Railroad Line Forums - TT scale Otter Creek Falls Coal & Lumber Rwy
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 8 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 98 ]  [ Total: 106 ]  [ Newest Member: buc45 ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Small Scale Model Railroad Forum
 TT scale Otter Creek Falls Coal & Lumber Rwy
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Nantahala Midland V 3.0 Topic Next Topic: Video update on the mine area
Page: of 11

Geezer
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 03/18/2016 :  3:08:36 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Bernd - checking in....nice milling work on the turnout jigs....;-)
The new picture shows the amount of time and effort that you put into
your projects.....
About the rock work: I have just returned from a trip to Death Valley California.
Let me tell you that there is "No set way" rocks/mountains/hills should look.
I personally like the way your "brushed" rocks look....there are many pictures on my
web site that depict this sort of rock......Just sayin'
Keep up the good work.....

"You can find my Website & Threads here:"
http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=47229

Bernd
Fireman

Posted - 03/18/2016 :  6:01:56 PM  Show Profile  Visit Bernd's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Geezer

Bernd - checking in....nice milling work on the turnout jigs....;-)
The new picture shows the amount of time and effort that you put into
your projects.....
About the rock work: I have just returned from a trip to Death Valley California.
Let me tell you that there is "No set way" rocks/mountains/hills should look.
I personally like the way your "brushed" rocks look....there are many pictures on my
web site that depict this sort of rock......Just sayin'
Keep up the good work.....

Hey, thanks Geezer, much appreciated for the kind words.

Speaking of the turnout, you'd figure with some of the work I've posted that it would be a simple matter of building a turnout. The one in the picture is either third or fourth try. I had to make a couple of roller gauges to help me get to this point. Sheeeeesh.......

There's a quarry west of me that I've taken pictures of and the strata is pretty horizontal. I've seen some that isn't either.

Just surfed through your site. Nice reference pictures.

As I said progress will be slow. Been working on a couple of motive power projects, both TT and HO. And as we all have, several dozen, yes dozen, projects in the wings.

Again thanks for checking in.

Bernd

BigLars
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 03/18/2016 :  6:06:48 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Nice jigs, the turnout is clever.

Bernd
Fireman

Posted - 03/18/2016 :  9:47:19 PM  Show Profile  Visit Bernd's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by BigLars

Nice jigs, the turnout is clever.

Thanks BigLars.

Using Code50 rail it's hard to use the micro spikes. The wheels in TT will hit the spikes. So I figured I'd make a #4 turnout using the CNC mill. I use my resistance soldering rig to solder the rails. The solder holds much better than spikes too.

Bernd

quartergauger48
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 03/18/2016 :  11:03:04 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Also checking in Bernd'. Nice to see you have been busy'. Nice progress on the tracks and turnout'...Keep going'....and you'll get there'...

Ted

Bernd
Fireman

Posted - 03/19/2016 :  08:18:23 AM  Show Profile  Visit Bernd's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by quartergauger48

Also checking in Bernd'. Nice to see you have been busy'. Nice progress on the tracks and turnout'...Keep going'....and you'll get there'...

Thanks Ted. House projects first or the Boss will have my you know what's and I'll be singing Soprano.

Bernd

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 03/19/2016 :  09:29:56 AM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Bernd,

That turnout looks great. It's like you're re-inventing model railroading from the ground up.

Mike

_______________________________________________________________________________________________
Nobody living can ever stop me, as I go walking that freedom highway -- Woody Guthrie

Bernd
Fireman

Posted - 03/19/2016 :  11:26:15 AM  Show Profile  Visit Bernd's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Michael Hohn

Bernd,

That turnout looks great. It's like you're re-inventing model railroading from the ground up.

Mike

Mike,

Thanks for the compliment. Much appreciated. With TT you kind of have to re-invent since there is next to nothing commercially available for the scale in the US. It's basically nothing more than taking what was used in other scales and applying it to TT scale. TT is a great scale for the DYIer.

Bernd

Bernd
Fireman

Posted - 06/28/2016 :  2:26:52 PM  Show Profile  Visit Bernd's Homepage  Reply with Quote
The last few days I had wanted to do some track work on this module. I got frustrated with it so off I went to see what I could do to improve the quality of the base structure. The all foam just isn't working out for me.

