Railroad Line Forums - Promised Update...
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 3 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 101 ]  [ Total: 104 ]  [ Newest Member: Midwest Mark ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Early Rail Forum
 Promised Update...
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Projects in Progress on the Southern Central RR Topic Next Topic: The freelance California Railway & Navigation Co
Page: of 22

ekul24
New Hire

Posted - 02/12/2018 :  01:33:02 AM  Show Profile  Send ekul24 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Hi Andre, great photos. Especially love the airy feeling of the one taken on the bridge.

The mehano stock cars and box cars are looking really good.
Luke

Luke Blackbeard

http://thoroughfaregaprailroad.blogspot.co.nz/

OK Hogger
Engine Wiper

Posted - 02/12/2018 :  9:35:50 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Luke:

Glad you enjoyed the photos. Going over Bridge No. 1 is like taking flight: The ground simply drops out from beneath you and you rise above the trees. Thanks for the kind words on my fledgling efforts to produce an 1880's fleet, also.

All fer now!

Andre

ChrisS
Engine Wiper

Posted - 02/13/2018 :  02:27:50 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by OK Hogger

Oh, and I'm thinking about taking the factory lettered W&A cars (4) and simply remove the lettering/numbering and make those Colorado & Pacific. Probably will remove the lettering on my first Mehano purchase, a Canadian Pacific car (kind of out of territory for a Canadian Pacific cattle car in Colorado, 'ya think?), and make it Kansas Pacific. The Rio Grande car has speed lettering, so I'll need to remove the lettering off that one and will like go with D&RG. Lastly, I may just leave the other two factory lettered as is: AT&SF (they were in my target region) and (are you ready for this?) Union Pacific!

Andre,

I'm looking forward to seeing your first cars get completed. For some reason, I've always found lettering rolling stock to be a very satisfying (if sometimes frustrating) job. You might want to think about a different road for the D&RG car though - remember, in your era, there was no D&RG standard gauge. Their first standard gauge engine wasn't delivered until 1887. Then again, maybe the C&P's competition would have spurred them to start their conversion earlier, who knows.

Chris

OK Hogger
Engine Wiper

Posted - 02/13/2018 :  06:37:32 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Chris:

Yes, me too: Looking forward to getting some paint on some cars and getting them lettered/weathered and FINISHED!

Good catch on the Rio Grande car and standard gauge. Didn't EVEN think of that. For a different road it shall be lettered.

All fer now. Time to head off to work. Still got to go play with 1:1 trains for a while longer.

Andre

masonamerican
Fireman

Posted - 02/17/2018 :  09:57:48 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Great photos from real life! And the Mehano car looks good. Just the right size.

Håkan

OK Hogger
Engine Wiper

Posted - 02/18/2018 :  6:37:08 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Håkan!

Glad you enjoyed my photos from work!

All:

Not making much progress of late. Life has been getting in the way of my fun and it's not going to change for a bit: Tomorrow I kick off a two week work stretch. In addition to the upcoming work week, I have my final rules classes that I'll attend on Saturday and Sunday of next week, then another week of work. So, it looks like it will be March 3 before I have a day off. (IF we don't work that weekend.)

All fer now!

Andre

Edited by - OK Hogger on 02/18/2018 6:38:16 PM

OK Hogger
Engine Wiper

Posted - 03/25/2018 :  4:25:03 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
UPDATE time!

Retirement...

Some weeks ago I communicated with the RR Retirement Board. The result:

The official "last day" will be April 20th. (Only FOUR more weeks as of this post.) FURTHERMORE, the railroad is going to cash-out my 4 weeks of vacation pay in one check the following week (payday) along with my last week's wages. Because the railroad is going to give me a lump sum one week following my retirement, instead of spreading out my vacation pay over 4 weeks, this means my first RR retirement check will be in June and not July. So, technically, I'll only go 1 week without pay as opposed to a bit over 1 MONTH. That's a good thing.

We (wife and I) also learned that, even though my wife is still under Social Security and will not be retiring as yet (she plans to continue working for a bit), she already has a part in my retirement benefits. PLUS, her portion is going to be much more than we first realized AND that she can start drawing the same month as me: June! All totaled, my total retirement benefits (to me and her) are going to be more than twice what I was hoping to receive when under Social Security, and I was going to have a decent Social Security benefit (comparatively speaking) in regards to the average SS payout. So, all of this is great news for the Ming household.

Me and TOC19 modeling...

Been working 50+ hours per week on the rails of late. Once home (typically finishing supper between 7:30-8 PM), I don't feel like doing a whole lot (hands-on modeling)... but it has been sort of relaxing to putter around in my V scale software "Route Editor" ("RE") plopping stuff in place. (No real cogitative effort required to do so, compared to working at a work bench/etc.) When this RE piddling first began a few weeks ago, I started by finishing up laying the main line for my Colorado narrow gauge project.

However, I quickly grew tired of laying track, and for some odd reason, I found myself digging out my old friend of a route: The Frisco Line. Instead of starting to lay track on the remaining main line (30 miles from Seligman, MO to Monett, MO, remains to be laid), or at least laying the track at Seligman (also the junction point with the Eureka Springs Railway), and then striking off toward Eureka Springs on the ES Rwy... I wanted to place scenery objects.

So, I went deep down into Indian Territory and, starting at Talihina, I.T, commenced putting in bridges and other niceties. That was so rewarding I headed out to the 18 mile long Mansfield Branch to start installing the needed bridges there. Once arriving at the Mansfield Branch, I quickly saw that my level of basic "Phase 1" scenery when I started this "Phase 1" scenery idea, wasn't anywhere near the level of same at the last place I installed "Phase 1" scenery (up toward Winslow). Unbeknownst to me, my standards had crept upward for my "Phase 1" basic scenery and it really showed when I revisited the first location upon which I started with this "Phase 1" scenery idea: The Mansfield Branch. So, as of now, all the bridges are in place on the Mansfield Branch, AND, I have been filling out many of the areas with more objects so it doesn't look near as sparse as it did upon first revisiting.

