Railroad Line Forums - TT scale Otter Creek Falls Coal & Lumber Rwy
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 3 | Anonymous Members: 1 | Guests: 161 ]  [ Total: 165 ]  [ Newest Member: Jozef ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Small Scale Model Railroad Forum
 TT scale Otter Creek Falls Coal & Lumber Rwy
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Wild Horse Island Railroad Topic Next Topic: Hereford UK in N Gauge
Page: of 19

Bernd
Fireman

Posted - 01/25/2019 :  3:58:26 PM  Show Profile  Visit Bernd's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by railman28

Nice studding.

Thanks Bob. Looks a little sparse to me. It's a bit hard finding proper size lumber. I guess I can't get into the smaller details as much as one can in a larger scale.

Bernd

kingstonemodelworks.com

George D

Premium Member

Posted - 01/25/2019 :  5:32:27 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Clever use of the magnets, Bernd. Thanks for the tip.

George

Bernd
Fireman

Posted - 01/25/2019 :  5:59:14 PM  Show Profile  Visit Bernd's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by George D

Clever use of the magnets, Bernd. Thanks for the tip.

George

You're welcome George. One thing you need to watch out for. The bigger magnets like to grab your tweezers if you get to close to them. I've had to fight the bigger magnets several time to get my tweezers back.

Bernd

kingstonemodelworks.com

Bernd
Fireman

Posted - 01/30/2019 :  7:19:23 PM  Show Profile  Visit Bernd's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Small update. Darryl Huffman had a tip on his thread, FOS Scale DelRito's Meat Products structure build, on using a glue applicator. http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=51335

So I took his advice and went for a search on Amazon.com. I came up with these.

After I purchased them I had an epiphany, why did I order the round ones? They'll roll off the workbench. Guess I'll just have to be careful.

And I'm working on a modified chopper. I think I've discovered why the NWSL chopper cuts a slight angle. I'll revel that when I post a build on my chopper.

So the engine house build is on hold until I get the chopper done. No way am I cutting over 250 individual boards to length without a chopper.

That's it for now.

Bernd

kingstonemodelworks.com

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 01/30/2019 :  7:45:53 PM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Bernd,

I have a couple of the NWSL choppers. I deal with the slight angle a couple of ways. If my stock is a scale 2 to 4 inches in thickness I cut partially through on one side and turn it over to complete the cut. If 6” or more I will cut partially on each side before cutting all the way through. If a very accurate, flat end is needed— such as timbers for framing buildings or for trestles I will cut a little bit long and then use my sander to true up the end. The results are very satisfying.

Many really obsessively good modelers do the thing of cutting slightly oversized and sanding down to length, sometimes a bundle at a time to ensure that all are exactly the same length.

When I’m being really careful cutting multiple pieces from a length of stripwood, I sand one end of the stock, place that end against the stop in my chopper, cut the other end as I described above, and sand it down slightly to the right length.

Mike

_______________________________________________________________________________________________
Nobody living can ever stop me, as I go walking that freedom highway -- Woody Guthrie

Bernd
Fireman

Posted - 01/30/2019 :  10:35:09 PM  Show Profile  Visit Bernd's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Mike,

I have read of those techniques you talked about in the various builds on the forum when those questions arose. I believe I have cured those with my chopper. Only having seen pictures of the choppers and never having seen or touched one in person I believe they are not to rigid. I'll explain when I post the my DYI chopper. Thanks for the tips though. I had been doing just that on the first wall build and was getting a bit disgusted just using a razor blade in a home made handel.

Bernd

kingstonemodelworks.com

Bernd
Fireman

Posted - 02/03/2019 :  3:55:19 PM  Show Profile  Visit Bernd's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Been busy working on my chopper. Have the components made. Just needs a few more holes drilled and finish assembling. That'll take another day or two depending on the Honey Do List.

Here's some pictures of my home made chopper.

The whole think with all the parts.

The two major components that holds the razor blade better than the NWSL Chopper. A clamping plate with a step in it and a step in the blade holder handle.

The razor blades I use have an aluminum back to them. I remove this back support using a #11 chisel in an Xacto knife.

The result is a nice flat blade and parallel back to the blade edge.

This gets clamped between the blade handle and clamp plate.

Two 4-40 screws hold the clamp plate (behind the blade handle) giving full blade support. The blade sticks out 5/32" to allow the cutting of 1/4" lumber.

The blade can easily be adjust back and forth over it's whole length to present a new cutting edge. This gives full use of the blade before having to change to a new one.

How this all works will become more evident as the chopper nears completion.

Bernd

kingstonemodelworks.com

Carl B
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 02/03/2019 :  5:40:09 PM  Show Profile  Visit Carl B's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I'm eager to see how this turns out.

Frank Palmer
Fireman

Posted - 02/03/2019 :  6:06:39 PM  Show Profile  Visit Frank Palmer's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hey Bernd hurry up - chop chop.

Pennman
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 02/03/2019 :  11:50:46 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey Bernd,
Can you make a few more of these choppers?
We'ed all like one come next Christmas !! Hint..hint..

Rich

George D

Premium Member

Posted - 02/04/2019 :  09:21:03 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
An interesting project, Bernd. I'm anxious to see how the finished chopper looks.

George

Bernd
Fireman

Posted - 02/04/2019 :  09:35:28 AM  Show Profile  Visit Bernd's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thanks for checking in guys. Much appreciated.

Rich, Santa will have to check the "Who's naughty & nice list" this year.

I'm hoping, and if all goes well, that I'll have it done by this coming weekend.

Bernd

kingstonemodelworks.com

Bernd
Fireman

Posted - 02/06/2019 :  09:36:49 AM  Show Profile  Visit Bernd's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Well, Murphy snuck in this morning and screwed up my support pillars for the chopper. I forgot to tighten down the guill and the end mill decided to take more off than I wanted. So back to the beginning. Looks like it won't be this weekend.

I also ordered more wood for the siding of the engine house. The 1" X 8" HO scale boards where to thin to get to stain them properly. I put in an order with Kappler Scale Lumber for 2" X 8" boards.

That's it for now.

Bernd

kingstonemodelworks.com

Bernd
Fireman

Posted - 02/09/2019 :  5:14:39 PM  Show Profile  Visit Bernd's Homepage  Reply with Quote
The Kingstone Model Works Maga Chopper is almost 100% completed. I still need to make a washer to keep the blade in proper alignment and some kind of clamp to hold a stop for cutting multiples to one correct length.

So lets start with two 3/4 views.

The handle holds two single edge razor blades.

Loosen the two screws that hold the blade clamp.

Tighten back up and you can use just one blade.

For a harder wood, a Stanley box cutter knife will do just fine.

That's a piece of 1/4" square bass wood.

This was cut with the razor blade inserted in the chopper.

The bottom one was cut with the Stanley box cutter knife.

I'm pleased with results. I can now speed up my board by board modeling.

Until next time, Chop, Chop.

Bernd

kingstonemodelworks.com

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 02/09/2019 :  9:20:43 PM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Bernd,

Impressive. It looks much more substantial than the usual model.

Don’t forget the sticker warning the user that the blade is sharp.

Mike

_______________________________________________________________________________________________
Nobody living can ever stop me, as I go walking that freedom highway -- Woody Guthrie

Page: of 19 Previous Topic: Wild Horse Island Railroad Topic Next Topic: Hereford UK in N Gauge  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-19 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.36 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000