Railroad Line Forums - Maine Highlands
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 2 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 85 ]  [ Total: 87 ]  [ Newest Member: Patrick Loves Steam ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Mid Scale Model Railroad Forum
 Maine Highlands
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: My Mechanical Adventures in HO Scale Motive Power Topic Next Topic: John Rahenkamps Clairmont, Lewiston & Western
Page: of 7

mainetrains
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 10/10/2016 :  4:32:12 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Okay...I finally have some new pictures for you. First a quick rundown on what I have accomplished over the past couple of weeks. Finished up the Clayton County Lumber Yard. I've got it planted on the layout. Still have to
detail the scene.
Also I added another reversing section to the layout. Amazingly it did not require too much disruption to the existing track plan...and the reversing section worked on the first try...so proud of myself!

Now for some pictures-

The first two are looks along the river. I need some advice on the boulders...do they look to large? They are intended to keep the good ol' boys from driving into the water.

Here's a look at the C&NW 78 coming down the maineline past the Campbell Supply Warehouse spur where a couple of box cars are awaiting pickup.

Here are three shots of Clayton County Lumber -

Finally a "night" picture of the lumberyard. I do love those Woodland Scenics lights.

As always all comments and suggestions are welcome.

Dave

"there's something happening here, what it is ain't exactly clear"

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 10/10/2016 :  6:58:13 PM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Dave,

Your lumber yard turned out nice. I like the slight rusty look.

You do a good job with lighting and night-time photos.

I've seen that sort of thing done with rocks along roads providing a barrier. Yours are pretty large but not unreasonably so.

Mike

_______________________________________________________________________________________________
Nobody living can ever stop me, as I go walking that freedom highway -- Woody Guthrie

mainetrains
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 10/11/2016 :  06:06:15 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the input Mike.

Dave

Bill Gill
Fireman

Posted - 10/11/2016 :  07:34:38 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
mainetrains, those boulders might be a a tad hefty. I suspect they are granite? Granite weighs about 170 lbs/cubic foot and the boulders look roughly 4x4x4 ft which would make them weigh about 5.5 tons each, but everything is stronger in Maine :)

jbvb
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 10/11/2016 :  1:17:15 PM  Show Profile  Visit jbvb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
One thing to consider is what the locals had available to move the rocks. Today, a big wheel loader could handle several tons in the bucket, but before 1960 they'd have had to get something that big onto a stone boat and drag it.

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 10/11/2016 :  2:30:47 PM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Dave,

Let me add that I think they will look more a part of the scene once you work some grass and weeds around and between them. Make them look like they've been sitting there a while.

Mike

_______________________________________________________________________________________________
Nobody living can ever stop me, as I go walking that freedom highway -- Woody Guthrie

Bill Gill
Fireman

Posted - 10/11/2016 :  6:23:21 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
In Moving Heavy Things (1980) Jan Adkins described the building of a stone wharf in Wareham, Mass. in the fall of 1880. The draft on the stone sloops carrying the granite blocks from Maine was too deep to get close enough to unload. Using the high moon tides as a guide, the builders dug a shallow trench from a place where the sloops could be unloaded to the construction site. Layers of ice were built up in it and in February the level frozen ice created a track to slide the stones along. Your boulders are bigger than those granite blocks, but your guys only had to move them a much shorter distance. :)

mainetrains
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 10/12/2016 :  4:22:36 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for all the input. My first impressions of the boulders was that they were way out of scale. And they looked so small when I picked them out of the driveway! I haven't added any grass/weeds, etc. because I wasn't sure about how they looked. I'll be replacing them in the near future.

Again, thanks for your suggestions.

