Railroad Line Forums - The Oak Grove RR, an evolving layout.
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 0 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 79 ]  [ Total: 79 ]  [ Newest Member: SanderR ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 The On30 Line
 The Oak Grove RR, an evolving layout.
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: The Whiskey Gap & Southern Railroad Topic Next Topic: 2017 small layout meet
Page: of 19

Geezer
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 05/30/2016 :  10:21:00 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Really nice work Terrell.....good attention to detail!!!
I like the d-cell Critter too....;-)

"You can find my Website & Threads here:"
http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=47229

Hopeless
Fireman

Posted - 05/30/2016 :  6:33:15 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Very impressive. Everything looks like it belongs and details are excellent.

Roland

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 05/30/2016 :  10:22:13 PM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Terrell,

I like those large multi pane windows, appropriate for a carpenter shop where lighting is so important for accurate work. That's a good idea for making the lumber mill a part of the complex.

It appears from all the models in the background that you could build any number of modules.

Mike

_______________________________________________________________________________________________
Nobody living can ever stop me, as I go walking that freedom highway -- Woody Guthrie

Smokestack Jack
Engine Wiper

Posted - 05/31/2016 :  2:45:19 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Great work! It gives me a lot of inspiration for my model building.

Terrell
Crew Chief

Posted - 05/31/2016 :  5:24:20 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks a bunch, Guys !! Mike, that's all I have built for the last 6 years is modules. This current one is by far the biggest though.

OK, the next step was adding this Electric shop.

It wasn't intended to have an interior since I didn't have the vaguest idea what it should look like. Then I got to thinking... so it now houses the 12.6V transformer that will run the lights in all of the shops.

And now it is truly an Electric shop.

Edited by - Terrell on 05/31/2016 5:26:58 PM

friscomike
Crew Chief

Premium Member

Posted - 05/31/2016 :  10:28:26 PM  Show Profile  Visit friscomike's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Terrific idea! ~mike corley

Terrell
Crew Chief

Posted - 06/01/2016 :  5:36:04 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks, Mike !

Next I added the Brake shop. No interior, I didn't fill it with brakes.

Junior thought I said "Break" shop. And he claims he graduated the third grade.

quartergauger48
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 06/01/2016 :  8:44:47 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Cool idea for power supply to structures Fred.
I wish I would have though of that for my layout.
BTW, my rust soup is still fermenting and looking
pretty good'....

Ted

Terrell
Crew Chief

Posted - 06/02/2016 :  4:35:18 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ted, if your soup has a nice orange tint to it, it is probably ready. If you've never used it before please note that when you dip the wood in it or brush it on you won't see an immediate change, at least not to the point of what the true color will be. It has to dry thoroughly. You can speed that up by placing the treated wood in a sunny window, with a blow dryer or a few minutes in the microwave.

And moving on... last but not least, I added the Car shop.

At this point in time the mainline is running through the shop, right hand door. That will later change as the module continued to evolve.

quartergauger48
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 06/02/2016 :  7:49:26 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Fred. It is orange. I also made a batch
of steel wool and just water a couple of weeks before I learned technique. I used it today on some Rusty Stump's manhole covers. I let them soak for a few days until the liquid evaporated.
Looks like dirt and rust blended together. Your soup definitely looks different and will be just what I want for wood...Will try it out tomorrow as it will be a rainy day'...for modeling'...

Ted

Terrell
Crew Chief

Posted - 06/03/2016 :  5:47:59 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This brings us up to April of this year.

All of the buildings are in place on the module.

If you look at what I have so far, as far as track goes, if you split the module down the middle vertically, there are two sets of tracks. One set on each side that do not connect. There was not really enough room in the room the module was in to add any more length. So I got to thinking, if I could add a drop leaf on each end of the module that completed the loop and tied the two outside tracks together I could at least run the goose in an oval when I wanted to. Then drop the leafs out of the way when I wasn't using them. That's better than going from point A seven feet to point B, then back. But it soon became apparent that no matter how much I added to the ends of the module I wouldn't be able to make a curve wide enough for the Goose. I was going to have to expand the width. Definitely not enough room for that. Unless I cleared everything else out of the room, not going to happen. So.... I talked my wife, who was using the other larger spare room, to swap rooms with me. She obliged.

So I swapped the rooms in a day or so. And added 16 more inches to the width.

Now we're cooking.

To be continued..................

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 06/03/2016 :  7:16:47 PM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Terrell,

You have an interesting story. I feel like I'm reading a Dickens novel as it originally appeared in serial form, having to wait for the next installment.

Mike

_______________________________________________________________________________________________
Nobody living can ever stop me, as I go walking that freedom highway -- Woody Guthrie

quartergauger48
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 06/03/2016 :  11:52:34 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
How true that is Mike, waiting for the next installment'..I'm waiting for that goose to pull
up and take me around the loop'...' Nice wife you have Fred'..That swap deserves a nice
bouquet, I would think'...

Ted

Terrell
Crew Chief

Posted - 06/04/2016 :  4:53:25 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks, Ted and Mike.

I think it was at this point, the module is now 46" wide instead of 30" and is not coming out of that room, that I christened it a layout.

The reason for the cut-out in the expansion [ seen above] was to add this gully.

So I could add this bridge made from and Atlas HO bridge. I shortened the length and widened the "bridge" part of it. And added water to the gully.

All is going well now except..... there wasn't enough support under the new 16" expansion. Since the layout is on casters I couldn't just put a brace under it to the floor, I still want it to be moveable. So, I added another beam on the lower framework and added another set of casters and a diagonal brace just about where the gully is. Perfect! Or maybe not.

Since the upper framework has expanded only to one side, the base is now dangerously off center.

But I managed to detach the upper part from the base and move the base more towards center. So now I have no fear of a tip-over.

More to come....

TRAINS1941
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 06/04/2016 :  6:42:31 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well that certainly is looking fine. Nice job Terrell.

Jerry

"And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years." A. Lincoln

Page: of 19 Previous Topic: The Whiskey Gap & Southern Railroad Topic Next Topic: 2017 small layout meet  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-14 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.69 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000