Railroad Line Forums - North Coast Railroad
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 0 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 106 ]  [ Total: 106 ]  [ Newest Member: Hawghead ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 HOn30 and HOn3 Forum
 North Coast Railroad
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Topic Next Topic: HOn3 and HOn30 Lounge
Page: of 17

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 03/21/2018 :  10:35:17 AM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
David,

Impressive. Your canyons really evoke the city.

Mike

_______________________________________________________________________________________________
Nobody living can ever stop me, as I go walking that freedom highway -- Woody Guthrie

David J Buchholz
Crew Chief

Posted - 03/25/2018 :  8:54:26 PM  Show Profile  Send David J Buchholz an AOL message  Reply with Quote
I've been working on three buildings at once this weekend. I finished buttoning up the unseen sides of the red brick building at the North end of the harbor. I'm digging through the odds and ends boxes for details now. Found a few goodies for roof. Will photograph and post soon.

Home of the North Coast Railroad.

David J Buchholz
Crew Chief

Posted - 03/25/2018 :  8:58:46 PM  Show Profile  Send David J Buchholz an AOL message  Reply with Quote
The fleet will be in soon. I have purchased the "Langell Boys" freighter from Sylvan Scale Models. It will be converted from a lumber hooker to a grain carrier by reworking and enlarging the deck holds.

Theoretically, the North Coast Railroad also interchanges with the Erie Barge Canal. A steam barge will be represented the Artitec 120 ton steam barge. It will be dressed in official New York blue and yellow colors.

Its good to see boxes moving from storage to construction.

As always, your ideas, comments and construction criticisms are welcome.

Dave Buchholz

Edited by - David J Buchholz on 03/25/2018 9:05:04 PM

kebmo
Fireman

Posted - 03/25/2018 :  9:30:40 PM  Show Profile  Visit kebmo's Homepage  Reply with Quote
the picture is perfect for the scene. great find!

if you suck at playing the trumpet...that's probably why.

David J Buchholz
Crew Chief

Posted - 03/29/2018 :  11:12:10 PM  Show Profile  Send David J Buchholz an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Went to the Dentist today. Had to get a tooth pulled. So I stayed home and had time to work on a few things.

First I have been making molds to reproduce a few pieces for the layout. I have made four tunnel entrances, two bridge abutments and am producing about eighteen wall pieces for the wharf area. The masters was from Chooch. I will not be using them for commercial purposes.

A few years ago, I got about 20 lbs of dental plaster from the dentist i went to today. As far as being useful, Hydrocal is by far superior, even regular plaster is better,so don't waste your money buying 20 lbs. It dries very grainy, powdery and soft. It also sets up very fast with little working time BUT I have 20 lbs of it, and it is OK for things like rock castings at the backdrop, but not for up front stuff.

The red rubbery stuff I have previously mentioned in an earlier post. It has the consistency of rubber worms, is non-toxic, and microwaveable.

It does not beat out a good two part silicone material for holding detail, and itis good for about three runs, before the detail deteriorates. The worst mistake you can make is cleaning it with hot water, because it will just melt the stuff in your hands.

Here's an example of what I've been making.

This next photo shows the basic paint job on the silo complex. Many of you will recognize it as a very common plastic kit from Walthers. I decided to try something different than the usually seen white or light gray finish on a gazillion model railroads.

After assembly, I used squadron plastic putty to fill and hide the molding gaps, and sprayed it with automotive primer. I then used 2 inch wide painters tape in a checker board pattern. I used some textured Rustoleum paint. It gives the surface a rough sandy effect of 200 grit sandpaper. I used three different colors of rattle cans.

The paneled effect on the main building was as simple as holding the edge of a piece of heavy paper and using it as a mask. I didn't need a stencil, just a card edge held vertical or horizontal, then hit it with the airbrush.

The tape was then removed and the newly exposed sections were also hit with the three cans as well. I was trying to make the silos look segmented and rough. (Not smooth sided, like a plastic model from Walthers)

After that I used the air brush with some tan, followed by some metallic copper to give it some rust "bleeding out" from the rebar that makes up a concrete structure. Overall, not sure of the overall results yet. The tape created a bit more "edge" than I was expeecting. But at least it's not like all the others.

