Railroad Line Forums - Promised Update...
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 7 | Anonymous Members: 1 | Guests: 81 ]  [ Total: 89 ]  [ Newest Member: red dog ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Early Rail Forum
 Promised Update...
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Projects in Progress on the Southern Central RR Topic Next Topic: New W&N
Page: of 54

OK Hogger
Crew Chief

Posted - 06/04/2019 :  09:11:25 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
A bonus pic...

Saw this picture on one of the FB pages I frequent. As soon as my eyes fell upon it, I thought to myself "Ozarks!".

In reality, it's a picture of the Ulster & Delaware's Kaaterskill Jct on their Stony Clove Branch, but the setting could be found in MANY places in the Ozarks. This is the sort of look I'm hoping to portray out on my Ozark layout.

All fer now... off to my Hobby Hut!

Andre

Edited by - OK Hogger on 06/04/2019 09:12:22 AM

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 06/04/2019 :  10:06:13 AM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Great photo. So much character. As a former New Yorker I can attest to the country feel of much of the state.

Mike

OK Hogger
Crew Chief

Posted - 06/04/2019 :  10:21:08 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

Today's progress...

Installed more risers, made the necessary brackets and attached the grade along the long wall, cut and installed the gravel spur, got risers installed for the center doughnut of the access loop and tacked it in place. (Center doughnut will be used to support the sytrofoam cake scenery/etc). Had to run some errands, so I wasn't at it steady all day into the evening. (One of those errands was picking more drywall screws: 2 lbs of #6 x 1" drywall screws, 2 lbs of #6 x 1 1/4" , and 2 lbs of 1 5/8"!)

In another good, productive, day or two, I think I'll be ready to start cutting/installing Homasote.

Here's some pics:

An overview of the peninsula cove...

The gravel spur is the "switchback" looking spur on the wall that goes to the corner on the right. It will essentially be hidden by scenery and will be used as a "stage industry" (i.e. I won't be modeling the actual plant.) The plant will be switched off the main at the switch for same, and the inbound empties will just need to be shoved up well into the clear, and the gravel plant will take it from there. Maxed out, it should hold up to around a dozen gravel hoppers (1960s) or 13-14 wooden gondolas (1880s).

Here's a closer look at the horseshoe curve area...

There was a LOT of piddly-diddly to get this corner to this point!!

And, looking back at the area from within the cove...

Note: The lowered portion on the outer circumference of the loop will be used for scenic form support as well as fascia attachment points.

So, that wraps it up for tonight.

Tomorrow's a brand new day, and I intend to spend much of it out in the Hut making more progress.

All fer now!

Andre

OK Hogger
Crew Chief

Posted - 06/06/2019 :  09:58:36 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Short day yesterday, but still accomplished some things:

* All underpinnings in place (risers/braces/etc)

* Homasote installed to half around the horseshoe.

I should wrap up the Homasote roadbed installation today and be ready to start cleaning out the room in advance of track laying. I kind of need it to stop raining so I can back the pick up truck over toward the door and load up scraps/etc for a trip to the dump. All in good time, I suppose.

Couple pics from yesterday afternoon:

All fer now!

Andre

railman28
Fireman

Posted - 06/06/2019 :  12:24:41 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Looking really good. So on the right, against the wall, the lower loop that starts nowhere and loop around to the wall is for scenery support? How are you going to mount your backdrops?

Bob Harris

It's only make-believe

OK Hogger
Crew Chief

Posted - 06/06/2019 :  2:05:24 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Bob!

Thanks. Getting there slowly.

Yes, in the horseshoe curve area, the lowest loop of plywood is for fascia attachment and styrofoam landform support.

The hardboard for the backdrop is already in place on the walls. (Look closely and you'll note surfaces above layout is not wood paneling.)

As for the backdrop: I will cove the corners and fill/smooth nail holes/seams after I reach the point that I can. The complication is that the backdrops for the lower level will have to cover the L-brackets that will support the upper level, so no backdrop work until I can do it all at one time. Once I get to that point, a sky blue backdrop behind all portions of the layout will make a HUGE difference! I always love the impact it makes to paint the prepped backdrop surfaces for a layout.

Lunchtime is over. Out to the Hut to finish installing the Homasote. Haven't made up my mind whether to look for things that need to be sawed/fitted and get those things installed while the Hut is still messy, or to call it good for now and start clean-up prior to track laying. (The piddly items still needing to be sawed/fitted can be done during the next "construction" session.)

Decisions, decisions!

Andre

OK Hogger
Crew Chief

Posted - 06/06/2019 :  4:05:46 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Bob:

As for what I have in mind for the horseshoe corner...

I intend to create a "holler" scene that curves around behind hill and out of sight.

The holler already has a name: "Buck Hollow". At the base of "Buck Hollow" will be the small creek "Buck Creek" that "flows" toward its confluence with Possum Creek. (Said confluence unmodeled/unseen, of course!)

I can "see" the scene in my mind's eye, and I think I can make it work.

Here's what I have in mind...

Here's the same pic in which I've crudely sketched on some outlines, and down below the pic some explanatory notes:

On the front wall with window ("A"), the 3D scenery will be contoured similar to the illustration. As can be plainly seen, the "holler" scene will simply follow the scenic floor baseboard around and out of sight, at which point it will cease to exist.