I came across a blog by Marshall Stull (LINK: http://smallmr.com/wordpress/2016/01/ )about designing and building his Free-Mo Modules. Very interesting. I also browsed the N scale Free-Mo site looking for information. Back here on RLF I re-discovered James Koretsky New England Free-mo thread ( LINK: http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=37524 ) More interesting info.

What brought this all about was a thread on the TTnut forum and their TT scale modules that are taken to shows. There's been quite a discussion going on about set up and the pain in the butt it is to align the tracks and keep it level. One reason seems to be that they use just plain foam, because TT stands for "Table Top" they want to stay with the theme of settin up the modules on tables that are uneven and then have to shim the modules for the track to line up. Since I'm probably never going to connect my modules with any of there's I don't find it necessary to build to Free-Mo standards. All I'm looking for is the commonality in module construction. I believe I have found the answers in the links I stated above. Also of help will be Joey Richard's new series of portable layout construction.

So I'm going to redo the base structure out of more durable material then 1/8" underlayment and blue Styrofoam. The track plan will stay the same. At the present I have no idea when I'm going to start this, but I'll be sure to report it here.

Bernd

jbvb
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 06/28/2016 :  3:39:27 PM  Show Profile  Visit jbvb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
A lot depends on how much durability and reliability you want vs. weight and ease of construction. I built my two HO NMRA 2x4 modules to Larry Madson's plans ( http://www.hubdiv.org/docs/HubModuleSpecs_4thEd.pdf ) in 1989 and 1993. I used pine lattice stock for the roadbed (no bulge-itis at the ends). 9" ballasted joiner tracks allow for adjustment and keep the fixed rails safe from rough handling. They aren't the lightest modules, but they've done 8-12 modular setups per year and are starting their trip to Indy (their 6th NTS) as soon as I click Submit.

Bernd
Fireman

Posted - 06/28/2016 :  7:45:04 PM  Show Profile  Visit Bernd's Homepage  Reply with Quote
James,

Thanks for the link to the PDF. Dimensions of lumber for the basic structure are some of the things I'm looking for.

I'm not really building for a Free-Mo configuration. They layout will be more of a portable layout. Basically what I'm looking at is material size and technique of assembly.

At present I have three separate scenes planned. The Gum Stump & Snowshoe will be the first section. I plan on a mining scene and lumber mill scene.

Thanks again for that information. That'll be helpful in configuring the layout.

Bernd

quartergauger48
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 06/28/2016 :  8:10:50 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Good luck with the new plan Bernd'...Will be waiting for updates' & progress reports'..But let's get going on this....I'm not getting any younger'...

Ted

Bernd
Fireman

Posted - 06/29/2016 :  08:13:56 AM  Show Profile  Visit Bernd's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by quartergauger48

Good luck with the new plan Bernd'...Will be waiting for updates' & progress reports'..But let's get going on this....I'm not getting any younger'...

This is just an interim project while I await scale lumber for the Mantua 2-6-6-2T water tender.

I'm not getting any younger either. Just to many projects going at one time.

Bernd

Bernd
Fireman

Posted - 10/11/2016 :  9:03:25 PM  Show Profile  Visit Bernd's Homepage  Reply with Quote
After seeing Joey Ricard's new project, Spruce Coal & Timber - The Diesel Era Layout, I believe I've found how I want to do. Have been following his videos on the new layout build and like what I see. I'll be using ideas from his videos to build the portable layout.

Here's a link to his first video in the series. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6RL4bbIkFBw

Now all I need is to find the time to start it.

Bernd

Edited by - Bernd on 10/11/2016 9:07:50 PM

Pennman
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 10/13/2016 :  08:07:32 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Bernd,

Just stumbled upon this on-going project you are undertaking. I too, will be following along with your progress. Joey's videos are eye candy. Will be looking for an update from you.

Rich

Page: of 11 Previous Topic: Nantahala Midland V 3.0 Topic Next Topic: Video update on the mine area  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-17 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.39 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000