Railroad Line Forums - Jordan Highway Miniatures closed,end of an era...
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 2 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 69 ]  [ Total: 71 ]  [ Newest Member: Deano ]
 All Forums
 General Forums
 The Crew Lounge
 Jordan Highway Miniatures closed,end of an era...
Previous Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Latest video - Update#11 Starting our river scene Topic Next Topic: Monday happy spring lounge
Page: of 2

CVSNE
Crew Chief

Posted - 04/27/2016 :  2:45:27 PM  Show Profile  Visit CVSNE's Homepage  Send CVSNE a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Hope some way is found to continue these kits - they're a lot of fun and a great value.
Seems kind of odd that he didn't want to sell the main asset of any injection molded plastic business - the molds - to someone else IF his goal was to distribute the assets to the family.

Maybe the model car line was only a small part of his main business?

Marty McGuirk
Manassas, VA
www.centralvermontrailway.blogspot.com

Marken
Fireman

Posted - 04/28/2016 :  5:19:20 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This is sad news. What a void this creates in our hobby.

My brother in-law and his family was here over the holidays. He owns a small plastics business in Milwaukee. Couple of extruders and 6 injection molding machines. Produces parts for the medical industry.

He was facinated when I showed him one of the Jordan kits. Amazed at the details of such a small kit.

I phoned him after I read about Mr Jackson's passing and then sent him the link to his obit.
He was going to try and get in touch with the family and see if the molds could possibly be purchased.

I have a feeling some other businesses have already done the same. I'll let you know when I hear something. One never knows.

In memory of Mike Chambers

NP2626
Engine Wiper

Posted - 04/29/2016 :  06:26:07 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
His will seems to have been ill advised to me. A company which succeeds at it's business should be continued. The sale of a going concern as a whole has value far exceeding it's individual assets.

railman28
Fireman

Posted - 04/29/2016 :  10:42:03 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Give them time to morn. They'll realize that the value of the estate in the molds and machinery and will want to convert that into cash.

It's Only Make Believe

Bob Harris

Craig H
Fireman

Posted - 04/30/2016 :  05:39:35 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
What a shame

Jeff G
Engine Wiper

Posted - 04/30/2016 :  3:00:28 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
As Marken states above, it definitely creates a void within our hobby. But it also creates an opportunity. Naturally, the costs of designing and then making dies for a comprehensive line of period vehicles gets well into the 6 figure range. That said, with the current state of the art in accessible 3-D printing and CAD, as well as relatively low cost injection molding companies that can accommodate short- or limited run production, it might be economically feasible for perhaps someone out there who might take the plunge and launch a new product line? Wish I could do it.

Edited by - Jeff G on 04/30/2016 3:04:06 PM

Shady Pine
New Hire

Posted - 01/12/2017 :  07:35:46 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I had been hoarding these for about the last eight years, I don't know why. I had written Mr. Jackson several times for extra parts and to buy many extras of the clear lanterns and lamps to light with fiber optic. I used to just send him a blank check with my orders and he always sent along something extra. I also ordered a hundred of the model A wheels to fix up the sketchy Athearn Model As I can't stop buying up. He'd give me nice deals on sprues and extras.

I asked about pricing on several of the Ford Model A & T variants and at the price he offered I decided to start buying them ten and twenty at a time. I have over 120 of the damned things, only about 15 built and lit. (The Broughams charm your socks off with the little lanterns lit and brass handles where the plastic ones came.)

Alas when I heard the news I did the same as when Dennis Aust quit and bought one of everything for future mold making for personal use. I hate to say it seems like the hobby may be changing or dying off.. but when you find the "perfect" items and they go OOP.. what else can you do?

Thru the rumor mill I have heard that the molds are intact, together and the family has some offers on the table. Let's keep our fingers crossed, because the only use I have for the Athearn Model As is stealing the chrome radiators< everything else top to bottom is pretty much bondo-burger junk.

Fingers crossed!

Edited by - Shady Pine on 01/12/2017 07:40:49 AM

Chester
Fireman

Posted - 03/20/2017 :  10:12:06 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sad indeed, the loss of such a wonderful craftsman compounded by the fact that all of his efforts will no longer be available. A distasteful legacy if you ask me.

http://modelingin1-87.blogspot.com/

Chester
Fireman

Posted - 03/20/2017 :  11:17:07 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have included a little blurb on my blog here regarding the loss of Jordan pieces. http://modelingin1-87.blogspot.com/2017/03/no-more-jordans.html

http://modelingin1-87.blogspot.com/

jeyjey
Engine Wiper

Posted - 03/20/2017 :  1:40:57 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Nice blog entry, Chester.

One of my favourite Jordans was their Essex coach:

Cheers,
Jeff.

Modelling the D&RGW and C&S in HOn3.

Page: of 2 Previous Topic: Latest video - Update#11 Starting our river scene Topic Next Topic: Monday happy spring lounge  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-17 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.73 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000