Railroad Line Forums - The Town
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 1 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 99 ]  [ Total: 100 ]  [ Newest Member: bogeycat99 ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Micro & Mini Layouts
 The Town
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: The Depot (at Carendt) Topic Next Topic: a little touch of spring
Page: of 19

Bill Gill
Fireman

Posted - 07/25/2016 :  06:36:45 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Nice start. This will be fun to watch.

Tyson Rayles

Premium Member

Posted - 07/25/2016 :  08:08:42 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Great start!

Mike

robchant
Crew Chief

Posted - 07/25/2016 :  6:23:38 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Wow ... you made a lot of progress since the last time I checked in ... nice to see the benckwork started.

Free Layout Design Help / Some Design Ideas (All Scales)

kumard
Engine Wiper

Posted - 07/31/2016 :  11:50:01 PM  Show Profile  Visit kumard's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hi all.

Nearly finished with the baseboard on the Town.

I spent today building the backdrop. Here are the sketches I used to plan and build the whole unit. I made slight changes to the central lighting beam.

Here's how I put the backdrop together:

Using SketchUp I was able to make a list of components with sizes. I just went and cut the whole lot in one go:

Since the backdrop sits upon the base I decided to use dowels to hold it in place. I'll use pull-tight clips to further secure it.

Here's the basic frame before I added the backdrop and sides.

And here's the frame and backdrop added.

The backdrop has been built for easy removal and will be stored while I build the layout.

I still have to add the cardboard backing for the photo backdrop and the skirts around the lower section. I'll get to those items next.

Thanks all.

http://thedepotonline.com/

Edited by - kumard on 07/31/2016 11:52:10 PM

Tyson Rayles

Premium Member

Posted - 08/01/2016 :  07:04:39 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

Mike

George D

Premium Member

Posted - 08/01/2016 :  08:21:56 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Nice neat work, Kumard.

George

Frank Palmer
Fireman

Posted - 08/01/2016 :  09:37:31 AM  Show Profile  Visit Frank Palmer's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I kinda like your "shadow box" approach to action dioramas. The front edge drop-cut-outs are pretty handy also. They give you a place to set your coffee cup for those long sessions.

Edited by - Frank Palmer on 08/01/2016 09:39:30 AM

kumard
Engine Wiper

Posted - 08/01/2016 :  3:30:09 PM  Show Profile  Visit kumard's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thanks all. More next week.

Frank >> I kinda like your "shadow box" approach to action dioramas. >> Yes, it's a nice way to present a small layout.

Edited by - kumard on 08/01/2016 3:31:06 PM

kumard
Engine Wiper

Posted - 08/14/2016 :  11:29:58 PM  Show Profile  Visit kumard's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hi everyone.

Just a quick update. I finished the benchwork and I'm now ready to start tracklaying.

Here's the finished article. I have to make minor adjustments here and there but I have to wait for the whole unit to dry before doing any more work. It's going to take about a week for the varnish and stain to really dry out.

Here's a quick animation showing the final steps to complete the unit:

And here's the final unit. It's still wet and will take about a week to fully dry.

I'm going to add a cork base and exit points next week.

So next on my list is to redraw the track plan. I've decided to use Templot (http://www.templot.com/). After looking over all the other software programs available I still think that nothing beats it for handlaid track planning and drawings. It seems at first glance to have quite a steep learning curve but I'm going to study it each night this week and see if I can produce something workable by the weekend.

The other items on my list are to create a way of laying track without using either pins or copper plated ties. I'm ordering supplies this week. I hope to start track laying within two weeks.

Thanks all. More next week.

Edited by - kumard on 08/14/2016 11:44:02 PM

George D

Premium Member

Posted - 08/15/2016 :  08:24:35 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Beautiful work on the diorama frame.

Good luck with Templot. It looks like an excellent track planning tool if you're going to hand lay track, but I just couldn't make it up that steep learning curve.

George

kumard
Engine Wiper

Posted - 08/15/2016 :  3:31:59 PM  Show Profile  Visit kumard's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thanks George.

I started Templot this morning and immediately got a handle on it.

My job entails learning software regularly so I have a standard approach to doing it. What is crucial is that I throw myself into it completely for just a short period of time. For a week I read and watch videos and then practice little by little. At some point it all starts to fall into place. The excitement builds when I start to be able to do things that I couldn't do before and a world of new possibilities opens up before me. Of course until I reach that point learning software feels like wading through treacle and sometimes I'll just give up and forget about the whole thing (unless it's for work). I don't want to give up so easily this time. This is my third attempt at learning Templot over the years but the difference this time is that I feel I don't have a choice - I can't do the track laying without it. So let's see where I am at the end of the week.

I'll post some drawings as soon as I feel I have something worthwhile to show.

