Railroad Line Forums - Intermittent wheel to truck sideframe short
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 2 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 276 ]  [ Total: 278 ]  [ Newest Member: SandersReview ]
 All Forums
 Shop Talk
 Rolling Stock: the Car Shops
 Intermittent wheel to truck sideframe short
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Accurail N.P. Reefer will not stay on the track!! Topic Next Topic: Passenger car diaphragm discussion  

jbvb
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 12/22/2015 :  12:05:07 PM  Show Profile  Visit jbvb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Sometimes the manufacturer makes the axle holes too big in a truck with metal sideframes. Once the paint wears off, this produces intermittent shorts.

When this happened to an Overland B&M caboose with conical journals, I couldn't replace the trucks; they were unique to the prototype. I measured the axle length with calipers and bought wheelsets with longer axles from Reboxx.

But this Bethlehem Car Works Kitbits T95A has straight-sided journal holes. I've thought of making nylon washers to fit the journal ends of the axles. Or I could glue a bit of metal into the bottom of the hole in the sideframe.

Has anyone else had this problem and fixed it? How, and did the fix work well in the long run?

desertdrover
Engineer

Posted - 12/22/2015 :  3:04:07 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
James, I've never had this problem or even had to address the problem, But I think your thoughts of gluing metal inside the hole of side frames would work. Myself I'd try doing one set using JB Weld Epoxy Steel resin and hardener, mixed and placed into the holes, once dry, try wheel sets and file/drill if any needed clean-up. Just my option and thoughts going on here.

Louis
Pacific Northwest Logging in the East Coast

bitlerisvj
Fireman

Posted - 12/22/2015 :  9:46:11 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You could buy the bearings sold by Tichy. They are very nice nylon inserts and may work for you?
https://www.tichytraingroup.com/Shop/tabid/91/c/trucks/p/3059/Default.aspx
Regards. Vic B.

Orionvp17
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 12/22/2015 :  10:28:01 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
These look like good ideas to me. I might start with the Tichy; if the holes are too deep, try pulling the Tichy and fill with J-B, then insert the Tichy and try again.

James, please let us know how things work out!

Pete
in Michigan

Edited by - Orionvp17 on 12/22/2015 10:29:05 PM

desertdrover
Engineer

Posted - 12/23/2015 :  09:14:42 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by bitlerisvj

You could buy the bearings sold by Tichy. They are very nice nylon inserts and may work for you?
https://www.tichytraingroup.com/Shop/tabid/91/c/trucks/p/3059/Default.aspx
Regards. Vic B.

After seeing these bearings, I believe that is a great bit of info to know. Thanks Vic, I'll have to remember these. I have a Locomotive Maintenance and rebuild folder and will have to place this information into it.

Louis
Pacific Northwest Logging in the East Coast

N2626
Engine Wiper

Premium Member

Posted - 01/04/2016 :  08:00:31 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The Tichy bearings will work, if they fit into the holes on the side frame (what are the odds that this would work out)? If they fit, that's great, otherwise I think I would be tempted to do what desertdrover suggests and filling the holes with epoxy. I think you could take an old set of plastic wheels and goober up the pointed axle ends with Vaseline (as a mold release) and put the wheel set into the uncured epoxy to mold the bearing surfaces, then use a truck truing tool to make perfect bearing pockets once the epoxy has cured. If this were me, I also wouldn't think twice about replacing the trucks with plastic ones, even though it sounds like these metal trucks are different.

Previous Topic: Accurail N.P. Reefer will not stay on the track!! Topic Next Topic: Passenger car diaphragm discussion  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-2020 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.22 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000