Railroad Line Forums - North Coast Railroad
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 7 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 109 ]  [ Total: 116 ]  [ Newest Member: rsmokingus ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 HOn30 and HOn3 Forum
 North Coast Railroad
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Hon3 turnouts, questions looking for assistance Topic Next Topic: HOn3 and HOn30 Lounge
Page: of 19

David J Buchholz
Crew Chief

Posted - 11/10/2018 :  08:39:08 AM  Show Profile  Send David J Buchholz an AOL message  Reply with Quote
I had previously mentioned having to redesign the port area trackage to get a better angle at the port yard throat coming off the main line. You'll note the fishing wharf area has a switchback to enable spotting cars at the cannery. Couldn't pull the curve around enough to make it from the port yard throat

Home of the North Coast Railroad.

Edited by - David J Buchholz on 11/10/2018 11:34:26 PM

Bernd
Fireman

Posted - 11/10/2018 :  11:06:54 AM  Show Profile  Visit Bernd's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Michael Hohn

Dave,

I like the dramatic sky and colorful scenery. Youíre very talented.

From the mountains in the distance I know itís not the view from Irondequoit.

Mike

If Dave travels about 20 miles further south he'll see the Bristol Hills. We're 1100 feet above sea level out here. There's a survey marker at the end of our driveway that says so.

Bernd

A PESSIMIST sees a dark tunnel
An OPTIMIST sees light at the end of the tunnel
A REALIST sees a freight train
The LOCOMOTIVE ENGINEER sees three idiots standing on the tracks

David J Buchholz
Crew Chief

Posted - 11/10/2018 :  10:50:52 PM  Show Profile  Send David J Buchholz an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Bernd, if you read this in time,Im trying to meet you at the Batavia train show. Phone number is in your messages. I'll be there before 9:00 am

Bench work is finally done to the point where I can work with pink foam board next and actually consider the Silver Spike ceremony for the first track laying to begin soon I finish the supports and plywood area for the yard, engine house and turntable.

Will still need to make the hole for the turntable in the near future. I have an Atlas unit, self aligning in standard gauge. I will built a false top for it, to create the pit and superstructure. There are a few people here who pioneered the bashing that I hope to follow.

Also ordered a bunch of Texaco related detail items from JL Innovative today. Texaco will be the exclusive petroleum products supplier for the North Coast Railroad.

Edited by - David J Buchholz on 11/10/2018 11:37:29 PM

David J Buchholz
Crew Chief

Posted - 11/17/2018 :  11:25:31 PM  Show Profile  Send David J Buchholz an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Official Silver Spike Ceremony today.

Started putting down track from the bridge into the tunnel at the upper left of the plan.
As a result I will need a refresher course in wiring Shinohara turnouts and the electrical pitfalls to avoid short circuits.

Comments and/or links appreciated.

Dave

Edited by - David J Buchholz on 11/18/2018 08:03:51 AM

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 11/18/2018 :  08:16:23 AM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Dave,

If the points on yourturnout makes good contact with the stock rails, you donít have to do anything. Generally that canít be assumed long term. You can power points and frog with a dpdt to switch polarity when you throw the points.

Because a stock rail and adjacent open point have opposite polarities you can get shorts if wheels on long wheelbase locks bridge the gap. I donít get this problem with my no 6 turnouts and 2-8-0 old timers.

Mike

_______________________________________________________________________________________________
Nobody living can ever stop me, as I go walking that freedom highway -- Woody Guthrie

Edited by - Michael Hohn on 11/18/2018 08:19:15 AM

David J Buchholz
Crew Chief

Posted - 11/26/2018 :  10:20:10 PM  Show Profile  Send David J Buchholz an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Been putting down some track from the tunnel in the upper left of the track plan, clockwise under the town on the hill to the reverse loop.

Hardest part has been getting the alignment correct off the mainline To the harbor. I previously soldered the crossover and runaround switches together as a unit to get angles correct.

Finally got it to work with a bit more fiddling. It was proof that no track plan survives the first spike intact.

Edited by - David J Buchholz on 11/26/2018 10:29:02 PM

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 11/27/2018 :  03:10:58 AM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by David J Buchholz

no track plan survives the first spike intact.

I think what you say is a general rule of model railroading.

Mike

_______________________________________________________________________________________________
Nobody living can ever stop me, as I go walking that freedom highway -- Woody Guthrie

Pennman
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 11/27/2018 :  04:22:46 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Dave,

Up at 3:23 am, couldn't sleep, finally had a chance to read through your entire thread from the beginning. I like your use of space and am intrigued with the amount of various structures you have planned for your railroad. There doesn't seem to be any overcrowding at all. And I must say your modeling is top notch. Keep up the excellent work. I will be following along more closely in the future.

Rich

David J Buchholz
Crew Chief

Posted - 11/27/2018 :  08:33:05 AM  Show Profile  Send David J Buchholz an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Better yet, I'll see you at the RIT Show with Bernd on the 8th.

Pennman
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 11/27/2018 :  08:39:06 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

Dave,

I'm looking forward to that, for sure!!

Rich

Bernd
Fireman

Posted - 11/27/2018 :  09:15:33 AM  Show Profile  Visit Bernd's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:

I'll be there on the 8th come Hell or High Snow.

Bernd

David J Buchholz
Crew Chief

Posted - 11/27/2018 :  09:51:27 AM  Show Profile  Send David J Buchholz an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Pennman, my belief is that without the structures that the railroad services, the railroad would have no reason to exist.

I've previously made mention of the silos and malting buildings at the harbor, which in turn support milling and brewing operations.

Commercial fishing existed on the Great Lakes, requiring lots of ice hence a lake ice operation for shipping fresh fish, and canneries for the rest of it. Maybe fertilizer with what us left over.

Just inland of Lake Ontario is fruit and vegetable orchards, requiring cold storage facilities and juice processors, canneries

The border crossing between two countries require facilites for imprt and export.

There is some intentional crowding waterside. Never been to a fishing port where water access wasn't at a premium, and fully exploited at every point.

Add all the people working, needing homes, food supplies, services, fuel, and you begin to see the connections of all the buildings that are required to make a community.

At least, that's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Edited by - David J Buchholz on 11/27/2018 4:50:27 PM

Bernd
Fireman

Posted - 11/27/2018 :  10:53:52 AM  Show Profile  Visit Bernd's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Dave,

Check your PM.

Bernd

Bernd
Fireman

Posted - 11/27/2018 :  1:01:13 PM  Show Profile  Visit Bernd's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Bernd

Dave,

Check your PM.

Bernd

Sorry Dave. I screwed up. I sent the PM to the correct person, but mentioned it to the wrong person on the thread.

Bernd

David J Buchholz
Crew Chief

Posted - 11/27/2018 :  1:16:32 PM  Show Profile  Send David J Buchholz an AOL message  Reply with Quote
At least I don't have to check for a BM.

Page: of 19 Previous Topic: Hon3 turnouts, questions looking for assistance Topic Next Topic: HOn3 and HOn30 Lounge  
 New Topic |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-19 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.38 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000