This is a piece of custom built track by Tim Warris (the owner of Fast Tracks). I would really like to produce something as good as this. I took this picture from his website (http://www.bronx-terminal.com/) where he describes how he constructed it. He has a whole bunch of hardware and software tools to help him - not all of which I have access to myself but I'm sure I can adapt some of his ideas.

Edited by - kumard on 08/15/2016 8:15:11 PM

jbvb
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 08/15/2016 :  9:33:43 PM  Show Profile  Visit jbvb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
That's a very nice piece of trackwork that Tim did, but it won't be as pretty once the necessary gaps are cut.

Frank Palmer
Fireman

Posted - 08/16/2016 :  09:26:18 AM  Show Profile  Visit Frank Palmer's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I've been following him for some time ever since I got hooked on boxcabs.

kumard
Engine Wiper

Posted - 08/16/2016 :  11:21:17 AM  Show Profile  Visit kumard's Homepage  Reply with Quote
James >> That's a very nice piece of trackwork that Tim did, but it won't be as pretty once the necessary gaps are cut. >> James, wiring and powering this crossing must have been really challenging - the cuts he would have had to have made would have affected its final appearance. I would very much like to know how it turned out. The blog stops and I don't know where he is in the process of finishing it. I have a few books on NY freight terminals in Brooklyn and the Bronx so I have a great interest in this project regardless of track.

Frank >> I've been following him for some time ever since I got hooked on boxcabs. >> Frank I've been following your boxcab project as well. Very nice work as usual. I look forward to tackling my own boxcab project for this layout.

More next weekend. I'm still learning Templot. Lesson number two today - still bemused but making a little progress as well: http://www.templot.com/martweb/tutorials.htm

Edited by - kumard on 08/16/2016 9:28:51 PM

kumard
Engine Wiper

Posted - 08/27/2016 :  11:29:21 PM  Show Profile  Visit kumard's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hi all.

I've been spending the last couple of weeks working on The Town's baseboard. I needed to wait a week before the stain had really dried before continuing. I added a layer of polyurethane varnish to protect the wood and tidied up the backdrop. I'm also in the middle of learning Templot. It is actually going really well (1 lesson every two days) but I have nothing yet to show. The only thing I can say so far is that I'm definitely getting to grips with it and hope to produce the plan soon.

I varnished the woodwork. It took about a week for the whole thing to really dry hard.

In the meantime I decided to get some of the wiring and lighting done on the board. The time to do the power and lighting is now (as I learned from The Depot) as there is no model yet to worry about. I wanted to do three things:
1. Fit the lighting
2. Build the housing for the power controller
3. Build the empty housing for the turnout toggle switches.

I started with the lighting. Here are the drawings:

This was the very first time I have messed around with mains (AC) electricity and I maintained a healthy fear of it while working on this project. In one instance I set the dials of my power meter/reader wrong and then put the pins onto the powered wires. I was rewarded with a very loud bang! This kind of thing kept me on my toes throughout. Nevertheless, once precautions were taken (i.e. just unplug from the mains), I found it quite easy to work with. 'Power-in' was the black wire, 'power-out' was the white wire and green was the ground - simple stuff.

The hardest part of this project was deciding where to house the on-off toggle switches for the lights. After finishing this project I realized that I could have used simple tiny AC toggle switches, but as I am a complete novice I decided to play it safe and just use regular household light switches. These as we know are fine for fitting on the wall but on the layout they ended up being quite conspicuous. I built a box to house them and fixed it to the board. Ideally I would have liked to embed them in the board but the internal structure just doesn't allow it and it would have meant cutting into the structural beams.

I found the cover at Home Depot along with a couple of light switches.

And then I built my own housing which I stained and varnished.

Since this was my first time working with AC and all these devices I decided to string together a test just to make sure that theory translated to practice. It worked just fine.

On the side I added a power input which feeds power to the two light switches embedded in the light switch box. I may also have it power the controller and the DC converter for the 12 volt DC system but let's see. It's easy enough to add a second input if necessary.

On the inside I ran the cables along the sides to two plug sockets at the back.

I ran power to the lights from the back from these two plugs. They can be detached when I need to remove the backdrop. At the top I used terminal blocks to get power to the individual lights.

There are two sets of lights. Fluorescent lights which provide a consistent overall cast and spotlights which focus a warm light on specific areas. The spotlights have their own dimmer.

Anyhow it is finished and seems to be working fine. Unlike The Depot where there are numerous dark spots, the florescent lights stretch the whole length and provide a very even cast across the base.

Thanks all. Next up this week is the power controller housing.

Edited by - kumard on 08/28/2016 2:58:50 PM

Page: of 19 Previous Topic: The Depot (at Carendt) Topic Next Topic: a little touch of spring  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-17 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.72 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000