Railroad Line Forums - TT scale Otter Creek Falls Coal & Lumber Rwy
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 6 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 82 ]  [ Total: 88 ]  [ Newest Member: jmart4173 ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Small Scale Model Railroad Forum
 TT scale Otter Creek Falls Coal & Lumber Rwy
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Nantahala Midland V 3.0 Topic Next Topic: Video update on the mine area
Page: of 11

Dutchman
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 10/13/2016 :  08:21:15 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the link, Bernd.

Bruce

Modeling the railroads of the Jersey Highlands in HO and the logging railroads of Pennsylvania in HOn3

Bernd
Fireman

Posted - 10/13/2016 :  09:37:21 AM  Show Profile  Visit Bernd's Homepage  Reply with Quote
@ Rich. The first iteration was great for weight saving but was a bit to flimsy. Since I'm not going to be using it in a modular form I wanted something more substantial nd Ricards method provides that.

@Bruce. WOW, you really must be happy to post six times thanking me for the link.

Bernd

adrian_batey
Fireman

Posted - 10/13/2016 :  6:20:44 PM  Show Profile  Visit adrian_batey's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Just catching up on your progress. nice work on the tie jig and turnouts!

Bernd
Fireman

Posted - 10/13/2016 :  7:28:49 PM  Show Profile  Visit Bernd's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by adrian_batey

Just catching up on your progress. nice work on the tie jig and turnouts!

Hi Adrian,

The only reason you caught up was the fact I moved backwards.

There are no manufacturer's of TT scale turnouts or flex track in Code55 rail, so I'm making my own. That's one of the reasons for not going with the Styrofoam surface. I have a design for some motor activated turnouts and there was no good solid way of mounting under the layout securely. So hopefully this winter I can re-start the layout.

Bernd

Tyson Rayles

Premium Member

Posted - 10/14/2016 :  08:35:36 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Bernd you can glue a piece of 1/4" plywood to the underside of the foam and mount your motor to that. When I used to use motorized remote switches that is what I did and they lasted until I tore the layout down 8 years later.

Mike

Bernd
Fireman

Posted - 10/14/2016 :  11:17:34 AM  Show Profile  Visit Bernd's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Tyson Rayles

Bernd you can glue a piece of 1/4" plywood to the underside of the foam and mount your motor to that. When I used to use motorized remote switches that is what I did and they lasted until I tore the layout down 8 years later.

Tyson,

Unfortunately it's to late. I already did-assembled the module. I did think about your idea though. The foam was/is 2" thick and the way I had built it made it a bit hard to access from underneath. The foam just didn't work for me. I have a tendency to build "heavy" or over engineered.

The motor drive for the turnout I have in mind is going to be totally scratch-built. I'll post that once I get my idea down on solid ground. Right now it's an idea floating around in my mind.

Bernd

Bernd
Fireman

Posted - 10/15/2016 :  3:49:34 PM  Show Profile  Visit Bernd's Homepage  Reply with Quote
In one of the other topics it was mention that I would build a building out of brass so it wouldn't need so much bracing. I mentioned that I had a wooden kit on the way. Ted said it would be my second wood project and he's absolutely correct. Well, the kit arrived today. It's a RsLaser Kit. TT scale. 1:120.

Once I get the Geezer Memorial project done I'll post in the Craftsman section on this build.

What ever you don't hold your breath waiting for me to start it. At my pace I'm afraid you'd turn blue and pass out.

Bernd

quartergauger48
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 10/15/2016 :  10:52:59 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Bernd', Looks like a great kit, and I see the TT scale is not as small as I thought...Good luck with it, and above all, have fun building it'..

Ted

Bernd
Fireman

Posted - 10/16/2016 :  08:51:03 AM  Show Profile  Visit Bernd's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by quartergauger48

Bernd', Looks like a great kit, and I see the TT scale is not as small as I thought...Good luck with it, and above all, have fun building it'..

The camera angle makes it look bigger.

It's a very nice kit. Looks pretty easy to assemble also.

