Railroad Line Forums - Promised Update...
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 2 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 70 ]  [ Total: 72 ]  [ Newest Member: jfields ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Early Rail Forum
 Promised Update...
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Projects in Progress on the Southern Central RR Topic Next Topic: New W&N
Page: of 54

OK Hogger
Crew Chief

Posted - 01/19/2019 :  8:56:42 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yup, I'll take it, Bob.

I was going to replace the chimney on all of the AHM depots anyway.

Can't remember, did we do PayPal on the cattle cars? Or did I send a paper check? How do you want payment? Wait until you know the shipping?

Andre

railman28
Fireman

Posted - 01/19/2019 :  9:04:16 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
PayPal
is best for me.
I'll need your address again.

Bob

It's only make-believe

OK Hogger
Crew Chief

Posted - 01/19/2019 :  10:49:21 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Bob:

Sent you an email via that feature here.

Andre

railman28
Fireman

Posted - 01/19/2019 :  11:23:07 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Andre, It has actually changed. The new one is;
cbnwvrr4@gmail.com

Bob

It's only make-believe

RyanAK
Engine Wiper

Posted - 01/21/2019 :  08:50:20 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Can you put the MP tank on the IHC structure?

Designing a 1905-ish Pennsylvania Short Line
http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=51030&whichpage=1

OK Hogger
Crew Chief

Posted - 01/21/2019 :  1:15:06 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Ryan!

That could probably be possible. I'd have to retain the joists under the MP tank. However, I'm trying to decide which of the two I like best in regards to overall look and bulk. The thought crossed my mind to replace the oversized IHC spout with an Alexander spout (only one I could find). However, the MP has a smaller footprint, and that's always important when space is tight, as is the case with my layout space/track plan.

I only want two tanks: One at the crew change town at the bottom of the grade, one up top of the grade. Really, given the short lengths of ruling grades dealt with in the Ozarks (compared to the looooong grades in the Rockies), I could likely do with one tank (at the bottom), but I kind'a like the idea of two.

Example: The northbound 2.69% Boston Mountain ruling grade on the Frisco was between Chester, AR (MP 386) and the summit at Winslow, AR (MP 375), a distance of 11 miles, yet there was only a tank at Chester as I recall (none at the summit town of Winslow). The actual hardest part of the pull began at Porter (later Schaberg), AR, which is MP 381. SO, the worst part of the climb was only about 6 miles long. So, I could go with only 1 tank and still be within a prototype example. FWIW: The nearest tank downgrade (south) of Chester was at Lancaster, MP 396, and to the north of the summit at West Fork, MP 362, a whopping 24 miles from Chester. BY the way... that "paltry" 6 miles of the stiffest grade between Porter/Schaberg and Winslow could easily take 45 minutes or longer to surmount. Been there, done that in diesel powered trains on that grade.

Anyway, I'm sort of leaning toward using the MP tank, but modified. Thinking about removing the angle of the supporting bents so that the supporting bents are perpendicular to the ground, and fashioning simulated concrete footings w/ersatz "threaded bolt" pegs sticking up. Once painted concrete and weathered, the concrete footings would be glued in place and blended into the layout's scenery. The "threaded bolt" pegs will fit into the underside of the tank bents and presto: Easy on/off for era swapping. When in "diesel mode", the remaining concrete footings indicate where the old water tank "used" to be.

Today's project: Work on some final touches on the track plan.

Darn. Wish my old scanner worked. I could scan/stitch the track plan together and share it here via a download link.

All fer now.

Andre

deemery
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 01/21/2019 :  3:44:34 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Grandt Line made a tank spout. You might be able to find that at a hobby shop that has stock of Grant parts.

dave

Modeling 1890s (because the voices in my head told me to)

OK Hogger
Crew Chief

Posted - 01/22/2019 :  08:36:23 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Dave!

IF I decide to go with the IHC tank (larger), I would most definitely want a smaller spout.

I sort of like the overall proportions of the MP tank better (it doesn't overpower the small steam as much)... but I think it will be more work to make it into something that I could be more pleased with. (Mainly reworking the angled bent configuration into more conventional supporting bents.) Then again, the larger proportions of the IHC tank emphasize the smaller steam. SO... I reckon it could end up going either way?

However, I will need at most two tanks, so it's not like there would be a stack of MP or IHC water tank kits to modify.

FWIW: I would prefer a plastic spout (Grandt Line) over a soft metal casting (Alexander) for ease of working with it. (Drilling holes and such.)

Decisions, decisions... and most of them fun!

Andre

Edited by - OK Hogger on 01/22/2019 08:38:33 AM

OK Hogger
Crew Chief

Posted - 01/22/2019 :  10:29:00 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sometimes... you just luck out.

I remembered from waaaaay back when that I had some Campbell's corrugated aluminum "somewhere". I thought I recalled having a few sheets, but couldn't remember the dimensions.

I figured I'd never find it among all the old Athearn/MDC boxes I have with "stuff" in them, besides likely up in the attic. I intend to use the stuff to sheath the diesel era version of AHM/Life Like's "Branch Line Engine House". SO... I hit eBay to take a look and OMG!!

I didn't realize that stuff wasn't made of aluminum but apparently GOLD! For example, there was a four pack assortment of NIP Campbell corrugated offerings, for a mere $24.99 plus shipping.

