Railroad Line Forums - Promised Update...
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 6 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 114 ]  [ Total: 120 ]  [ Newest Member: brianrudko ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Early Rail Forum
 Promised Update...
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Projects in Progress on the Southern Central RR Topic Next Topic: The freelance California Railway & Navigation Co
Page: of 22

railman28
Fireman

Posted - 05/25/2018 :  1:10:17 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
procurement is a necessary evil. Consider using 1x4 L-girders. they are so much stronger.

It's only make-believe

OK Hogger
Engine Wiper

Posted - 05/25/2018 :  6:13:03 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Mike n' Bob!

Yup, I'm kinda' getting revved up about starting actual construction. I need to spend a bit more time looking over my track plan to make sure it's the one I want to tackle, as well as some other tid bits.

FWIW: Worked out in my Hobby Shack off/on today converting two trainset gons and a trainset psgr car. Hope to have them ready for paint by the end of the weekend.

L-girder:

Bob, regarding the 1x2 L-Girders I have in place on this small around-the-room bench work here in my computer room...

One place has a span of about 5'. I can get down on my knees, grab hold of the aisle side L-Girder, pull myself off the ground and hang my 178-180lbs of weight from it without any noticeable sag. L-Girder is VERY strong. Considering there is another L-Girder attached to the wall, along with angle braces constructed of 1x2's w/gussets supporting the two L-Girder runners, that one 5' span can support at least 400+ lbs.

In the past I have WAY overbuilt layouts.

All fer this 'un!

Andre

deemery
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 05/25/2018 :  6:36:12 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
One advantage of wider top pieces on L girder is a bit more flexibility in locating risers. And if you make the side piece more than 2", it'll be better if you drill holes in it to pass the wires. But structurally 1x2 L Girder is probably fine for small spans. (I did 3" tops on 4" sides, for what it's worth.)

dave

Modeling 1890s (because the voices in my head told me to)

masonamerican
Fireman

Posted - 05/26/2018 :  08:49:27 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You are working on the railroad Andre! Great to hear you are buying lumber! I also used L-girder for my layout. Fantastically strong and flexible.

Håkan

OK Hogger
Engine Wiper

Posted - 05/26/2018 :  12:54:06 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hm. Senility must starting in. I sure thought I'd replied?

Anyway...

I INTENDED to say:

dave:

A wider top plate would be handier for drilling from the underside, however, the aisle side L-girder can be oriented to where the top plate lip is pointed aisle side, thus much easier to access to drill for a joist. My return to 1x2 L-girders isn't set in stone. I'll consider options before committing, but my 1x2's have served me well in the past.

Håkan:

Yup, I've recommenced working at my work bench some, but I'm not quite to the point I'm ready to start purchasing lumber.

As for the layout, I still have a few things I need to make sure I'm ready to commit to, and, I need to decide how to handle a couple of scenes that are on paper. However, I do intend/hope to start construction sometime in June.

In all, it's entering a pretty exciting stage!

All fer this 'un. (I thought I'd already typed/posted my reply before? Hm. Weird.)

Andre

Edited by - OK Hogger on 05/26/2018 12:56:11 PM

OK Hogger
Engine Wiper

Posted - 06/08/2018 :  11:12:24 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Have any of you had any experience with the product linked below? Supposed to be an N scale link n' pin system...

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Micro-Trains-00102060-CWE-Link-and-Pin-Style-Couplers-2006-2-pair/122983089716?hash=item1ca25d0634:g:R-UAAOSwgeBaW~J8:sc:USPSFirstClass!74953!US!-1

Andre

OK Hogger
Engine Wiper

Posted - 06/19/2018 :  11:59:13 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Update:

In desperation, I started scouring the 'net looking for retail shops/any place that had Shinohara in stock. (Code 70 Shinohara products are drying up on eBay) Well, I found a shop in ENGLAND that had both the needed #6 R switches AND the all important #6 R CURVED switch I need.

Once that order arrives and found to be in good order... I will spend the loot to order all the Microscale Code 70 (non-weathered) Flex track I will need for the entire layout... then it's LUMBER TIME BABY!! Getting closer!

In the meantime, I'm having a ton of fun working on a V scale early 1880s narrow gauge route set in the San Juans!!

It's all good!

All fer now!

