Railroad Line Forums - North Coast Railroad
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 3 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 102 ]  [ Total: 105 ]  [ Newest Member: lumberfan ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 HOn30 and HOn3 Forum
 North Coast Railroad
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Hon3 turnouts, questions looking for assistance Topic Next Topic: The M - K & Eastern RR
Page: of 19

Mike Hamer
Engineer

Posted - 08/01/2018 :  4:46:34 PM  Show Profile  Visit Mike Hamer's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hello David, I'm just catching up on your thread. Love that image of the ship tied up at the dock for a background picture between the buildings. The layout is really progressing. I've built a few marine vessels and am always thrilled to follow along when other modelers do so as well. I'll look forward to following along!

Mike Hamer
Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
http://www.bostonandmaine.blogspot.ca
http://www.craftsmanstructures.blogspot.ca
http://modelrailroadsivisit.blogspot.ca

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 08/01/2018 :  7:58:47 PM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by David J Buchholz

On summer hiatus for model railroading. I'll be back at the end of summer.

Dave,

Looking forward to your return to modeling. Meanwhile, enjoy your summer.

Mike

_______________________________________________________________________________________________
Nobody living can ever stop me, as I go walking that freedom highway -- Woody Guthrie

David J Buchholz
Crew Chief

Posted - 08/01/2018 :  9:39:58 PM  Show Profile  Send David J Buchholz an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Thanks Mike. In Orlando. Found a 1/87 COca-Cola truck, era 1936. Will fit in to the layout perfectly

Home of the North Coast Railroad.

quartergauger48
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 08/01/2018 :  9:41:56 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hang in there Dave, enjoy your summer break. See you when you get back to the bench'.. The build is looking very good'..

David J Buchholz
Crew Chief

Posted - 08/02/2018 :  08:11:27 AM  Show Profile  Send David J Buchholz an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Thanks guys. I am still spending money on the hobby, keeping the economy soaring. Bought seven "turtle" switch machines, a few more Shinohara #4 turnouts, some pulleys from Wiseman for the Marine leg tower,and some others bits and pieces, unpainted people and a few reefers with local rail affiliations. .

Edited by - David J Buchholz on 10/26/2018 10:43:30 PM

David J Buchholz
Crew Chief

Posted - 10/26/2018 :  10:39:31 PM  Show Profile  Send David J Buchholz an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Well, I'm back for the winter hobby season. i was collecting a few kits over the warm months, lots of small details. Picked up two Scale Structures Ltd kits of the oil tanks and the matching loading facility at well below current retail.

Added a few reefer cars of Central New York area, including one for a company from Oswego NY that ran a lake ice harvesting company. Hey , if you have fishing, you need lots of ice. So it now give a reason for existence to one of my harbor buildings.

Also got the two stall engine house from Builders in Scale that I've had my eye for a few years, one showed up at a good price on E-bay.

Rounding things out are, the fishing shack from Bar Mills, and Texaco Gas station details from JL Innovations. I've had the Woodland Scenic gas station for years. It goes along with the SSL oil tank stuff and Texaco rail tanker and truck that have been sitting in boxes for years

The past few nights I've been screwing and gluing bench work and pink foam for the Deep water harbor area that will have the big ships, and grain elevator. Almost forgot I got the casting for electric motors and the pulley system form Wiseman Models for the Marine leg as well. So I will be back to constructing that again soon. (at least when I remember where the hell I left off)

Tonight I added more detail to the backdrop, both trees at the foreground and detail to the layers of distance hills. I'm happy with it. Its one of those situations where it's not a commercial backdrop, not a professionally done mural, but at least better than cinder block walls, and I can honestly say it was a labor of love, beers and coffee.

For those waiting to see how the Rubbles Station kit mingle is going, all is not lost. I made a few decisions over the summer to ease further construction and add durability. More to come.

Dave

Edited by - David J Buchholz on 10/27/2018 10:42:19 AM

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 10/27/2018 :  11:00:44 AM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Dave,

Thank you for the detailed update. I see a future of interesting projects coming from your direction and look forward to photos.

Mike

Ensign
Fireman

Posted - 10/27/2018 :  12:00:19 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Dave, glad to see that the shore leave has now ended, and that you will be back to the tasks at hand soon.

Greg Shinnie

David J Buchholz
Crew Chief

Posted - 10/30/2018 :  08:04:15 AM  Show Profile  Send David J Buchholz an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Been reorganizing the basement in preparation for a new furnace. It included sorting labeling all the unmarked boxes of railroad stuff. I have stuff that I had totally forgotten about, boxes that got water damaged.

I have the big Keystone sawmill, all its castings without the wood or box. Several lid cars and a Barnhart loader that ill never need. Thinking if selling it all off as a unit.

Any interest out there?

Edited by - David J Buchholz on 10/30/2018 08:08:32 AM

David J Buchholz
Crew Chief

Posted - 10/30/2018 :  10:22:52 AM  Show Profile  Send David J Buchholz an AOL message  Reply with Quote
It would be inaccurate to say I did nothing to the layout over the summer. I grabbed a paint brush several times and added to the background to fill in some color and detail. Here's a few of the views from the harbor into the hills.

Edited by - David J Buchholz on 10/30/2018 10:26:55 AM

Frank Palmer
Fireman

Posted - 10/30/2018 :  1:06:24 PM  Show Profile  Visit Frank Palmer's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Very nice.

TRAINS1941
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 10/30/2018 :  1:15:37 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Nice background for sure!

Jerry

"And in the end, itís not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years." A. Lincoln

David J Buchholz
Crew Chief

Posted - 10/31/2018 :  11:45:41 AM  Show Profile  Send David J Buchholz an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Apparently, like good deeds, no track plan ever goes unpunished. Been laying out the port area, had to either realign things or cut a hole in the chimney. I was very tempted to find the sledge hammer.

The problem was the entry from the mainline. To make it work, the initial angle had be changed by about 20 degrees.

Finally came up with shifts of turnout placement and right/left swaps that were needed to allow the sidings to where they needed to go. Coincidently will give more challenging switching operations and allow a storage track in the port area.

Edited by - David J Buchholz on 10/31/2018 11:52:55 AM

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 10/31/2018 :  1:10:59 PM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Dave,

I like the dramatic sky and colorful scenery. Youíre very talented.

From the mountains in the distance I know itís not the view from Irondequoit.

Mike

_______________________________________________________________________________________________
Nobody living can ever stop me, as I go walking that freedom highway -- Woody Guthrie

David J Buchholz
Crew Chief

Posted - 11/09/2018 :  7:38:55 PM  Show Profile  Send David J Buchholz an AOL message  Reply with Quote
You are right Mike. No mountains on Lake Ontario, but all sorts of things can happen in our dreams or nightmares.

I am reworking the portion of the backdrop shown in the last pic. I realized I did not plan properly that the track closest to the background pierces the wall through a tunnel at much higher point.

Unless I wanted to break the space/time continuum into another dimension and a door into the unknown (or even into the bathroom)I needed to raise the scenery of that hill about 4 inches higher.

Pics to come.

Dave.

Edited by - David J Buchholz on 11/10/2018 11:31:15 PM

Page: of 19 Previous Topic: Hon3 turnouts, questions looking for assistance Topic Next Topic: The M - K & Eastern RR  
 New Topic |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-19 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.31 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000