Railroad Line Forums - Promised Update...
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 6 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 111 ]  [ Total: 117 ]  [ Newest Member: brianrudko ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Early Rail Forum
 Promised Update...
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Projects in Progress on the Southern Central RR Topic Next Topic: The freelance California Railway & Navigation Co
Page: of 22

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 01/23/2018 :  11:52:44 AM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Guys,

No. 5016 shows up in the 1888 ORER. Clover House has dry transfer for this car.

In addition to looking shorter car 5064 looks significantly longer to my eye, not just a foot. Of course, these are inside dimensions and there might be differences in the internal design of the two cars.

Mike

_______________________________________________________________________________________________
Nobody living can ever stop me, as I go walking that freedom highway -- Woody Guthrie

Edited by - Michael Hohn on 01/23/2018 12:04:22 PM

Early1905
New Hire

Posted - 01/23/2018 :  5:29:01 PM  Show Profile  Visit Early1905's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Went back and checked some more.
My earliest ORER is the June 1885 issue of "Sechrist's Hand-Book an Railway Equipment Mileage Guide"
The first series of BCR&N reefers is listed with and astrick that leads to a note the these are "Tiffany" reefers but to be reports as regular BCR&N rolling stock.

Howard Garner

OK Hogger
Engine Wiper

Posted - 01/26/2018 :  8:15:30 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Bob, Mike, and Howard for more input. Very much appreciated. More on the reefer car below.

All:

Been pretty busy of late: Long hours at work, some 6 day work weeks, music at church, etc. I've fallen behind on all my stuff I enjoy relaxing with, including threads here at the Early Rail forum. However, I'm down to 13 weeks left of hard labor ( ) on the railroad... followed by 4 weeks of paid vacation... then my never ending weekend begins! (Retirement!) Still much, MUCH more I would like to have accomplished before "R Day" hits... but the busy-ness level is what it is.

The Reefer Pics...

Seeing as Clover House offers a dry transfer set for the 1888 pic, I likely have it in my stash of sets out in my Hobby Shack from my recent Clover House order. I hope to be out there tomorrow for some workbench time, and now I'm anxious to check to see if I have it. (I think I purchased all the Clover House reefer sets that replicate cars from the 1880's?)

More stuff continues to arrive, but I have yet to sit down and take the time to put together a Grandt Line order, or get some flex track ordered. Need to quit being so lazy after getting home in the evening and get to it!!

All fer this 'un!

Andre

OK Hogger
Engine Wiper

Posted - 01/27/2018 :  2:01:24 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
FWIW:

Looks as though I purchased 7 Clover House reefer sets. I think I recall purchasing any reefer set from the 1880s. Yes, the set for the #5016 car is among them.

Also:

Time to start thinking about cattle/stock cars. I have been totally forgetting about cattle/stock cars. I would assume, given that cattle and other stock were very much in evidence on the major narrow gauge lines of Colorado (as well as the Colorado Midland), that I need to allow for a few. Even though I loosely envision the C&P running east/west through the rugged San Juan mountains... surely there would have been SOME places "out there" that would allow for a bit of cattle/sheep/etc to raised? If so, then those cattle would need to get to market (slaughter houses/etc) somehow... so via the nearest access to rails me thinks? (C&P rails?)

That so: What are my cattle/stock car options that would look plausible/acceptable on an 1880s layout?

I know that AHM/Mehano made a 34' plastic one (and I would prefer going the plastic route), but those seem to be made of gold when they hit eBay, which is rare. So far I have not coughed up the dough to get one for a "look see", then there's the "rare" issue to contend with, also.

However, desperation may prevail, and I may need to obtain a few craftsmen kits for cattle/stock IF they're "out there" somewhere. Those I've checked thus far:

* Trout Creek - Nada.
* Bitter Creek - Zilch.
* BTS - A very primitive one, and also a peaked roof one that may have to "do".

Are there others?

All fer now.

