Railroad Line Forums - Promised Update...
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 4 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 129 ]  [ Total: 133 ]  [ Newest Member: Hawghead ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Early Rail Forum
 Promised Update...
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: The freelance California Railway & Navigation Co Topic Next Topic: The Coos Bay and Willamette Valley
Page: of 24

OK Hogger
Engine Wiper

Posted - 01/31/2018 :  9:49:44 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Bob:

I'll take 'em all + shipping. How do you want payment? Personal check? PayPal? I also need to get my street address to you.

THANK YOU!!!

Andre

railman28
Fireman

Posted - 02/01/2018 :  10:23:53 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
OH Good, I'm glad they be used. Send me your address to my personal Email cbnwvrr4@gmail.com. Allow $6. for shipping and use my Paypal account at the same address please.

Enjoy

It's only make-believe

OK Hogger
Engine Wiper

Posted - 02/01/2018 :  1:56:53 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Bob!

Still at work, using my phone to reply. I will email you my address tonight and pay via PayPal once home. Thanks again!

Andre

OK Hogger
Engine Wiper

Posted - 02/01/2018 :  9:48:18 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Bob:

Be sure to check your email for my email w/address I've sent so I can ensure I've got your email correct. If I've not got it right, I'll end up sending the funds to Cyberspace City or somewhere!

Andre

OK Hogger
Engine Wiper

Posted - 02/02/2018 :  7:08:55 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
FWIW:

Received my eBay AHM/Mehano 33' cattle car today that I purchased for a "look see".

Well, I looked, I see'd... I likes.

In fact, I'm going to go out on a limb and say the AHM/Mehano cattle car is the best effort of all the AHM/Bachmann efforts to produce a TOC19 car. Great proportions, overall sharp casting, and crisp tampo lettering. I will want to replace the heavy truss rods, but a plus: The way the under frame is made, I can simply cut the truss rods at the frame, and they will remove individually, thus the beams and queenposts can be reused eliminating the need for adding beams/queenposts. I will also replace the end-mounted brake wheel with a staff mounted brake wheel. But these two changes are about it. Add my Kadee 88's and 153 couplers and it will be ready to be weathered and put into service if I choose to retain the crisp factory lettering!

All fer now!

Andre

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 02/02/2018 :  8:36:27 PM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Andre,

Thatís good news. The AHM cars were uneven in realism. The tank car is also quite nice but you might not need any.

Mike

_______________________________________________________________________________________________
Nobody living can ever stop me, as I go walking that freedom highway -- Woody Guthrie

OK Hogger
Engine Wiper

Posted - 02/03/2018 :  12:58:56 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Mike!

Yup, quite pleased thus far. I'm sure once I sit down at the workbench and start really looking it over, I'll want to change a few other things, too. But again: Really nice proportions that look "good enuf" to my eyes for my 1880s theme.

I believe I've seen the tank cars of which you refer. They are nice. I think I would have a slight issue accepting them mentally for my Colorado 1880s theme, for I don't recall seeing any 19th century pics of Colorado railroading (std or narrow gauge) that contained tank cars. I'm under the impression that tank cars in the Colorado Rockies didn't come along until later. However, I could be mistaken.

My lands... it's after midnight. Gotta' hit the sack.

All fer now!

Andre

OK Hogger
Engine Wiper

Posted - 02/04/2018 :  8:48:32 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Anybody accomplishing anything??

Been awful quiet around here of late!

As for me, I haven't been working solid, but among the errands/commitments/etc this weekend I have tinkered and diddled out in the Hobby Shack and have a couple more cars 'bout ready to go onto the "Paint 'Em" shelf. They are:

* Another chop-top Mantua.

* The Mehano cattle car.

The Mehano ended up needing help in several areas. For starters, the thick plastic truss rods had to be replaced with monofilament. Next, the Kadee 88's didn't spin freely in the trucks. So, using an old trick, I begin to tweak the sides by gently spreading them. Usually doesn't take but a smidge and you have a free rolling truck and... SNAP. Hm, that didn't go well. Seems the plastic Mehano used on the trucks was either very brittle or aging has gotten to it. Either way, I had to fit MDC trucks to it. However, the biggest fiddle factor was the fact that using the cast-on coupler boxes resulted in couplers much too low. Ended up having to cut them off and fabricate/file/fit mounting pads made of styrene. After a bunch if fidldling (doing the first conversion is always the most time consuming because you have to figure things out) I finally got the couplers to acceptably mate with the height gauge. Lastly, did away with the end mounted brake wheel, installing a staff mounted instead.

Anyway... here's a pic of my weekend accomplishments...

All fer now!

Andre

Edited by - OK Hogger on 02/04/2018 8:49:47 PM

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 02/04/2018 :  9:31:56 PM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Andre,

They both look good.

Mike

_______________________________________________________________________________________________
Nobody living can ever stop me, as I go walking that freedom highway -- Woody Guthrie

OK Hogger
Engine Wiper

Posted - 02/10/2018 :  1:43:52 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi All!

Received my batch of 6 Mehano 33' cattle cars from Bob. Great little cars! All of them in excellent "like new" condition. (Thanks again Bob!) Already have one of them converted to "scale" with new 88 wheel sets, new filament truss rods, new brake staff, and new 153 short shank 58 couplers. By being more careful, I was able to ever-so-slightly spread the sides of the OEM arch bar trucks to roll freely with the Kadee 88's and thus retained their use. This meant that the OEM coupler pockets w/a 153 in it matched up fine with the height gauge. HUGE time saver. I think I loafed and did this conversion in about 45 minutes, much better than the first one. To my eyes, this one looks better than the first one, on account of the OEM arch bar trucks and closer coupling afforded by retaining the use of the OEM coupler pockets.