I intend to build the "Buck Hollow" scene entirely of extruded styrofoam ("cake" construction) as a "lift out" so it can be built at the workbench and dropped into place as it progresses (and can be removed later when finished for any access issues). I will hide the seams with strategically glued-on foliage/etc.

The back wall marked "B" will likewise have foreground and/or distant mountains to help support the effect of a hollow disappearing out of sight.

The landform at "C" will be a hollow-backed sytrofoam also of "cake" construction. It's hollow in the back to allow for stand up access later to address any issues that may arise in the future. This 3D mountain will be above eye level so as to help with the ruse.

The vantage point illustrated by "D" (i.e. looking toward wall "A" (in the direction of the arrow) will result in seeing nothing but expanse of Ozark mountains, for I will be covering the window with a Velcro-attached mountain photographic "flat" (removable for access to the window when needed), and the backdrop will actually extend to the edge of the entry door for maximum effect.

As you can see, the walls already have hardboard installed in advance for the backdrop prep (cove the corners then fill/sand nail holes/seams) and subsequent backdrop work.

Does this help to see why the scenic base, as well as the hardboard that's already in place?

Andre

railman28
Fireman

Posted - 06/06/2019 :  5:09:22 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes, that's going to be neat indeed. Very unique too. I see the hardboard but I think you should round out the corners with at least a six inch radius. t's going to be exciting watching you finish this.

Bob

It's only make-believe

OK Hogger
Crew Chief

Posted - 06/06/2019 :  5:15:36 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi again Bob!

Yes, as with my last two layouts, all backdrop corners will be coved.

All fer now!

Andre

masonamerican
Fireman

Posted - 06/08/2019 :  03:46:00 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
What progress Andre! The benchwork looks first rate.

The lift out sounds like a good idea sparing the back.

Håkan

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 06/08/2019 :  08:51:50 AM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Andre, that’s going to look real. The plan for the railroad running along the side of a mountain sounds very colorful and I can picture early locomotives and small cars running up the grade.

Mike

OK Hogger
Crew Chief

Posted - 06/08/2019 :  10:32:19 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Guys!

Håkan:

Thanks. I went through a long slack period on the layout on account of my motorcycles and other interests, but now that our steaming hot weather is here, I expect to spend time consistently out in my Hobby Hut making progress.

Mike:

Thanks Mike! Running on the side of a mountain was common in the Ozarks for railroads... but (of course) won't be anywhere near the drama or as spectacular as what could be found in Colorado. However, I intend to make the attempt at modeling some of the features that make the Ozarks interesting in their own way: Some bluffs (the Ozarks have little mini-bluffs from, say 20' and up to large one's some 200'), fast flowing creeks, and other stuff. I also plan to add big huge "plop boulders" (my term). "Plop boulders" are large boulders that were seemingly just plopped down on the ground by God himself. Plop boulders are found in many places in the Ozarks. Used sparingly (and thus, hopefully, more effectively), I think they will make for added interest instead of just mountain land forms covered with polyfiber/foam "balls".

As for the layout: In the process of starting the clean up in advance of returning to track laying. Homasote dust is EVERYWHERE, in every crack and crevice, on every flat surface.

Here's what I started with yesterday morning:

Here's what it looked like when I walked out yesterday afternoon:

Today, I start with the vacuum work: Cleaning all opened boxes as well as the vacuuming the benchwork surfaces/objects piled thereon. That finished, it will be rearrange the storage shelves to their final resting places, finish up any leftover cleaning... and then FINALLY: I'll be ready to lay track again.

Parting shot: I have a hope of having the layout w/track 100% functional by the end of Summer. THEN I can slow up, run a few trains to test the track for a bit.

Then it will be time for one more messy construction phase: Install backdrops, add the scenic base for "Possum Creek" that will run alongside the roadbed for about 8'-10', and cut/install the fascia and overhead valance prior to the overhead lighting.

All fer now!

Andre

deemery
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 06/08/2019 :  10:35:41 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Would you like to come and help me clean -my- layout room? Looks great, it's sometimes hard to get motivated to work on the layout when the rest of the room is a mess.

dave

Modeling 1890s (because the voices in my head told me to)

OK Hogger
Crew Chief

Posted - 06/08/2019 :  12:09:02 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Dave:

Know what 'cha mean!

How far do you live from the forlorn town of Patootey (Poteau) here in Okiestate?

A clean layout room does WONDERS for one's (my) layout motivation.

Likewise, a clean/organized work bench does WONDERS for one's (my) modeling motivation.

I'm looking forward to both.

Alas, lots of piddly-diddly dusting/vacuuming before that time.

Which reminds me, I need to put down the keyboard and get back out to the Hut and keep vacuuming.

Had to stop and clean the vacuum's filters AND the HVAC's filters. Vacuum filters were terribly clogged. HVAC filters were at the "concerned" stage, but the cleanable filters therein helped keep the coils in fair shape. Still, though, spent considerable time with the brush attachment on the vacuum hose carefully cleaning the coils.

All fer now... back to work!

Andre

Edited by - OK Hogger on 06/08/2019 12:09:42 PM

railman28
Fireman

Posted - 06/08/2019 :  1:02:41 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
OH, a mess! Ilove it!..... Oh, never mind you ruined it.

Bob

It's only make-believe

Page: of 54 Previous Topic: Projects in Progress on the Southern Central RR Topic Next Topic: New W&N  
 New Topic |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-19 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.64 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000