Railroad Line Forums - Promised Update...
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 3 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 101 ]  [ Total: 104 ]  [ Newest Member: Midwest Mark ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Early Rail Forum
 Promised Update...
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Projects in Progress on the Southern Central RR Topic Next Topic: The freelance California Railway & Navigation Co
Page: of 22

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 06/27/2018 :  8:47:29 PM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Andre,

I’m not sure early rail is a large market but its devotees seem willing to buy what they want. There aren’t many models available so the few of us interested are in competition.

I agree with what Dave wrote with regard to turntables. Even at rock-bottom prices you might not be at all satisfied with what you got.

If you look at almost any article on scratchbuilding a turntable you’ll see that much text is devoted to the mechanism. It requires a fair amount of precision.

Mike

_______________________________________________________________________________________________
Nobody living can ever stop me, as I go walking that freedom highway -- Woody Guthrie

OK Hogger
Engine Wiper

Posted - 06/28/2018 :  09:41:15 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You guys are probably right. The quality might not be what I would hope for. I don't recall ever building the Mil-Scale kit I had. I've only scratch built one turntable (diesel era). I used a 1/4" jack for the pivot/electrical transfer. Worked pretty good, but I'd do some things differently if I end up having to scratch the two TT's I have planned into the layout.

I have considered Diamond Scale's gallows table/pit... but I think it's 65'. Given the additional thickness of the pit wall, such a table might not fit in the spaces available on the track plan. May have to scratch build my own again. Thus, was going to save some time by using a kit for the table portion. We shall see how it all turns out!

All fer this 'un.

Andre

railman28
Fireman

Posted - 06/28/2018 :  2:48:01 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Andre, the Bowser turntable is a good one. Both cosmetically and mechanically. I got one of their "N" scale turntable, added HO track and used it until I got Freshwater's Sellers Kit. It worked very well.

It's only make-believe

OK Hogger
Engine Wiper

Posted - 06/28/2018 :  5:18:30 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Bob:

Well, as typical for me, a quick Google search indicates the Bowser turntable is out of production. Another quick search of eBay results in nada. Sooo typical. When it comes to TOC19 supplies, seems I'm always a "day late and a dollar short" as they say!

However, a bit of good news:

My Shinohara switch order from England arrived today in good order. I now have two #6 R's and one #6 RHC switches in hand. I guess that makes flex track next on the priority list.

With a bit of luck, I just might be sawing lumber in a few weeks.

Andre

masonamerican
Fireman

Posted - 07/17/2018 :  04:33:12 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Andre, I have the Diamond Scale turntable and it gives good service. Although its very sensitive to humidity due to the wood construction of the foundation. I have now a dehumidifier in the basement keeping the humidity level. Before my locomotives ran down on the bridge in winter and up on it in summer :-)

Sounds great with the Shinoharas! I hope to see some building progress soon.

Håkan

OK Hogger
Engine Wiper

Posted - 07/19/2018 :  10:16:23 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for your input, Håkan!

As for layout progress: Not gonna' happen real soon. Wife's mom is aging fast, and we're involved in the expenses incurred. Makes me quite hesitant right now to start immediately spending money by the hundreds, and can reach an outgo into the thousands within a year or so. Regardless of the arguments to the contrary, experience has taught me that layouts are not cheap by any means.

So, in a holding pattern (with minimal outlay) for now.

Andre

railman28
Fireman

Posted - 07/19/2018 :  11:04:03 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Layouts are not cheap. Just yesterday I watched "What's Neat this Week" by Ken Patterson on YouTube. He estimated they cost about $150.00 a square foot. That agree with my estimate I made back in the 70's adjusted for inflation.

It's only make-believe

deemery
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 07/19/2018 :  2:27:14 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by railman28

Layouts are not cheap. Just yesterday I watched "What's Neat this Week" by Ken Patterson on YouTube. He estimated they cost about $150.00 a square foot. That agree with my estimate I made back in the 70's adjusted for inflation.

