Railroad Line Forums - The Town
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 8 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 86 ]  [ Total: 94 ]  [ Newest Member: Davidsamuels ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Micro & Mini Layouts
 The Town
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: a spring morning in germany Topic Next Topic: The Depot (at Carendt)
Page: of 15

robchant
Crew Chief

Posted - 04/21/2016 :  5:00:47 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Bob,

No, they're not images. They are structures, rolling stock, motive power, etc. all drawn with 3rd PlanIt. I have also learned that if these drawings are exported out of the software, they lose a lot of detail.

Take care,
Rob.

Rob Chant
Glace Bay, NS
CANADA

TREAD: http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=42599

Edited by - robchant on 04/21/2016 5:02:29 PM

scott robertson
Crew Chief

Posted - 04/22/2016 :  09:37:59 AM  Show Profile  Visit scott robertson's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I know what you mean about how you can spend to much time sketching and not getting to the modeling. See link below to a page in my thread (scroll down a little once you get there). I have also used Sketchup to explore ideas for a new set of on30 modules I am planning. It actually became a bit of a self challenge to see how much component information I could find via Sketchup Warehouse versus drawing it my self. I also used the styles menu to create a hand drawn look. I have the Pro version that provides a few more bells and whistles. I liked being able to explore view angles and consider how details would be viewed Or not. I like where you are going with your design.

http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=27326&whichpage=89

kumard
Engine Wiper

Posted - 04/22/2016 :  11:46:10 AM  Show Profile  Visit kumard's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Rob,

I don't think SketchUp should be used to design layouts. I've played around with CADRAIL and 3rd Planit and I think they are much better tools for that task. However for building/structure design I think SketchUp is the way to go. I've gone much further than I wanted to in SketchUp by adding track work baseboard and backdrop but in the end I am really using it to design the buildings.

You have mentioned before that you thought something was lacking in the design of the module, and I was hoping you had figured that out by now. >> Seeing it in 3D has helped me see some problems. However better to catch the problems now rather than in four months time after hours of modelling. I'm going to stay on course though. There won't be any changes to the plan.

However overall, I need to bring this planning stage to an end and with The Depot control panel nearly done my workbench will be clear next week. I'm going to start with the benchwork in the next couple of weeks. I'll keep designing the buildings in SketchUp and post the final results once I'm done. The buildings can be started at anytime so I'll start with either the station or the carbarn within the next four weeks. I also want to build a bunch of trackwork demos. I want to design a new way of hand-laying track that deals with the trackwork issues I had in The Depot. More on that next week.

Edited by - kumard on 04/22/2016 11:57:53 AM

kumard
Engine Wiper

Posted - 04/22/2016 :  11:56:49 AM  Show Profile  Visit kumard's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Scott >> I have also used Sketchup to explore ideas for a new set of on30 modules I am planning. >> Wow Scott. It's amazing what you've done in SketchUp.

It's nice to see what is possible with that tool. I'm modeling a flat space whereas you've really taken full advantage of the tool for landscaping. How did you do the track? That's the real challenge for me.

Edited by - kumard on 04/22/2016 11:58:39 AM

scott robertson
Crew Chief

Posted - 04/22/2016 :  5:05:19 PM  Show Profile  Visit scott robertson's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I found HO scale track in various radius', turnouts and straight sections at Sketchup warehouse. Once there just search for Ho scale trains, or track or whatever, you will eventually find it.

kumard
Engine Wiper

Posted - 04/22/2016 :  5:22:45 PM  Show Profile  Visit kumard's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Ah of course. I've downloaded some doors and window from the 3D warehouse but I'll take a closer look at it the over the weekend.

kumard
Engine Wiper

Posted - 05/13/2016 :  11:24:23 PM  Show Profile  Visit kumard's Homepage  Reply with Quote
So I have not been posting much but I have been working away at various hobby tasks behind the scenes. One of the tasks I had was to design a station and depot building for The Town layout. I've completed a first pass and still have to add some details but I'm basically happy with the result. I wanted to at least get one of the buildings designed before starting the layout. I would like to start with the bench work next week if possible.

Using SketchUp I based the design found in my various sources such as Morning Sun color guides, postcards found online and some other sources. I'll mention them again in a moment. The goal was to design a building that:

1. Reflected the joint usage of the traction system and the Soo branch line.
2. Had a few interesting shapes which would be a simple challenge for me to build.
3. Should be simple enough to construct considering my lack of experience scratch-building structures.
4. Should be buildable within a reasonable time frame considering I only get four hours on the weekends for the hobby.

I could have made the design much more interesting and complex - especially after posting pictures of really nice looking depots but I had to settle for few basic shapes and arrangements of buildings.

