Railroad Line Forums - Promised Update...
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 3 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 101 ]  [ Total: 104 ]  [ Newest Member: Midwest Mark ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Early Rail Forum
 Promised Update...
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Projects in Progress on the Southern Central RR Topic Next Topic: The freelance California Railway & Navigation Co
Page: of 22

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 12/08/2017 :  8:57:40 PM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Nice!

_______________________________________________________________________________________________
Nobody living can ever stop me, as I go walking that freedom highway -- Woody Guthrie

OK Hogger
Engine Wiper

Posted - 12/09/2017 :  11:45:13 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
So last night I piddled off/on and got another Bachmann ready to paint. I think this makes four ready to paint now. However, after coming back into the house and starting to wrap things up for the night, I kept thinking about how to cut down an AHM/Pocher to make a 30-something foot boxcar. You know how something kind of nags at you and you keep mulling it over?

Sure enough, this morning it was out to the Hobby Shack shortly after breakfast with the intent to see what I could do with the cut down idea.

I'd like to say it's easy-peasy... but it took a bit longer than I expected, what with all the "filing to fit" things going on. However, the concept is very sound and makes for a neat looking little boxcar. Here is the rough version set in the middle of a Bachmann (AHM) on the left, the cut-down AHM/Pocher in the middle, and a modified Mantua on the right.

Given where the cuts need to be made, this version came out at 29.75' over the ends. I'll probably keep this one as is (not lowered/etc) and just smooth up the joints and run it through The System and get it ready for paint along with the Bachmann's I've been working on. Don't know if I'll cut down another anytime soon, when I do, I will measure with the intent of taking out another section of roof to see if it would be down within the 25-27' range or something. (If I cut midway between the roof batons, it complicates the joint.) IF it turns out I go for it, I think that version would be lowered onto the frame, too. All in good time.

Like Bob pointed out: It would be easy to consume MORE time on this stuff than just building a kit straight out of the box! Unfortunately, I like to piddle and experiment... and this era lends itself WONDERFULLY to such a tendency. Ah well, this is supposed to be fun first, right?

Coupler Comparisons:

Mentioned that I should have taken a pic of the visual differences between a Kadee 58 series coupler and the tried and true Kadee #5. Well, here you go...

Obviously, the #5 still has the "air hose" in place. I am clipping those off the 58 series couplers for my link n' pin era theme.

Okay... that's it for this post!

Enjoy your weekend! Wife and I will be going to my RR's annual Christmas Party for the last time this evening. We'll have our last "Christmas Party" slow dance together before I retire come May/June!

Andre

Edited by - OK Hogger on 12/09/2017 11:50:44 AM

masonamerican
Fireman

Posted - 12/10/2017 :  11:58:54 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Great to see some stuff on the workbench! I like the cut down boxcar very much.

I agree Andre it is supposed to be fun. I remember MR slogan "Model Railroading Is Fun" which I think they dropped years ago. I must say that sometimes I do a lot of work on something which during the process wasn't much fun but in the end gave me something satisfying. I think its up to the modeler to find his own "good enough level". Which it seems you have done Andre. It took me awhile before finding it. For me I spent too much work on an individual car with work that in the end wasn't noticable when it was running on the layout. So I started to simplify or adjusting myself to my "good enough level". The end goal for me is to have complete a functioning layout. Someday.....

Håkan

deemery
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 12/11/2017 :  09:02:51 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
All modeling is about compromises. Each of us decides what s/he wants to capture, and what we're ok with getting wrong/ignoring/hiding. And of course, half the benefit is in the construction itself, not the results.

One thing I never get around to adding to boxcar models is cut levers. But I don't miss them at all. Occasionally I'll do full brake rigging, even though it can't be seen, just to learn/understand how it went together.

dave

Modeling 1890s (because the voices in my head told me to)

OK Hogger
Engine Wiper

Posted - 12/11/2017 :  4:22:30 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi fella's!

Thanks for your input/comments. Over the past few days I received my #153 coupler order, as well as some cheapie "bagain" kits I snagged off eBay. For some time now, my plans were to have as much stuff on hand so I could utilize much of my remaining 2017 vacation time to make some great progress on my rolling stock fleet. I was going to use two days this coming weekend (Friday and Monday, giving me a four day weekend) and then all of the week of Christmas.

