing framework for the return loop doughnut.

Various pics...

Scene once inside the entry door:

Looking toward the stages:

That piece of leftover ply on the floor will likely become the creek bed for my Possum Creek scene.

A view from my workstation area (if spun around in my office chair):

I am optimistic that I will be cutting and installing Homasote before lunch tomorrow.

All fer now!

Andre

OK Hogger
Crew Chief

Posted - 06/25/2019 :  12:12:47 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well, I was wrong about starting Homasote at, or soon after, lunch.

Already got the first two sheets cut andinstalled.

I impress myself SOOO much.

Andre

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 06/25/2019 :  2:11:13 PM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I like days when I exceed my goals.

Careful, though. Donít let your head swell so much that you hit it on the lights when working on the upper level.

Mike

_______________________________________________________________________________________________
Nobody living can ever stop me, as I go walking that freedom highway -- Woody Guthrie

Edited by - Michael Hohn on 06/25/2019 2:11:53 PM

OK Hogger
Crew Chief

Posted - 06/25/2019 :  2:48:36 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yeah... or slash my finger on an exposed screw!

(Don't ask.)

Andre

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 06/25/2019 :  4:37:54 PM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Was it a Bob Dylan moment: Blood on the Tracks?

OK Hogger
Crew Chief

Posted - 06/25/2019 :  4:53:31 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
One of those "what an idiot!" moments! (I'm pretty rough on myself when I do something I deem thoughtless/etc.)

Good News Department:

Think I'm going to finish up the Homasote installation this evening. It looks as though I'll have one full sheet of Homasote leftover. (The outfit I purchased my batch of 5 sheets from made an error and sent one sheet too many, so I received 6 sheets. When I caught the error and notified them about it, they said "Merry Christmas!". Worked for me!)

Anyway, my original estimation of 5 sheets proved correct, so now I'll have that extra sheet to figure out what to do with.

IF I finish the Homasote this evening, I may go ahead and cut and install the creek bed for Possum Creek. I'm tempted to cut basic fascia and install so the layout looks a bit more "complete" (fascia really helps), but I'm unsure how I want to handle some areas, so I may pass on that and save the additional mess for the backdrop installation phase.

I just might be laying track again by Thursday. I have enough switches to reach the final town, and the switches I've purchased should arrive this Friday or Saturday, so I ought to be in good shape there. (Just happened to think: I may need to get more spikes on order, though. Always something.)

All fer now!

Andre

OK Hogger
Crew Chief

Posted - 06/25/2019 :  8:15:04 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

Didn't get the Homasote installed tonight. Bogged down at Piney. I threw in the towel at 10 hours.. enough fun for today.

Just sat done at the 'puter.

It'll be there waiting for me tomorrow. Tomorrow I'll kill it, you just watch.

Andre

OK Hogger
Crew Chief

Posted - 06/26/2019 :  1:54:38 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sometimes things go quicker than 'ya think, other times not so.

The Homasote was a not so situation. Took much longer than I expected: Lots of flowing curves/etc to deal with.

BUT... the Homasote is IN!

I put off stabilizing the doughnut area, but I will attend to that just as soon as I'm finished here.

Couple pics...

Hopefully I will be cleaning up the room before time to go inside the house in advance of evening commitments.

All fer now!

Andre

Edited by - OK Hogger on 06/26/2019 1:56:05 PM

deemery
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 06/26/2019 :  5:28:36 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That's nice! Great clean cuts on the homasote, that's a mess to cut!

dave

Modeling 1890s (because the voices in my head told me to)

OK Hogger
Crew Chief

Posted - 06/26/2019 :  6:12:16 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Dave!

Thanks!

Yes, I dread cutting the Homasote. (It's an evil necessity.) The particular blade I'm using on the saber saw seems to be doing a good job of making clean cuts with minimal dust. When I use the circular saw for long tangent cuts it's awful: It creates fine dust particles that fills the air and floats around forever. Fortunately, I'm DONE with cutting Homasote for the basic layout construction. (Any future mods not withstanding.)

I got the doughnut area braced and supported nicely and was almost tempted to start clean up. However, I have decided to install the creek bed. Alas, as I was doing so I came to the realization that over the course of the week I have unintentionally made it "work" and find that I'm trying to beat a "mental deadline" that I have inadvertently set for myself: Hosting the local modelers group in July sometime.

SO, I stopped right there, shut down the Hut, and came inside and kicked back and relaxed at the computer. I'll return to the Hut tomorrow morning, and when I do, I'm going to intentionally avoid allowing myself to make it "work" with a "deadline". I mean, I'm in the final stages of track work. I need to slow up and enjoy it, for this is the LAST major layout I will be building. (My "opus"?)

As for the local gang: Whatever I happen to get accomplished will be what the local gang will see. (i.e. I'm going to resist the tendency to put pressure on myself to make progress at all costs.)

So, there you have it!

All fer now. Church night w/music practice following. Late thirty when we get home.

Andre

railman28
Fireman

Posted - 06/26/2019 :  6:52:31 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You have gotten so much done. celebrate!

It's only make-believe

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 06/26/2019 :  7:51:04 PM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I did some cutting homasote a couple days ago with my jigsaw. Itís relatively slow compared to the Masonite I was cutting. Sort of a small mess but not the filling the air variety you describe. Homasote is a funny material; seems soft until you go to cut it. My jigsaw was stalling (overheating?) if I wasnít careful. Too much friction?

Mike

Page: of 53 Previous Topic: Projects in Progress on the Southern Central RR Topic Next Topic: Small Layout Design Help/Challenge - c.1905 Pennsy  
 New Topic |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-19 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 1.01 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000