Railroad Line Forums - TT scale Otter Creek Falls Coal & Lumber Rwy
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 8 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 112 ]  [ Total: 120 ]  [ Newest Member: Bigbandito ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Small Scale Model Railroad Forum
 TT scale Otter Creek Falls Coal & Lumber Rwy
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Wild Horse Island Railroad Topic Next Topic: Nantahala Midland V 3.0
Page: of 23

Bernd
Fireman

Posted - 01/15/2019 :  4:23:54 PM  Show Profile  Visit Bernd's Homepage  Reply with Quote
OK, enough of playing 3D CAD engineer and get this project underway before the wood rots.

I drew up the wall and printed it out. I used some spray glue and stuck it to the back of a ceiling tile. Covered it with wax paper.

The CAD drawing:

I'm using Higgins black ink diluted with denatured alcohol. I don't remember the ratio. I'm using some fine steel wool to get rid of the fuzzies and a soft bristled.

A quick pull through the steel wool on all four sides takes care of the fuzz left from cutting the wood.

Next I deluged the wood with the ink/alcohol mix. Made sure I got all four sides. Then I let it dry over night before I stain it with some Burnt Umber diluted with denatured alcohol.

This is the first batch of wood I stained to see if what I used above would look OK. Close enough as I learn about staining. As soon as the second batch of wood is stained I'll start on the assembly of the first wall. The drawing has been glued to a piece of ceiling tile and covered with wax paper.

Time for a really sharp blade in the Exacto knife.

Bernd

Frank Palmer
Fireman

Posted - 01/15/2019 :  6:59:11 PM  Show Profile  Visit Frank Palmer's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Xacto blade? . . . Oh no, not another RRL'er without a Northwest Shortline Chopper III.

Edited by - Frank Palmer on 01/15/2019 6:59:27 PM

Pennman
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 01/15/2019 :  9:54:15 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Bernd,

In the first picture after your Cad drawing, I see stain on the workbench. It's supposed to go on the wood!
Oh, I see you did that too.

Rich

Philip
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 01/15/2019 :  10:41:59 PM  Show Profile  Visit Philip's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Nice work Bernd! they ain't cutting you any slack! lol

Philip

Bernd
Fireman

Posted - 01/16/2019 :  09:05:51 AM  Show Profile  Visit Bernd's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Philip

Nice work Bernd! they ain't cutting you any slack! lol

Philip

Thanks Philip. Ya, as Rodney Dangerfield used to say, "It's a tough crowd." I got thick skin, besides getting even is more fun.

Bernd

Bernd
Fireman

Posted - 01/16/2019 :  09:08:13 AM  Show Profile  Visit Bernd's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Pennman

Bernd,

In the first picture after your Cad drawing, I see stain on the workbench. It's supposed to go on the wood!
Oh, I see you did that too.

Rich

Hate to tell you this but that's not the work bench. It's part of the quarry layout that needs some scenery. I figure I'd start getting down some basic dirt looking color. See I'm doing two things at once. wife calls it multi-tasking.

Bernd

Bernd
Fireman

Posted - 01/16/2019 :  09:25:14 AM  Show Profile  Visit Bernd's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Frank Palmer

Xacto blade? . . . Oh no, not another RRL'er without a Northwest Shortline Chopper III.

Guess I can't spell right either. Well I was thinking if I'm going to start working in wood instead of brass that I might need something like the Chopper. Several years ago I came across a post in another forum of a guy looking for one of these.

It's the Calabrei (I think that's how it's spelled)chopper. A guy was selling them for, I believe it was $245 a piece. Well I figured I could build one for myself and started to gather bearings and draw up a drawing of the parts. This style of cutter works better than the NWSL chopper because it actually has a cutting motion instead of a straight down chop. I was thinking of making it work with both a razor blade for thinner stock and a Craftsman box cutter blade for heavier stock. Like all of my ideas they get put back on the back burner for some reason or other. The back of the stove is so full of projects that it's about to tip over.