Oh, and I'm thinking about taking the factory lettered W&A cars (4) and simply remove the lettering/numbering and make those Colorado & Pacific. Probably will remove the lettering on my first Mehano purchase, a Canadian Pacific car (kind of out of territory for a Canadian Pacific cattle car in Colorado, 'ya think?), and make it Kansas Pacific. The Rio Grande car has speed lettering, so I'll need to remove the lettering off that one and will like go with D&RG. Lastly, I may just leave the other two factory lettered as is: AT&SF (they were in my target region) and (are you ready for this?) Union Pacific!

All fer now!

Andre

Edited by - OK Hogger on 02/10/2018 1:44:48 PM

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 02/10/2018 :  4:04:22 PM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Andre,

You've been busy.

I saw one of hese Mehano cars at a train show last week but it did not have a price on it. I hate having to ask, a dislike dating back to antique collecting days.

Mike

OK Hogger
Engine Wiper

Posted - 02/10/2018 :  5:42:40 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi 'ya Mike!

Busy: Just finished another of the Mehano cars about a half hour ago.

Ah... a "train show"! I haven't been to one of those in over a decade. I miss the fun of going to those. More below on that.

The Mehano cattle car:

I still say it's a really nice little car for a train set car. The most critical thing is the old plastic is very brittle, so one has to be careful extracting the underframe from the body, etc.

About no train shows...

I have worked weekends every winter for the past 10 or so years running the winter passenger/excursion train this railroad offered. This is the first year they have not run the winter train. (They're restructuring it, whatever that means.) Don't know what the have in mind for 2019, for I'm the only psgr qualified Engineer at this terminal. So, they'll have to come up with a psgr qualified Engineer via training those at this terminal, or sending one out of the north division to cover.

Anyway, below are some pics of some of the scenes I've enjoyed over the decades.

First up: Running the long tangent that leads to the "Rock Cut". The Rock Cut marks the start of the long climb up "The Mountain" (i.e. Boston Mtn grade.) The grade peaks at 2.69% for about a mile. The other portions range from 2.3% - 2.5%. It's something like 8 miles long. I've been on freights up that grade at 8 MPH or so... took almost an hour to climb it. I've run freight helpers on it, too...

And here I am approaching the largest bridge/trestle on the line, Bridge No. 1...

Bridge No. 1 is something like 800' long and 135' deep at its deepest. My first trip over that bridge was in the seat of a quartet of Frisco GP7's on a tonnage freight way back in 1974. Unforgettable experience. Lots of good memories on The Mountain... some not so good.

Lastly, here I am exiting the tunnel into the mountain town of Winslow...

Speaking of Bridge No. 1, here's a terrible Argus snapshot of that very day taken way back in 1974:

Mentally, I can still hear the roar of those hard working Geeps.

About the summit town of Winslow:

I discovered Winslow on that same 1974 freight trip during a "Winslow Turn". I was so smitten with the entire feel of the area that I returned later and snapped a few pics of the town/rails. It really had a "western town" feel to it.

Here's a view looking north topping the grade and coming into Winslow...

And here's a view of Winslow proper:

(Note: Had to reduce the above composite/stitched photo to 800 pixels so as to keep the page from needing to be scrolled horizontally. Though smaller, you get the idea.)

That first time up on that "Winslow Turn" freight I mentioned, after we'd set off the train to the pass track, we went over to that stone block general store pictured above. The store still had its ancient hardwood flooring, bare incandescent bulbs hanging from electrical wires from the ceiling, and a very old meat case. However, the wood stove had it toasty warm (it was a bone chilling wet-cold up there that evening). We (crew) bought some "vittals". I got a thick sliced bologna sandwich w/pepperjack cheese and all the trimmin's. As I carried my sacked supper back to the waiting motors, I can still remember the chat/cinders crunching under my feet, the smell the hardwood sap (there was tie loading on the south end of the back track), mixed with the smell of the Geep's exhausts, and the chant of those idling 567's.

Sorry for rambling... but my career is fast coming to a close and I guess I'm in a nostalgic mood!

All fer now!

Andre

Edited by - OK Hogger on 02/10/2018 5:44:55 PM

Jan Kirkwood
Crew Chief

Premium Member

Posted - 02/11/2018 :  08:44:39 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
andre how do you remove the lettering from a plastic car?

thanks

Jan

jbvb
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 02/11/2018 :  10:00:40 AM  Show Profile  Visit jbvb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the pictures; when I visited the A&M I didn't know much of the history, nor much about Arkansas in general.

OK Hogger
Engine Wiper

Posted - 02/11/2018 :  9:20:50 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Jan!

I intend to try a new technique: Decal setting solution (in my case Walthers Solvaset) and a Q-Tip. Apply the decal setting solution with a fine brush, let it stand for a bit... swab it off with the cotton swab. Supposed to be very hassle free and doesn't harm the paint finish.

jbvb:

You're welcome! The history of the line is very simplistic:

1882-1980: Frisco
1980-1986: BN
1986 - : A&M

All fer now!

Andre

Page: of 24 Previous Topic: The freelance California Railway & Navigation Co Topic Next Topic: The Coos Bay and Willamette Valley  
 New Topic |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-17 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.33 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000