Railroad Line Forums - Promised Update...
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 7 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 83 ]  [ Total: 90 ]  [ Newest Member: Movidium ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Early Rail Forum
 Promised Update...
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Projects in Progress on the Southern Central RR Topic Next Topic: New W&N
Page: of 54

OK Hogger
Crew Chief

Posted - 04/13/2019 :  12:17:02 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yup, Bob, I think it is, too.

It is my hope to simply keep pecking away at it and I figure (in view of my traits) there will be ebbs and flows of intensity along the way. Given my functional ADHD that I suspect I may have, spreading my energy over several different outlets helps to keep burnout in check for any one project. I have the rest of my life to indulge, so I'm going to do my best to enjoy the journey.

FWIW:

Waiting on an old railroading/model railroading friend of mine (Jimmy) to arrive. He's bringing a couple guys along with him. Jimmy would like for them to see the layout as well as hear some of my DCC/Sound equipped... um... diesels. I warned him that my Hobby Hut is NOTHING like it was last time he was here! (It was all clean and orderly with the first section functional.) Instead it's a mess of sawdust and Homasote dust, cut offs, slabs of plywood and Homasote, tools, etc, etc! Almost depressing! BUT, construction is like that.

I originally intended to spend most of the day out in the Hut working on the layout... but plans changed. However, I did run out to the Hobby Hut and trimmed the outside border of the horseshoe curve area for less aisle obstruction for the "official tour". At least I did "peck away" at it!

All fer now.

Andre

Edited by - OK Hogger on 04/13/2019 12:22:18 PM

railman28
Fireman

Posted - 04/13/2019 :  12:43:08 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by OK Hogger
[br it's a mess of sawdust and Homasote dust, cut offs, slabs of plywood and Homasote, tools, etc, etc!
Andre

Sounds like paradise to me!

Just saying!
Bob

It's only make-believe

OK Hogger
Crew Chief

Posted - 04/13/2019 :  1:34:52 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Good way of looking at it, Bob!

When I think about it, this is probably the last "complex" layout I'll be building... so I do need to enjoy every aspect of it.

(However, I do have a small one that might be in my future, too. But that's another story best told another time.)

Andre

deemery
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 04/13/2019 :  4:21:31 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Andre, I have one of these that I move from the wood shop area to the train room whenever I do something dusty in the train room. Works quite well: https://www.grizzly.com/products/Grizzly-Hanging-Air-Filter-3-Speed/G0738 It's on sale -today-. (No financial connection, just a happy customer.)

dave

Modeling 1890s (because the voices in my head told me to)

OK Hogger
Crew Chief

Posted - 04/14/2019 :  4:05:12 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Dave!

Thanks for the suggestion. Not sure I wan't to divert some of my hobby funds into one of those... but it would be nice!

Andre

masonamerican
Fireman

Posted - 05/01/2019 :  4:28:46 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Andre,
I hope you had a nice time with not to much beer:-)

Any updates on the homasote mess?

HŚkan

OK Hogger
Crew Chief

Posted - 06/02/2019 :  7:11:54 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It's been a while since an update.

Amid the motorcycle things, I've renewed working on my Hobby Hut Ozark theme layout.

Lately I have begun putting down Homasote and cookie cutting the plywood, and installing the grades. Going very slow. However, if I can continue making progress, I will likely have the grades in place, the Homasote installed, and ready to AT LONG LAST clean up the mess and return to track laying. (Clean up is going to be a huge task, there's Homasote dust in every crevice and on everything.)

Here's a picture looking from the end of the penisula:

There's more that's been accomplished since the above picture, but right now the plywood is disassembled, being cookie cut, and grades being installed, so it's a mess for sure.

Once I started putting in the grades, I was a bit shocked (okay, a LOT shocked) at just how much grade there is going to be! The climb begins immediately leaving the lowest town of Ozarka, and climbs steadily around the end of the peninsula, the other side of the peninsula, along the long wall on the right, loops back and continues to climb all along the wall again. 50+ feet of grade.