Hm, okay, let's back burner the idea of stocking up just yet.

Instead let's go out to the hobby house to measure some items as well as look for another item I recall having (an NMRA HO Standards Gauge). Got my measurements and as I was looking for that darn standards gauge... lo and behold!

I found my Campbell corrugated aluminum!

BUT, it wasn't some odd loose sheets I thought, or even one pack, no, I found three NIP's of the stuff! One 8', one 10', and one 12'. Quick check indicates I'll need the 8' and 10' packs and I OUGHT to have enough on hand to do the diesel version engine house. (BTW, still no luck on finding that standards gauge!)

Life is good.

Now, if I could just find that standards gauge.

Andre

OK Hogger
Crew Chief

Posted - 01/22/2019 :  10:59:35 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
OH... forgot to say...

IF I can find a Grandt Line spout, I think I'm going to modify the IHC tank and use it.

I will want to:

* Replace the clunky spout casting.

* Make new concrete footings. (And maybe see if I can painlessly remove a bit of height off the support bents.)

And MAY want to:

* Shorten the tank by one tension band (cut off the top band) for a tank with more "squat" to it and not so much height. Similar to many of the North Arkansas' tanks. Here's an example of the North Arkansas' most common tank, this one at the town of Everton, AR:

Reason: Though I like the MP tank's overall proportions, frankly, my line won't be a short line or branch line per se. Instead, it's a 160 mile "trunk" line running several trains a day, thus the water tank tank at the bottom of the stiffest grade on the system needs to be a bit more substantial than the "branch line" type tank the MP reflects, me thinks.

(Note: I'm using the North Arkansas as my main guideline, for it was a less-than-huge "main line" type Ozark operation, but not as "main line" as the Frisco through the Ozarks, though I'm also drawing from the Frisco for guidelines as well.)

HOWEVER, I think I'll go ahead and modify/use the smaller tank up at the top of the grade as an "emergency/if needed" type tank for helpers/etc.

If the above proves "so"...then I'm finished buying tanks.

Least ways, that's my story and I'm 'a thinkin' I jist might stick to it.

Andre

railman28
Fireman

Posted - 01/22/2019 :  11:08:30 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
just fine a Campbel kits water Tank at a reasonable price. They're mainline size.
Did you change your mind on the station?

It's only make-believe

OK Hogger
Crew Chief

Posted - 01/22/2019 :  11:46:53 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Rob!

Nope, I haven't change my mind... thought you were going to let me know the total? Hmm... just a sec.

DUH!!! Upon rereading your post here... I see I'm the one that blew it! You done gave me the total!

Off to PayPal to forward you the funds...

Okay, back. You should have the funds in your PayPal account now! Thanks again for the depot AND your patience. Sure glad you brought that up again! Sorry for my mental malfunction! (I'm sort of getting used to that now.)

Campbell Tank:

I'll have to take a look. Never been much on wood kits... lovin' me some styrene instead. However, stranger things have happened in my modeling world!

All fer now.

Andre

Edited by - OK Hogger on 01/22/2019 11:55:11 AM

railman28
Fireman

Posted - 01/22/2019 :  4:27:25 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Andre,
I got the Money, Thanks.
Here's a plastic one;
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Walthers-Cornerstone-933-3531-HO-Scale-Wood-Water-Tank-Plastic-Kit/391708265013?epid=1150658702&hash=item5b33a1ca35:rk:39:pf:0

It's only make-believe

OK Hogger
Crew Chief

Posted - 01/22/2019 :  5:07:11 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Bob:

Glad the funds arrived safe and sound. Sorry again about the mix up on my part.

Atlas tank:

The Atlas water tank you linked looks to have a steel beam supporting structure. Me thinks such modernism t'would be a bit out of place in the quite primitive Ozarks of the 1880s. (All Ozark tanks I've seen in TOC19 pictures show wood supports.)

However, you do raise a good point: Even the vintage Atlas water tank kit is quite detailed and comes complete with a nicely scaled water spout assembly IN THE BOX.

Hm. I can always modify the supporting bents to lower the tank a bit to more reflect the stance of the North Arkansas tank I pictured above. However, I THINK I recall the Atlas tank portion being tapered... so taking height off the top of the tank will cause fit issues with the roof. SO, that might not be too practical. I don't EVEN want to model an open top tank (as pictured above)... that adds even more work. (Need to model the impression of wood slats in the inside as well as modeling water/etc!)

Rant mode << ON >>

Okay fella's, riddle me this: A few weeks ago when I was NOT needing more of the AHM Rural Depots, when I would search for various structures I would see them listed on eBay for as little as $5-$7 NIB, with no takers. Now that I've decided to use them... they're getting bought-up at $16+ and added shipping!!

Whiskey Tango Foxtrot????

Rant mode << OFF >>

All fer this 'un.

Andre

OK Hogger
Crew Chief

Posted - 01/22/2019 :  5:35:34 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
FWIW:

Just picked up a NIB Atlas vintage molds water tank for a look-see off eBay for $9.90 shipping included.

Sometimes I'm such a sucker.

Andre

Page: of 54 Previous Topic: Projects in Progress on the Southern Central RR Topic Next Topic: New W&N  
 New Topic |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-19 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.45 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000