Unfortunately, life has a tendency to get in the way of our best laid plans. Saturday night (at the company Christmas party) I started feeling like crap, got worse on Sunday... and ended up hitting the clinic this morning. I tested positive for the flu and I'm now on meds and I can't return to work until I've gone 24 hrs without fever. Needless to say... there goes some of my vacation time in order to not lose income. One day (today) is already used up, and looks like tomorrow for sure, too. Best I can hope for is to return on Wednesday, but I'll need to be fever-free in the morning. Seeing as I feel like I've been pi**ed at and missed, and s**t at and hit... I don't feel like being at the hobby bench working on my stuff. Sucks!

About the cut-down car: It ended up being about the same length as the Mantua car. Fortunately, there are enough visual differences that they don't resemble one another too much. Like I said, I'll probably finish this one and then return to focusing on the Bachmann's I have on hand.

I guess I could use some of my current "sick leave" time to start thinking about the Colorado & Pacific's rolling stock fleet in regards to numbers/models and what have you. I may refer to the Colorado Midland's roster to get some ideas as to numbering conventions/etc, as well look at some other "inspirational" roads that helped conceive the C&P.

Well, all fer now.

Andre

CavalryTrooper25
Crew Chief

Posted - 12/11/2017 :  4:49:16 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by OK Hogger

Hi 'ya Horse!

Thanks a bunch for sharing your input. I'm not familiar with the roof walk ventilated boxes of which you speak, but I certainly understand the "shave n' file" routine well.

Andre

Andre;

There were many methods of ventilating house (box) cars. The most common was to have two sets of doors, one slatted in some form, and the other a regular solid door. MDC/Roundhouse made a variation on this concept, with vertical slats. I have seen pictures of the horizontal slatting, similar to a stock car also used. installing ventilated panels in the ends, and sides of cars was another option. Some versions I have read about had a center vent in the roof, much like what is used in the roof of homes to allow air flow, etc. There is very little photographic evidence of them, simply because the roof walk covered the vents, so they were not obvious.

As to the AHM/Pocher version house car, I simply took the material I was presented with, and modified it to my needs, then concocted a plausible explanation for why a regular roofwalk was sitting on top of this wider, raised section of the roof. I have no proof that this exact style of roof venting was ever used, but, as I said I had to go with what I had, and make it believable. A raised box, over the central vent, prevents rain/snow from entering the vent, while allowing the roof walk to be applied.

Plausible, believable, and saves a heck of a lot of sanding, filing, and removal of excess material.

Horse

CavalryTrooper25
Crew Chief

Posted - 12/11/2017 :  5:01:46 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

I have to agree, that in many cases if I was after being as prototypical as possible, I would either go with BTS, or one of the other more modern kits that make PRR prototype rolling stock, and yes, I do have some of them as well.

Part of my enjoyment of this hobby is to take something, like these older RTR cars, and rework them to make them a much better car, than they started life as. It is the challenge, the learning as I go, and the overcoming the setbacks that I enjoy most of all. I have even gone back to the boxes of my model train stuff from my very early years in the hobby, much of which was packed up by my parents, when I left for the military in the mid 1970s, and has only begun to see the light again recently. I am evaluating the residue of those old projects, with my current modeling eye, and seeing potential, where ten, or more years ago, I would have seen nothing but hopeless lost causes.

Horse

railman28
Fireman

Posted - 12/11/2017 :  5:32:27 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Of the Mass produced Early Rail boxcars I feel the Bachmann are the most serviceable. They can be detailed into good-enough models. Om my explore I like you redid the door tracks and body mounted the couplers, but also replaced the truss rods and needle points along with the brake staff and wheel and still The truck side frames look so heavy. Additionally every time the car was next to a Central Valley Boxcars the cast-on ladder rungs stuck out like a sore thumb.
Just my humble experience.

It's only make-believe

OK Hogger
Engine Wiper

Posted - 12/11/2017 :  5:42:38 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Horse!

Ah yes, the slatted doors/ends, etc: I've seen models of those (and a few proto-photos). It was the venting on the roof that I don't recall seeing.

Boy can I ever relate to this statement you made:

"Part of my enjoyment of this hobby is to take something, like these older RTR cars, and rework them to make them a much better car, than they started life as."

Apparently I too, enjoy that aspect of this era. "Back then" railroading was in such a state of fast evolution with many concepts being tried, some successful, many not. However, that state of flux allows room for some plausible "improv" modeling.