The grade won't pose much impact when running my diesel era on account of multiple powered units BUT...

I'm excited and anxious to see what kind of impact the grade will have on the small steam engines of 1880s theme! I planned it so I will have actual tonnage ratings, thus northbound trains from the south stage will HAVE to have a helper (or helpers) in order to surmount the tough climb up to Piney Gap.

Given that the heat is now arriving in earnest here in the Sunbelt, I suspect I will began making more consistent progress on my Ozark layout.

All fer now!

Andre

railman28
Fireman

Posted - 06/02/2019 :  11:54:44 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes. 19th century steam does not like grades in general but the Bachmann traction tired Americans should do alright. Your grades don't look that heavy. In that 50' how much vertical clime are they doing? I have a twice around layout so grades were unavoidable. I plan a lot of double heading and helper service. With the new decoder with their load interpreting programming the trains working the grades should sound pretty good too.

Keep up the good work

Bob

It's only make-believe

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 06/03/2019 :  12:11:13 AM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Andre,

Fine job youíre doing. What kind of saw blade are you using on the homasote? Iíve been told a knife-like blade cuts down the dust.

Mike

_______________________________________________________________________________________________
Nobody living can ever stop me, as I go walking that freedom highway -- Woody Guthrie

OK Hogger
Crew Chief

Posted - 06/03/2019 :  12:30:29 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi 'ya Bob!

The main will be climbing about 18"-19" spread over more than 50'. The maximum gradient should be below 3%.

I'm not making any special effort to make the grade as constant as practical from top to bottom (by using a gradient level/whatever). No prototype grade is like that. Instead, I'm simply doing the math, then installing the riser(s) accordingly. I expect (and desire) there will be a slight bit of variation as you climb, just like it is on the prototype. Once I can operate trains over up the grade, the hardest pull on the grade will be quickly learned. On the 2.3%-2.69% mountain grade I railroaded on for over 10 years, the hardest pull was getting the train through "Rock Cut". IF you could get the bottom of the train through "Rock Cut", you could climb the rest of the way. (Barring an engine laying down/etc.)

1880s Model Engines:

Yes, I expect my MDC OT engines to be more realistic in regards to reflecting similar prototype tonnage ratings than the traction tire equipped Bachmann 4-4-0's.

ALSO...

I've finalized (I think) the town and some location names. They are as follows.

TOWNS

(North/Upper Stage)

* Mountain Springs (Northernmost modeled town.)

* Piney Gap. (Town at the summit.)

* Limestone Switch

* Jack Fork

* Sawmill Spur

* Ozarka (Timetable crew change location.)

(South/Lower Stage)

LAYOUT FEATURES

* Possum Creek
* Hogback Mountain
* Buck Hollow
* More to come as the layout takes shape.

Now that my motorcycling is winding down for the summer (gets too hot to enjoy riding) and seeing as the garage (where I work on my bikes) will have shorter and shorter cool mornings therein, I find that I'm getting revved-up about making good progress on my Ozark layout that's out in my Hobby Hut.

All fer tonight!

Andre

OK Hogger
Crew Chief

Posted - 06/03/2019 :  12:38:09 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

Okay... so the above was NOT it for tonight! (I have another reply! Yay!)

Michael:

Thanks for the kind words concerning my efforts.

Saw blade:

I'm using a saw-tooth blade in my "saber" saw. The times that I've tried a knife edge blade, it was sooooo S-L-O-W that I couldn't stand it. Trying a new knife edge blade at this point would be moot: The mess is already made and I'm about done for this Homasote session. (i.e. The lower level will be installed.) However, I may try purchasing a knife edge blade when it comes time to start cutting the Homasote for the top level.

All fer now!

Andre

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 06/03/2019 :  11:13:23 AM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Andre,

I confess Iíve never used one; I either use a conventional blade and clean up the mess or I use a utility knife if Iím feeling patient and want a clean edge.

Mike

OK Hogger
Crew Chief

Posted - 06/03/2019 :  2:37:25 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Mike:

I hear 'ya loud and clear on using what 'cha got! At this point, I too, will just clean up the mess.

