Railroad Line Forums - TT scale Otter Creek Falls Coal & Lumber Rwy
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 10 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 81 ]  [ Total: 91 ]  [ Newest Member: Deano ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Small Scale Model Railroad Forum
 TT scale Otter Creek Falls Coal & Lumber Rwy
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: DPM Corner Apothecary - (another) Kitbash Topic Next Topic: NNY RR
Page: of 11

Bernd
Fireman

Posted - 10/29/2015 :  10:31:30 PM  Show Profile  Visit Bernd's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by adrian_batey

Hi Bernd, Looks like really nice module your building. Ive seen this layout plan a few time by different people. have fought about trying it in hon3 as a module i can use to get between two different levels and extend my main line run.

Anyway looking forward to see it come to life.

Hi Adrian,

Nice to see you back posting. Nice home you have there. Looks like it will be a great enjoyment.

I think trying it in HOn3 would be a great idea. I was going to use it for my HOn30 tram line but it didn't make any sense. And why TT scale? I like a challenge. There's a couple of others scattered through out the USA and Canada, plus in Europe that model in TT. We're trying to bring TT back as a viable scale between N and HO. I thought a test layout would help, plus I like logging and mining type layouts.

I'm looking forward to brining it to life. Thanks for stopping in.

Bernd

Dutchman
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 10/30/2015 :  08:36:43 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Bernd

Comes out to a 9.09% grade.

I think that was the grade on the hill that Sisyphus was condemned to roll his rock up for eternity. A little known fact.

Bruce

Modeling the railroads of the Jersey Highlands in HO and the logging railroads of Pennsylvania in HOn3

Bernd
Fireman

Posted - 10/30/2015 :  7:16:42 PM  Show Profile  Visit Bernd's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dutchman

quote:

I think that was the grade on the hill that Sisyphus was condemned to roll his rock up for eternity. A little known fact.

I'm going to have to go and Google that.

I think I've got the transition worked out pretty good.

Right now I'm waiting on some Smooth-On 305 resin to cast some track sections for code 55 rail. In the meantime I'm working on getting some log bunk buggies built. A member on MRH gave me a link to an HOn30 site that has drawings and instructions on scratchbuilding HOn30 log buggies. Size wise they are close to TT scale. I'm going to make them out of brass for weight. Here's the link: http://www.hon30.org/disconnect-log-cars/

Bernd

Bernd
Fireman

Posted - 10/30/2015 :  7:25:16 PM  Show Profile  Visit Bernd's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

Ok, so my little to be Climax will be eternally pushing log buggies up the hill only to have them roll back down again?

How sad.

Bernd

Neil M
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 10/30/2015 :  8:58:08 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

quote:

Ok, so my little to be Climax will be eternally pushing log buggies up the hill only to have them roll back down again?

How sad.

Bernd

I think the term normally used in model rail operations is 're-staged'

Built a waterfront HO layout in Ireland http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=22161 but now making a start in On30 in Australia

adrian_batey
Fireman

Posted - 10/31/2015 :  6:58:08 PM  Show Profile  Visit adrian_batey's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Bernd, was thinking about your little layout a bit last night. Im basically in a position where i need to determine if i model ho or hon3. more of a cost thing after the new house build. Anyway i had an idea to use this track plan to build an end of the line module. a little hard to explain but when looking at the plan i wanted to add a small yard on the right top level and then in theory the lower level would access a wharf and log dump for a mill. basically attempting to add length and interest to the operations. I think i would be pusing it a little using no6 turnouts but maybe if i could manage to afford dual gauge it would be even more fun.

Anyway keep up the TT modelling. I remember seeing a few TT layouts at shows here from time to time.

Bernd
Fireman

Posted - 10/31/2015 :  8:25:37 PM  Show Profile  Visit Bernd's Homepage  Reply with Quote
You know Adrian you can lengthen the layout to 8 feet or even 10 to 12 feet if you have the room. I'd go with No.5 turnouts if you stretch the layout longer. I've got a whole write up here: http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=43142

I'd say if you go with HO I'd make it 12 feet long. You won't wind up with a steep grade. If HOn3 I say maybe 8 feet long. Adding to this layout has possibilities also. I see at least 4 places to add another module (layout element) to the original layout.

It's sort of fun modeling in a scale that isn't very popular by today's standard. But then I like to scratchbuild. Maybe that's why I'm doing this in TT.

Bernd

Jeff G
Engine Wiper

Posted - 11/01/2015 :  06:35:14 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Bernd. I just remembered that the August '82 "Model Railroader" had an article about how a hobby shop built a version of the GS&S in the store and they added two extensions to it. The track plan is included. Happy to scan it and send it to you.

Bernd
Fireman

Posted - 11/01/2015 :  08:40:39 AM  Show Profile  Visit Bernd's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hi Jeff,

Thanks for the offer. I have that issue. Interesting to note that the layout was built by Hobby Lobby. Didn't even know what that was back then. Never had any stores in the area. Have one now but it's about 40 miles north of me.

Some great ideas in the extensions. It's already giving me some more ideas for extensions.

Thanks for the great find and posting it. Perhaps it'll motivate some modeler in building something similar.

Bernd

Edited by - Bernd on 11/01/2015 08:52:38 AM

Jeff G
Engine Wiper

Posted - 11/01/2015 :  10:03:00 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I wonder if that's the same Hobby Lobby that's the chain. Maybe that store predates the franchise. Looking forward to the progress. Have a great day!

Edited by - Jeff G on 11/01/2015 10:04:29 AM

Bernd
Fireman

Posted - 11/05/2015 :  08:27:22 AM  Show Profile  Visit Bernd's Homepage  Reply with Quote
NEWS FLASH

Otter Creek Falls Coal & Lumber Rwy, first run up a 9% grade with a 10" radius S curve using an SW1200 from MTB, pushing a 40' boxcar from Gold Coast at 4 volts plain DC.

They said it couldn't be done. REALLY?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BpdyT_IomQg&feature=youtu.be

Yes REALLY!!!

Details at 11:00

Bernd

Jeff G
Engine Wiper

Posted - 11/05/2015 :  08:36:34 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Excellent! Bodes well for my el/subway plan where I have a couple of ramps that have a 9% grade, one of which is on a pretty sharp curve as well. Go Bernd!.

George D

Premium Member

Posted - 11/05/2015 :  08:57:12 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That looks like a smooth running operation, Bern. I turned the volume up and it doesn't sound like the foam base transmits much running noise.

George

Bernd
Fireman

Posted - 11/05/2015 :  4:40:55 PM  Show Profile  Visit Bernd's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Jeff G

Excellent! Bodes well for my el/subway plan where I have a couple of ramps that have a 9% grade, one of which is on a pretty sharp curve as well. Go Bernd!.

Glad the info translates across scale lines. Good luck with your project.

Bernd

Bernd
Fireman

Posted - 11/05/2015 :  4:45:33 PM  Show Profile  Visit Bernd's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by George D

That looks like a smooth running operation, Bern. I turned the volume up and it doesn't sound like the foam base transmits much running noise.

George

The engine runs pretty good just on plain DC. They are as quite as a Kato drive. Also there is 3/16" thick cork between the resin track and foam. I'm going to just put the track sections on the foam and see if there is any increase in noise. All what you see is only temporarily placed and pinned down with T pins and regular pins to hold it in place. I didn't want to glue everything and then find out it was going to work. I would have hated to tear it up. Would have made a mess of it.

I'll do more of a write up when I get to permanently glue everything in place.

Bernd

Page: of 11 Previous Topic: DPM Corner Apothecary - (another) Kitbash Topic Next Topic: NNY RR  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-17 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.36 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000