Railroad Line Forums - The Town
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 6 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 110 ]  [ Total: 116 ]  [ Newest Member: Traintinker ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Micro & Mini Layouts
 The Town
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Original Kittom Lumber Company. Volume II Topic Next Topic: San Martine and Northern (Texas and Pacific)
Page: of 20

Tyson Rayles

Premium Member

Posted - 11/07/2016 :  1:07:45 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ya know black cats are bad luck!

Mike

Cowboybilly
Crew Chief

Posted - 11/08/2016 :  02:52:18 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i will build my railroads like this thanks for sharing,
good ideas.

Frank The Cowboybilly

kumard
Engine Wiper

Posted - 11/20/2016 :  1:32:00 PM  Show Profile  Visit kumard's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thanks guys.

Nothing to report and I've been laid up with flu for nearly two weeks so everything: work, hobby, homelife has ground to a halt.

However I just heard that my Fasttracks supplies arrive tomorrow so let's see if I can get started this week.

http://thedepotonline.com/

Grabnet
Engine Wiper

Posted - 11/20/2016 :  8:19:43 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by kumard

Thanks guys.

Nothing to report and I've been laid up with flu for nearly two weeks so everything: work, hobby, homelife has ground to a halt.

However I just heard that my Fasttracks supplies arrive tomorrow so let's see if I can get started this week.

Influenza is nasty stuff. Hope you get to feeling better soon. Doc Tom

Tyson Rayles

Premium Member

Posted - 11/22/2016 :  09:36:47 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hope you get to feeling better soon!

Mike

Dutchman
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 11/22/2016 :  09:40:35 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I hope that you are feeling better, Kumar.

Bruce

Modeling the railroads of the Jersey Highlands in HO and the logging railroads of Pennsylvania in HOn3

kumard
Engine Wiper

Posted - 11/28/2016 :  12:14:34 AM  Show Profile  Visit kumard's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thanks guys. Back to normal. The illness took me out for a month and I was close to going into the hospital a couple of times.

The Depot is on my bench being repaired after the cat rampage but my supplies for The Town have arrived so it looks like I'll be able to start track-laying next weekend.

I'm going to do the track-laying on this table and will start as soon as The Depot is back on its shelf.

Edited by - kumard on 11/28/2016 12:24:52 AM

Tyson Rayles

Premium Member

Posted - 11/28/2016 :  08:25:34 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Good to hear you are feeling better Kumard!

Mike

Dutchman
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 11/28/2016 :  08:25:55 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It is good to hear that your health is restored, Kumar.

Bruce

Modeling the railroads of the Jersey Highlands in HO and the logging railroads of Pennsylvania in HOn3

Cowboybilly
Crew Chief

Posted - 11/28/2016 :  3:54:11 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
wish you all the best , may be the lord with you

Frank The Cowboybilly

kumard
Engine Wiper

Posted - 11/29/2016 :  12:35:39 PM  Show Profile  Visit kumard's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thanks all.

I forgot that I had booked a much needed weekend away (Jenner Inn, CA) this weekend so I won't be able to start tracklaying till the following weekend.

In the meantime here are the supplies as they stand:

1. Copper plated ties from FastTracks. I wanted to avoid using them but until I come up with a better way of securing track these will stay on the supplies list.

2. Spikes from FastTracks. I'll use them to guide and hold the track in place but the goal is to remove them once the track is in place.

3. Cut ties from FastTracks. I prefer to cut and weather my own ties which is easier to do using tie sticks, but these will serve a purpose at some point especially if I want to model well-maintained trackwork.

4. Tie sticks from Kapplers and Black Bear. These will be weathered and then cut as needed. It's much easier to weather tie sticks than cut ties. I also want make sure the ties are random lengths (ie not all the same length).

5. Code 70 rail from FastTracks. I could go lighter still, code 70 still feels a little too chunky for branch line track and I might lay the traction tracks with lighter rail.

I still need to figure out if I'm going to use frog kits from Proto:87 Stores - I own a few kits which I have yet to assemble. I'll start with one and see how that looks before deciding whether to build my own frogs. I also need prototypical rail joiners and tie plates. I'll order these today.

I'm building a small diorama and will experiment with trackwork on that before committing to any particular tracklaying method.

That's all for now. Thanks all!!

Edited by - kumard on 11/29/2016 6:31:19 PM

kumard
Engine Wiper

Posted - 12/23/2016 :  12:19:59 AM  Show Profile  Visit kumard's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hi everyone.

Trackwork

I've finally started tracklaying.

