Railroad Line Forums - Maine Highlands
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 2 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 125 ]  [ Total: 127 ]  [ Newest Member: colind ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Mid Scale Model Railroad Forum
 Maine Highlands
Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Keystone Ho Shay Topic Next Topic: Port of Los Angeles Layout
Page: of 7

mainetrains
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 05/15/2016 :  4:15:44 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
After an ill-fated foray into N scale I have scrapped that venture (too little for my aging eyes) and begun construction of a new HO layout.

I believe the name of the railroad will be The Maine Highlands Railway, a descendant of the now defunct Hard Knox Valley Railroad. There will be a couple of slightly refurbished former HKV RR on the Maine Highlands as a salute to the fallen flag.

I have attached some photos of the blank slate which will be the new railroad.

The upper left part of this first picture will be the location of a small yard.

This center section is 4 feet wide - I am planning on using a view block to divide the left side (town area - about 3 feet wide) and the right side which will be a transition to a country type area.

Another view of the center section.

If you look closely at this picture you will see a drop-down section which will allow a longer continuous run.

I have a basic track plan to follow but as is usually the case it will probably change when I start laying track.

I would love some info on view blocks...how to make them and how to blend them into the railroad.

I will keep you posted as things develop.

Dave
"there's something happening here, what it is ain't exactly clear"

jbvb
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 05/15/2016 :  8:25:44 PM  Show Profile  Visit jbvb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
How to do a view block varies a lot with the layout's height and the eye level of the operators. Your table height looks to be around 40 inches? That will need 20-24" to bring the horizon up to most people's eye level. This is effectively a backdrop, and a good deal has been written about materials (styrene, hardboard, aluminum etc.), how to make rounded ends, or taper the ends down into a hill, building or whatever to hide them.

You might not want to go that high, maybe only high enough to hide the track and structures on the other side. Some people use a mix of tall structures, tall trees and medium size hills to do this. Others use a low divider made of hardboard as above.

Decorating either kind of flat scenic divider can be done by painting or as a collage of photographs. See this forums's 'Backdrops' thread for a lot of people's experiences: http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=3884

desertdrover
Engineer

Posted - 05/16/2016 :  11:18:01 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Dave, as you can see James gave a good detailed info on types of view blocks. It can be anything from a mountain, vehicle overpass, cut, valley, structure, tunnel or just something as simple as a group of trees. Here is a pretty good video of what view blocks can be; https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CcU50SlK8rc
The picture shows one continuous divider where the scenes on both sides are painted different to match the scene on both sides of the column.

Louis
Pacific Northwest Logging in the East Coast

Orionvp17
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 05/16/2016 :  12:16:48 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Dave,

You have some good advice here, to which I'll add that painting a Maine backdrop is not difficult, even if you're "not an artist." Forum member Chris Lyon (cnlvn) has a series of five videos up on YouTube (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wgInYtjXWvk) that go through an easy-to-replicate process that produces good results every time.

And do we once again need to keep an eye out for Preacher and Turtle, or are they still in Warren, or have they reformed?

Pete
in Michigan

Edited by - Orionvp17 on 05/16/2016 12:17:53 PM

k9wrangler
Engineer

Posted - 05/16/2016 :  2:01:53 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Orionvp17

Dave,
And do we once again need to keep an eye out for Preacher and Turtle, or are they still in Warren, or have they reformed?

Pete
in Michigan

Im not sure but I thought I saw them in the crowd, panhandling or pick pocketing, at a Bernie Sanders rally.

Karl Scribner
Sunfield Twp. Michigan
H.M.F.I.C
Kentucky Southern Railway
The Spartan Line

Edited by - k9wrangler on 05/16/2016 2:03:50 PM

mainetrains
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 05/16/2016 :  2:02:27 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the advice guys. I should have included some more information on the railroad. Like the table is 48" high. I had looked at the backdrops thread. I was hoping for a way to avoid going thru all 23 pages of the thread trying to find what I'm looking for and I think you guys might have helped.
Yes Pete, Preacher and Turtle are out and about. Last word was they are looking to find jobs with the yard crew. They must figure it will make it easier to hop a freight to new and excotic locations. Might soon be time to keep the women-folk in at night and your valuables locked away! That being said I would sure like to see if we can get the interchange program started up again this fall. I would even be willing to coordinate it if there is enough interest. Maybe 7 participants - that would take 6 months if I have figured correctly. I'll post something on the Interchange thread in a month or two - if not before.

