Railroad Line Forums - TT scale Otter Creek Falls Coal & Lumber Rwy
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 4 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 95 ]  [ Total: 99 ]  [ Newest Member: LongHornCaddy2 ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Small Scale Model Railroad Forum
 TT scale Otter Creek Falls Coal & Lumber Rwy
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Nantahala Midland V 3.0 Topic Next Topic: Video update on the mine area
Page: of 11

Dutchman
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 11/12/2015 :  09:15:39 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Bernd, any idea of how your handmade spikes compare to the Micro Engineering Micro Spike that are 3/16ths long?

I have used them on Code 55 track.

Bruce

Modeling the railroads of the Jersey Highlands in HO and the logging railroads of Pennsylvania in HOn3

jbvb
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 11/12/2015 :  09:38:44 AM  Show Profile  Visit jbvb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Given a sturdy enough lever-action vise, it might be possible to make a jig: Two holes, one deep enough to make a head, the other large enough for the head and the depth of the whole spike. Then form the head with a hammer blow.

Bernd
Fireman

Posted - 11/12/2015 :  11:58:11 AM  Show Profile  Visit Bernd's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dutchman

Bernd, any idea of how your handmade spikes compare to the Micro Engineering Micro Spike that are 3/16ths long?

I have used them on Code 55 track.

I just happen to have some very old Micro spikes on hand. These have to be 30 years or older. Micro Engineering makes Micro Spikes as does Micro Mark. Micro Mark says their micro spikes are for Code83. Hard to tell from the picture. I also read somewhere that Proto87 store sells micro spikes, but didn't find any. I think this was one of the reasons for finding another method of securing track to ties, such as glue or PC ties spaced along with wooden ties in the small rail sizes.

Here's a comparison of a PB wire formed spike versus a micro spike. They all almost identical in diameter.

Here's two micro spikes next to two PB wire spikes in wooden ties. The micro spike seems to have a larger head on it than the PB spike.

I dumped a bunch of micro spikes out on the bench. I noticed that I have two different lengths. A closer look with a magnifying glass shows the micro spikes are not that well formed. I guess you could pick out the better shaped ones to use.

I think I'll stick with making my own spikes using the PB wire. I don't need to hand lay 2 scale miles (88 real feet in TT scale) of track. Also the holding power once a hole is poked into the wood isn't that great. I haven't tried wooden ties on cork road bed yet. The spikes might hold better in that. Looks like another test needs to be preformed.

Bernd

Edited by - Bernd on 02/03/2017 1:06:41 PM

Bernd
Fireman

Posted - 11/12/2015 :  12:09:06 PM  Show Profile  Visit Bernd's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by jbvb

Given a sturdy enough lever-action vise, it might be possible to make a jig: Two holes, one deep enough to make a head, the other large enough for the head and the depth of the whole spike. Then form the head with a hammer blow.

I was thinking two halves of a steel block with a V groove's milled to 3/16" length or whatever length spike you want. The groove would be about .010" to .015" deep for a .020" dia. wire. Bend over the ends sticking out and then "whack" with a hammer.

Now that I have the air spindle finally mounted on the mill I may just give it a try.

Mill with air spindle attachment.

The cutters.

Bernd

Edited by - Bernd on 02/03/2017 1:08:05 PM

Dutchman
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 11/12/2015 :  12:44:31 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Bernd

A closer look with a magnifying glass shows the micro spikes are not that well formed. I guess you could pick out the better shaped ones to use.

Bernd

Bernd, I know what you mean. Some have malformed heads and some have no heads at all.

Bruce

Modeling the railroads of the Jersey Highlands in HO and the logging railroads of Pennsylvania in HOn3

Bill Gill
Fireman

Posted - 11/12/2015 :  1:45:41 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Bernd, Thanks for the follow up info on making spikes. Looks like that will workfor what I want if can drill small enough hole through tie, Homasote & 1/2 in. plywood.

Here's link to the Proto 87 spikes http://www.proto87.com/product1908.html

jbvb
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 11/12/2015 :  4:06:02 PM  Show Profile  Visit jbvb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I had success drilling through wood ties into Homasote for ME 'Micro' spikes. I wouldn't expect much holding power from wood ties over foam.

