Railroad Line Forums - Maine Highlands
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 2 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 103 ]  [ Total: 105 ]  [ Newest Member: rkovvur ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Mid Scale Model Railroad Forum
 Maine Highlands
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: B&M Eastern Route progress Topic Next Topic: Port of Los Angeles Layout
Page: of 7

jbvb
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 11/13/2016 :  10:25:38 PM  Show Profile  Visit jbvb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Another thing to consider is what you're using for gravel & ballast. DO I recognize Woodland Scenics 'Medium Gray'? 'Fine' looks better to me for HO scale. When I want really fine particles, I use beach sand - near me, some beaches have coarser brownish sand, others have fine gray sand, sometimes with some mica mixed in. I also mix sifted dirt (I'm modeling areas not far from my house) with sand for gravel roads and walks.

quartergauger48
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 11/14/2016 :  12:04:54 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Your're making very nice progress'. I like your scenes. I would leave everything the way it currently is, and continue on with the build of the layout and your additional scenes. Then once complete, (really) I think you'll find there is no real complete..I continually change, add and move scenes on my layout. Especially when adding new structures, etc. But when you get closer to the finish you can go back to each scene and reevaluate them. You'll be surprised how you will change them, and add weathering where appropriate and bring them more to life....and add realism with some and wear and tear. It seems to come naturally as you,' and the layout progress forward'.. Weathering can always be added easily. It is not so easy to take it away...It's better I think, to wait to see how the entire layout will all blend together realistically...This is just MHO, and by no means any kind of recommendation. Just based on my own personal experience from building my layout. Continued success with your empire'..

ted :<)

Edited by - quartergauger48 on 11/14/2016 12:22:54 AM

Dutchman
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 11/14/2016 :  08:54:39 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You have built a nice scene around the sawmill, Dave.

mainetrains
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 11/14/2016 :  4:00:20 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the input. To answer a few questions the gravel road/parking area is made of a combination of 3 fine ballast materials - gray, light gray and buff. The ballast is WS fine gray. At some point I plan to add a diluted mixture of India ink and rubbing alcohol to the road areas to darken them up. Then they will get some weeds, etc. I keep meaning to get some dullcote but keep forgetting. Sooner or later it will happen and I will be able to spend some of the soon to be long winter nights on the vehicles and weathering rolling stock.

Again thanks for your input.

Dave

"there's something happening here, what it is ain't exactly clear"

mainetrains
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 11/28/2016 :  4:31:21 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Been a slow couple of weeks but I do have some pictures of what I have been doing. Finished up the last batch of Super Trees until the warm weather returns since I do much of the work on them in an unheated porch/mud room area.

I also spent an evening working on some Atlas telephone pole. I scraped them with a razor saw before painting them gray. Then I painted the insulators a dark green and then a glossy finish.

Also finally got some dullcote and sprayed some of the vehicles. I did not forsee the windows ending up frosty. I guess it will be a frosty morning on the Maine Highlands!

Finally I have been working on the Bar Mills 'Tiny's Trackside Cafe'. I do like the Bar Mills kits. They are challenging, but not too challenging. You may notice a small hole above the doors in the first picture. That will be the home of a Woodland Scenics wall mount gooseneck light.

There's the update.

As always, all comments and suggestions are welcome.

Dave

jbvb
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 11/28/2016 :  5:21:28 PM  Show Profile  Visit jbvb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
You might be able to re-polish the windshields with some really fine sandpaper, 400 or 600 grit?

mainetrains
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 12/04/2016 :  3:58:21 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Here are some pictures of the more or less finished Bar Mills "Tiny's Trackside Café" kit.
Details and such will be added once it gets planted on the layout.

I like the way it turned out.

As always, all comments and suggestions are welcome.

Dave

quartergauger48
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 12/04/2016 :  4:43:04 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Take a Que tip and dip it in 70 - 90 % alcohol and that dull coat will come right off. Much easier than sand paper'. and no scratches'...You only need a dab of alcohol. Just don't get it on the painted areas;...as will take of some of the paint'..on plastic vehicles. not so much on die cast'... Nice job on the kit' looks great'..

ted :<)

Edited by - quartergauger48 on 12/04/2016 5:55:30 PM

mainetrains
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 01/11/2017 :  4:56:28 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It's been forever since I've given you guys an update - since last year

I'll just post the pictures of the Tiny's Trackside Café and Earl's Service Station area without comment.

Tiny's is a Bar Mills kit - Earl's is a Blair Line kit.

I'll be looking forward to reading your comments, suggestions, etc.

Dave

Dutchman
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 01/11/2017 :  5:02:08 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Nice job on both structures, Dave.

danielb
Engine Wiper

Posted - 01/11/2017 :  5:12:42 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Very nice work on both structures there, Dave. I am tempted to replicate Tiny's in HO now, it's got such character. :)

CavalryTrooper25
Crew Chief

Posted - 01/19/2017 :  10:10:35 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by mainetrains

Old bridge.

CSNY

Horse

mainetrains
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 02/05/2017 :  09:13:08 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Haven't been doing too much - winter blahs I guess. My latest project was this HO Flag Stop kit from Laser Art Structures. I envision it as a drop off/pick up point for people headed to a tourist hotel. At least for those who didn't want to drive. They will arrive in a single passenger car (small one) pulled by an old-fashioned steam engine. All part of the vacation package.

My question for everyone is does the kit look a little under scale? Here are some pictures.

Sure would like to hear what you think.

Dave

jbvb
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 02/05/2017 :  09:39:22 AM  Show Profile  Visit jbvb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
The key issue is how it measures with a scale rule. The canopy is low, but looks considerably more than 6' high. A RR would probably have built it higher, but in your world the resort might have built it.

danielb
Engine Wiper

Posted - 02/05/2017 :  12:55:02 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Perhaps try planting it on a slightly raised wooden platform, that might fix the scale issues.

Page: of 7 Previous Topic: B&M Eastern Route progress Topic Next Topic: Port of Los Angeles Layout  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-19 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.47 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000