Bernd

Dutchman
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 10/27/2016 :  09:04:36 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Bernd

@Bruce. WOW, you really must be happy to post six times thanking me for the link.

Bernd

Bernd, I belatedly took care of that repetition!

Bruce

Modeling the railroads of the Jersey Highlands in HO and the logging railroads of Pennsylvania in HOn3

Dutchman
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 10/27/2016 :  09:14:22 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That is a neat little structure. Just a little back story here about its designer Paul Templar - or Shamus as he was known here on the Forum.

Paul did an article on scratch building that structure and donated it to the NMRA. It is now in the 'Beginners Section' of the NMRA's Website along with the associated drawings.

Here is the link: http://www.nmra.org/beginner/scratch-build-small-structure

That structure and those drawings were also the basis of a thread that I did here on the Forum called "A Great Scratchbuilding Project for Beginners"

Here is that link, too: http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=7007&whichpage=1

Wow, I can't believe that I did that 12 years ago!

Anyway, I look forward to seeing this kit get built.

Bruce

Bernd
Fireman

Posted - 10/27/2016 :  8:47:02 PM  Show Profile  Visit Bernd's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dutchman

That is a neat little structure. Just a little back story here about its designer Paul Templar - or Shamus as he was known here on the Forum.

Paul did an article on scratch building that structure and donated it to the NMRA. It is now in the 'Beginners Section' of the NMRA's Website along with the associated drawings.

Here is the link: http://www.nmra.org/beginner/scratch-build-small-structure

That structure and those drawings were also the basis of a thread that I did here on the Forum called "A Great Scratchbuilding Project for Beginners"

Here is that link, too: http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=7007&whichpage=1

Wow, I can't believe that I did that 12 years ago!

Anyway, I look forward to seeing this kit get built.

Hey Bruce that's great. Thanks. This sure will be a great help in building it. My plan is to not use the saloon style doors since I want the whole structure to be a repair shop. Those links are great.

As soon as I get those two boxcabs done I plan on starting that kit.

Bernd

TmOn30
Engine Wiper

Posted - 11/05/2016 :  08:41:19 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
So this is where you've been hiding Bernd !!!
Just read the last 8 pages. Man there is nothing you can't do.
Thanks for the tips and hints.
Gum Stump & Snowshoe has been a favourite of mine (one day )
Keep at it

Cheers Tom.

Bernd
Fireman

Posted - 11/05/2016 :  7:58:26 PM  Show Profile  Visit Bernd's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by TmOn30

So this is where you've been hiding Bernd !!!
Just read the last 8 pages. Man there is nothing you can't do.
Thanks for the tips and hints.
Gum Stump & Snowshoe has been a favourite of mine (one day )
Keep at it

Cheers Tom.

Hi Tom.

This is my TT scale hangout. Once I get the HOn30 boxcab's done I plan on rebuilding the Gum Stump and Snowshoe ala Joey Ricard style. I've been following his build of his new portable layout. Since this will be used more as a show layout I need to build it heavier than what I had started out with.

Modeling in TT scale one needs to be inventive. There is very little North American products available in this scale. Much European track and rolling stock is available. I personally don't care for it. So that's why I made aluminum jigs for Code55 rail and using PC board to make turnouts. Much more experimenting to be done. Perhaps one day I'll have a layout built.

Cheers Bernd

Bernd
Fireman

Posted - 01/31/2017 :  11:02:59 AM  Show Profile  Visit Bernd's Homepage  Reply with Quote
In the begining of January I posted in the TT-nut Forum what I plan to do. The Western logging Co. track plan will be the lumber and coal companies engine facilities. I found my coal mine track plan that I modified from either a Model Railroader track plan or one of the track plan books. Here's the plan for this adventure.

The lumber and coal engine facility track plan will be the first to be built. I need some experience in layout building and since this will be almost a flat track plan I think it's a good place to start.

After that section is complete I will move on to the coal mine track plan.

Next will be the logging section.

More in the next post.

Bernd

Page: of 11 Previous Topic: Nantahala Midland V 3.0 Topic Next Topic: Video update on the mine area  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-17 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.59 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000