Railroad Line Forums - Promised Update...
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 4 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 136 ]  [ Total: 140 ]  [ Newest Member: RyanAK ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Early Rail Forum
 Promised Update...
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: The freelance California Railway & Navigation Co Topic Next Topic: Early Railroad Equipment into the 50s
Page: of 22

OK Hogger
Engine Wiper

Posted - 12/13/2017 :  7:15:17 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Mike:

Wow... a scan of the track plan? If so, that would be a lot of effort, but would certainly be much appreciated.

Update:

So far, my temperature has been normal all day. If it continues to remain so until morning, I'm clear to go back to work. This means I've lost my 4 day weekend this week, and will need to work Wednesday following Christmas, but I'll still have a 4 day weekend for Christmas, then work the Wednesday after Christmas, then off again until Jan 2. Had I been able to return to work today, I would not need to work the Wednesday after Christmas, instead I would have had 10 straight days off. Oh well... at least I didn't have to burn up all of my remaining vacation days as sick days!!!

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 12/13/2017 :  7:58:02 PM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I looked at home and I don't have that one. I'll check our club library, tomorrow if I can.

Mike

_______________________________________________________________________________________________
Nobody living can ever stop me, as I go walking that freedom highway -- Woody Guthrie

OK Hogger
Engine Wiper

Posted - 12/13/2017 :  8:17:50 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Very generous of you Mike, but please don't put forth any extra effort. If it's handy for you to check the next time you're going to be at the club anyway, that's soon/good enough. In fact, I don't know if any of the ideas on the track plan would be idea-fodder for mine so your effort may not result in ideas I can utilize. Sure, seeing the track plan would be nice, but not imperative. Please don't feel any pressure whatsoever to find a Moraga Springs Northern track plan for me. Your time is important, too, you know!

Wait a minute... I'll be right back...

OK Hogger
Engine Wiper

Posted - 12/13/2017 :  8:29:47 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Okay...

Here several years ago I had a Great Magazine Purging in that I threw away TONS of model railroad magazines. I happened to think: Wonder if I held onto some of the special issues/issues of interest and poop-canned the rest?

So... I rummaged around and found the 20 or so magazines that I had saved and started going through them. Found some "Great Model Railroad" issues, some MR's and RMC's... then I found the 2001 issue of Model Railroad Planning... then the 1999 issue... drat! Kept going through the stack that was getting smaller and... EUREKA!! I have the 2000 issue!

Looks like Don's MSN fully filled a 12.5' x 12.5' room. I will be looking it over and studying his various elements to see if some ideas pop into my head.

But WAIT... there's MORE! (Said in my best "Ronco" commercial voice.)

I also found an April 2005 issue of MR that had a cover story on Dave Allen's "Pacific & Idaho Northern" HO scale 1900 era layout! An added bonus!

It's amazing some of the treasures we all have stashed away... forlorn and forgotten!!

Thank you very much Mike for being willing to put forth all that effort to help a fellow modeler out.

Us TOC'ers are a good lot, aren't we?

All fer now!

Andre

Edited by - OK Hogger on 12/13/2017 8:32:01 PM

railman28
Fireman

Posted - 12/13/2017 :  9:17:51 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Andre, you wrote...
"Looks like Don's MSN fully filled a 12.5' x 12.5' room. I will be looking it over and studying his various elements to see if some ideas pop into my head."

you got to see it now; http://sandcrr.blogspot.com/

It's only make-believe

OK Hogger
Engine Wiper

Posted - 12/13/2017 :  9:34:37 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Bob!

Yes, Don's layout that replaced the MSN, the "Stockton & Copperopolis", is FABULOUS! Superb workmanship throughout. I've poured over his S&C postings, videos, and whatever else I can turn up on it. As for the MSN: "One of these days" when I get my old scanner back up (that did a better job scanning than this "new" scanner), I will scan the track plan for the MSN and share it here for others to view.

As for me, I'm back to staring at my track plan and still trying to formulate something at the western end I'm happy with. All in good time.

Also waiting for one more order to arrive, a mixture of coupler items and wheels. When it arrives, all needed supplies will be on hand for some work sessions during some of my remaining 2017 vacation time.

Andre

OK Hogger
Engine Wiper

Posted - 12/14/2017 :  06:30:03 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
"I owe, I owe, so off to work I go!!"

(Sung to the tune of the Seven Dwarf's work song.)

Seriously: GLAD I'm on my way to work in a few!

AND... I've figured out a way to retain that 10 straight days off vacation!

Andre

CavalryTrooper25
Crew Chief

Posted - 12/14/2017 :  09:58:48 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by OK Hogger

Hi Horse!

Ah yes, the slatted doors/ends, etc: I've seen models of those (and a few proto-photos). It was the venting on the roof that I don't recall seeing.

Boy can I ever relate to this statement you made:

"Part of my enjoyment of this hobby is to take something, like these older RTR cars, and rework them to make them a much better car, than they started life as."

Apparently I too, enjoy that aspect of this era. "Back then" railroading was in such a state of fast evolution with many concepts being tried, some successful, many not. However, that state of flux allows room for some plausible "improv" modeling.

And yes, I would certainly like some prototype-based models on the layout. For example, I really like those Bitter Creek 25' CP boxcars. Bob Harris was doing a build thread on a fleet of four and they were looking excellent. Now, whether that type of car could still be seen in the 1880's is open to question... but I sure like'em.

All fer now!

Andre

Andre;

Remember, that railroads "Back then", lived by the cultural concept of never throw anything away if it still has a use. I have seen pictures of old Reading RR rolling stock taken in the 1960s, of equipment closing hard on 100 years of age. While no longer in revenue service, still worked for a living, either in MOW, or in Company service. PRR did this also, although they tended to move newer equipment over to these services, as they retired from revenue service, and scrapped the older stuff.