Bernd
Fireman

Posted - 11/12/2015 :  6:31:02 PM  Show Profile  Visit Bernd's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Bill Gill

Bernd, Thanks for the follow up info on making spikes. Looks like that will workfor what I want if can drill small enough hole through tie, Homasote & 1/2 in. plywood.

Here's link to the Proto 87 spikes http://www.proto87.com/product1908.html

You're welcome.

I'd go with 1/16" dia. drill. I would think anything smaller would break to easy trying to go through all that material.

Thanks for the link. I don't think they'll work. Way to short I would imagine.

Bernd

Bernd
Fireman

Posted - 11/12/2015 :  6:32:36 PM  Show Profile  Visit Bernd's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by jbvb

I had success drilling through wood ties into Homasote for ME 'Micro' spikes. I wouldn't expect much holding power from wood ties over foam.

There isn't much holding power. The spikes will keep the rack from back & forth movement, but not up and down. I'm going to have to cork underlayment a try.

Bernd

Bernd
Fireman

Posted - 11/19/2015 :  11:31:41 AM  Show Profile  Visit Bernd's Homepage  Reply with Quote
As I was working on this module I realized I'd never done any scenery. So I'm going to use my mini-diorama I had started this past year to practice scenery techniques. I've written up my escapades here: http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=46351

Bernd

Edited by - Bernd on 11/19/2015 11:32:49 AM

Geezer
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 11/19/2015 :  7:15:07 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Bernd - finally catching up on this thread.
Much Imagineering goes on just as much engineering too!
Grades: I had 8% on a switchback and didn't have a bit
of trouble with the SHAY's or Climax engines - the smaller
Gas mech's would make it but not with cars coupled.
Question on the hand made PB spikes: do they sit flat
enough so the flange of the cars/loco's pass over them?
Glad to have found this thread & will try to keep up.
Great idea....great job.

"You can find my Website & Threads here:"
http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=47229

Bernd
Fireman

Posted - 11/20/2015 :  09:42:35 AM  Show Profile  Visit Bernd's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Geezer

Question on the hand made PB spikes: do they sit flat
enough so the flange of the cars/loco's pass over them?
Glad to have found this thread & will try to keep up.
Great idea....great job.

Hey Geezer,

You can flatten them enough so they don't hit. You can even leave them a bit off 90 so they match the angle of the base of the rail. It gets to a bit of a pain though having to make a large number of the spikes. I have an idea for a jig to make multiples at a time, but don't want to spend the time right now to make one. I'll do that when I get to the trestle that will need to be built.

Thanks for stopping in and the kind words of encouragement.

Bernd

Bernd
Fireman

Posted - 11/30/2015 :  12:18:06 PM  Show Profile  Visit Bernd's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I had a bit of modeling ambition this morning. Here is what I did.

Way back when, in one of the leading modeling magazines there was an article on using ceiling tail for stratified rock formation. Having some leftover tiles from a project I thought I'd give it a try.

I did a small sample to see how it would work out. I stacked and glued four pieces and waited a day for the glue to dry. This morning I "slapped" some colored soupy casting plaster. The results are shown below. Still needs some scribed lines yet.

I started to stack and glue loose pieces on the module.

These are the ceiling tiles I used. They come in 2 feet by 4 feet. The one in the picture is a cut off piece.

Stay tuned more to come.

Bernd

Edited by - Bernd on 02/03/2017 1:08:42 PM

Jeff G
Engine Wiper

Posted - 11/30/2015 :  8:05:19 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
April 81 MR, IIRC, by JIm Kelly. Seems like yesterday. Anyway, these are looking great, Bernd.

HobbyDr
Engine Wiper

Posted - 12/01/2015 :  08:38:20 AM  Show Profile  Visit HobbyDr's Homepage  Reply with Quote
In 1968, Car Model Magazine did the same thing with the scenery of their HO scale Scottsboro Raceway. Only, after gluing the stack, they ran a heavy-duty wire brush through the strata. It gave a most convincing effect, and no plaster was needed.

Don

Visit HobbyDr's Workbench http://hobbydr.blogspot.com/

Page: of 11 Previous Topic: Nantahala Midland V 3.0 Topic Next Topic: Video update on the mine area  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-17 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.31 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000