The Mansfield Branch was born because of COAL. And because of that, there are a LOT of coal mines on my Mansfield Branch, all of them based on prototypes.

Enough drivel. Here's some crappy RE shots along the Mansfield Branch. (I've been too lazy to zip/copy/move the the latest version of the route to my newer machine, unzip/install it, then create needed paths and go into the sim and take pictures!) Hopefully, in spite of the twinkie RE pics, such will at least give you and idea of what I've been up to.

First up is a scene along the branch...

And here's Montreal, Arkansas, where the Midland Valley RR crossed (and interchanged with) the Frisco...

And lastly, the latest version of Mansfield, Arkansas. (I was stunned at how sparse Mansfield looked up revisting it!). Mansfield is at the end of the branch. The Frisco connected with the Choctaw, Oklahoma & Gulf (later Rock Island. The pic...

So... I've been doing somethin'!

Ain't that sumpthin'???

All fer now.

Andre

Edited by - OK Hogger on 03/25/2018 9:48:59 PM

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 03/25/2018 :  8:54:40 PM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
It’s virtually sumpthin . . .

. . . A whole lot better than nothin.

I figure that since you do real railroading and virtual model railroading, it averages out to real model railroading.

Seriously, thank you for the update. And that’s good news on the retirement.

Mike

_______________________________________________________________________________________________
Nobody living can ever stop me, as I go walking that freedom highway -- Woody Guthrie

Edited by - Michael Hohn on 03/25/2018 9:48:35 PM

OK Hogger
Engine Wiper

Posted - 04/06/2018 :  11:08:09 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Mike!

Oddly, your post doesn't show on my forum posts listing. In other words, my old post above yours (post 03/25/2018 : 4:25:03 PM) still shows as the latest post in my (this) topic thread. Weird.

Anyway... V scale is its own queer bird... but I do find it relaxing at times.

As for retirement:

Only 10 more working days (two calendar weeks) and it will be over. We (the crews at FS) have really been working some hours of late and I simply don't have much time to get into anything that requires significant free time (such as working out in my Hobby Shack). Thus, V scale piddlin' seems to fill that niche.

All fer now.

Andre

Edited by - OK Hogger on 04/07/2018 1:31:56 PM

David J Buchholz
Crew Chief

Posted - 04/07/2018 :  3:22:54 PM  Show Profile  Send David J Buchholz an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Winslow Arizona. Where's the girl,my Lord in a flatbed Ford, slowing down yo take a look at me?

Home of the North Coast Railroad.

OK Hogger
Engine Wiper

Posted - 04/07/2018 :  4:35:27 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Winslow AR vs Winslow AZ...

It's my understanding that both towns were named after the same man for the same reason: Key in pushing a railroad through their respective regions.

Andre

Edited by - OK Hogger on 04/07/2018 4:36:20 PM

OK Hogger
Engine Wiper

Posted - 04/15/2018 :  6:20:08 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Some Musings...

Well, in the morning I begin my last week of labor. I haven't a clue what kinds of emotions will go through me as I work through my last week, or for sure when I'm tying my engine down for the last time come Friday afternoon/evening. It will be interesting.

Doubt that I'll be starting the layout anytime soon. I want to enjoy what's left of the good riding weather to do as much of this as I can:

(The above photo taken during my latest DS ride a couple weekends ago.)

I also want to get the garage cleaned/organized so I can start restoration of this:

That's a 1972 Zundapp GS125 "enduro" bike. I want to work on it out in the garage during the cool of the morning. All too soon, it will be too hot to work comfortably out in the garage. Plus, I don't enjoy riding in hot weather, so once these Sunbelt temperatures heat up to ths "miserable" range, I'll then migrate to my Hobby Shack and commence.

HOWEVER... I DO want to have portions of the layout up and functional before the next riding season starts, which to me is late Sept - early Oct throughout the winter (temps/weather permitting) and into Spring. And I AM looking forward to getting started on my layout as well.

In all, a major turning point in my life is just one week away and then all things will become new (so to speak) as I start adjusting to having 6 Saturdays per week and one Sunday!!

All fer now!

Andre

Edited by - OK Hogger on 04/15/2018 6:21:10 PM

OK Hogger
Engine Wiper

Posted - 05/08/2018 :  11:09:09 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Does anyone have any ideas on the make of that little switcher that's shoving this little IHC cattle car?

Looks like a plastic model? Brass?

Any input?

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 05/09/2018 :  09:22:04 AM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Andre,

I think there once was a radio game show (maybe on BBC) where contestants tried to identify a classical piece of music from the first few notes. Is that what you’re doing here?

By the way, I have no idea of the locomotive origin.

Mike

_______________________________________________________________________________________________
Nobody living can ever stop me, as I go walking that freedom highway -- Woody Guthrie

David Clark
Fireman

Posted - 05/09/2018 :  10:19:41 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey Andre, It looks like you don't have too far to go on the restoration of the Zundap. Looks pretty good from here. Is that a TTR you're riding? That looks like a nice road there. I have a Triumph Tiger 800 that I take into spots way beyond my ability to ride (tore my rotator cuff last Aug and am getting surgery next week) - a whole season gone!
I am no help on the loco id, however.j
Cheers,
Dave

Page: of 22 Previous Topic: Projects in Progress on the Southern Central RR Topic Next Topic: The freelance California Railway & Navigation Co  
 New Topic |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-17 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.41 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000