I have even seen a picture of a whole bunch of old PRR wooden box cars, that had been used in MOW for years, after retirement from revenue, being burned to allow the recovery of metal scrap.

Horse

OK Hogger
Engine Wiper

Posted - 12/14/2017 :  11:00:58 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Horse!

Ah yes, the ol' "waste not, want not" approach.

I shall use the little CP prototypes with nary a concern, as I shall also do for any car that I like that comes from the late 1860's era on into the 1880's that fits in with my Colorado theme.

Update:

With just a bit of time spent over the past couple evenings, I have most of the track roughed-in on my track plan for the west end. So far so good! Once I finish scaling it in, and the arrangements passes a little "test of time"... I pretty much have a Version 1 track plan upon which I can refine.

Life is good! (But the flu sucked.)

All fer now!

Andre

OK Hogger
Engine Wiper

Posted - 12/16/2017 :  9:38:04 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Had a WILD idea after looking at a thread over at an MRH forum...

A given: I like Colorado-type mountains, steep grades, helpers, etc. Reminding you of that, here's the hair-brained thought I had:

What if I modeled a notable tunnel under construction, of which the C&P is using a series of switchbacks to get over the mountain they're tunneling under until said time the tunnel would be finished?

This very scenario was used repeatedly by many railroads "back then" (NP's Stampede Pass, Mullens Pass, GN's Stevens Pass, SLSF's Boston Mtn Pass, etc, etc.)

A continuous run option could be preserved by making the tunnel functional so the switchback section could be by-passed.

There are drawbacks, several in fact, but I must say that I find the idea quite intriguing!!! No doubt fueled by these pictorial finds of mine from several years ago:

How odd. There was another pic I was going to include, but regardless of dimensions (less than 800 pixels wide) or size (less than 100 kb) this software simply does not display that picture (and some others) in the "Upload" browse window!!

Anyway... such an approach would necessitate very short trains. (NP was limited to only 7 cars and two HUGE 2-10-0 engines!) BUT... it would GREATLY increase run time over the divide compared to a contiguous point A, B, C, D type schematic.

See why it's tempting???

What say ye?

Andre

Edited by - OK Hogger on 12/16/2017 9:39:01 PM

deemery
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 12/17/2017 :  10:11:22 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Another thing to consider is filling in a trestle bridge. Often the railroad would construct a wood trestle, and then use waste from projects like a tunnel to fill in around the trestle. A good excuse to run old ballast hoppers/flatcars/gondolas from the tunnel site (with a steam shovel to fill them.)

dave

Modeling 1890s (because the voices in my head told me to)

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 12/17/2017 :  10:35:44 AM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Andre,

I think your idea is a good one. And Dave is right with regard to permanent trestles; many railroads would fill them in over time where practical. I donít recall ever seeing this modeled.

Turns out that our club does have MR Planning 2000 so I was able to see the track plan. It looks very efficient for space. Are there elements you might adopt?

Mike

_______________________________________________________________________________________________
Nobody living can ever stop me, as I go walking that freedom highway -- Woody Guthrie

railman28
Fireman

Posted - 12/17/2017 :  11:44:34 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think it could be a good idea. it would allow you to use a lot of vertical space with multiple tracts at different levels prototypical.

It's only make-believe

OK Hogger
Engine Wiper

Posted - 12/17/2017 :  4:11:25 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Guys!

Dave:

Hadn't thought of idea of rock fill coming out of the tunnel under construction going to various locations "out on the (non modeled portions) of main" for trestle filling. Good idea!

Mike:

Don't know in regards to adapting elements... just thought he did a pretty good job with the space and constraints he had to work with.

Bob:

Yes, that vertical space and the ability for some pretty dramatic track would definitely be positives.

All:

I see that all of you agree that the idea has merit.. but I'm concerned the drawbacks might be deal breakers, some of which are:

* Continuous run wouldn't cover the entire layout, only from "end loop through 'tunnel under construction' to end-loop". That' wouldn't be much actual visible train running!

* Would be difficult (and probably not prototypical) to fit in mine spurs on the switchback sections. Doubt any mines would locate along such temporary track.

* Going to be very difficult to fit in a pass track at the summit or some other place.

Once I've finished with my current contiguous run theme track plan, I could go ahead and at least see what I can come up with on paper... but I think I'm going to find that I'll need more space to really do it right.

As it sits, I have a "workable" track plan that so far consumes 25 switches. That figure will only go up by another 2 or 3 as I fit in some mines along the current mainline run.

Thanks for your iput, fella's!

All fer now!

Andre

OK Hogger
Engine Wiper

Posted - 12/17/2017 :  8:55:12 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think I got that other switchback picture to upload! Had to copy/paste it to a new location before this software would see it in the browse window for some odd reason.

Anyway, here it is:

Pretty rugged, eh?

Now, to be sure, such a layout theme (switchbacks bypassing tunnel construction) could be VERY dramatic and offer a ton of operation as you shuttle tonnage back and forth over the mountain. However, as mentioned above, I don't know how plausible it would be to try to locate mines/what have you along the temporary switchbacks, thus I would give up online switching places along a mainline.

Ah, this dadgum imagination of mine!

(Sigh.) I guess I need to see what I can come up with on paper and prove to myself this really is a foolhardy idea.

All fer now!

Andre

Page: of 22 Previous Topic: The freelance California Railway & Navigation Co Topic Next Topic: Early Railroad Equipment into the 50s  
 New Topic |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-17 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.44 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000