Railroad Line Forums - The Town
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 1 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 94 ]  [ Total: 95 ]  [ Newest Member: PMStrains ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Micro & Mini Layouts
 The Town
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Topic Next Topic: Original Kittom Lumber Company. Volume II
Page: of 18

kumard
Engine Wiper

Posted - 03/30/2016 :  8:26:19 PM  Show Profile  Visit kumard's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Dallas >> Are you sure you want the roof of the car shop draining into the back of the office building? >> Only blues skies my in world Dallas!! Actually I've been wondering what to do with that whole space above the dispatch office. I think I'll keep the flat roof and concrete finish on the but might add something on top of its roof such as a generator or water tank or something. Not sure what yet. The adjoining brick wall will have some windows and the roof ends of the car barn will have some drains. I'll add more details to the drawing of the car barn in the next few weeks.

http://thedepotonline.com/

Edited by - kumard on 03/30/2016 10:34:37 PM

kumard
Engine Wiper

Posted - 04/02/2016 :  12:53:27 PM  Show Profile  Visit kumard's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Today I'm working on the designs for the station/depot (and a control panel for The Depot) but just before that I wanted to post some pictures that I'm using as research for the car barn. Before I actually start building the barn in model form I want to rework the design of the barn in SketchUp. Any kind of planning that can be done before actually starting the building saves me time later. I can spot problems beforehand and also play around with different ideas. The general approach right now is to find architectural details and other information that I can add to my SketchUp drawing. I'll try to add them this weekend if I have time but it maybe not till next weekend that I get round to it.

As you may have figured (and as I am now finding out) car barns come in all shapes and sizes. I spent some time studying old postcards and trying to decide what details I would like for my own barn. I highlighted some details on these images:

The details I want to model are (feel free to post to me the correct names for these things):
1. A brick building
2. Tall oval doorways with matching doors
3. An ornate brick frontage
4. Oval side windows

How about something like this?

I could send Shapeways (http://www.shapeways.com/) some of the more challenging features to print for me such as the ornate window frames or that complex brick pattern top or even the car barn doors, so that they exactly fit the doorways.

The other part of the building I would like to model is the interior, in particular the roof beams and the various tools and equipment of a typical electric traction barn. I found some postcards showing interiors such as these:

Here's a good picture of a car barn roof. I can model this beam design in SketchUp first before starting its construction.

So I will continue to find examples of building and features that I can use. This kind of research is very easy and alot of fun. I have a ton of books and there are all sorts of resources online to turn to.

Edited by - kumard on 04/02/2016 12:59:05 PM

kumard
Engine Wiper

Posted - 04/18/2016 :  01:14:58 AM  Show Profile  Visit kumard's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hi all.

I've been busy behind the scenes building a new control panel for The Depot and that has been taking up much of my planning time for The Town. I'm very close to finishing that other project and will post the results hopefully by the end of this week.

This weekend I started working on the designs for The Town station and depot. I'm now only working in SketchUp Pro and I am making rapid progress in getting to grips with the software. I will have to revert to the free version tomorrow but I won't lose any of the tools I need since they are available on the free (SketchUp Make) version.

I started by gathering pictures of both railroad and trolley car stations. I want my station to reflect this joint use and the mix of buildings should look as if they were built by two different companies. I have a bunch of pictures in my Morning Sun books but I also have a some copyright-free postcards to work from. Here are some of the postcards I am using to pluck out interesting features:

I really the mix of roof angles that ease as they descend. I'm yet sure how to do in SketchUp but I'm also not sure if there is place for that kind of roof. I also like the passenger waiting area and the columns that hold up the roof in this area.

This collection of roofs is definitely interesting. To recreate something like this would be great but I'm limited here by my modelling skills, SketchUp skills, and time. However I would like to add a curved part of a building plus that turret thingy (what is that round thing called?).

In this picture I like the extended roof over the passenger area and will definitely try to model that.

This picture best captures what I am aiming for. My version would be a lot simpler and a would have a different arrangement of buildings and roofs.

The overall concept behind the station is that the trolley company was there first. For a few years the town was cut off from any the main railroad network. I have decided to add a canal (connected to a Mississippi tributary - I'll need to take a closer look a the geography) and dockside in front of the station which is where the trolley company originally transferred freight and passengers. Then the branch line arrived at the town at the turn of the century and added their utilitarian building to the more dainty trolley company passenger buildings. Both sets of buildings would have gone through past rebuilds to reflect the early prosperity of both companies.

