Railroad Line Forums - TT scale Otter Creek Falls Coal & Lumber Rwy
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 7 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 116 ]  [ Total: 123 ]  [ Newest Member: Bigbandito ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Small Scale Model Railroad Forum
 TT scale Otter Creek Falls Coal & Lumber Rwy
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Wild Horse Island Railroad Topic Next Topic: Nantahala Midland V 3.0
Page: of 23

George D

Premium Member

Posted - 02/09/2019 :  9:55:42 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Nice sturdy tool, Bernd.

George

Frank Palmer
Fireman

Posted - 02/10/2019 :  09:39:53 AM  Show Profile  Visit Frank Palmer's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Don't you just love it when beta testing proves you were right.

Edited by - Frank Palmer on 02/10/2019 09:40:31 AM

Carl B
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 02/10/2019 :  10:55:37 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Nice job Bernd. I really like the idea of holding two blades at one time.

It's a bit difficult to see from the angle of the picture, but would you say the cut itself has met your expectations?

Edited by - Carl B on 02/10/2019 10:56:07 AM

Bernd
Fireman

Posted - 02/10/2019 :  12:56:24 PM  Show Profile  Visit Bernd's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Michael Hohn

Bernd,

Impressive. It looks much more substantial than the usual model.

Donít forget the sticker warning the user that the blade is sharp.

Mike

Thanks Mike. Yes it's quite substantial. Wife always accused me of over engineering everything I do.

About that sticker. Care to print me up a few? I'll need them when I go into production in the year of the Dragon.

Bernd

Bernd
Fireman

Posted - 02/10/2019 :  12:57:32 PM  Show Profile  Visit Bernd's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by George D

Nice sturdy tool, Bernd.

George

Thanks George. As I told Mike, wife always says I over build/engineer everything.

Bernd

Bernd
Fireman

Posted - 02/10/2019 :  12:59:10 PM  Show Profile  Visit Bernd's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Frank Palmer

Don't you just love it when beta testing proves you were right.

Well, I guess it comes from have a mechanical interest since I was knee high to a grasshopper.

Bernd

Bernd
Fireman

Posted - 02/10/2019 :  1:13:06 PM  Show Profile  Visit Bernd's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Carl B

Nice job Bernd. I really like the idea of holding two blades at one time.

It's a bit difficult to see from the angle of the picture, but would you say the cut itself has met your expectations?

Thanks Carl B. Much appreciated. The two blade idea kind of just happened. My idea was to be able to use the whole blade. The Chopper doesn't allow you to position the blade to a new cutting edge. Unfortunately I put the pivot point on the handle to far forward. I'll live with that for now. My main concern was getting a tool to do some board by board construction as soon as possible. You guys inspired me to try board by board. I'm still going to try and duplicate the Shay/Calabrie cutter.

The cuts are almost square. There is still some taper to the wood due to the fact this is a chopping cut, not a slicing cut. I don't think a picture can show that. It came to with in 99% of expectations if I had to put a value on it.

I did add the washer to keep the handle nice and square to the cutting surface and a stop. I screwed a piece of thin (1/32"thick) steal sheet to the top and use a hook scale held by a neodymium magnet. The magnet seems to do a pretty good job. I may use a larger one if this doesn't work up to holding the stop.

Bernd

Bernd
Fireman

Posted - 02/10/2019 :  1:31:18 PM  Show Profile  Visit Bernd's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Here you go Carl B. I took a close up. These were cut with a new razor blade.

Bernd

Edited by - Bernd on 02/11/2019 2:02:24 PM

Carl B
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 02/10/2019 :  5:32:24 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Bernd. Those cuts look really nice!
Appreciate your efforts.

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 02/10/2019 :  7:08:00 PM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Bernd,

Youíre getting the straightest cuts Iíve seen from a chopper. For most projects those cuts would be more than acceptable. For the remaining 1%, cleanup would be a quick operation.

Mike

_______________________________________________________________________________________________
Nobody living can ever stop me, as I go walking that freedom highway -- Woody Guthrie

Bernd
Fireman

Posted - 02/11/2019 :  2:08:11 PM  Show Profile  Visit Bernd's Homepage  Reply with Quote
You're welcome Carl B. Not to bad looking for 1/4" square piece of basswood.

Mike, I think a lot has to do with making the chopper as ridged as possible, plus supporting the razor blade over it's whole length. I do get a bit of a taper when I cut HO scale 8' X 8" beams and they also need a bit of clean up. All in all I'm pretty satisfied. Somewhere down the line I'll probably build a slicing cutter.

So with the cutter finished I finished the second wall in short order.

Next comes the front and rear.

Bernd

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 02/11/2019 :  2:42:59 PM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Faster now, isnít it? Of course, that was the whole point, wasnít it?

Mike

Bernd
Fireman

Posted - 02/11/2019 :  5:46:03 PM  Show Profile  Visit Bernd's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Michael Hohn

Faster now, isnít it? Of course, that was the whole point, wasnít it?

Mike

Yup, you got that right.

Bill Gill
Fireman

Posted - 02/11/2019 :  9:48:59 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Bernd, you was framed! Looks good.

Edited by - Bill Gill on 02/11/2019 9:49:19 PM

Pennman
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 02/11/2019 :  9:49:34 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Bernd,

Nice work. I'll take mine without the red ribbon and you won't have to wrap it up either, just put a stamp on it and send it along.

Rich

Page: of 23 Previous Topic: Wild Horse Island Railroad Topic Next Topic: Nantahala Midland V 3.0  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-19 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.31 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000