Tracklaying is probably the most enjoyable part of the layout building process for me and trackwork is my favorite part of any railroad scene.

I think so much of the mood of a railroad scene is contained in the track. The rust of the rails, the condition of the ties, the level of surrounding ground all play an important part in conveying atmosphere in a scene. As much as buildings or scenery, trackwork can also act as a kind a storyteller: well-maintained track, buried-in-earth track, grassed-over track, rusty-track; each has its own story to tell about its use and the industries or people it was built to serve.

In this collection of postcards each length of track looks completely different from another.

I want to try to convey this kind of trackwork story-telling as much as possible on The Town and give each track its own story and history. I touched on this concept when building The Depot and my notes on that process are located here http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=45630&whichpage=6

As a first-time track-layer on The Depot I didn't realize that most modelers build track on the bench and then transfer it to the layout. I think that's the best way to do it since it is easier to get close to it for the fine details. Most build on top of a printed template such as number 6 turnout plan. However because I wanted to have the trackwork flow around I wasn't able to use any standard printed templates. This is where Templot came in. It's the only program out there that can produce custom trackwork drawings.

Even though learning the basics of Templot was an extremely painful process I eventually managed to produce a working drawing (as shown in earlier posts) on which to build all my trackwork. I decided to glue the paper plan to a cardboard backing.

I then took a sharp knife and cut out the first turnout I wanted to work on.

I transfered the template to my workbench and stuck it firmly down ready to receive ties.

I weathered the tie sticks using a variety of tool - the best being my weathering brush thingy, and then my wire brush and then the gouger. Old railroad ties can be very badly split and damaged and the gouger really helped me dig into the wood. Once the ties are laid I'll show a tie that has been badly gouged/damaged. Once weathered I stained them with black ink and alcohol.

At this point I hit my first snag: the spacings between ties drawn by Templot were too wide. I looked up the tie spacing standards in my trackwork book and it turns out that Templot's spacings are around 28 inches which is the very upper end for yard track. Branch lines and main lines had ties closer together: mainlines are 19 inches and branch lines are around 24 inches or less. I didn't want the track to look like mainline track but neither did I want the ties to be too far apart. I decided to go with about 22 inch spacings (and even then it still feels too wide.) I ignored Templot's tie drawings and just laid the ties on top of the diagram.

I cut some ties of different lengths and started gluing them down. I also made a small styrene gauge to occasionally check that I was more or less within the right spacing. It doesn't really matter if the ties aren't spaced correctly or are slightly mis-aligned: it all adds to their character. The key is not to overdo it.

I eventually ran out of stained wood so I'm at a stopping point. Unfortunately I'm also out of time and need to disappear for a couple of weeks. I'll continue on my return.

One last thing, I'm treating this piece of track as my testing ground. I'm already not happy with the way some things have turned out but I'm going to keep going. Once the rail is laid I'll decided whether to redo it. Solving problems and deciding on standards at this point will really help me when the trackwork starts to get really complex.

Thanks all!!

Edited by - kumard on 12/23/2016 1:16:19 PM

Dutchman
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 12/23/2016 :  08:47:17 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Kumar, it is good to see this update. The areas that you have pointed to as far as tie length variation will not be as obvious once you apply ballast and ground cover, etc. You can blend it all in to make it look the way you want it to look.

Bruce

George D

Premium Member

Posted - 12/23/2016 :  09:54:15 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It's going to be interesting to watch the turnout build, Kumar. I'm glad you were able to master Templot, it will make your trackwork flow nicely.

George

kumard
Engine Wiper

Posted - 12/23/2016 :  2:17:22 PM  Show Profile  Visit kumard's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Bruce >> The areas that you have pointed to as far as tie length variation will not be as obvious once you apply ballast and ground cover >> Thanks Bruce. You're probably right and I should wait until I get some ground cover down and ballast down. The ties might start to look just fine at that point.

George >> I'm glad you were able to master Templot, it will make your trackwork flow nicely. >> Thanks George. Templot really slowed me down this year but I'm glad I stuck with it. Hopefully the result will be worth it.

I really like to have a reference photo next to me just to keep me focused. The prototype image (in the book) is from the Washington and Old Dominion Railway - a steam and electric traction line near Washington DC. The track in the image is what I am aiming for for this stretch of track (the tie lengths are more consistent).

Edited by - kumard on 12/23/2016 2:19:44 PM

Page: of 20 Previous Topic: Original Kittom Lumber Company. Volume II Topic Next Topic: San Martine and Northern (Texas and Pacific)  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-17 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.55 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000