Railroad Line Forums - North Coast Railroad
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 8 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 111 ]  [ Total: 119 ]  [ Newest Member: Bigbandito ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 HOn30 and HOn3 Forum
 North Coast Railroad
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: San Juan Central Topic Next Topic: Modeling an entire roster... White Deer & Loganton
Page: of 22

Pennman
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 12/23/2018 :  06:02:57 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Dave,

I read through Mark's post and a few before that you posted and I'm not going to say much, as building a layout as extensive as the one you are constructing is a new chapter, at least for me. I think Mark's comments and suggestions are well said and worth looking into.
I will continue to follow your progress.

Rich

David J Buchholz
Crew Chief

Posted - 12/23/2018 :  09:06:24 AM  Show Profile  Send David J Buchholz an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Mark, Thank you for taking the time to both read and comment on my efforts thus far. I'll be looking forward to your postings in Tellyknot Corners to gain some insight and ideas as to how you make things work. I agree that the roof lines have been unimaginative thus far. They are just empty shells used for sizes.

Similarly, I spend volumes of time fiddling with placement to develop ideas. I'm not there yet with the town on the hill, but at least seem to be making gains.

Here's a little advancement, with nothing glued down at this point. Might make the road a bit steeper in its climb, and continue that climb around the corner.

I have added a modified building in the upper right corner by cuuting about a half inch out from between the second and third floors

I had promised an update of additional track laid down thus far in the yard area. This is a small layout, so everything becomes diminished, including storage. The yard holds about ten cars. That's it. Haven't worked out the details of mounting the turntable yet.

Home of the North Coast Railroad.

Edited by - David J Buchholz on 12/23/2018 10:59:30 AM

Bernd
Fireman

Posted - 12/23/2018 :  09:18:53 AM  Show Profile  Visit Bernd's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Dave,

The buildings look much better from what you had earlier. I like it, looks good.

Nice progress on the yard. Looking good. Maybe by next time after the RIT show you'll have trains running.

Bernd

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 12/23/2018 :  09:36:24 AM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Dave,

I like your current arrangement of buildings, even though itís probably not the final configuration. I think youíre on the right track, so to speak.

Some of the most interesting scenes Iíve observed model the land/water interface with its dramatic changes in elevation, different forms of transport, and harbor-related enterprises.

Mike

_______________________________________________________________________________________________
Nobody living can ever stop me, as I go walking that freedom highway -- Woody Guthrie

Bernd
Fireman

Posted - 12/24/2018 :  3:13:27 PM  Show Profile  Visit Bernd's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Dave,

Had sent you a PM back on 12/18 about the HOn3 Climax. Did you get the PM or didn't I write one?

Bernd

David J Buchholz
Crew Chief

Posted - 12/24/2018 :  3:16:03 PM  Show Profile  Send David J Buchholz an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Got it. Look for return PM.

Edited by - David J Buchholz on 12/24/2018 3:36:05 PM

David J Buchholz
Crew Chief

Posted - 01/01/2019 :  10:32:34 AM  Show Profile  Send David J Buchholz an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Happy New Years 2019. Headed down to the North Coast with the track crew today. Hoping to get some rail down in the harbor area today and tomorrow. Shipping season will be here before you know it.

Edited by - David J Buchholz on 01/01/2019 11:40:37 AM

David J Buchholz
Crew Chief

Posted - 01/02/2019 :  11:39:30 PM  Show Profile  Send David J Buchholz an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Although, I got much of the track down in the port area, it has fortified my belief that no track plan goes unpunished.

It always takes up more room than you planned for on paper

Bernd
Fireman

Posted - 01/03/2019 :  07:59:57 AM  Show Profile  Visit Bernd's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by David J Buchholz

Although, I got much of the track down in the port area, it has fortified my belief that no track plan goes unpunished.

It always takes up more room than you planned for on paper

You need to get a bigger piece of paper. Works for me.

Bernd

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 01/03/2019 :  09:28:44 AM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Dave,

Putting down track has its trials and tribulations, but itís satisfying in the end to see the trains move. Anyway, at some point the North Coast RR needs to make a profit to keep the shareholders happy.

Mike

David J Buchholz
Crew Chief

Posted - 01/03/2019 :  10:09:49 AM  Show Profile  Send David J Buchholz an AOL message  Reply with Quote
While tribulating, I saw where the plan taketh away, it also gave back. Although things got pushed towards the grain elevators, it opened up a few areas to add a siding by the backdrop, and spread out the crowded cannery cove near the turntable.

Edited by - David J Buchholz on 01/03/2019 10:12:46 AM

mark_dalrymple
Fireman

Posted - 01/03/2019 :  1:43:21 PM  Show Profile  Send mark_dalrymple an AOL message  Reply with Quote
The new configuration of the town is looking good, Dave.

One thing I might suggest - try continuing the grade on the roads return back to the right, and mock-up the back with considerably smaller buildings - like you have in the front row. I feel those 5-story building scream big city - whereas you have more of a small town feel. You will still end up with the same height at the back right.

Enjoying your progress.

Cheers, Mark.

David J Buchholz
Crew Chief

Posted - 01/03/2019 :  3:16:42 PM  Show Profile  Send David J Buchholz an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Gregg thanks for your continued interest, and suggestions.

While waiting for the glue to dry during track work, the hill scene has been progressing mentally at least. I pulled the tiny shops out, and moved the apartment building to the right. It left a hole between the buildings of course. Might be nice place for a little steam bed to come tumbling down the hill.

Trying to figure out HOW to make the road come down to the right and to the waterfront. The track that scoots around from the yard to ferry slip and station may need a portion tunneled or bridged to get there.

Edited by - David J Buchholz on 01/04/2019 08:46:18 AM

David J Buchholz
Crew Chief

Posted - 01/11/2019 :  9:17:16 PM  Show Profile  Send David J Buchholz an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Almost finished laying down the track in the Port area near the backdrop. I had to pull up a few turnouts because of drilling in the wrong place for the Tortoise throw bar. OOOPS!

Thinking of a small Harbor Master structure with an observation tower, and a fuel station facility that will be needed for for all those vessels that are in port. It would be on the area between the wharf and the canneries.

Played around a little bit with structures for the foreground area. The one at the end of the wharf will be the "Sal Manilla" building from the Bar Mills FS&M tribute kit #1. Also looking for a suitable ideas for a warehouse on the same pier. About 3.5 wide x 6 long is about the max size that will work. Freight doors would need to be on the long side. Any pics you can post of related Idea will be appreciated.

Sam Cahoon's pier has always been a favorite of mine, a great example of the look I am after.

Edited by - David J Buchholz on 01/12/2019 1:38:40 PM

Frank Palmer
Fireman

Posted - 01/12/2019 :  09:00:50 AM  Show Profile  Visit Frank Palmer's Homepage  Reply with Quote

David I bought that kit some time ago but I didn't have the room lengthwise so I broke it up. it's a great kit to interchange parts.

Page: of 22 Previous Topic: San Juan Central Topic Next Topic: Modeling an entire roster... White Deer & Loganton  
 New Topic |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-19 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.36 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000