Railroad Line Forums - TT scale Otter Creek Falls Coal & Lumber Rwy
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 6 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 58 ]  [ Total: 64 ]  [ Newest Member: Marty J ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Small Scale Model Railroad Forum
 TT scale Otter Creek Falls Coal & Lumber Rwy
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Topic Next Topic: Wild Horse Island Railroad
Page: of 22

Bernd
Fireman

Posted - 12/29/2018 :  08:43:51 AM  Show Profile  Visit Bernd's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Michael Hohn

Looks pretty good to me, Bernd.

As far as doors go, I see that the Rusty Stumps successor offers both types.

I view the rounded doors as something a Class I railroad would use and angled or square the sort a small backwoods line would build. And I can tell you after having done 4 that doing the openings and trim for rounded doors is a pain in the Kristen er.

Mike

I was figuring the same thing. The guys in the woods would want a quick and easy solution to building the opening. I'm going with the angled top. Well now that was a fast decision.

Bernd

kingstonemodelworks.com

Frank Palmer
Fireman

Posted - 12/29/2018 :  09:07:26 AM  Show Profile  Visit Frank Palmer's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Oh I like that board. What thickness are you using, all I saw on-line was 1/16".

Bernd
Fireman

Posted - 12/29/2018 :  11:20:42 AM  Show Profile  Visit Bernd's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Frank Palmer

Oh I like that board. What thickness are you using, all I saw on-line was 1/16".

I'm using 1/16" X 30" X 40". I ordered directly form the company. https://taskboard.com/ Click on the "Shop" button. They have thicknesses from 1/32, 1/16 and 1/8 inches. I also discovered that "The "N" Scale Architect" carries the different sizes and colors here: http://thenarch.com/catalog/building-sheets?page=3

I was going to use the task board for track ties in TT scale by having a laser company near me cut them out. To costly for the length of time it took to cut a 36" long section. There's a guy on MRH, Michael Rose who uses it for building track work. That's where I got all the info from.

Bernd

kingstonemodelworks.com

Edited by - Bernd on 12/29/2018 11:21:33 AM

Bernd
Fireman

Posted - 01/06/2019 :  6:46:40 PM  Show Profile  Visit Bernd's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Since the wood for the engine house hasn't arrived yet and I didn't have much interest in any of the other modeling projects I set about to see if I could draw up the engine in 3D CAD. Took me all weekend between 1:1 projects, but I got one wall done. Actually two since the wall is a mirror image of the other. The front and back walls will be different. Any way......

The frame work.

The frame work with windows installed.

The inside with the siding and windows in.

And the outside with siding installed.

Those are not the colors that it's going to be painted. The colors are just for contrast. Still need to do both front and back, maybe even the roof and rafters. Maybe.............

Bernd

kingstonemodelworks.com

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 01/06/2019 :  7:16:24 PM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Bernd,

Drawings like youíre doing are a very important step; Iím not telling you anything you donít know. They will be indispensable as patterns for your walls. Have you put in a supply of wax paper and stick pins?

Have you selected a stain for your interior framing?

Mike

_______________________________________________________________________________________________
Nobody living can ever stop me, as I go walking that freedom highway -- Woody Guthrie

Bernd
Fireman

Posted - 01/07/2019 :  08:37:52 AM  Show Profile  Visit Bernd's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Michael Hohn

Bernd,

Drawings like youíre doing are a very important step; Iím not telling you anything you donít know. They will be indispensable as patterns for your walls. Have you put in a supply of wax paper and stick pins?

Have you selected a stain for your interior framing?

Mike

Mike,

Have a whole new roll of wax paper. I may not have enough stick pins. I've got the "T" pins and several hundred regular pins.

On the stains, I've had several suggestions from Rich (Penmann) and Louis. I'm going to start out with the minimum of supplies. I checked out Brett Gallant two videos on Sierra West site on weathering scale stripwood with artists chalk and damp brushing. I'm going to start with his suggestions. As time goes on and I do more projects along the structure builds I'll start to build up my supply of paints and stains.

I've gotten pretty enthused by watching all of the great structure builds on this forum. Time for a little change and get away from motive power builds and metal working to wood and structure building. Maybe I'll stay motivated longer.

Bernd

kingstonemodelworks.com

Carl B
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 01/07/2019 :  10:33:18 AM  Show Profile  Visit Carl B's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I envy you fellas with the 3D CAD skills. I will be following along .

Frank Palmer
Fireman

Posted - 01/07/2019 :  1:00:30 PM  Show Profile  Visit Frank Palmer's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I can't get my eyes to stop playing tricks on me. The left side looks longer than the right side. I even measured it to check, yep my eyes are still messed up. The optical delusion has got me.

Edited by - Frank Palmer on 01/07/2019 1:03:56 PM

George D

Premium Member

Posted - 01/07/2019 :  3:34:44 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

CAD is a nice modeling tool.

George

Bernd
Fireman

Posted - 01/07/2019 :  5:03:57 PM  Show Profile  Visit Bernd's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Frank Palmer

I can't get my eyes to stop playing tricks on me. The left side looks longer than the right side. I even measured it to check, yep my eyes are still messed up. The optical delusion has got me.

The program takes a little getting used to. When I first saw the way it place the lines I thought like you. It all works out in the end.

Bernd

kingstonemodelworks.com

Bernd
Fireman

Posted - 01/07/2019 :  5:05:29 PM  Show Profile  Visit Bernd's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Carl B

I envy you fellas with the 3D CAD skills. I will be following along .

I've only started to learn this. I uninstalled it and reloaded many times before I really got into learning how to use it.

Bernd

kingstonemodelworks.com

Bernd
Fireman

Posted - 01/07/2019 :  5:06:54 PM  Show Profile  Visit Bernd's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by George D

CAD is a nice modeling tool.

George

It can be if you know how to use it. At times I feel like putting a hammer through the screen when it won't do what I want it to.

Bernd

kingstonemodelworks.com

Bernd
Fireman

Posted - 01/08/2019 :  3:21:16 PM  Show Profile  Visit Bernd's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Looks like I might have the engine house done in 3D CAD before I get the lumber.

Bernd

kingstonemodelworks.com

railman28
Fireman

Posted - 01/08/2019 :  4:19:21 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Nice drawings, looking forward to the build.

It's only make-believe

Bernd
Fireman

Posted - 01/11/2019 :  12:47:39 PM  Show Profile  Visit Bernd's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I got the 3D drawing done. I've also received my lumber and will be starting to work on the engine house after I stain the wood. I won't bore you with the staining step since many of you are the experts on this subject. I'll be searching out those threads with the staining for info.

Front view.

Rear view.

Bernd

kingstonemodelworks.com

Edited by - Bernd on 01/11/2019 12:48:55 PM

Page: of 22 Topic Next Topic: Wild Horse Island Railroad  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-19 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.39 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000