Andre

masonamerican
Fireman

Posted - 01/27/2018 :  3:13:15 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
There is the Roundhouse one. It is perhaps more 1900 at 36' but could possibly be used. I have had one and the plastic was really nice.
https://www.modeltrainstuff.com/Roundhouse-HO-36-Wood-Box-Car-CN-p/rnd-85756.htm

Alkem Scale Models (Bernie Kempinski) had very nice kits of smaller stock cars:
http://www.alkemscalemodels.com/
Sorry to say its discontinued.

Håkan

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 01/27/2018 :  5:10:29 PM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Andre,

Rio Grande Models has a stock car available:

http://www.riograndemodels.com/Images/LargeHO/3112.jpg

Mike

_______________________________________________________________________________________________
Nobody living can ever stop me, as I go walking that freedom highway -- Woody Guthrie

OK Hogger
Engine Wiper

Posted - 01/27/2018 :  8:50:19 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks guys for some input.

Håkan:

Yes, the Roundhouse 36' foot car is a nice model, though it's too big and modern to suit me "as is". And, being a cattle/stock car, it will be very difficult to cut down to make shorter on account of the slats and angle braces, I would think. I may have one of the Roundhouse cars "somewhere"... if I can find it I may take a look to see where the cuts would need to be made and what the resulting length would be if such was done. Oh wait, just happened to think, all mine have cast metal underframes. Just the thought of cutting down that cast metal underframe... ugh!

Mike:

Thanks for reminding me of Rio Grande Models. I never seem to remember them. I have added their link to my "Links" list. (Imaginative name for my link list, eh?)

It's a nice looking car. I did not see where the length is listed. Judging from its proportions, I would take a guess that it's 36' long. A bit expensive, especially by the time you throw in trucks, code 88's, and couplers.

Hm.

Unfortunately, I'm beginning to more fully grasp the fact that there ain't a quick n' easy way to add a few cattle cars to the roster!!!

Ah well... it be's what it be.

Andre

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 01/27/2018 :  11:26:23 PM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Andre,

Labelle has a 36’ stock car kit representing a 1900 prototype. Too big. Too recent.

The BTS kit with roof is probably your best bet. I think it needs more details such as nbw’s and brake wheel. Etc.

Mike

OK Hogger
Engine Wiper

Posted - 01/28/2018 :  6:36:12 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Mike:
Well, in reality, I've still got a ton of work to do on existing "on hand" rolling stock projects, so I guess the "need" for cattle/stock cars is not exactly "pressing", but I did want to see what my options are and what I'm up against. You're right, I may have to resort to the BTS kit.

All:

Haven't accomplished much this weekend out in the Hobby Shack, but yesterday I finished readying a couple of Mantua gondolas, and just a few minutes ago finished readying one of the cut-down Bachmann gons. That's three more ready for paint/decals! Supper's now et, so now I'm getting ready to head back out there and work on another cut-down gon, this time a Pocher. However, I also sort of have a hankerin' to piddle with my track plan. We shall see which happens!

All fer now!

Andre

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 01/28/2018 :  7:01:03 PM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Andre,

You’re doing such a good job creating a fleet of boxcars at minimal cost and in reasonable time that a larger investment of both for a train of stock cars makes sense. On average you are doing a good job of building a roster at a good cost. A train of stock cars would be a signature feature of your layout. And so appropriate. Cattle transport could be very important to those western lines.

Mike

OK Hogger
Engine Wiper

Posted - 01/28/2018 :  8:09:18 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Mike.

I may have to consider more cattle/stock cars when that time nears. I originally kind of thought about 4 or so, just enough to be represented. But that may need to be adjusted upward... we'll see? Just like my desire for the rest of my fleet, I would like some variety within the cattle/stock cars if practical. I may try to pick up some of the Mehano cars as they become available, if they don't get into the stupid price range, so if/when I start adding BTS cars, the Mehano's will add the desired variety. (Stupid price range: $1 higher than my maximum bid!!)