I still have to add some more details but in the meantime here are a couple of views of the overall station:

The station comprises of three main buildings:
1. The passenger station
2. The freight building
3. The freight store and transfer building

The passenger station was based on a photo I found in one of my books on Ontario traction: Ontario's Grand River Valley Electric Railways. It's not a well written book and is actually quite a boring read but does have a fantastic set of photos of stations and infrastructure. Once of the stations - Hespeler - caught my eye, especially that curved canopy roof. Here's a picture I found online http://www.canada-rail.com/galleries/ontario/hespeler5.jpg - I have better pictures but I can't show them here. The rest of the details just came from an assortment of pictures and sources and I still have to add chimneys and drains and gutters but you get the overall picture:

Here are few closeups:

The freight house is just a basic square - nothing fancy. I've been very inspired by the photos and postcards of some very ornate buildings and want to tackle something much more complicated and attractive at a later date but for the moment keeping in mind time and skills I just opted for a simple structure. The freight transfer shed concept is taken from another station: Bolivar - a Frisco station in Missouri. It allowed me to add an interesting structure to a somewhat boring end of the station.

Just to see how this fits the space I placed the set of buildings on the main layout plan. I have to make adjustments here and there but in the end I think it looks good enough and I'm pleased with the result.

Edited by - kumard on 05/14/2016 12:12:34 AM

Tyson Rayles

Premium Member

Posted - 05/14/2016 :  07:44:34 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Nice drawings.

Mike

Frank Palmer
Fireman

Posted - 05/14/2016 :  09:12:04 AM  Show Profile  Visit Frank Palmer's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Kumar, you are really getting into this 3-D drawing stuff. What’s with the low-rider”, it looks like it’s straight out of LA. Ha-ha. Yes I’ll say you’re going to have to make some adjustments with the track to squeeze it all in. But the station looks fantastic, try not to chip away there. I think you need to weed out some of the trackage, remember “less is more”.

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 05/14/2016 :  09:40:11 AM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Kumar,

That's a nice looking depot. You've put an impressive amount of thought into your drawing.

Have you shortened the track near the back with the switchback? Looks like a locomotive will need to enter the building if it's going to set out a car on the back-most track. Or is it just the perspective?

Mike

robchant
Crew Chief

Posted - 05/14/2016 :  1:22:03 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The station looks great and the town is coming together very nicely ... it all seems to fit so well and has a nice feel to it.

Rob Chant
Glace Bay, NS
CANADA

TREAD: http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=42599

kumard
Engine Wiper

Posted - 05/14/2016 :  6:14:09 PM  Show Profile  Visit kumard's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thanks all. This is just a first pass. I would like to add more brick patterns to brighten up the buildings. I have limited brick colors for the rendering and the ones I've chosen look a bit grim but things will definitely look better once I start modelling.

Frank I think you need to weed out some of the trackage, remember “less is more”. >> Yes I may have to lose the track at the back. The SketchUp track plan is not quite the same as the full scale drawing and things have got a bit skewed. I'll make a carboard version of the buildings and add them to the full scale drawing. Let's see how that works out first before I make any changes.

Michael Have you shortened the track near the back with the switchback? Looks like a locomotive will need to enter the building if it's going to set out a car on the back-most track. Or is it just the perspective? >> No you are right. I actually measured the platform from the full scale pencil-drawn plan. However the sketchup version is not quite the same and things have moved around a bit. I'm going to create a cardboard version of the buildings and add them to the drawing. I can adjust track to make it all fit.

kumard
Engine Wiper

Posted - 06/13/2016 :  02:23:07 AM  Show Profile  Visit kumard's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Just a quick update. I've been very busy finishing off details on The Depot and have not had time to finish the planning on The Town. However I intend to start the benchwork on the Town very soon. I needed to finish the cassette design and construction before starting the Town. The two layouts are going to be connected via the cassette system.

In the meantime I've been thinking about the housing system for the modules. Here's a sketch of one idea for the housing unit:

I need to figure out some of the details concerning the backdrops and the cassette storage. So far I'm thinking that the backdrops will be attached to housing unit and the layouts will just slide in and out on their own shelf supports. The cassettes will be moved manually between modules and will be stored in a pull-out drawer at the bottom of the housing unit.

I'll play around with these ideas this week and will post something as soon I have a drawing done in Sketchup.

Edited by - kumard on 06/13/2016 02:27:41 AM

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 06/13/2016 :  08:17:44 AM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Interested in seeing this progress.

Mike

kumard
Engine Wiper

Posted - 06/18/2016 :  3:30:14 PM  Show Profile  Visit kumard's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hi all,

Just a quick post showing some design work for the cabinet that is going to house the three modules. This is a rough sketch and I'll refine it over the coming few weeks. Once again I turned to Sketchup to help me work out the design and catch problems early on.

Here is the general start to the concept:

This is how the cassette will join the layout:

That's all for the moment. I'll continue refining this design over the next couple of weeks.

Thanks all!!

Edited by - kumard on 06/18/2016 3:31:25 PM

Page: of 15 Previous Topic: a spring morning in germany Topic Next Topic: The Depot (at Carendt)  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-14 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.44 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000