One thing I will be creating that I have only seen previously modeled once before, is the Marine Leg required to unload grain ships of this era. This will be an example of a movable Marine leg, not a fixed leg. Both are essentially a huge tower, but the movable one rolls on tracks the length of the ship, rather than have to keep moving the ship. It lowers an endless bucket conveyor into the hold, then takes it to the top of the silo units and dumps it into collectors, where it is augered to the main house for processing or silo bin selection for storage.

Edited by - David J Buchholz on 04/17/2018 09:21:33 AM

David J Buchholz
Crew Chief

Posted - 03/30/2018 :  12:08:28 AM  Show Profile  Send David J Buchholz an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Here's few images of a marine leg. The left of the picture shows the bottom of a Marine Leg, and across the slip, you can see the height .

This photo happens to be from Montreal. It gives insight as to how the "leg" gets extended out and down into the ship. It also shows how well the Sylvan Scale Models "Langell Boys" will fit into the era, and be right at home in the North Coast Harbor

Edited by - David J Buchholz on 04/08/2018 10:12:55 PM

Frank Palmer
Fireman

Posted - 03/30/2018 :  09:51:30 AM  Show Profile  Visit Frank Palmer's Homepage  Reply with Quote
David I definitely like the direction you're going with this layout. Since starting our switching layout I can see some parallels.

Ensign
Fireman

Posted - 03/30/2018 :  11:22:55 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
David, I just read through your entire North Coast Railroad thread, and I must say it looks like a beautiful layout in the works.
I look forward to seeing how you will convert your Langell Boys to suit your needs.
Keep up the great work, that you are already doing!

Greg Shinnie

David J Buchholz
Crew Chief

Posted - 03/30/2018 :  2:22:01 PM  Show Profile  Send David J Buchholz an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Thanks Greg, you are the one setting great standards with Magoun Pier. Your Langell Boys construction thread is bookmarked In my laptop at home. I was thinking of re-decking with scribed wood as I don't seem to have the knack of making plastic or resin look like wood.

You are the inspiration for many of the things I am doing, and I look with interest at your postings.

Edited by - David J Buchholz on 04/08/2018 10:14:07 PM

Carl B
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 03/30/2018 :  2:35:35 PM  Show Profile  Visit Carl B's Homepage  Reply with Quote
David,
As you may remember, I'm originally from the western New York area, and am familiar with the harbor and old mill area in Buffalo.

It looks to me that you are well on your way to accurately capturing the flavor of that place, well done! I'll be following along.

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 03/30/2018 :  10:05:40 PM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
David,

This is interesting. Next time Iím driving through Buffalo or Toledo Iíll have to be more observant.

With regard to making styrene or plastic look like wood, the secret is Tamiya ďDeck TanĒ paint or something close.

Mike

_______________________________________________________________________________________________
Nobody living can ever stop me, as I go walking that freedom highway -- Woody Guthrie

David J Buchholz
Crew Chief

Posted - 03/31/2018 :  4:56:30 PM  Show Profile  Send David J Buchholz an AOL message  Reply with Quote
On the Langell Boys, when it gets here. The few changes I have in mind are more holds, all going a little farther across the deck. Also an enclosed upper bridge, with walkways extending out the the edge of the hull. Likely to ad a real wood deck and wainscoating to the lower portion of the cabin area walls Relatively minor changes involved, just t0 differentiate its use from a lumber schooner to a grain carrier.

Edited by - David J Buchholz on 03/31/2018 4:59:46 PM

Ensign
Fireman

Posted - 03/31/2018 :  6:01:42 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
David, I found this history of Buffalo's grain elevators video, that you and your followers might find interesting.

https://www.c-span.org/video/?327663-1/history-buffalos-grain-elevators

Greg Shinnie

David J Buchholz
Crew Chief

Posted - 04/01/2018 :  12:09:52 AM  Show Profile  Send David J Buchholz an AOL message  Reply with Quote
I got groupies following me?

Thanks for the posted Video Greg.

I received some of the "fleet" today. The Artitec Steam Barge Arrivedt today/ All resin castings except for some delicate etched brass stuff. No real directions though. Hoping they can be found online.

Here's quick peek at the basic casting, and where it will be placed.

Edited by - David J Buchholz on 04/01/2018 12:15:20 AM

jschumaker
Fireman

Posted - 04/01/2018 :  3:09:17 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Just getting caught up with this thread. Quite a bit of progress since I last checked in. Can you tell me how you work with the mold making compound, Dave?

Jeff S.

Page: of 17 Topic Next Topic: HOn3 and HOn30 Lounge  
 New Topic |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-17 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.42 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000