Railroad Line Forums - Promised Update...
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 4 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 124 ]  [ Total: 128 ]  [ Newest Member: brianrudko ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Early Rail Forum
 Promised Update...
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Projects in Progress on the Southern Central RR Topic Next Topic: The freelance California Railway & Navigation Co
Page: of 22

OK Hogger
Engine Wiper

Posted - 01/13/2018 :  10:11:09 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the hoot of encouragement there, Mike!

I think the next chop-top can be done in much less time. As I said at the first, it's well worth the time, though.

FWIW: Went ahead and bit the bullet and pried out the water tanks casting. As expected, pieces of the flooring came out with it. Went through my stash of Evergreen styrene and selected the thinnest scribed styrene I had, cut/filed to fit, and glued it in place as a false floor. Didn't take long, and ended up adding a Mantua gondola to the stash of "ready for paint" cars tonight. Sure saved time compared to making/adding tops for the tanks, hatches, etc... and then I would have been stuck with that nagging issue: "What is a water car doing in the Rockies???"

Won't be long and I'll need to start thinking about getting decals made, as well as how to address the need for refrigerator cars.

All fer now!

Andre

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 01/13/2018 :  10:31:16 PM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Andre,

Bitter Creek makes a kit for a 34’ Tiffany refrigerator car that looks pretty nice. If you can cut down those Mantua box cars I don’t see why you couldn’t shorten the Bitter Creek cars to something like 30 ft.

May I make a suggestion? I don’t want to seem critical, but your door guides should extend only a few inches to the right of the door—the width of a door stop—and only the width of the door to the left.

Mike

_______________________________________________________________________________________________
Nobody living can ever stop me, as I go walking that freedom highway -- Woody Guthrie

OK Hogger
Engine Wiper

Posted - 01/13/2018 :  11:46:41 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Mike!

Reefers...

Yes, I've seen the picture of that BC 34' Tiffany at their website. I was hoping to go with 28' foot reefers for the bulk of the reefer fleet, but I don't have any prototype pictures of them that I can think of offhand to see what they looked like. I may end up using the BC 34' Tiffany if I can't come up with a more cost-effective option, that is IF I can find some data to use for a guideline/reference. (Wasn't planning on building exact replicas of whatever pics/data I turn up, but instead would use the data to keep the proportions and fittings within the ball park.)

Guides...

I'm not too hep on those long guides, either. They were occasioned by the need to cover the holes left by the guides Mantua used. Didn't want to spend the time finding something (at local hardware stores/etc) to use as filler. My last tube of Squadron green is long gone, besides, I got away from the grainy "putty" type fillers. I evolved into using two part 5 minute epoxy for filling holes/etc. I used the kind of epoxy that was in two separate tubes, but can't find those locally any more. Years ago I tried the "siamese syringe" type 5 minute epoxy dispensers, but they don't dispense for long before epoxying themselves shut, regardless how careful you try to be. So I've got to figure out some other quick medium for filling the holes before sanding. Open to suggestions on quick drying, tough filler. (The aforementioned 5 minute in separate tubes was great for that.) Anyway, I figured the longer guides ought to be good enough for this one, and deal with the holes on the next one perhaps.

Wait a minute...

Okay, did a quick search. I used to use DEVCON brand 5 minute epoxy that was in two separate tubes. It appears to still be available... but I may have to order online. I plan to check the local Walmart Super Center tomorrow afternoon to see if (by some miracle) they carry it. If not, I'll try O'Reily autoparts.

All fer this 'un!

Andre

Edited by - OK Hogger on 01/13/2018 11:48:48 PM

BlairM
Section Hand

Posted - 01/14/2018 :  1:18:39 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Great chop job, the cars on the left have a good looking profile, definitely much better lowered.

If you are ordering anything from Bitter Creek, get some woodbeam trucks to replace those passenger car trucks on the Mantua cars. It's worth it after you spent the time to properly chop them, and they will track better.

OK Hogger
Engine Wiper

Posted - 01/15/2018 :  8:14:52 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Replies and additional drivel...

