Railroad Line Forums - North Coast Railroad
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 7 | Anonymous Members: 2 | Guests: 147 ]  [ Total: 156 ]  [ Newest Member: Ben de Vink ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 HOn30 and HOn3 Forum
 North Coast Railroad
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: San Juan Central Topic Next Topic: Modeling an entire roster... White Deer & Loganton
Page: of 22

David J Buchholz
Crew Chief

Posted - 01/12/2019 :  1:43:38 PM  Show Profile  Send David J Buchholz an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Thanks for posting Frank. Nice colors and weathering. You've given me some possibiltes there. I particularly like the angled roof on the one building. Never noticed there was an extension off the back side.

Dave

Home of the North Coast Railroad.

David J Buchholz
Crew Chief

Posted - 01/13/2019 :  10:52:11 PM  Show Profile  Send David J Buchholz an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Im in need of a little help with where to put track feeds and insulated rail joiners in the harbor area. I have a posting needing comments from my fellow forum modelers, here:

http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=51331

In the meantime, this photo show how things are shaping up in the harbor area. The paper buildings are both outlines of Bar Mills kits. I will also be scratch building a "Sam Cahoons" inspired structure based on Frank Palmer's photos above.

Of particular interest is the building with the sloped roof. It would need to be without the extension off the rear of the building, as otherwise, that would end up on the deck of the freighter.

Edited by - David J Buchholz on 01/13/2019 11:02:31 PM

David J Buchholz
Crew Chief

Posted - 01/25/2019 :  4:12:33 PM  Show Profile  Send David J Buchholz an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Been working on the control panel for the harbor area for the past week. Lots of wiring and soldering on DPDT switches.

Need to mount all the tortoise switch machines under the bench work, and wire them to the panel via some 25 pin disconnects used in computer connections.

Carl B
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 01/25/2019 :  5:05:10 PM  Show Profile  Visit Carl B's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I really like how your scene is coming along here Dave.

As a former Western New Yorker, it looks like it belongs there..

railman28
Fireman

Posted - 01/25/2019 :  6:39:02 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You're coming along nicely. I like your track plan here. The harbor is going to look good and be fun to operate.

Bob

It's only make-believe

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 01/25/2019 :  8:18:43 PM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Work on the electrics is almost invisible but so satisfying when you actually see trains running.

Bernd
Fireman

Posted - 01/26/2019 :  09:05:15 AM  Show Profile  Visit Bernd's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Perhaps by the next RIT show Dave will be able to have an operating session.

Bernd

kingstonemodelworks.com

David J Buchholz
Crew Chief

Posted - 01/26/2019 :  09:17:27 AM  Show Profile  Send David J Buchholz an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Probably to remove kidney stones.

David J Buchholz
Crew Chief

Posted - 01/26/2019 :  6:15:32 PM  Show Profile  Send David J Buchholz an AOL message  Reply with Quote
I happen to have a vinyl cutter from when my son had an auto repair business, I used it to get the exact outline of the harbor area onto the control panel.

First was getting a picture of the actual trackage.

Next was opening up the photo in PAINT and whiting out, erasing the background.

Next was turning the trackage into black and sending it to the vinyl cutter, then applying the transfer paper.

Once uploaded to the cutter software, I could cut the design into whatever color vinyl I had handy. I choice to cut white and mounted it on masonite painted black. I drilled holes at the center of the turnouts, and mounted the DPDT switches and LEDs in the path of the turnouts.

This the start of the wiring process, with brass strips for the power and ground busses.

Edited by - David J Buchholz on 01/26/2019 6:33:54 PM

Bernd
Fireman

Posted - 01/27/2019 :  08:38:19 AM  Show Profile  Visit Bernd's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Dave,

Neat way of making track outlines on a panel. I like it.

Beernd

kingstonemodelworks.com

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 01/27/2019 :  10:01:38 AM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Very neat and clean; your panel looks easy to use, more intuitive than diagrammatic ones.

Mike

_______________________________________________________________________________________________
Nobody living can ever stop me, as I go walking that freedom highway -- Woody Guthrie

David J Buchholz
Crew Chief

Posted - 02/07/2019 :  9:50:52 PM  Show Profile  Send David J Buchholz an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Haven't had much ambition lately to get much done. Been sleeping in and going to bed early.

But tonight I got my butt downstairs to continue wiring. What looks simple on wiring diagram versus reeaal life are two different things.

Here's a snapshot update of all the power and grounds for all the turnout switches (DPDT center off) and LEDs.

... and all of that work was so when the switch is flipped all the LEDs flip color to indicate which way the switch is thrown.

Note the pair of LEDs have reversed color.

This is the final Schematic for wiring. For power I am using a 6 volt DC Eldon transformer (slot cars from the 60's)

Edited by - David J Buchholz on 02/07/2019 10:04:50 PM

Ensign
Fireman

Posted - 02/07/2019 :  11:11:43 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
David, nice work on your panel.
I bet your glad to have that job almost finished.

Greg Shinnie

Bernd
Fireman

Posted - 02/08/2019 :  08:15:15 AM  Show Profile  Visit Bernd's Homepage  Reply with Quote
David,

Nice and neat wiring, not looking like a rats nest like some I've seen. Even thought the handle on the toggle gives direction it's nice to have another indicator when your not looking straight on to the control panel.

Bernd

kingstonemodelworks.com

David J Buchholz
Crew Chief

Posted - 02/08/2019 :  10:23:04 AM  Show Profile  Send David J Buchholz an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Greg, very true, Wiring is one of the least satisfying, but most important part of a model railroad. Otherwise it is a diorama.

Thanks for your continued interest.

Dave

Page: of 22 Previous Topic: San Juan Central Topic Next Topic: Modeling an entire roster... White Deer & Loganton  
 New Topic |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-19 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 2 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000