Railroad Line Forums - TT scale Otter Creek Falls Coal & Lumber Rwy
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 2 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 59 ]  [ Total: 61 ]  [ Newest Member: petese505 ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Small Scale Model Railroad Forum
 TT scale Otter Creek Falls Coal & Lumber Rwy
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Nantahala Midland V 3.0 Topic Next Topic: Video update on the mine area
Page: of 11

Tyson Rayles

Premium Member

Posted - 12/01/2015 :  09:38:30 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yeah, in the past when I used those I wire brushed them then put on a heavy coat of latex paint. It looked great and no plaster required. Also it helps to put something under one end so they sit at an angle to the ground as the rock was rarely even with the ground in real life.

Mike

Edited by - Tyson Rayles on 12/01/2015 09:41:19 AM

Bernd
Fireman

Posted - 12/01/2015 :  3:02:38 PM  Show Profile  Visit Bernd's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thanks guys. Here's a couple more pictures. I glued about four layers up. The right was painted with "neutral grey" latex paint thinned with water and slopped on. The whole assembly is not yet glued to the base. I'm still in the experiment stage at this point.

A closer shot.

This morning I slopped on some thinned casting plaster.

Close ups.

Jeff got it right. The article is in the April 81 MR. Gordy also explained that the striations are not perfectly straight. He suggests a wedge under one end. Also the pieces are about 6" wide, then broken in half. The length looks like about 6" from the picture in the article. They were actually nailed together. Wire brushed. Then painted with a latex paint and finished off with either spray paint or brush painting. After looking at the article I became dissatisfied with what I have done. Now I'm tossing around the idea of redoing it.

Bernd

Edited by - Bernd on 02/03/2017 1:09:46 PM

quartergauger48
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 12/01/2015 :  10:22:03 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
No harm in going back to the drawing board Bernd,
I do it all the time. It's the curse of being a
perfectionist. Your not a Virgo by chance'. Virgos are the most afflicted with perfection'..

Ted

Bernd
Fireman

Posted - 12/02/2015 :  08:42:39 AM  Show Profile  Visit Bernd's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by quartergauger48

No harm in going back to the drawing board Bernd,
I do it all the time. It's the curse of being a
perfectionist. Your not a Virgo by chance'. Virgos are the most afflicted with perfection'..

That's a "nope" on either. Not a perfectionist or a Virgo.

I like to do a little better than good enough and I'm a fish.

Bernd

Jeff G
Engine Wiper

Posted - 12/03/2015 :  05:29:03 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Bernd: Before you trash it, maybe a wire brush and/or box cutter to add some more/deeper texture might do the trick. I think your close.

Bernd
Fireman

Posted - 12/03/2015 :  7:54:54 PM  Show Profile  Visit Bernd's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Jeff G

Bernd: Before you trash it, maybe a wire brush and/or box cutter to add some more/deeper texture might do the trick. I think your close.

Discovered the camera was quite set up right for white balance and a few other settings. Plus I needed to use a tripod. Still I'm not satisfied with the out come. Doesn't look very natural to me. Glad I don't have it glued down.

First an over all picture.

Four close ups. It just doesn't cut it in my eyes.

Back to hardscaping 101.

Bernd

Edited by - Bernd on 02/03/2017 1:11:15 PM

Bernd
Fireman

Posted - 02/05/2016 :  4:20:07 PM  Show Profile  Visit Bernd's Homepage  Reply with Quote
This project has been held up for the lack of Code55 rail flex track for TT gauge. What to do. Easy. Make my own. With the resin track sections the part of the problem was cured. What about plain straight track? Well Came up with a jig from a picture I saw on one of the forums. Little did I know Fast Tracks had jig like this, except it was the wrong gauge. So I made my own with an added feature.

On the other side I milled in a tie spacing jig. The ties are spaced 21" on center. A prototypical tie spacing for the main line.

The jig filled with ties.

Code55 rail soldered to PC ties. The PC ties are spaced every 5 tie on 21" centers like the wooden ties.