And yes, I would certainly like some prototype-based models on the layout. For example, I really like those Bitter Creek 25' CP boxcars. Bob Harris was doing a build thread on a fleet of four and they were looking excellent. Now, whether that type of car could still be seen in the 1880's is open to question... but I sure like'em.

All fer now!

Andre

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 12/11/2017 :  9:30:06 PM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Andre,

Those CP cars were still around In the 1890’s so would be appropriate for your period.

Athough not quite the same as rehabbing an older kit, some current kits are ripe for modification. For instance the BTS 28’ Pennsy boxcar is fairly generic. I’ve also shortened the B&O 34’ car to make 28’ radial roof cars, for which there is no kit available. I’m not sure many western roads ran radial roof cars, though, so that doesn’t help you.

When cutting up car bodies I much prefer wood over plastic.

Mike

_______________________________________________________________________________________________
Nobody living can ever stop me, as I go walking that freedom highway -- Woody Guthrie

OK Hogger
Engine Wiper

Posted - 12/12/2017 :  7:31:43 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Mike!

Thanks for your input.

Cool! Those nifty little BC CP cars will fit just fine with my 1880's theme!

You actually prefer modifying wood kits, eh? Never modified a wood kit before. In fact, I can only recall building 4-5 over the years decades. VERY early on in my "scale" modeling career (previously to that I enjoyed model railroading via glorified train sets. I was 14 I think? Would have been mid-1960's?), anyway, I built some Quality Craft kits: Three tri-level auto racks, and a 60' outside braced modern boxcar. (Modern for the mid-1960's!) I recall enjoying it okay, but didn't really think wood reflected steel cars too good. Then decades later (mid-1980's), I built a Central Valley 34' box when I was trying to muster up the courage to leave my diesel "safety net" behind and take the TOC19 plunge. Now THAT wood build I enjoyed and thought the natural wood grain looked great.

As for me, I think what I like about die cast plastic kits is that splices are made easier by the typical symmetry found in the wood sheaths on the side, slats/roof battons up top. etc. That, and essentially ALL of my kit-bashing, scratch-bashing, etc, has been performed using styrene (kits and supplies), so styrene is my "comfort zone". However, looking forward to doing some more wood kits eventually.

<< Whining and Moaning Mode ON: >>>

Sure would have been nice to use my vacation time working out in my train room on my fleet of rolling stock instead of burning it one day at a time trying to get my fever back down to "normal" for 24 hours previous to returning to work. Using another vacation day tomorrow. Now I'm eating into the vacation time that was going to be used during Christmas week that I was so looking forward too.

I feel just bad enough that I don't need to be up and about and in/out of the cold air going to/from my hobby room, and such... but not bad enough to be in the bed most of time sleeping it off.

Did I mention this REALLY sucks??

Okay, okay... I'll quit whining now.

Andre

OK Hogger
Engine Wiper

Posted - 12/12/2017 :  9:19:24 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Back many years ago, wasn't there a series of articles in RMC or MR about a 1900's era coal hauling railroad named, I think, the "Coal Belt" or something like that? Do any of you know if there is anything online about that layout? Anyone recall the name of the layout creator/builder?

Can you tell I'm getting bored convalescing and searching for things to read???

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 12/12/2017 :  10:41:33 PM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Bill Henderson.

OK Hogger
Engine Wiper

Posted - 12/12/2017 :  11:23:20 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Mike!

Found this:

http://www.modelraildayton.com/GMR019.html

Also learned that Bill is now doing custom layout designs. I was hoping to see pictures of the layout and possibly a track plan, but no such luck thus far. No biggie, just wanted to see how he did things.

Also trying to turn up a track plan for Don Ball's previous layout the "Moraga Springs Northern" that was featured in "Model Railroad Planning 2000". I have heard he utilized his space nicely and an online friend of mine suggest I look it over.

In my wanderings, I did turn up a neat video by Don Ball of his Stockton & Copperopolis model railroad:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jyULFes8vzc

I really need to get out soon, huh?

Andre

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 12/13/2017 :  12:01:42 PM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I can check whether I have that issue of Planning. If not we might have it at our club.

Mike

Page: of 22 Previous Topic: Projects in Progress on the Southern Central RR Topic Next Topic: The freelance California Railway & Navigation Co  
 New Topic |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-17 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.34 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000