Bernd

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 01/16/2019 :  10:31:00 AM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
So, Bernd, did you get it far enough that you can use it?

Bill Gill
Fireman

Posted - 01/16/2019 :  12:30:47 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
In the first picture after your Cad drawing, I see stain on the workbench. It's supposed to go on the wood! Rich
Hate to tell you this but that's not the work bench. It's part of the quarry layout that needs some scenery. Bernd

Shucks, Bernd, I was hoping you'd say that stain was a convenient reference in case you had to match the color again...at least that's what I call the stains and paint splotches on my work space :)

Bernd
Fireman

Posted - 01/16/2019 :  12:46:49 PM  Show Profile  Visit Bernd's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Michael Hohn

So, Bernd, did you get it far enough that you can use it?

It still needs a lot of parts designed yet. You might call it in the kit stage right now.

The more I think about scratch building and having to cut boards to length the stronger the urge to finish this project. It's now getting down to what project has top priority after the wife's "Honey Project List".

Bernd

Bernd
Fireman

Posted - 01/16/2019 :  12:49:04 PM  Show Profile  Visit Bernd's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Bill Gill

In the first picture after your Cad drawing, I see stain on the workbench. It's supposed to go on the wood! Rich
Hate to tell you this but that's not the work bench. It's part of the quarry layout that needs some scenery. Bernd

Shucks, Bernd, I was hoping you'd say that stain was a convenient reference in case you had to match the color again...at least that's what I call the stains and paint splotches on my work space :)

Mmmmmmmmm Now I like that idea. Made my own color chart by accident.

Bernd

Frank Palmer
Fireman

Posted - 01/16/2019 :  1:42:33 PM  Show Profile  Visit Frank Palmer's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Bernd

Well I was thinking if I'm going to start working in wood instead of brass that I might need something like the Chopper.

Bernd

I had one of those but it was the original and didn't have the stop guide on the right. So I opted for the chopper.

I wasn't even thinking when I sai you don't have one. Of course YOU can make one.

Edited by - Frank Palmer on 01/16/2019 1:43:02 PM

Bernd
Fireman

Posted - 01/16/2019 :  2:19:12 PM  Show Profile  Visit Bernd's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Frank Palmer

quote:
Originally posted by Bernd

Well I was thinking if I'm going to start working in wood instead of brass that I might need something like the Chopper.

Bernd

I had one of those but it was the original and didn't have the stop guide on the right. So I opted for the chopper.

I wasn't even thinking when I sai you don't have one. Of course YOU can make one.

I just found the original place I saw it. It was right here on this forum.

http://www.railroad-line.com/discussion/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=15166

It was originally sold by San Juan Model Co. I had thought I'd see a thread on MRH about this and may have. A Google search with the proper spelling brought me back here.

Now that I found better pictures of it I may just have to fire up the Bridgeport mill and make one or two or......Oh oh.

Bernd

Pennman
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 01/17/2019 :  06:01:01 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Bernd,

That's ok with your response about the stain on your diorama base, but I bet if it was your workbench, you would wind up with one heck of a nice finish after all of the stain colors were moddled together.
So, the "San Juan Model Co." is the same folks who picked up the Grandt Line products. Still no word on when they will be selling the products. Unbelievable!!

Rich

Bernd
Fireman

Posted - 01/17/2019 :  07:33:46 AM  Show Profile  Visit Bernd's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Pennman

Bernd,

That's ok with your response about the stain on your diorama base, but I bet if it was your workbench, you would wind up with one heck of a nice finish after all of the stain colors were moddled together.
So, the "San Juan Model Co." is the same folks who picked up the Grandt Line products. Still no word on when they will be selling the products. Unbelievable!!

Rich

Actually my workbench is any clean horizontal surface at the moment.

I did a little further digging and found out that design goes way back. I'll have to gather that info for a build of that tool. Oh God another project on the list.

Bernd

Page: of 23 Previous Topic: Wild Horse Island Railroad Topic Next Topic: Nantahala Midland V 3.0  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-19 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.33 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000