Along this same line, at this point I only have enough Mantua "ventilated" boxes to make 4 reefers, I will also want more of those. At least enough to use up my Clover House reefer sets stash (7). Then there's the Bitter Creek Tiffany that I can use to add some variety, as well as shortening/lowering an additional Mantua or two.

As fer me and the Hobby Shack:

Changed my mind on the Pocher gon project. Didn't want to use some of the MDC queen beams/pedestals I have on hand on it, preferring instead to use the MDC's on the Bachmann boxcar conversions. (Those handy mounting pins!) I can use Grandt Line beams/pedestals on the gons.

So, instead of the gon, I started another Mantua boxcar cut-down project. Already have the frame modified to sit lower and the coupler pads cut and installed, all the parts are off the body and I'm ready to start hacking. However... decided I've done enough out in the Hobby Shack for today/tonight, so getting ready to entertain myself with some non-model RR stuff for the rest of the night! (May go race some old front engine F1 cars in Europe tonight, circa 1955!)

All fer now!

Andre

Edited by - OK Hogger on 01/30/2018 06:27:45 AM

railman28
Fireman

Posted - 01/30/2018 :  1:08:58 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Andre,
Do you like the AHM/IHC old time stock cars? They're about 33' and are patterned like the DRGW double deck N.G. stock cars. I have several squirreled away that I will let go of for $5.00 each plus shipping if you're interested. If you are let me know and I'll take an inventory and let you know what's available.

Here's an image of the web;
http://tycotrain.tripod.com/sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderpictures/ahm_oldtime_stock_up.jpg

It's only make-believe

Edited by - railman28 on 01/30/2018 1:16:55 PM

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 01/30/2018 :  5:23:15 PM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
That looks like a reasonable stock car. In fact it looks like the PRR 28’ stock car in the CBD.

Of course if they are lettered for the Union Pacific they will need new paint because UP is a downer for Andre.

Mike

OK Hogger
Engine Wiper

Posted - 01/30/2018 :  6:50:32 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Bob:

DEFINITELY interested. I just purchased one yesterday off the Bay for a "look see" but of course, haven't received it yet. From the pictures on the Bay, it looks to me that with just a bit of refinement, they'll definitely be "good enuf" for what I need them to do. Your offer sounds like a huge time saver for me compared to building a small fleet of stick-by-stick craftsman kits. If you have enough of them to form the backbone of the cattle car fleet, then I can use a couple of the BTS little cattle cars to add some variety. If you don't mind, go ahead and inventory how many you have and send me a note. You can use the PM feature here, or simply email me at laming at cebridge dot net. Thank you very much!

Mike said:

"Of course if they are lettered for the Union Pacific they will need new paint because UP is a downer for Andre."

I'm not totally against the UP, in fact I think they had some pretty neat engines/equipment back in the 1860s - 1880s. However, I like the name "Kansas Pacific" much better for a primary connection 'cause I think it helps to better locate the locale/theme for my little freelanced endeavor.

IF a road named the "Colorado & Pacific" connects with the "Kansas Pacific"... well... seeing that Kansas adjoins Colorado... and that as such it is an "east/west" thing... the hmm... maybe the C&P/KP are east/west oriented? Bingo!

HOWEVER... "Union Pacific" is quite generic and the UP was very far-flung, so it would seem to me that it would be a bit harder for me to convey location/theme. Maybe I'm majoring in minors here? (Nahh, not me! ) Guess it could be as simple as the fact that I just seem to like the KP name better.

Thought for the day: Do you realize R Day is LESS than 13 weeks away???? EEgad!!! Comin' at me fast now!

All fer now!!

Andre

railman28
Fireman

Posted - 01/31/2018 :  2:11:02 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Andre, I have six. 3 W&A (black), one ATSF (FLAT red), one Rio Grande (brown) and one Flat Red for your favorite RR the UP.

It's only make-believe

Edited by - railman28 on 01/31/2018 2:13:38 PM

Page: of 22 Previous Topic: Projects in Progress on the Southern Central RR Topic Next Topic: The freelance California Railway & Navigation Co  
 New Topic |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-17 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.36 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000