So here is my first SketchUp attempt done on Friday evening. On Saturday evening I watched a video on how to create building with 6" thick walls. It has made drawing alot easier and will be important when I take measurements for the model versions of these structures. On Sunday I rebuilt the first building with my new wall-making skills.

After taking quick measurements from the full-size drawing I sketched with pencil a quick starting diagram. I may go in several directions once I'm working in SketchUp but I have found that a hand-drawn diagram is a good way to get started.

Then I switched to SketchUp and laid out the platform area and some outline buildings.

I added more shapes that I thought were interesting. I added some color and then I started adding features such as the curved roof extension around the round building extension. I also spent time learning how to do complex shapes and create the features I wanted.

Here is the concept so far.

After figuring how to create thick walls I started making a more detailed drawing of the branch line station building. I'm still very much restricted by my limited skills. The result so far is a little boring but the more I practice the more able I will become to add much more interesting details. Therefore there will be plenty more to come.

Edited by - kumard on 04/18/2016 02:53:06 AM

Frank Palmer
Fireman

Posted - 04/18/2016 :  09:18:39 AM  Show Profile  Visit Frank Palmer's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Man, you're really getting into sketchup.

robchant
Crew Chief

Posted - 04/18/2016 :  3:13:33 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Kumar, very nice roof lines. Depending on the final design you choose, the rounded roof could be a "Domed Turret", "Bell Roof", or "Conical/Cone Roof". A few years ago, I remember seeing a modular roofing system that allowed a modeler to build this type of roof. (I think it was used for architect models). IIRC, it was almost like logo blocks that stacked on top of one another until the desired height was achieved. I'm not sure if that system is still around, but maybe someone can give you a lead. Take care, Rob.

kumard
Engine Wiper

Posted - 04/18/2016 :  9:46:45 PM  Show Profile  Visit kumard's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Frank >> Man, you're really getting into sketchup. >> Yes making rapid progress. I'm reluctant to start on the 'final version' of the station because every time I learn something new in SketchUp I'm suddenly able to add a new cool feature to the drawing.

Rob >> Roofs >> If the roof ends up being quite complex I may have the basic shape printed out for me by Shapeways. I can then manually add tiles on top of that surface. However thanks for the tip about the modular roofing system. I'll be looking at all options when it comes to building the roof- I've added that one to my list.

Another sketch of the possible station - I'm going to play around with this concept this evening:

I have also figured out how to make canopies. These are some test examples. Now I just need to work out how to apply these to the station buildings.

Edited by - kumard on 04/18/2016 11:30:38 PM

kumard
Engine Wiper

Posted - 04/20/2016 :  02:48:22 AM  Show Profile  Visit kumard's Homepage  Reply with Quote
While playing around with more SketchUp tools and practicing shapes etc I suddenly had an 'aha!' moment and figured out how to trace the the right of way on my drawing. I managed to do this version in about 40 mins. It means I can now discard the full-size drawing and replace it with a fully digitized version. It's not entirely accurate since the original drawing was just an iPhone snap but it gives me a good foundation to continue planning the rest of the model.

Here are some pics:

I raised the trackbed 6" from the ground. The track at this point would probably be level with the ground but raising it marks out the space more clearly. I may make it level with the ground later and add rails. Btw, the right-of-way area represents the length of the ties, not the distance between rails.

I was able to discard the crude drawing. The trackbed looks much better.

I could get a more accurate digital copy of my drawing imported and traced over but since I can now make changes to the plan in SketchUp I probably won't need to import another drawing.

A view of the car barn from the soon-to-be station platform.

Overall things are moving in the right direction. I'm looking forward to adding the station area.

Edited by - kumard on 04/20/2016 12:23:59 PM

robchant
Crew Chief

Posted - 04/20/2016 :  11:18:12 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Kumar,

Glad you were able to finally figure out something for getting a mock-up of the track into SketchUp. Even without tie or rail detail, it makes it very easy to visualize what you have plan. The flowing track work looks great.

Take care,
Rob.

kumard
Engine Wiper

Posted - 04/20/2016 :  1:55:20 PM  Show Profile  Visit kumard's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thanks Rob.

In fact even after posting those images I found a couple of other much easier and accurate ways of creating paths/tracks etc. I'll eventually be able to the get the drawing of the trackwork looking very much like the real thing. I'll come back to the track at a later date since I just need the right-of-way as a guide to help me design the buildings.

robchant
Crew Chief

Posted - 04/20/2016 :  2:19:42 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Kumar,

Wow ... even better! I'm very impressed with how far you have come with your 3D modeling skills after only a few hours. The one thing I really like in SketchUp is the antialiasing feature, which my 3rd PlanIt program doesn't include. Lines rendered in 3PI are jagged, which has always bothered me as a graphic geek. I can't wait to see how you tackle adding the tie detail, it might convince me to download SketchUp and give it a try.

