Railroad Line Forums - Promised Update...
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 4 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 90 ]  [ Total: 94 ]  [ Newest Member: Movidium ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Early Rail Forum
 Promised Update...
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Projects in Progress on the Southern Central RR Topic Next Topic: New W&N
Page: of 54

OK Hogger
Crew Chief

Posted - 02/19/2019 :  4:00:53 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

A muse:

Is this place in the process of drying up as an interchange point for TOC19 ideas/builds/etc? The activity level is WAY DOWN from what it was a few months ago.

IMHO, email lists (though I belong to some that are TOC19 oriented) are not particularly efficient for build threads, nor is Facebook (though I belong to a few TOC19 oriented pages).

My preferred medium is a forum, this one in particular, but the activity level here is pretty discouraging. Seems few frequent this forum, and fewer share input.

Just wondering what other's thoughts are on the subject.

Andre

RyanAK
Engine Wiper

Posted - 03/05/2019 :  06:28:52 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey, man. Keep moving forward and keep posting. I haven't had a chance to check in for some time since I'm a week into 6 weeks of 14 hour days without a day off, living in a hotel. There are a few forums that I belong to and they go through cycles of activity. The bamboo fly rod forum that I've been active on for years is pretty slow this time of year... but will jump in activity next month with trout season openers.

I'm with you. I like forums because of the interaction with others. It's a discussion. I don't do Facebook, but I think I'd still rather a forum for most of my online social time.

I really like where you're going with this layout. It's really going to be fun. Keep on keeping on, pal.

Ryan

Designing a 1905-ish Pennsylvania Short Line
http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=51030&whichpage=1

railman28
Fireman

Posted - 03/05/2019 :  2:07:05 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Exactly, Keep on posting. I'm awaiting prints to arrive from Shapeways. Mental activity doesn't photograph too well so my tread is a bit slow.

Bob

It's only make-believe

OK Hogger
Crew Chief

Posted - 03/05/2019 :  9:50:16 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Ryan and Bob:

Well, thanks for saying so. I had given up on this site and already have a longish thread running about my layout build at another forum I frequent.

I'll skip some of my rhetoric and just catch you two up on my progress.

Feb 20, 2019:

Finished getting the basic bench work w/Homasote in place for the stage and the town of "Ozarka". (Formerly referred to as "Town A".)

Here's a trio of pictures showing the track center lines traced onto the Homasote...

The south stage (looking "layout south"):

Here's looking "layout south" at Ozarka:

Here's looking NORTH at Ozarka:

Feb 21, 2019:

Got the south stage yard installed...

Looking "layout south":

Looking "layout north":

Feb 23, 2019:

I then turned my attention to Ozarka, and laid as much of the town as I had bench work room and track for:

And here's the same picture with annotations to help you see what will be there:

After the above, I was short a key switch needed to complete Ozarka, so I turned my attention to tying together the ends of the reverse loop, running the bus wires and tying the feeders to the busses, thus making all tracks hot. I had to order some more switches (13 of 'em) and a bunch more flex (10 boxes at 18' of track per box).

I then spent a couple evenings or so just piddling and switching some cars at Ozarka, both diesel and steam era. Also, a couple of long time railroading/model railroading friends came over and we spent a day just dinking around with my stuff and the stuff they brought on the layout.

This week, I've started constructing the false wall/benchwork support for the peninsula. Here's what I accomplished yesterday:

My switches arrived last week, and my flex track arrived today, so, as soon as I can get some more benchwork ready for track laying, I can start making hay again.

Still lots to get done... but inch by inch it's a cinch.

All fer now.

Andre

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 03/05/2019 :  11:14:22 PM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Andre,

Glad you’re back to posting. You’ve gotten a lot accomplished.

Mike

_______________________________________________________________________________________________
Nobody living can ever stop me, as I go walking that freedom highway -- Woody Guthrie

ekul24
New Hire

Posted - 03/06/2019 :  04:32:15 AM  Show Profile  Send ekul24 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
That's some fantastic progress Andre. I really like what I see. I'm always checking in here but I am guilty of only commenting/posting on rare occasions. I really enjoy everyone's updates.
Luke

Luke Blackbeard

http://thoroughfaregaprailroad.blogspot.co.nz/

OK Hogger
Crew Chief

Posted - 03/06/2019 :  08:52:48 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

Mike:

"Glad you’re back to posting."

Thanks. I had pretty much given up on this place. Hopefully, we'll all pitch in and be more active. This is a neat meeting point for us TOC19'er freaks. Don't know about you others, but for me, it really helps to exchange ideas and comments in regards to (my) motivation.

"You’ve gotten a lot accomplished."

Once I tackle a project, I tend to get OCD about it. That's good, that's bad. However, I am what I am, so long ago I've made peace with it.

Luke:

"That's some fantastic progress Andre. I really like what I see."

