Railroad Line Forums - North Coast Railroad
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 3 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 106 ]  [ Total: 109 ]  [ Newest Member: Hawghead ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 HOn30 and HOn3 Forum
 North Coast Railroad
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Topic Next Topic: HOn3 and HOn30 Lounge
Page: of 18

David J Buchholz
Crew Chief

Posted - 04/11/2018 :  08:46:42 AM  Show Profile  Send David J Buchholz an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Here's a picture of something all you heavy weathering guys can drool over. A well rusted Marine Leg in Buffalo. The pulley system you see is what drags the tower along the rail from one end to the other so the it can reach all the holds of the ship being unloaded.

Here's a little more of an overall view of the same structure.

I have a photo that unfortunately, won't load up "error 13" It shows the mechanism as to how the Marine Leg is angled out away from the tower. As the support arm is lifted by cables, it presses out against the Marine Leg, thereby pushes the leg outward from the tower. It then acts as a fulcrum point as the leg is lowered against it.

Keeping it mind that the ship starts low in the water and raises as it unloads. The leg needs to be controlled both vertically and horizontally. Between the two movements, the leg downward, and the support outward, it can sweep the width of the hold.

Home of the North Coast Railroad.

Edited by - David J Buchholz on 04/11/2018 08:57:56 AM

wesleybeks
Fireman

Posted - 04/12/2018 :  05:14:24 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi David

Loving all the work you doing here. Keep at it.

David J Buchholz
Crew Chief

Posted - 04/12/2018 :  10:04:21 AM  Show Profile  Send David J Buchholz an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Just had a broken molar yanked out. So no going into work today. Been trolling the internet for pictures of the inside of Marine Leg towers. Hit what is the motherload (so far to date) at the Library of Congress website. WHOOHOO.

Got photos showing two different ways of extending the leg via the arm underneath.

One shows the arm fixed to the tower, using pullies lifting the support arm, there by pushing out the leg.

The other shows a screw jacking system, whereby, the arm is fixed to the leg instead of the tower. In the tower there is a gear driven shaft at the top of the arm.As it is turned, the top of the arm goes down, and the fixed point on the leg has no where to go, but out, pushing the leg out in the process.

It appears, that the screw jacking system was the later method, but I think the pullies and cables will make a more interesting model.

On the modeling side, the Tichy casement Windows arrived. NICE! Beats the Walters stock windows all to hell. Got about half the openings enlarged already.

Edited by - David J Buchholz on 04/12/2018 7:30:07 PM

Frank Palmer
Fireman

Posted - 04/12/2018 :  10:52:50 AM  Show Profile  Visit Frank Palmer's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Marine Leg (X) is angled out away from tower (C) the support arm (A) is lifted by cables (Y), presses out against Marine Leg (B), thereby pushes leg (B) outward from tower (C) acting as fulcrum point (D) as leg (B) is lowered against tower (C).

Phew I think I go it. Thanks.

What did he say, I don't know I'm just going along with it. Shhh!

Edited by - Frank Palmer on 04/12/2018 10:54:56 AM

David J Buchholz
Crew Chief

Posted - 04/12/2018 :  7:42:45 PM  Show Profile  Send David J Buchholz an AOL message  Reply with Quote
What he said. Exactly.

Frank, the scary part is that there is a diagram that uses letters to describe the parts of the whole structure, and you might have actually hit a few correctly!

Found a bunch of photo portfolios on the Library of Congress site. I won't post them,but those having interest can use the following links, about 100 or so pics altogether.

https://www.loc.gov/resource/hhh.ny1667.photos?st=grid

https://www.loc.gov/resource/hhh.ny1676.photos?st=gallery

https://www.loc.gov/resource/hhh.ny1668.photos?st=gallery

https://www.loc.gov/resource/hhh.ny1669.photos?st=gallery

Edited by - David J Buchholz on 04/12/2018 8:06:19 PM

David J Buchholz
Crew Chief

Posted - 04/13/2018 :  1:36:02 PM  Show Profile  Send David J Buchholz an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Got the confirmation message today that my Langell Boys ship from Sylvan Scale Models has been shipped and is Enroute.

Frank Palmer
Fireman

Posted - 04/13/2018 :  3:30:47 PM  Show Profile  Visit Frank Palmer's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Not too complicated inside there, but where's my dust mask.