Take care,
Rob.

kumard
Engine Wiper

Posted - 04/21/2016 :  12:52:32 AM  Show Profile  Visit kumard's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Rob,

I think practice makes perfect. My drawing skills have always been a drawback when planning so it has been really liberating learning this tool. The possibilities seem endless and I'm wildly excited by it all. I've been watching pro SketchUp artists on YouTube (https://youtu.be/ZtYgsg3iFho) and all I have to say is Wow! They create whole worlds in great detail. The final rendering is pretty good but there are a bunch of programs and plugins that will finish your design off with an even nicer finish. I'll take a look at those another time.

I played around with adding more elements to the model to get a feel of where we are heading. It's just a crude outline for now and has all sorts of lines that need tidying up etc.

I realized that I'm a bit bored of the design as it stands but I can't tell exactly why. The curves in the rails help make a traditional track layout a bit more interesting but after that I'm not sure if I like where this is heading. However it's probably too early to tell. I really need to really do a better job on the buildings and adjust the track a bit before making any big changes.

Here are the crude buildings I added to the back. The key to making them sit comfortably in the space is just variety. Have a series of very different looking buildings stand next to each other. Also I need a backdrop - the layout looks claustrophobic with a plain back. I may start working on that next week. It will be a collage (created in Photoshop) of Midwestern roofscapes, with aerials, signs and water towers etc. That will help set the scene.

Also I have to decide what kind of town is it big, medium, small - and how built up. I like town station areas that are surround by trees and certain amount of open space. I don't want to overdo the buildings. I'll probably go back to your plan and incorporate some of your ideas which have that nice balance of buildings and greenery.

Here are some pictures. I'm focused on The Depot control panel for the next week so I'll come back to this planning in the near future.

I added a backdrop and some rear buildings. It made the scene quite claustrophobic.

It going to be interesting to see how the station fits into this scene.

A backdrop photo and better looking buildings will help the look and feel. That archway belongs to the traction company.

That's it for now. I'm going to take a break from SketchUp but as soon as I am happy with the station building design I'll post more images.

Edited by - kumard on 04/21/2016 12:56:20 AM

Frank Palmer
Fireman

Posted - 04/21/2016 :  10:20:18 AM  Show Profile  Visit Frank Palmer's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Kumar you're spending way too much time with Sketchup and not enough time building.

kumard
Engine Wiper

Posted - 04/21/2016 :  3:33:23 PM  Show Profile  Visit kumard's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Kumar you're spending way too much time with Sketchup and not enough time building. >> I hear you. I'm itching to start too and I think I have enough to get started (maybe the car barn?). I can keep planning while building. As soon as my work area is clear (currently occupied by The Depot) I'll start with the baseboard.

Edited by - kumard on 04/21/2016 3:34:22 PM

robchant
Crew Chief

Posted - 04/21/2016 :  4:34:28 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Kumar,

Thanks for the link to the video. I'm very, very impressed with the features available in the software, but I am wondering if it could be a bit of overkill using it to design a layout for me. And since I also rely on a lot of objects already created and stored in my library that I built up over the last 20 years, it would be very hard to start from scratch again. That being said, I am still considering playing around with SketchUp at some point, since I also do other non-railway related design work.

You have mentioned before that you thought something was lacking in the design of the module, and I was hoping you had figured that out by now. One thing I discovered about designing modules is that I find it very hard to get excited unless I can also see how the module would eventually fit into a larger layout some day.

Even though I plan to build my current layout in sections about 20" wide by 12' long, I also have to know what the rest of the layout will look like, so I have to plan all of it before I begin. I also want to know how any changes I make in the one module will impact the design of adjoining modules. So I can't plan a module without seeing or considering the big picture.

Take care,
Rob.

rca2
Engine Wiper

Posted - 04/21/2016 :  4:53:50 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by robchant

...since I also rely on a lot of objects already created and stored in my library that I built up over the last 20 years, it would be very hard to start from scratch again....

Hi Rob:
If the objects are images, you might be able to load them into SketchUp rather than start over from scratch.
Bob.

Modeling Arizona Eastern Railroad, Hayden Junction (1920), in On30

Page: of 18 Topic Next Topic: Original Kittom Lumber Company. Volume II  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-17 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.45 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000