Railroad Line Forums - TT scale Otter Creek Falls Coal & Lumber Rwy
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 0 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 95 ]  [ Total: 95 ]  [ Newest Member: Traintinker ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Small Scale Model Railroad Forum
 TT scale Otter Creek Falls Coal & Lumber Rwy
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Lake Superior Railroad Museum N-Scale Layout video Topic Next Topic: Video update on the mine area
Page: of 11

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 10/24/2015 :  6:27:47 PM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Bernd,

Somebody's got to say it, so I will: a classic switching layout.

A member of our local club built one to take to NMRA meets. If I recall correctly, my sole contribution was painting a backdrop using an approach the lag Andy Sperandeo published. My friend sold it eventually.

That's quite a grade which could be reduced some for TT, but if you're going to operate Shays you could make it even steeper.

A fun project in any case.

Mike

_______________________________________________________________________________________________
Nobody living can ever stop me, as I go walking that freedom highway -- Woody Guthrie

Bernd
Fireman

Posted - 10/24/2015 :  8:09:57 PM  Show Profile  Visit Bernd's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Michael Hohn

Bernd,

Somebody's got to say it, so I will: a classic switching layout.

A member of our local club built one to take to NMRA meets. If I recall correctly, my sole contribution was painting a backdrop using an approach the lag Andy Sperandeo published. My friend sold it eventually.

That's quite a grade which could be reduced some for TT, but if you're going to operate Shays you could make it even steeper.

A fun project in any case.

Mike

Yes it is a classic.

The grade won't be as steep as it looks on the drawing. I'll be using the HO scale size version on the layout. In TT scale it would be 9" wide by 52" long since TT is 72.5% of HO size.

The fun part will be building the Class A Climax in TT scale. IIRC it'll be about 4" long. Been working on the first set of wheels. That'll be another write up.

Bernd

A PESSIMIST sees a dark tunnel
An OPTIMIST sees light at the end of the tunnel
A REALIST sees a freight train
The LOCOMOTIVE ENGINEER sees three idiots standing on the tracks

Bernd
Fireman

Posted - 10/25/2015 :  12:46:26 PM  Show Profile  Visit Bernd's Homepage  Reply with Quote
More progress. This morning I started to layout the track. I used strips of cork cut to half the width of TT scale ties. I made a jig from some scraps of the ply used to make the frame.

Using the jig and a very sharp utility knife I made shallow cuts until I was through the 1/8" thick cork.

The bottom side of the jig plus a piece of cork strip .430" wide.

I started with the section that'll climb to the logging camp.

The curve I came up with was to gentle and probably won't have given me much room on the tail tracks. So I made a template out of cardboard with a 10" radius. Much better.

Wanting to see how the height will work out I used two 2" thick pieces for the logging camp area. The switch back will use one 2" piece. Looks like the grades are going to be steep. IIRC the Cass Railroads last grade was at 13%. I'll have to look that up to verify. I've got a picture of it some where in my slide collection. If I ever find it I'll post it.

That's it for now. I'm going to sit and dream a while about what the finished layout will look like.

Bernd

leeflan
Fireman

Posted - 10/25/2015 :  5:38:41 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Wow! That's shaping up nicely, Bernd. And yes, the G&S is really a classic track plan from so many years ago. I must say, though, I'm envious that you can get the blue foam at Lowe's. My local Lowe's (10 mi. R/T) can't get it and the nearest source is over 300 mi. R/T.

Steve

George D

Premium Member

Posted - 10/25/2015 :  8:20:15 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Bernd, I'm just getting caught up with your thread. I've only seen one example of the Gum Stump & Snowshoe and it was HO scale with a steep grade. It'll be interesting to see your's come together.

Great idea for the jig for cutting cork.

George

Bernd
Fireman

Posted - 10/25/2015 :  9:00:45 PM  Show Profile  Visit Bernd's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by leeflan

Wow! That's shaping up nicely, Bernd. And yes, the G&S is really a classic track plan from so many years ago. I must say, though, I'm envious that you can get the blue foam at Lowe's. My local Lowe's (10 mi. R/T) can't get it and the nearest source is over 300 mi. R/T.

Steve

Thanks Steve.

It's not really blue it's more of a green/blue. Lowe's should carry some kind of foam. It doesn't have to be the same color or thickness. Are there any lumber stores in the area? They may carry it or something close to it.