Again, thanks for the advice.

Dave

mainetrains
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 05/16/2016 :  2:05:36 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by k9wrangler

quote:
Originally posted by Orionvp17

Dave,

Pete
in Michigan

Im not sure but I thought I saw them in the crowd, panhandling or pick pocketing, at a Bernie Sanders rally.

mainetrains
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 05/22/2016 :  1:54:19 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Been putting down some track to get an idea of what I want to do. There will be a small yard in the upper left hand corner.
Here's a picture of that area. The yard will be in the background part of the picture -

Here's a few more pictures -

I meant to get a picture of the section along the far wall but forgot to. It has the outline of a future stream/river that will be in that area. Maybe I'll get one later.

Finally I spent some time yesterday making some supertrees. As we all know you can never have enough trees!

Love those supertrees!

More supplies due tomorrow from the USPS so I'll
have another progress report for you next weekend.

As always, all comments and suggestions are welcome.

Dave

mainetrains
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 05/29/2016 :  09:35:41 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Everyone,

Got the basic track arrangement fleshed out. Still have to incorporate the changes in elevation and swap out sectional track for flex track. In the following pictures you can get an idea of the basic track plan. The two bridges will cross the proposed stream/river bend.
Here are the pictures -

Got some more goodies in the mail yesterday - roadbed, risers and more - so I will have a busy week or two. More pictures as progress warrants them.

As always, all comments and suggestions welcome.

Dave

mainetrains
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 06/04/2016 :  12:48:05 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
A little progress this week. Started putting down roadbed and began the river area. Decided it would be a river, or at least a portion of one.
Also got a couple of box cars. Purchased a couple of Wabash 40 footers in memory of my Dad. He grew up in Indiana and hooked me on model trains when I was a little kid. My river will be part of the Maumee for my Mom who was from Grand Rapids, Ohio and lived on the banks of the Maumee. So what if my fictional railroad is set in northern Maine. Poetic or I guess artistic license lets us do most anything.

Some pictures -

The last two are the beginning of the river area.

That's all until next time.

Dave

k9wrangler
Engineer

Posted - 06/04/2016 :  6:35:19 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

Karl Scribner
Sunfield Twp. Michigan
H.M.F.I.C
Kentucky Southern Railway
The Spartan Line

Orionvp17
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 06/04/2016 :  7:22:07 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Looking good, Dave! And Honoring your Mom and Dad in the process is just plain cool. Rule One applies.

Pete
in Michigan

quartergauger48
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 06/04/2016 :  8:54:31 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Looks like a very nice layout coming to life'.
And Pete, those Chris Lyon's, u tube videos are very good, very good'..

Orionvp17
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 06/05/2016 :  10:00:32 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by quartergauger48
[br
And Pete, those Chris Lyon's, u tube videos are very good, very good'..

They are indeed. Chris gets the credit; I'm just the messenger.

Pete
in Michigan

mainetrains
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 06/12/2016 :  10:00:04 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Another week gone by with another update for you.

I've just about finished getting the roadbed in place but I figure pictures of track on roadbed gets boring after a while so no pictures of that.

I do have some pictures of the river for you however - I've got the riverbed painted it's base color. I used Woodland Scenics water undercoat. I will be using WS realistic water to make the water after I add details to the river. Got some stones out of the driveway and I've got canoeists and boaters to add in and whatever else strikes my fancy. I've used Realistic Water before and liked the results.

Finally I received my first kit this week. Campbell Scale Models Campbell Suppy Company. This will be the 3rd time I have built this particular kit. I really, really like it.

As always, any comments or suggestions are welcome.

Dave

mainetrains
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 06/25/2016 :  2:04:18 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Look who I found while scrounging around the other day -

Yes indeed, none other than the infamous Turtle & Preacher eagerly awaiting their next grand adventure with their pet black bear - Yogi. Hide the women folk!!

Here's a couple of pictures of the river taking shape -

As always any comments and suggestions are welcome.

Dave

Page: of 7 Previous Topic: Keystone Ho Shay Topic Next Topic: Port of Los Angeles Layout  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-19 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.64 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000