First, a reply:

Hi Blair!

Thanks for the tip! I too, am not overly pleased with the Mantua psgr trucks. The trucks you mention are certainly worth considering.

And now, some drivel...

Reefers Revisited:

Okay... going through my White freight car book, I find some refrigerator car illustrations (but no drawings ) that I can dig. I really like the proportions of some of the cars illustrated. These cars can be found in the following White freight car book illustrations: Fig. 4.34 on pg 274; Fig. 4.37 on pg 276; and Fig. 4.40 on pg 277.

All of the above cars seem to fit with my 1880s time span as well as fit with what I have mentally envisioned.

Of course, there are no car kits available that come close to the above, and would cost an arm and a leg if there was. SO... looks like eventually I'm going to have to figure out a way to do a "down n' dirty" scratch-bash to yield cars like the above. Ah well... it is what it is!

Epoxy Revisited:

Found the old Devcon 5 minute epoxy in two separate tubes is still available, so I now have two packs ordered. This will mean I can start plugging unwanted holes/etc in my kitbashing projects. This is a good thing.

More Drivel...

Found this on Facebook:

Nice proportions! Still has a diamond stack! Many good things about it that I like. (Except I don't care for the huge buffer posts on the pilot.) Overall, this is quite close to what I envision for power for my C&P.

In fact, later on, I could certainly get into creating a similar look for one of the C&P 2-8-0's!

Okay... enough for now.

Carry on!

Andre

CavalryTrooper25
Crew Chief

Posted - 01/17/2018 :  11:56:20 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

Blair;

The only thing you are missing on your PRR class X car, are link pin couplers.

Knowing that you are working on other details, just not applied yet.

Horse

OK Hogger
Engine Wiper

Posted - 01/17/2018 :  5:23:56 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Reefers 3: A Sequel...

I "THINK" I've figured out something to do for quick n' dirty reefers. Initial experimentation was encouraging. However, I have a question that perhaps some of you can help me with:

Grandt Line's reefer hardware sets:

* Which latch bars would come closest to being appropriately sized for the height of the typical side doors of std gauge cars of the 1880s: The #5005 "Colorado Style Reefer Car Hardware", or #5106 "Standard Gauge Reefer Car Hardware"?

Due to lot purchases of train set cars, I have ended up with a couple of Mantua "Ventilated" boxcars that I have zero interest in running in "near stock" form. Originally thought to simply chunk the body and use the frames for some scratch-bashed flat cars. Now, I'm not so sure about that. By shaving off all detail on the sides and sanding smooth, a piece of Evergreen V-groove siding (.020 thick) can be made to overlay onto the smoothed sides with just a small increase in the overall width of the car. Two pieces of cut-to-fit V-groove can be laminated onto the roof, one on each side of the roof walk, and a strip of V-groove glued to the remaining roof walk. The hardware from the Grandt set can help fill out the details. Presto: A 30' reefer car. The extra height of the car seems to be in the ballpark with the litho drawings and photos I have in the White book of 1880s era reefers.

Well??? Have any of you done this to the Mantua vent box? If so, any pointers and/or pitfalls to avoid??

All fer now!

Andre

deemery
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 01/18/2018 :  1:50:34 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I used the NG set on the smaller door on an old CV kit. Not sure what the prototype was, but the NG set was the right size for that reefer's door.

dave

Modeling 1890s (because the voices in my head told me to)

OK Hogger
Engine Wiper

Posted - 01/19/2018 :  10:12:14 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for your input Dave. I'll be I'll find the same fit for my scratch-bash idea.

I need to put together a Grandt Line order for needle beams w/pedestals, K brakes, and some other nic nacs... I will purchase one of each on the reefer rigging and have a look see.

All fer this 'un!

Andre

railman28
Fireman

Posted - 01/20/2018 :  12:32:05 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by deemery

I used the NG set on the smaller door on an old CV kit. Not sure what the prototype was, but the NG set was the right size for that reefer's door.

dave

That makes sense to me. Beef, people and other freight are the same size no matter what gauge the car is on.