Bernd

Bernd
Fireman

Posted - 10/25/2015 :  9:08:43 PM  Show Profile  Visit Bernd's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by George D

Bernd, I'm just getting caught up with your thread. I've only seen one example of the Gum Stump & Snowshoe and it was HO scale with a steep grade. It'll be interesting to see your's come together.

Great idea for the jig for cutting cork.

George

It is rather in an odd scale, but I'd like to see TT scale on the map again. With the smaller motors available today and the plastic injection molded cars such as in HO, I think it could make a comeback like S scale has. Trouble is there's sort of a catch 22 here. Very little North American product which means much scratcbuilding. So not to many model in this scale which means not many customers to make a product viable. Got to start somewhere though.

It'll be interesting to see if I can pull it off. I may need a kick in the seat once in a while if I seem to be slowing down to much.

That jig worked out pretty good. Still had to fasten down the cork in several places because it wanted to move. But taking light cuts makes for a good straight cut piece.

Bernd

Bernd
Fireman

Posted - 10/26/2015 :  9:04:26 PM  Show Profile  Visit Bernd's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Finally figured out how to do the curved grade section. I was scratching my head wondering how I was going to get a nice smooth curve and grade up 2".

I put a piece of paper under where the track is going to be and drew some lines following the cork roadbed.

Cut out the traced part and placed on a piece of 2"thick foam. Drew some freehand lines.

Cut out the contour on a bandsaw.

Next head scratcher was getting a smooth grade from 2" down to 0" near the turnout. A piece of cork makes for a nice flexible tool to be able to draw a grade on the side of the foam.

Back to the bandsaw to cut the grade.

Not quite good enough. Going to have to try that again tomorrow. Enough for tonight.

Bernd

George D

Premium Member

Posted - 10/26/2015 :  10:46:22 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Any idea of what the grade percentage is?

George

quartergauger48
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 10/26/2015 :  11:00:03 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hang in there Bernd', You'll get it sooner rather then later...

Ted

Jeff G
Engine Wiper

Posted - 10/27/2015 :  05:55:53 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Shaping up to be a dandy of a layout, Bernd. Jealous of your workshop; I have a small spare room in an apartment! Anyway, I'm following closely.

Bernd
Fireman

Posted - 10/27/2015 :  09:10:02 AM  Show Profile  Visit Bernd's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by George D

Any idea of what the grade percentage is?

George

No, but I'm sure I can figure it out. Now where's my calculator?

Edited to Add: That was easy. Wiki had a calculator. So it's 100 X 2" rise divided by 22" run. Comes out to a 9.09% grade. Not bad. I discovered that the Cass Scenic Railroad had on spot that was 8.7%. So I'm close to being prototypical.

Bernd

Edited by - Bernd on 10/27/2015 09:30:55 AM

Bernd
Fireman

Posted - 10/27/2015 :  09:11:11 AM  Show Profile  Visit Bernd's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by quartergauger48

Hang in there Bernd', You'll get it sooner rather then later...

I was just in a hurry Ted. Was anxious to see what it will look like.

Bernd

Bernd
Fireman

Posted - 10/27/2015 :  09:15:38 AM  Show Profile  Visit Bernd's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Jeff G

Shaping up to be a dandy of a layout, Bernd. Jealous of your workshop; I have a small spare room in an apartment! Anyway, I'm following closely.

Thanks Jeff. My whole basement is my workshop. Trouble is over half of it is filled with "treasures" I just can't part with.

You don't need a bansaw to do what I did. You can use a hot wire cutter on the foam. Less noise too. May smell a little of melted plastic though.

Bernd

adrian_batey
Fireman

Posted - 10/29/2015 :  5:32:27 PM  Show Profile  Visit adrian_batey's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hi Bernd, Looks like really nice module your building. Ive seen this layout plan a few time by different people. have fought about trying it in hon3 as a module i can use to get between two different levels and extend my main line run.

Anyway looking forward to see it come to life.

Modeling the Northern Pacific Yacolt Branch
https://yacoltbranch.blogspot.com.au/

Page: of 11 Previous Topic: Lake Superior Railroad Museum N-Scale Layout video Topic Next Topic: Video update on the mine area  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-17 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.39 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000