Railroad Line Forums - Promised Update...
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 3 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 101 ]  [ Total: 104 ]  [ Newest Member: Midwest Mark ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Early Rail Forum
 Promised Update...
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Projects in Progress on the Southern Central RR Topic Next Topic: The freelance California Railway & Navigation Co
Page: of 22

OK Hogger
Engine Wiper

Posted - 05/09/2018 :  10:20:49 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Nope, not a fun quiz. I think it's an interesting little foot board switcher that I'm hoping to learn more about. It looks to be plastic to me, but I can't think of a model at all that resembles it.

Anybody?

Andre

OK Hogger
Engine Wiper

Posted - 05/09/2018 :  10:26:13 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Update...

I had a novel thought: Why not ask the person that posted the pic?

So, I have. We wait.

Andre

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 05/09/2018 :  10:43:18 AM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by OK Hogger

Update...

I had a novel thought

At our stage in life we could write a book with all our novel ideas.

Mike

BlairM
Section Hand

Posted - 05/09/2018 :  10:12:58 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by OK Hogger

Does anyone have any ideas on the make of that little switcher

It's a dense little block of zamac white metal made by "Aristo-Craft" They can still be found with good frequency on ebay, but they are definitely time-machine modeling and going back to how the previous generation did it. They smell like a mix of popcorn and motor oil once they get going for a bit and they sound a bit like an old pencil sharpener out of the box.

Still a fun piece of history and cute looking too.

Blair

BlairM
Section Hand

Posted - 05/09/2018 :  10:18:43 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

Here is another photo

Blair

OK Hogger
Engine Wiper

Posted - 05/10/2018 :  12:09:07 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you Blair!

That's the engine! You nailed it!

Shame about it being Zamac: Not easily modified. From what I could see in the pic I posted, I hoped it could be made into a neat little switcher at a small outlying station. Of course, plastic would have been my preferred medium.

Andre

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 05/10/2018 :  12:27:41 AM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Andre,

Most or all of the AristoCraft locomotives were oversized for HO. For that reason they are probably bought more as collectibles than as locomotives to operate. Nevertheless many were of pre-1900 prototypes which made them appealing to the early railroading aficionados. I owned the Mogul when young

Mike

_______________________________________________________________________________________________
Nobody living can ever stop me, as I go walking that freedom highway -- Woody Guthrie

Edited by - Michael Hohn on 05/10/2018 06:04:37 AM

OK Hogger
Engine Wiper

Posted - 05/10/2018 :  09:15:46 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi 'ya Mikey!

Alas, the little Aristo-Craft is an "oldie but no so goodie" in the realm of TOC19 modeling.

Wouldn't it be great if we could prevail upon Atlas to make HO versions of the N scale 19th century engines?

Andre

OK Hogger
Engine Wiper

Posted - 05/10/2018 :  09:25:05 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Okay... a fun quiz:

What event took place on this date some 100+ years ago?

Andre

railman28
Fireman

Posted - 05/10/2018 :  1:23:10 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
the official meeting of the Central Pacific and Union Pacific at Promontory Pass Utah

It's only make-believe

OK Hogger
Engine Wiper

Posted - 05/10/2018 :  1:38:33 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well, that was quick!

We have a WINNER!

Can't slip anything past ol' Bob. No sirree!

Are you done remodeling?

Andre

railman28
Fireman

Posted - 05/10/2018 :  1:44:21 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

Can't slip anything past ol' Bob. No sirree!

Are you done remodeling?

Andre
[/quote]

Most truely I tell you, A LOT slips pass me. And Sadly I'm not done remodeling but it's getting very close. One good thing that has come out of it, My wife tells me "go work on the railroad and leave the house alone"

Back at the work bench soon (I hope)

It's only make-believe

ekul24
New Hire

Posted - 05/11/2018 :  04:11:00 AM  Show Profile  Send ekul24 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
That's an interesting little engine Andre. I forgot the date and it passed me by this year. If I ever visit the USA visiting Promontory would be pretty high on my list. The band, Railroad Earth, have a great song "The Jupiter and the 119". Although, some of the lyrics strike me as back to front.

Luke Blackbeard

http://thoroughfaregaprailroad.blogspot.co.nz/

OK Hogger
Engine Wiper

Posted - 05/25/2018 :  08:56:36 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Update time!

Okay, so I'm adapting to this "retirement" thing a bit, but I already miss the operational aspects of railroading. I especially miss the main line runs.

I've continued to sporadically acquire needed items for the layout. For example, I've scored on a couple more of those little IHC/AHM cattle cars at reasonable prices (one is already converted and ready for paint the other in shipment), as well as some Shinohara #6's that I THOUGHT I needed... only to discover that I'd written down the WRONG direction! SO... I still need to pick up a couple of #6 RIGHT hand switches. (I've got a couple extra LEFT's now!)

Just yesterday, I stopped by the lumber dealer and started looking at lumber options. I think I'm going to go with 1x2 L girder construction again. I want to keep the framework as light as practical. Using 1x2's has worked great on the past two layouts. In fact, I want to keep the entire layout as light practical and I intend to use extruded foam for land forms/etc.

So, the time is nearing that I'm actually going to start cutting lumber and making a mess out in my nice, organized, and clean Hobby Shack.

All fer this 'un!

Andre

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 05/25/2018 :  09:59:10 AM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Andre,

Sounds good. Thanks for the update.

Mike

_______________________________________________________________________________________________
Nobody living can ever stop me, as I go walking that freedom highway -- Woody Guthrie

Page: of 22 Previous Topic: Projects in Progress on the Southern Central RR Topic Next Topic: The freelance California Railway & Navigation Co  
 New Topic |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-17 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.73 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000