Dave

CavalryTrooper25
Crew Chief

Posted - 10/24/2016 :  10:22:19 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

I think that your rock barrier is a bit too large. The point of such barriers is to prevent drunks, or out of control drivers from sliding into the water, and drowning. Rocks that large would certainly accomplish that, but it would probably kill the driver/passengers from the impact. Not sure exactly the time period you are representing, but seat belts were not mandatory in cars until 1984. New York being the first state to require them. Nash offered them as an option in 1949, and Ford in 1955, but most people didn't use them, as they were a "new fangled thing". Until the 1960s, and some areas into the early 70s, seat belt use wasn't really popular. As a kid in the 60s, I remember our 1965 Ford station wagon only had seat belts for the front seats, We got a new car in 1967, and it had them both front, and rear, but Ford was a leader in that technology.

One possibility, rather than changing the rocks, would be to cut holes in the deck, and build a sort of cup on the underside to hold the rock in place, thus having only half, or less of the rock above the ground level, then, as previously mentioned, put weeds, et al around them to soften the edge.

Horse

Tyson Rayles

Premium Member

Posted - 10/25/2016 :  07:47:37 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If you put the boulders in the ground....

"One possibility, rather than changing the rocks, would be to cut holes in the deck, and build a sort of cup on the underside to hold the rock in place, thus having only half, or less of the rock above the ground level, then, as previously mentioned, put weeds, et al around them to soften the edge.

Horse"

Agreed

Edited by - Tyson Rayles on 10/25/2016 07:50:59 AM

mainetrains
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 10/30/2016 :  09:38:35 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Slow but steady I've been making some progress. Not with the rocks along the river yet - keep procrastinating about gathering some more pebbles out of the driveway.
The good news is I have done some more detailing in the Clayton County Lumber/Superior Feed yard. I still have more to do but I have some pictures to share -

In this picture some of the crew are taking a lunch break while a stray cat looks for some tidbits.

The next group of pictures is of the Birch Cabins a popular vacation spot tucked along the river. Here a weekend group is taking advantage of a warm mid-fall day to get in one last barbecue.

I still have some sceniking to do in both areas but progress is being made.

As always all comments and suggestions are welcome.

Dave

Dutchman
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 10/30/2016 :  09:43:57 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I like the shots from around the lumber yard and cabins, Dave. Those cabin shots show that fall is in the air. If you have any dried tea leaves, you could sprinkle some under those trees with the fall foliage.

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 10/30/2016 :  10:08:20 AM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Dave,

Your details make the scene. Nice.

Mike

mainetrains
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 11/13/2016 :  09:58:28 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have some more pictures for you including some of the latest addition to my empire - Woodland Scenics Buzz's Sawmill. With Buzz's installed it pretty much completes that portion of the layout - the upper right-hand corner as you will see in this picture taken from the door to the trainroom.

Now some pictures of the area around the sawmill and lumber yard. The first one has a cat sitting on a tree stump in the lower right-hand side of the picture.

You may be noticing the addition of a bunch more trees in the photos. I particularly like the clump with light green leaves in the middle of this photo.

An overview of Buzz's Sawmill.

In this last photo we see Buzz 'negotiating' with the owner of the truckload of lumber. If you look closely near the top of the picture you will see a worker on top of the Bar Mills oil tanks.

That's all for now.
As always, all comments and suggestions are welcome.

Dave

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 11/13/2016 :  10:24:46 AM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Dave,

The size of your new structure complements your scene nicely. Adds a lot of little detail also.

Some of the things that stand out in the photo (and probably not to the naked eye). Is the newness of the road and vehicles. You might try to dirty up the gravel a little, letting grass encroach a little in places and muddy places where vehicles wander off the gravel, especially where vehicles park at the end of the drive. Also, dulling down the finish of the shiny vehicles with Dulcote or something; maybe others have better suggestions.

I enjoy watching you develop this scene as you've added buildings and details. I have trouble getting this far on my layout before moving on.

Mike

Edited by - Michael Hohn on 11/13/2016 10:32:14 AM

Page: of 7 Previous Topic: My Mechanical Adventures in HO Scale Motive Power Topic Next Topic: John Rahenkamps Clairmont, Lewiston & Western  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-19 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.72 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000