Don't anyone -dare- tell my wife that!!!!

dave

Modeling 1890s (because the voices in my head told me to)

OK Hogger
Engine Wiper

Posted - 07/22/2018 :  11:29:47 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Say... what line of business/supplier would I need to hit in order to find rolls of "butcher paper", preferably at least 24" wide? I'm thinking about making a full-size template on the floor of the out building to see how things will fit/etc.

Andre

OK Hogger
Engine Wiper

Posted - 07/22/2018 :  11:43:25 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well that didn't take long. Google to the rescue: Staples.

I hope to make a trip to Fort Smith and pick up a roll or two sometime this week.

All fer now.

Andre

deemery
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 07/23/2018 :  12:25:30 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
After you get the paper laid out on the floor, consider doing chalk lines to add 1' square boxes to your paper template. Spray it with some sort of clear fixative so you don't smear the chalk after you snap the line.

dave

Modeling 1890s (because the voices in my head told me to)

Edited by - deemery on 07/23/2018 12:26:57 PM

OK Hogger
Engine Wiper

Posted - 07/29/2018 :  4:59:24 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi All:

I'm sure by now most/all of you have heard this news, taken from the Atlas model RR website:

"Atlas has received notification from one of our locomotive and rolling stock suppliers that they have closed their factory. (Please note Atlas track and accessories are NOT affected by this delay.) Atlas is currently working with our network of suppliers to transfer the projects to others for completion. This will cause a delay in some previously ordered products. We apologize for this delay, thank you for your continued support, and will update you with more information as it becomes available."

In the comments following such a posting at another model RR forum, this post was made:

"Reportedly the factory also did work for Athearn, Intermountain, Fox Valley, Scale Trains, Walthers and others."

I'm trying to source the above statement. My personal feelings is that it is not accurate, for in a subsequent post, another poster stated:

"Scaletrains has repeatedly posted they use their own factory. They even did a video of it."

Thus, the "Reportedly the factory also did work for" post has proved to contain at least one error.

Thus far, I have found nothing on Athearn's webpage concerning the factory closing that Atlas confirmed, as to Athearn being affected by the same closing.

Of course, IF the above "reportedly" follow-up information proves to be accurate in regards to Athearn, that might put the re-run/upgrade of the Athearn/Roundhouse Old Timer 2-8-0 in jeopardy, which would affect some of us that were already considering purchase of same.

What a tangled web the model railroading suppliers have become entangled in.

As for me, as long as used product is available, and I can get decent motors and good quality gearing sets... I'm good to go. BUT... it would be nice (time saving) to have the option of purchasing a couple of those RTR DCC/Sound Old Timer 2-8-0's!

All fer now.

Andre

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 07/30/2018 :  11:15:12 AM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Andre,

Yes, for the new releases of Athearn’s 2-8-0 to be delayed—or worse—would be a shame. They are sweet little beasts that run well and represent an actual prototype built by Baldwin for many railroads with some variations.

Mike

_______________________________________________________________________________________________
Nobody living can ever stop me, as I go walking that freedom highway -- Woody Guthrie

OK Hogger
Engine Wiper

Posted - 07/30/2018 :  12:20:26 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Agreed, Mike.

Update:

Bowser has now officially indicated they will be affected by this closing.

Still trying to source the other mfg'ers mentioned in the "reportedly" post. Athearn is said to not be affected, but thus far I find no direct source from Athearn stating such.

I feel for the mfg'ers in this, but I feel more for the hobbyists that purchase product from the companies affected. Back a few years ago, a similar situation concerning a large Chinese model making firm (Sanda Kan) led to the demise of one of the most promising S scale product manufacturers: S Helper Services.

What a mess.

Andre

Edited by - OK Hogger on 07/30/2018 12:21:53 PM

OK Hogger
Engine Wiper

Posted - 07/31/2018 :  2:42:17 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

Thus far, these are the companies that can be confirmed that have been affected by the closing:

Atlas; Intermountain; Bowser; Fox Valley; and now Bluford Shops.

Andre

Page: of 22 Previous Topic: Projects in Progress on the Southern Central RR Topic Next Topic: The freelance California Railway & Navigation Co  
 New Topic |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-17 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.31 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000