It's only make-believe

OK Hogger
Engine Wiper

Posted - 01/21/2018 :  9:28:29 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Bob:

Yup, such reasoning would seem to make sense. Once the parts are in hand, we shall see!

My concern arose when I saw two listings, one for narrow gauge and one for standard, as well as a visual inspection I made the other day of some of the MDC 36' reefer cars I have left over from previous decades. The MDC cars have some pretty tall reefer doors as I recall (I'm not out in my Hobby Shack right now) and looked to be a much tougher bash job than what I'm doing with the Mantua ventilated boxcars.

I'm almost "there" in having enough cars on hand to say "good enough" for a basic fleet of freight and psgr cars. (Just purchased two more psgr cars tonight.) "All" I have to do now is get them ready for paint!! Still need to put together that Grandt Line order as well as hoping to get some decent blocks of time over the upcoming week so I can work out in my Hobby Shack. Been a busy week at work (6 days this week, 51.75 hours) and a busy Sunday. Just wasn't enough available time this past week to go out the Hobby Shack, settle into my comfy swiveling chair, and spend some quality time at the workbench. If I had a week of free days and all needed parts on hand... I think I could just about have all the cars on hand ready for paint.

Also, only two switches/turnouts away from having the needed switches on hand for my Version 1 track plan. Toughest one of those to find will be the Shinohara code 70 #6 Right Hand Curved switch. If you have one that is surplus and uncut, shoot me a PM with pricing and we'll talk!

All fer now!

Andre

OK Hogger
Engine Wiper

Posted - 01/22/2018 :  9:06:19 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Speaking of different heights for reefers, I offer this:

These were apparently within the same number series (5000's), but it is obvious the 5016 is an earlier design than the 5064.

The items to note are the apparent heights of the cars. The 5016 appears taller than the 5064, but that could be an optical illusion on account of overall length? Also, think the side doors are the same height, and the excess height above the side door of the 5016 makes it look shorter?

All fer now!

Andre

Early1905
New Hire

Posted - 01/22/2018 :  11:01:56 PM  Show Profile  Visit Early1905's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Different series.
From the June 1900 ORER
25000-25019 28' 6"; 8' 4"; 7' 9" 40,000 cpy
25050-25075 29' 6"; 8' 3"; 6' 8" 50,000 cpy

in March 1899 & June 1896 & June 1895 & Jun 1893 & Aug 1892
Series were
5002-5040 even numbers
5042-5090 even numbers
other data the same

ORER for June 1890
only series 5002-5042 even numbers
other data the same

Howard Garner

OK Hogger
Engine Wiper

Posted - 01/22/2018 :  11:20:34 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Howard!

Thanks for your input!

Ah!

So the ORER (Official Railway Equipment Register?) reveals that the 5016 was on the books in 1890, and seeing as the 5064 was built in 1890 by the Michigan Car Co. (as is written on the photo), it would not be in the 1890 (quarterly issue then, too?) issue ORER. IF I'm understanding that correctly, that gins with what I suspected: The 5016 is an earlier build than the 5064.

Anyone:

Best guesses as to the build date of the 5016? Think it dates to the mid-1880s? Unfortunately, the writing under it fades out to the point I can even see a date.

Whatever the build date of the 5016, I'm likely going to reflect its "look" in my Mantua scratch-bashes I'm planning, though I will have to go with whatever Clover House dry transfers I have on hand for lettering it. (Too late tonight to run out to my Hobby Shack and go through my meager stash of Clover House dry transfers I purchased recently.)

All fer tonight!

Andre

railman28
Fireman

Posted - 01/23/2018 :  10:54:03 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
IMHO 5016 was built about 88. I believe, she could of been built as early as 84. I love the two pictures. they really show how fast things were changing. On another note; if a manufacturer want to offer an early Tiffany Truck which one should he use as his pattern?

It's only make-believe

Page: of 22 Previous Topic: Projects in Progress on the Southern Central RR Topic Next Topic: The freelance California Railway & Navigation Co  
 New Topic |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-17 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.44 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000