Andre

railman28
Fireman

Posted - 06/19/2018 :  12:25:20 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Glad you were able to procure the needed turnouts. Do you have a track plan to share or did I just forget it was here?

It's only make-believe

OK Hogger
Engine Wiper

Posted - 06/19/2018 :  2:10:32 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Bob!

Track plan? Yup, I have one... an analog one! (i.e. Pencil, drawing paper, templates, compass... you know... the OLD FASHIONED way!)

Over past decade or so, I've tried digital track plan software (a couple/three), and I just don't enjoy it as much as using the old analog methods that I've thoroughly enjoyed using over the decades. I like the plan being in front of me on the table... coffee or iced tea along side... and using the various drafting tools and my templates to create a plan right in front of me.

Now, having said that...

I don't have a scanner up and going as yet. Once I do, I shall scan and share here. Be advised: It ain't the be-all and end-all of track plan designs. I made no effort to cater to the various current layout design rages, but neither does my layout theme. Seeing as I concocted my theme and designed my layout to be something that I want, then I'll be fine with other more progressive modelers feeling my track plan is "lacking", and my theme too "cutesy".

At least, that's my story an' I'm stickin' with it! :)

Andre

All fer now!

railman28
Fireman

Posted - 06/19/2018 :  2:41:19 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It only has to work for you. I look forward to seeing it someday.

It's only make-believe

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 06/21/2018 :  08:26:31 AM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Andre,

I suspect all of us following your journey are curious regarding your track plan. My scanner is only useful for documents I can feed through it, but I’ve had good luck with a digital camera, especially my phone.

Mike

_______________________________________________________________________________________________
Nobody living can ever stop me, as I go walking that freedom highway -- Woody Guthrie

OK Hogger
Engine Wiper

Posted - 06/21/2018 :  12:31:57 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Mike:

And share I shall... one of these days!

May have to resort to the camera trick... but I'm suspecting my light sensor is going bad. (Room light shots are starting to look yellow.)

Andre

OK Hogger
Engine Wiper

Posted - 06/27/2018 :  3:04:39 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Boy... sure wish I'd purchased a case of the little $6.95 gallows turntable kits way back when:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/HO-HOn3-A-Frame-Turntable-a-wood-kit/312168729470?hash=item48aeb4cb7e:g:124AAOSwkSxbK-e2

Looking at the current high bid for it... I could build my layout with the profits!

Same goes for this little inexpensive gallows TT kit (I bought one of these WAY back with a MSRP in the ridiculously cheap range. (Was it $3?)

https://www.ebay.com/itm/HOn3-Mil-Scale-S-51-Old-Time-65-Timber-Wood-Turntable/173378088940?hash=item285e23afec:g:b0IAAOSwiu5bLr9K

And it's not just TT's... anytime a defunct rolling stock kit (Silver Crash, etc) hits the Bay... it goes for some serious bucks.

So 'ya think there's no demand for TOC19 stuff??? The bids on decent TOC19 stuff on the Bay indicates there's a GOOD amount of demand for TOC19 products.

All fer this 'un.

Andre

Edited by - OK Hogger on 06/27/2018 3:05:24 PM

deemery
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 06/27/2018 :  3:40:30 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Most of the inexpensive TT kits do not come with a solid pivot mechanism or a well-formed pit. The two hard parts are getting the turntable perfectly centered on the pivot, and the ring rail laid true. The Diamond Scale kits and the Freshwater Sellers kit both have plaster cast pits, if I remember right. The Freshwater kit also came with a little tool/jig to make sure the TT bridge rails were perfectly centered over the pivot. (That was a superbly designed kit, too bad Freshwater got out of the business and the tooling for that kit 'went south' to Australia, if I remember right.)

dave

Modeling 1890s (because the voices in my head told me to)

railman28
Fireman

Posted - 06/27/2018 :  8:35:10 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Dave is absolutely right about these two kits. Both need a good center pivot. Some have use Stereo phone and their jacks for that. I haven't tried that so I can't swear to hpw effective it is. I was fortunate enough to get a Freshwater Kit.

It's only make-believe

Page: of 22 Previous Topic: Projects in Progress on the Southern Central RR Topic Next Topic: The freelance California Railway & Navigation Co  
 New Topic |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-17 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.36 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000