Well thank you for saying so. I'm nearing the "ruling grade" portion of the layout, so it's going to be fun for me to watch it unfold. Still much more lumber work ahead for a spell. However, the needed track work is on hand, so once I'm to the point that track laying can recommence, I should make good time.

"I'm always checking in here but I am guilty of only commenting/posting on rare occasions."

Your absence has been duly noted by me, and I've commented saying so. I always enjoy seeing photos of your layout, your work, as well as shootin' TOC19 bull with you.

"I really enjoy everyone's updates."

I think we all do. I don't know how many others get motivation from input/replies/etc, but I know it sure helps to motivate me.

Gettin' ready to go out to my Hobby Hut and make some more sawdust. More piddly-diddly to be done. There won't be a lot of visible progress... but progress will be made.

All fer now.

Andre

OK Hogger
Crew Chief

Posted - 03/08/2019 :  5:33:22 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Butt Kickin' Time...

And it has been kickin' MY butt, big time. SO much head scratchin' goin' on. Seems I spend more time staring at what needs to be done then sawing and screwing lumber together.

Sometimes I just sit an' try to think, but nuttin' happens!

However, I "think" I've got the basic L-girders and joists hung, now it's time to make the X-braced legs that will turn the lower portion of the peninsula into a large "box" structure (for strength and ridgidity) so as to be a good foundation of the peninsula.

All in good time, I suppose.

Here's a couple of pictures. There is a LOT of expensive fir lumber in what you're seeing!!

All fer now!

Andre

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 03/08/2019 :  9:08:28 PM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Andre,

I like the neat, clean, precise look of your benchwork. Well done.

Mike

_______________________________________________________________________________________________
Nobody living can ever stop me, as I go walking that freedom highway -- Woody Guthrie

railman28
Fireman

Posted - 03/08/2019 :  9:19:39 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Looking good indeed.

It's only make-believe

OK Hogger
Crew Chief

Posted - 03/08/2019 :  11:23:04 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi guys.

Well thank 'ya much for the kind words on the benchwork.

Benchwork is one of those rare times that being somewhat OCD helps. I'm very "symetrical". That is, it REALLY bothers me for things to not be aligned/etc. (Especially a picture on the wall. I'm quite anal about that.)

I must admit that I'm NOT enjoying the this portion of the benchwork as much as I did the other portion. There is SO much piddly-diddly, do/undo, measure, clamp, fit, measure some more, unclamp, cut... rinse and repeat...

However, it WILL be worth it once I'm past this phase.

Tomorrow I start building the leg assemblies. That will be the stabilizer and will strengthen the peninsula tremendously. From there, it will be on around the wall and get bench work in place for The Mountain.

Speaking of the modeled grade: The climb will start immediately upon leaving Ozarka, and will continue until reaching the upper level benchwork, at which point the grade will level out. There's right at 57' of continuous grade. (With one town w/pass track amid the climb.)

I'm looking forward to having the track completed, but that is still a long way off.

All fer now.

Andre

railman28
Fireman

Posted - 03/09/2019 :  4:11:09 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
57' of grade. Sounds promising. Are you going to have helper service? Did I miss a track plan?

It's only make-believe

OK Hogger
Crew Chief

Posted - 03/09/2019 :  4:47:14 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Bob!

Helpers: Absolutely, both era's. That will be a key feature of my theme.

Trackplan:

I have a jpeg of my working copy for the lower level, but it's too big to insert in this thread. (It will make the side-to-side scrolling become maddening.) Suggestions?

Today's progress:

Got the legs and cross bracing installed as well as some more joists. The design turned out exactly as I planned: Once the legs/cross bracing was in, it's solid as a rock. I can sit on the benchwork if I so desire. BTW, you can set the level on any joist or any leg, wall stud, or ?? and it's in plumb and level. (It's that OCD thing kicking in again.)

Here's some pics...

Next up is clear that wall on the right (move the junk over to the OTHER side of the Hut!), and take the framework right on around the wall to the horseshoe curve.

All fer now!

Andre

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 03/09/2019 :  5:46:58 PM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Andre,

Building benchwork absolutely level is not obsessive, it's simply planning for the future by providing a constant point of reference for building grades.

Mike

railman28
Fireman

Posted - 03/09/2019 :  8:01:30 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by OK Hogger

Hi Bob!

Helpers: Absolutely, both era's. That will be a key feature of my theme.

Trackplan:

I have a jpeg .... too big to insert in this thread. Suggestions?

Today's progress:

Got the legs

Andre

Yes! I love the look of helpers. I don't have the room to model the grade but the trains leave ready to battle it.

Email me your JPEG. I'll scale it and post it for you.

cbnwvrr4@gmail.com

Nice legs, but I like Legs.

Bob

It's only make-believe

Page: of 54 Previous Topic: Projects in Progress on the Southern Central RR Topic Next Topic: New W&N  
 New Topic |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-19 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.67 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000