Railroad Line Forums - Code 88, Code 110;or don't care?
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 1 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 116 ]  [ Total: 117 ]  [ Newest Member: Midwest Mark ]
 All Forums
 Shop Talk
 Rolling Stock: the Car Shops
 Code 88, Code 110;or don't care?
Previous Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Central Valley Model Works Stock Car Topic Next Topic: Military Modeler Weathers a Styrene Boxcar
Page: of 2

NP2626
Engine Wiper

Posted - 01/09/2016 :  08:00:06 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
emcamey, where do you find Proto 87 equipment/parts?

bitlerisvj
Fireman

Posted - 01/09/2016 :  12:17:02 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I replied that I use only 110, but in all honesty, I do have several sets of code 88. Since I am running code 83 track and most of my turnouts are handlaid, I don't have any trouble at all. But, I do plan on using 110 for the most part. I wish the P2K wheelsets became available again. I do use Kadees, but the P2K's are a bit better I think?
Regards, Vic B.

LandNnut
Fireman

Posted - 01/09/2016 :  4:47:53 PM  Show Profile  Visit LandNnut's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hi Mark:
I'm not Ed but I may be able to give you a partial answer: The Proto:87 Stores.

http://www.proto87.com/

Been following the web site for several years and also a member of the yahoo group: Accu-Track

https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/ACCU-TRAK/conversations/messages

Haven't been able to buy anything from Andy because of lack of time and hobby dollars, but I believe I can recommend The Proto:87 Stores.

I think everybody who can should at least buy a package of tie plates to use as a line side debris detail so we can support an innovative supporter of the hobby.
L&N nut
Jon

emccamey
Crew Chief

Posted - 01/09/2016 :  9:18:04 PM  Show Profile  Visit emccamey's Homepage  Reply with Quote
P87 is a skilled craftsman modeling scale. Often time requiring machinist skills to accomplish necessary mechanical modeling. Jon got it right when pointing to the Proto87 Stores (which also sells fine scale code 88 standard HO as well as N scale stuff).

Biggest issue is steam drivers. I have to dismantle and lathe cut the driver wheels. Sometimes I replace with UK P4/Scale4 wheels that have been further cut down with a P87 plunge cut profile cutter. One also has to modify chassis on most (but not all) locomotives such that fully equalized suspension is properly working. Side rods on steamers also have to be replaced with working pivot joints using lap or forked rod bearing connections.

Much of the diesel models have an adequate suspension (or can be easily modified) and drop in NWSL wheel sets from the P87 Stores can be purchased.

NMRA Sx.1 standards are very specific and there is a 23 page Technical Note TN-1.1.2 that has some extensive documentation on all the Proto:Scale Standards. Besides Proto:87, there is P4/S4 standards in the UK, Proto:64, and Proto:48 standards.

-ed-

MarkF
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 01/10/2016 :  10:06:40 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by NP2626

In another thread a person made the following statment: "I'd rather have the layout work than worry so much about details on an operations oriented layout". I am of that same opinion, I pay attention to the details that are of interest to me (Like almost everyone else, I would guess) but, am most interested in the layout working well. I am also very interested in stretching my hobby dollar; so, given these two interests/criteria, going in for complete scale adherence just doesn't appeal to me. I like that I feel I can get buy with Code 110 width wheels, they fit into my idea of what a "Good Working Layout" is all about. I understand that others may want to take scale farther and some even want to take it to the Nth degree and I applaud them for their endeavor to do so, as long as it doesn't effect how I can enjoy my interests in this hobby!

Mark, your comments mirror my own thoughts. I truly admire those who model to true scale under Proto 87 standards. There is some amazing work out there! But I have a large operations based layout with 430+ freight cars so it is difficult for me to focus on the tiny details.

As it concerns wheelsets, every single piece of rolling stock on my layout has metal wheelsets though. I do take great care maintaining the cars, ensuring good operational reliability, and IMHO, metal wheelsets contribute to the cars reliability. As for brand, I previously used nothing but Kadee and still like them, but recently started using both Athearn and Intermountain wheel sets. They are all good.

Mark

NP2626
Engine Wiper

Posted - 01/11/2016 :  06:45:57 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Having been a tool and die maker, you would think Proto 87 would appeal to me; however, I don't find I have interest in it in the slightest. Working so hard to produce detail that is barely perceptible to my own eyes, seems like spinning my wheels. I'm not putting those who chose this endeavor, down. I'm all for people pursing whatever they want. I've conveyed many times how I am not a fast builder. I would have some doubts about having workable track for a layout in Proto 87 after 28 years abuilding!

Nuff said, people will always misinterpret what I've said and take it as put down. So, I will let this thought, go now! I will say that picking Proto 87 as your choice in model railroading, does not preclude people from being extraordinary craftsmen in their own choice of what they model!

Edited by - NP2626 on 01/11/2016 06:53:23 AM

NP2626
Engine Wiper

Posted - 01/23/2016 :  06:56:13 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
BurleyJim pointed out another option I had failed to allow for. So, I added Option # 4 today: "I use a mixture of both Code 88 and Code 110 and don't have any problems". It's possible that this thread has run out its' life span. I do try hard to present all the options and be as unbiased as I can be; however, I never seem to catch every aspect of a subject and can and do fall short, far more often than I would like. Sorry for this oversight!

Page: of 2 Previous Topic: Central Valley Model Works Stock Car Topic Next Topic: Military Modeler Weathers a Styrene Boxcar  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-17 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.22 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000