Made some acceptable progress today before lunch. I've started on the horseshoe curve area. Things are still in shambles, but here's as it was prior to braving the rain to head from the Hut to the house...

Looking into the peninsula cove...

And here's a view from within the peninsula cove looking out...

That slab of plywood will be the base for the little mountain town of "Jack Fork".

Having second thoughts on the name "Possum Creek". An online friend from another MR forum shared that when he read the name it conjured up the mental image of a slow moving lower-land creek ambling along lazily. That's opposite to what I will be building, which will be a faster flowing creek with some rapids. So, we shall see whether the name Possum Creek survives.

Okay, lunch break is over... time to brave the rain and tromp back out to the Hut.

(Inclement weather is a downside to having an out-building!)

Andre

Edited by - OK Hogger on 06/03/2019 2:39:01 PM

OK Hogger
Crew Chief

Posted - 06/03/2019 :  9:46:37 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Tough sloggin' this afternoon. However, I DID get the horseshoe roadbed in place and finalized before supper. I also got the risers installed and temporarily set the floor of the "hollow" in place. When I go back out to the Hut after supper, if I still am satisfied with it, I'll make it final, too.

Here's the way it looked before I walked out the door and headed for the house to eat supper...

Over to the right, where that hardboard section on the wall that's coming at the camera is seen, is where I think I can fit in a "hollow" that curves with the roadbed, and thus disappears out of sight. I can "see" the scene in my mind's eye, and I think I can make it work. However, I may have to lower the plywood "floor" a bit further to allow for the thickness of the styrofoam that will form the scenic base. (I just thought of that.)

SO, upon my return to the Hut after supper, I adjusted the floor of the "hollow" scene downward by 2" to allow for the 2" extruded styrofoam that will serve as the scenic base.

I was then ready to start installing the inside of the horseshoe curve area then happened to think...

If I would quickly make three L-girder brackets, I could tack in place the final grade to the upper level to make sure all my calculations were "good enough".

So I did. I made and installed the little L-girder brackets, screwed the pieces of the grade together, and slapped the re-assembled grade in place. The calculations are good, it arrived where it was supposed to arrive at the height it was supposed to be. Life is good.

SO, in all it was profitable day. I'm going to kick back and goof off now until bedtime, but I can rest easy because there are no more question marks concerning the grade. All I need to do now is wrap up the leftover stuff and then I'll be ready to start cutting Homasote and installing it.

All fer now!

Andre

OK Hogger
Crew Chief

Posted - 06/03/2019 :  11:51:48 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Got my shower, so I'm all clean-up and sitting here relaxing before the bed beckons. Thought I'd muse a bit.

* Making the grade...

I'm relieved that it worked out on that long grade. There was lots of room for a significant error(s) to creep in, but apparently I dodged a bullet! I'm also anxious to see how the little Bachmann NT 4-4-0's perform on the grade. If they pull TOO good for the size of engine they represent, I've already got ideas on how to address that. I'm also looking forward to testing the MDC OT's on this grade, too. I have HIGH hopes for my 1880s era, so I hope my ideas for same turn out as planned.

* Back story...

I've sort of got a "back story" (i.e. a fictional "history" of sorts) for the "reason for being" for my 1880s theme simmering on the burner. I've tried to integrate the history for my freelance "Ozark & Southern" into the fabric of the prototypes that were in the northern portion of the Ozarks during the correct historical timeframes, as well doing so with the primary prototype in the Arkansas River valley area. I also had to come up with a scenario that explains how the same physical railroad came to be the Kansas City & Gulf in the early-mid 1960s. All in good time.

* Tomorrow...

I plan on starting to install the remaining risers under the tacked-in-place grades, and start the process of installing the interior portion of the horseshoe. Hoping to be ready to start cutting Homasote before the weekend.

Well... reckon' that's it for tonight.

See you'ins later!

Andre

Page: of 54 Previous Topic: Projects in Progress on the Southern Central RR Topic Next Topic: New W&N  
 New Topic |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-19 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.75 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000