David J Buchholz
Crew Chief

Posted - 04/13/2018 :  10:36:12 PM  Show Profile  Send David J Buchholz an AOL message  Reply with Quote
I was out of town today in Syracuse for an Executive Board meeting of our union.

After ward I had a little tim, and there was a model railroad store not far away. Found abucket of detail parts, from old boilers, roof details, some Tichy windows, Walthers smoke stacks, and a few other goodies hidden in the car so my wife doesn't find them.

Edited by - David J Buchholz on 04/18/2018 7:29:36 PM

David J Buchholz
Crew Chief

Posted - 04/15/2018 :  12:08:40 PM  Show Profile  Send David J Buchholz an AOL message  Reply with Quote
As "final" as track plans ever get, Here's the final design which includes a reset of the yard and engine service facilities, to give both more room.

As always, your comments and critiques are welcome.

Edited by - David J Buchholz on 04/18/2018 7:30:29 PM

David J Buchholz
Crew Chief

Posted - 04/16/2018 :  10:38:06 PM  Show Profile  Send David J Buchholz an AOL message  Reply with Quote
The fleet is in. Well, actually it's in resin, but at least it arrived.

The Great Lakes freighter (Langell Boys) and fishing tug are both from Sylvan Scale Models. Artitec imports the 120 ton motorized barge.

You can see the progress of the scene with the Marine Leg Tower in the center, malting house behind that, and the semi-flat building to the right.

Edited by - David J Buchholz on 04/16/2018 10:43:08 PM

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 04/17/2018 :  09:31:32 AM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
David,

Given the space available, your layout offers a lot of operations potential. I like the concept and scenes you are developing.

I have enjoyed watching you build the marine leg and the information accompanying your work, and look forward to your boat construction.

Mike

_______________________________________________________________________________________________
Nobody living can ever stop me, as I go walking that freedom highway -- Woody Guthrie

Frank Palmer
Fireman

Posted - 04/17/2018 :  09:53:25 AM  Show Profile  Visit Frank Palmer's Homepage  Reply with Quote
David, the scene youíre developing is looking great. The marine leg is coming along nicely and the fleet is definitely in. What is a fishing tug? Thatís a new one on me.

David J Buchholz
Crew Chief

Posted - 04/17/2018 :  10:24:31 AM  Show Profile  Send David J Buchholz an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Thanks to all of you on the forum that have shown continued interest beyond my Van Gogh cloud painting era.

Frank, unique to the Great Lakes was the form of boat used for commercial fishing fleets. They are unlike the lobster and clam boats that we get accustomed to viewing, in that they are usually enclosed, and seemingly very few had masts like a traditional trawler.

Oddly they were not referred to as a fishing "boat". That seemed reserved for small non-commercial boats. Many shipyards produced tug boats for the Great Lakes. Many of those hulls were finished as or converted afterward for fishing. So I suspect the word "fishing" was added to the name, to differentiate the final purpose of the tug hull.

From Sylvan, the "tug"came with three different versions of the pilot house. One of them may very well get retrofitted to the Langell Boys, to the replace the open wheel house. Over the years, the Langell Boys had been refitted with a different, enclosed wheel house.

Here's a few links for further info and pictures.

http://www.fishtug.com/forums/app.php/gallery?sid=4eb0f2e9499990bf8984ddd739b58517

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fish_tug

Edited by - David J Buchholz on 04/18/2018 7:36:52 PM

Frank Palmer
Fireman

Posted - 04/18/2018 :  09:03:10 AM  Show Profile  Visit Frank Palmer's Homepage  Reply with Quote
If you're fishing in that kind of weather some protection would be necessary. Thanks.

Bernd
Fireman

Posted - 04/18/2018 :  12:47:15 PM  Show Profile  Visit Bernd's Homepage  Reply with Quote
David,

Love those two pictures at the beginning of page 11. It would be neat to animate the tower.

Any answer as to why these giants are not used that much any more? We still need grain.

Bernd

A PESSIMIST sees a dark tunnel
An OPTIMIST sees light at the end of the tunnel
A REALIST sees a freight train
The LOCOMOTIVE ENGINEER sees three idiots standing on the tracks

Page: of 18 Topic Next Topic: HOn3 and HOn30 Lounge  
 New Topic |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-17 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.33 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000