Railroad Line Forums - Promised Update...
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 4 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 130 ]  [ Total: 134 ]  [ Newest Member: neiler ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Early Rail Forum
 Promised Update...
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: The freelance California Railway & Navigation Co Topic Next Topic: Early Railroad Equipment into the 50s
Page: of 22

OK Hogger
Engine Wiper

Posted - 07/31/2018 :  3:46:03 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

Just received an email from one of the suppliers I have dealt with in the past: You can add "Trainworx" to the list.

Andre

hminky
Fireman

Posted - 07/31/2018 :  4:04:34 PM  Show Profile  Visit hminky's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Ya' dance with the devil, China was always a Faustian bargain.

Harold

railman28
Fireman

Posted - 07/31/2018 :  5:12:00 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
has any of these companies given any reason for their closer?

It's only make-believe

deemery
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 08/01/2018 :  2:24:57 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by railman28

has any of these companies given any reason for their closer?

A Chinese manufacturer for a lot of model RR companies closed suddenly, see http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=50778 I hope the impacted companies can get their tooling back. There are horror stories about factories closing and keeping the tooling (property of the foreign kit supplier).

dave

Modeling 1890s (because the voices in my head told me to)

OK Hogger
Engine Wiper

Posted - 08/01/2018 :  3:47:35 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Mike:

The rumored reason is the aging of the original founder and his offspring do not wish to continue with the company.

Andre

Gloucesterman
New Hire

Posted - 08/01/2018 :  4:02:05 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The company at issue is Affa Technology, a Hong Kong based, family firm that produced not only model trains but electronic and other consumer goods for North American affiliates, using factories in mainland China. The closing was not due to finances or politics as has been widely speculated on other forums. The owner and CEO, Kwok-kit Ku, who had run the company since its founding (when Hong was under British rule) did not want to take it public, and with no family member to replace him at the helm, he decided to close it down. Over half a dozen North American train importers are going to be affected, and they will probably be hard put to find alternate suppliers in the immediate future.

That is because this is the second big shut down of Chinese model producers. Back around 2008, another outsourcer for Western companies, Sanda Kan, was bought up by a rival Hong Kong firm called Kadar. Kadar's intent was not only to eliminate a local rival but to weaken the Western firms Sanda Kan supplied. Kadar, which had purchased Bachmann earlier, was then using that firm as a cover to buy up other Western firms to directly enter both the North American and European model train markets. And by closing Sanda Kan's production to outsiders, Kadar, sought to enhance its own market position at their expense.

So, again, that closing wasn't due to the model industry having become unprofitable. Indeed Kadar has done almost too well. Since becoming perhaps the dominant firm in the model train industry, it attracted the attention of J.P. Morgan who staged a highly leveraged financial takeover, leaving Kadar with a heavy debt service. That may impact it more than rising costs in China in the next few years.

Frank

OK Hogger
Engine Wiper

Posted - 08/02/2018 :  12:47:56 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Leaving the concerns of the infamous China Syndrome striking again... and update:

(Drum roll, please.)

I bit the bullet and ordered all the flex track I think I'll need!

7 bundles of Micro Engineering Unweathered Code 70 Flex Track will be heading my way.

Pretty fair amount of change was spent... but I wanted all of the flex track on hand so if Micro Engineering gets in trouble with a supplier, ain't my issue.

Once track is in hand, it will be figure out what lumber items I need to get started, and get those on hand.

All fer now!

Andre

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 08/02/2018 :  08:16:04 AM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Andre,

There’s nothing like piles of track and lumber for motivation. And I bet you can hear that empty space calling out “fill me up with layout.”

Mike

_______________________________________________________________________________________________
Nobody living can ever stop me, as I go walking that freedom highway -- Woody Guthrie

railman28
Fireman

Posted - 08/02/2018 :  11:49:39 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

I got to give you an At'a boy! That's a step away from the arm chair.

It's only make-believe

OK Hogger
Engine Wiper

Posted - 08/02/2018 :  12:58:18 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Mike:

Hopefully so!

Ordered last night after midnight (isn't online purchasing wonderful?)... and this morning received an email "Shipped" notification w/tracking # from Micro-Mark. Fast service!

FWIW: I purchased 7 bundles at $28.95 per bundle + shipping. That was the best deal I could find on the net.

I figure the track should be here next week sometime.

Andre

Edited by - OK Hogger on 08/02/2018 5:39:10 PM

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 08/02/2018 :  2:55:02 PM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Andre,

It’s not everyone’s favorite but ME code 70 track is what I use at home. I like the look and also the way it stays bent when you bend it. Our club uses code 83 in the usuals brands; when I use it and the track springs back in a moment of inattention I just want to strangle somebody with it.

Good thing I never have.

Mike

_______________________________________________________________________________________________
Nobody living can ever stop me, as I go walking that freedom highway -- Woody Guthrie

railman28
Fireman

Posted - 08/02/2018 :  3:11:47 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I too use ME code 70. And, I like it.

It's only make-believe

deemery
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 08/02/2018 :  4:33:09 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You have to be careful with ME Code 70 and smaller, the scale spike heads can break off (too) easily. I have one stretch of track where the spikes broke off and I'll have to figure out how to respike that section down.

dave

Modeling 1890s (because the voices in my head told me to)

OK Hogger
Engine Wiper

Posted - 08/02/2018 :  6:32:50 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I reckon you'll be able to add me to the ME user base, now!

Dave:

I have gauges and spikes n' stuff left over from hand laying days... so if the molded spikes sheer... no biggie.

Andre

OK Hogger
Engine Wiper

Posted - 08/03/2018 :  7:57:08 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Itty bitty update:

Received two more Mehano cattle cars today that are in near mint condition at only $3.99 each. Got 'em both for something like $12 shipping and all! These additional two should give me plenty of cattle cars for the fall rush now. (Think I have ten or more?)

All fer now!

Andre

Page: of 22 Previous Topic: The freelance California Railway & Navigation Co Topic Next Topic: Early Railroad Equipment into the 50s  
 New Topic |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-17 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.39 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000