Railroad Line Forums - TT scale Otter Creek Falls Coal & Lumber Rwy
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 4 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 118 ]  [ Total: 122 ]  [ Newest Member: Bigbandito ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Small Scale Model Railroad Forum
 TT scale Otter Creek Falls Coal & Lumber Rwy
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Wild Horse Island Railroad Topic Next Topic: Nantahala Midland V 3.0
Page: of 23

Bernd
Fireman

Posted - 01/17/2019 :  4:06:02 PM  Show Profile  Visit Bernd's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I was about ready to start building the "WALL" on the ceiling tile and had a thought. If I use pins to hold the wood in alignment on the print, what would happen if I had to move it slightly. I'd wind up with a bunch of holes and loose pins. Then I remembered seeing modelers using a steel plate and magnets. The light bulb went on.

I had a sheet of steal 12" X 24" and a bunch of Neodymium magnets from my torque drive experiment. More on this after this picture.

This is the second batch of timber I stained using Higgin's Black Ink/denatured alcohol mix and Burnt Sienna Acrylic paint thinned with denatured alcohol.

Slopping on the stain.

And the full lumber load the next day.

Here's the new jig for holding all those tiny wood pieces. It's a piece of 1/16" thick 12" by 24" steal plate. I used an orbital sander on it to get rid of any bumps in the metal and wiped it down with some thinner to get rid of any oil residue. Next I made two straight edges from 1/4" thick aluminum and milled the edges for sharp corners. The drawing and wax paper was then sprayed with the spray adhesive and put down. Using four 1/2" X 1/2" x 3/4" magnets on each straight edge to hold down the straight edges. I'm going to have to mill some pockets and epoxy the magnets into them. The 1/4" thick aluminum is a bit thick for the magnets to hold the straight edge down well enough.

Here's an assortment of magnets I have. I was thinking of taking some .040" styrene strips about a 1/4" wide to make clamps out of, but I think just using the assortment of magnets will work OK.

I used a square to make sure the two straight edges where would produce a square corner. This is were I found out that the aluminum straight edges were not holding at their maximum strength.

Then using smaller magnets to hold the wood in place until the glue dries. I didn't glue these two pieces together yet.

That's it for now. I call this my "glue up jig/fixture". Right now I'm waiting for some glue bottles to arrive. These bottles were suggested by Darryl Huffman in his thread on page one near the bottom. http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=51335&whichpage=1 I ordered something a bit different, pus some other syringes for resin casting. So the project is on hold until I mill those pockets in the aluminum straight edges and those glue bottles arrive.

Those who are interested in the magnets can go here and look at all the different size and shape magnets. I have no affiliation with this company other than a satisfied customer. https://www.kjmagnetics.com/

Bernd

Edited by - Bernd on 01/22/2019 12:42:06 PM

Bernd
Fireman

Posted - 01/21/2019 :  2:02:36 PM  Show Profile  Visit Bernd's Homepage  Reply with Quote
A bit of an update. I started to build the wall. The magnets are great for holding the "spaghetti like" wood in place.

I now know what my next BIG project is. It's the "Shay Wood Mitre" or "Calibre Cutter" I mentioned above. It's a pain in the butt cutting those small short pieces of wood.

Bernd

Frank Palmer
Fireman

Posted - 01/21/2019 :  4:06:00 PM  Show Profile  Visit Frank Palmer's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Bernd, what I've done in the past was to cut a bunch of sticks larger than needed and bundle or temporarily glue then together. Then using a guide sand them to the right length on a disk sander.

Bernd
Fireman

Posted - 01/22/2019 :  07:46:57 AM  Show Profile  Visit Bernd's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Frank Palmer

Bernd, what I've done in the past was to cut a bunch of sticks larger than needed and bundle or temporarily glue then together. Then using a guide sand them to the right length on a disk sander.

Interesting little trick Frank. I'd be worried I wouldn't be able to get them apart. I've been thinking of some kind of adjustable fixture if you don't have a chopper or something equivalent.

Thanks for the tip.

Bernd

Bill Gill
Fireman

Posted - 01/22/2019 :  07:51:37 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Another nicely stained batch of lumber, Bernd, but you are really going to have to stop steAling those nifty steel jigs :)

Bernd
Fireman

Posted - 01/22/2019 :  12:41:32 PM  Show Profile  Visit Bernd's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Bill Gill

Another nicely stained batch of lumber, Bernd, but you are really going to have to stop steAling those nifty steel jigs :)

Oh oh, darn dinosaur (thesaurus). Steel as in hard material and steal as in take something unlawfully. I never was good in English class.

Bernd

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 01/22/2019 :  4:16:57 PM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Burned,

Steel and steal are homonyms, not synonyms. For example, Joan d’Arc was Bernd at the steak.

Mike

_______________________________________________________________________________________________
Nobody living can ever stop me, as I go walking that freedom highway -- Woody Guthrie

Bernd
Fireman

Posted - 01/22/2019 :  7:19:53 PM  Show Profile  Visit Bernd's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Oh where is the humor patrol when you need them? As I said I was never any good in English class.

Ok, I've solved my cutting the wood to length dilemma. A quick and dirty jig. Note the "manual" chopper.

And the second length jig.

Pretty self explanatory I think.

Bernd

Frank Palmer
Fireman

Posted - 01/22/2019 :  7:38:18 PM  Show Profile  Visit Frank Palmer's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Mother is the inventor of necessity. Or something like that.

Philip
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 01/22/2019 :  8:34:36 PM  Show Profile  Visit Philip's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Looking great Bernd!
Philip

Carl B
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 01/22/2019 :  8:50:08 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey, whatever works!

Bernd
Fireman

Posted - 01/24/2019 :  10:03:04 AM  Show Profile  Visit Bernd's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thanks for looking in Frank, Philip, and Carl.

Got the first wall all studded in. Didn't break anything getting it off of the wax paper. I know one thing I'm going to do before I start the next wall and that is quickly build a chopper for now. Wood has been ordered for the board by board wall construction. Here's some statistics for one wall. It will take 80 individual boards at 2.45" long, making for a total length of boards to be used on one side 16'4" actual length. So I ordered 10pkgs. of 12 boards per pkg. at 11" long. These are HO scale 1" X 8". That'll make the boards 1.44" thick by 11.52" wide in TT scale close enough if you don't have a TT scale ruler at hand. The wood is from Northeast Scale Lumber.

Bernd

Edited by - Bernd on 01/24/2019 10:08:55 AM

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 01/25/2019 :  12:06:18 PM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Bernd,

Looks good. You definitely need a chopper to keep your sanity.

Mike

_______________________________________________________________________________________________
Nobody living can ever stop me, as I go walking that freedom highway -- Woody Guthrie

Bernd
Fireman

Posted - 01/25/2019 :  1:15:46 PM  Show Profile  Visit Bernd's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Michael Hohn

Bernd,

Looks good. You definitely need a chopper to keep your sanity.

Mike

Thanks Mike.

Working on building one now. Sanity took over and said build it. Pictures when done.

Bernd

railman28
Fireman

Posted - 01/25/2019 :  1:55:00 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Nice studding.

It's only make-believe

Page: of 23 Previous Topic: Wild Horse Island Railroad Topic Next Topic: Nantahala Midland V 3.0  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-19 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 7.77 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000