A three foot section

A 3 foot section, it's not glued down. Just want to see how it turns out.

But I also needed turnouts, Code55 number 4's. Again I made my own.

Here's the procedure. In a CAD program draw up a turnout of the frog angle you need and draw the proper length ties in.

Next, import it into CamBam to produce the cut path and generate the G-code. First the cut paths.

Next the G-code is generated from the cut path.

The G-code is then loaded into the mills controlling computer and the run button is pushed. This is the end result.

I now have enough turnouts for laying the track on the module.

Next up. Some fixtures/jigs to make the frogs all the same.

Bernd

Edited by - Bernd on 02/03/2017 1:12:49 PM

jbvb
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 02/05/2016 :  7:50:07 PM  Show Profile  Visit jbvb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Nice milling, but I don't think I've ever seen, in person or in a picture, ties cut on an angle like that.

Bernd
Fireman

Posted - 02/05/2016 :  8:38:35 PM  Show Profile  Visit Bernd's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by jbvb

Nice milling, but I don't think I've ever seen, in person or in a picture, ties cut on an angle like that.

Absolutely true, but they are not at an angle on the finished product. It's the way I drew them in the CAD program. The final cut is to cut the ties to proper width which takes care of the angle on the end. Also note that the angle is between the ties.

Here's a close up of the finished product.

Some times you have to do funny things in one program to compensate for things in another program. As long as the end product turns out OK. That's all that matters.

Bernd

Edited by - Bernd on 02/03/2017 1:13:23 PM

quartergauger48
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 02/05/2016 :  10:25:06 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Nice to see some progress on the Otter Creek Falls Coal & Lumber Rwy. Bernd'.
I wonder once those turnouts are tracked if those angles would be at all noticeable.
I'v never seen an actual TT scale layout. So this will be interesting as you go along'.

I must really be getting old fast, As I have always been a very observant individual
until I joined the forum that is. I sure didn't see those angles until JBVB, mentioned them'.
Boy he's got great eyesight'.

Ted

Bernd
Fireman

Posted - 02/05/2016 :  10:34:35 PM  Show Profile  Visit Bernd's Homepage  Reply with Quote
If you real close you'll notice that the angles are on the spaces between the ties and not the actual ties themselves. The CAD drawing is deceiving. The lines with the angles are actually the spaces between the ties.

Bernd

quartergauger48
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 02/05/2016 :  11:06:22 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Like I said, me and my eyes are getting old'...
So I'll never make a good rivet counter'..

Ted

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 02/06/2016 :  08:06:56 AM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Bernd,

I don't think there us anything you cannot do on your milling machine. It's interesting seeing you come up with solutions. Really good work.

Mike

_______________________________________________________________________________________________
Nobody living can ever stop me, as I go walking that freedom highway -- Woody Guthrie

Bernd
Fireman

Posted - 02/06/2016 :  10:44:54 AM  Show Profile  Visit Bernd's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Michael Hohn

Bernd,

I don't think there us anything you cannot do on your milling machine. It's interesting seeing you come up with solutions. Really good work.

Mike

Thank you Mike. I appreciate the compliment. This just my way of sharing information and techniques. I just hope it isn't to over whelming and people don't get turned off by it.

Bernd

Bernd
Fireman

Posted - 03/18/2016 :  2:55:51 PM  Show Profile  Visit Bernd's Homepage  Reply with Quote
It's been a bit since I last did anything on the module. After I made the straight track jig I was busy making a bunch for the TT scale modelers. They are a available through Clover House. After that I worked on making the turnout jigs using PC boards. After a couple of attempts I finally got a good one. It was built on a piece of Homasote. There's more developing that needs to be done to make it a functional.

A quick picture of the turnout temporarily mounted on the module.

Progress has been slow on this module and probably will be with summer projects coming up out doors.

Bernd

Page: of 11 Previous Topic: Nantahala Midland V 3.0 Topic Next Topic: Video update on the mine area  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-17 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.5 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000