Railroad Line Forums - TT scale Otter Creek Falls Coal & Lumber Rwy
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 3 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 100 ]  [ Total: 103 ]  [ Newest Member: jfields ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Small Scale Model Railroad Forum
 TT scale Otter Creek Falls Coal & Lumber Rwy
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: All Scale Rails  Issue #23  2019 Topic Next Topic: Hereford UK in N Gauge
Page: of 23

Bernd
Fireman

Posted - 12/27/2018 :  11:58:35 AM  Show Profile  Visit Bernd's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by railman28

Bernd, It looks like your having fun and making good progress. Certainly good looking track.

I don't know if you can consider it fun working on three projects with forum members ready to kick your butt if you don't move right along. I think that's what I need to get the projects done.

Thanks on the track. They have track available but it's European style Americanized. The hand laid looks much better. I think with the jigs I came up with I should get pretty good looking track.

Bernd

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 12/27/2018 :  12:54:26 PM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Bernd,

Here’s a short line enginehouse on the Central New England and Western ~1890. Timeless.

— Mike

_______________________________________________________________________________________________
Nobody living can ever stop me, as I go walking that freedom highway -- Woody Guthrie

Bernd
Fireman

Posted - 12/27/2018 :  4:24:45 PM  Show Profile  Visit Bernd's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thanks Michael.

quote:
A bit more back-woods is the one or two stall enginehouse with large lean-to similar to the one Tony Burgess is building.

It's got to be a two stall house. I'm thinking that a lean-to would be a good addition but think it's pushing it a bit for me. I am going to follow Tony's techniques on his build as much as possible.

Here's two door ideas. Having a tough time figuring out which ones Like the best.

Might just have to build a mock up to see which I like better.

Bernd

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 12/27/2018 :  5:38:17 PM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Here are plans for s standard gauge engine house:

Maybe it will be useful for general proportions of width and height.

Mike

_______________________________________________________________________________________________
Nobody living can ever stop me, as I go walking that freedom highway -- Woody Guthrie

railman28
Fireman

Posted - 12/27/2018 :  6:55:49 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

Bernd, Good luck on choosing the doors, I've been trying to decided the shape of my Roundhouse doors for about 5 years now.

It's only make-believe

Bernd
Fireman

Posted - 12/27/2018 :  7:38:11 PM  Show Profile  Visit Bernd's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Michael Hohn

Here are plans for s standard gauge engine house:

Maybe it will be useful for general proportions of width and height.

Mike

I like the lines. Brick too. Boy those would be small bricks in TT. I'll save for reference. Thanks Mike.

Bernd

Bernd
Fireman

Posted - 12/27/2018 :  7:41:00 PM  Show Profile  Visit Bernd's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by railman28

Bernd, Good luck on choosing the doors, I've been trying to decided the shape of my Roundhouse doors for about 5 years now.

I better not wait the long Robert. The guys here would run me on rail out of town.

Bernd

Frank Palmer
Fireman

Posted - 12/28/2018 :  10:44:00 AM  Show Profile  Visit Frank Palmer's Homepage  Reply with Quote
You guys got me to looking at short line engine houses. Here's another. According to the dimensions it's 42'-0" wide in HO.

http://www.debenllc.com/SHORTLINE-2-STALL-ENGINE-HOUSE-Kit-Scale-Model-Masterpieces-OOn30-YORKE-_p_1272.html

Frank

Edited by - Frank Palmer on 12/28/2018 10:48:51 AM

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 12/28/2018 :  11:13:34 AM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Bernd,

I like the lines also. I found the drawing helpful when I built my enginehouse. I did mine in wood and I’ve assumed you wouldn’t do it in bricks.

And the single-stall example I posted to illustrate how simple the construction can be, plus it has the angular door style.

Mike

Edited by - Michael Hohn on 12/28/2018 11:27:32 AM

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 12/28/2018 :  11:55:05 AM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
As a point of information, Laser Art makes a kit of the PRR enginehouse:

http://www.laserartstructures.com/laserart-structures/trackside/buildings-ho.html

Mike

Bernd
Fireman

Posted - 12/28/2018 :  2:44:20 PM  Show Profile  Visit Bernd's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Frank Palmer

You guys got me to looking at short line engine houses. Here's another. According to the dimensions it's 42'-0" wide in HO.
http://www.debenllc.com/SHORTLINE-2-STALL-ENGINE-HOUSE-Kit-Scale-Model-Masterpieces-OOn30-YORKE-_p_1272.html

Quite impressive Frank. I like it. It would be great for my standard gauge line. A little to big for the TT scale logging line. Saved though for future use. Thanks for posting.

Bernd

Bernd
Fireman

Posted - 12/28/2018 :  2:57:31 PM  Show Profile  Visit Bernd's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Michael Hohn

As a point of information, Laser Art makes a kit of the PRR enginehouse:

http://www.laserartstructures.com/laserart-structures/trackside/buildings-ho.html

Mike

Thanks Mike for making me aware of those kits. I like both the two track and the single track engine house. I downloaded the instructions for perusal. I've got quite a bit of info gathered now. Rich (Pennman) also gave me a clue as to the angled top doors. The Haydenton Depot, which I have two of, one by Quality Craft Models, Inc. and one by Gloor Craft Models, has the top angle entrance into the depot.

The itch is there to mock up an engine house using some cardboard. maybe this weekend.

Thanks guys for all the input. Much appreciated. Time to get busy and produce something.

Bernd

Bernd
Fireman

Posted - 12/28/2018 :  5:12:45 PM  Show Profile  Visit Bernd's Homepage  Reply with Quote
After a couple of hours contemplating the different engine house pictures I have gathered over the last several weeks. I decided to take another look at the original plan from the magazine.

It looks like builder didn't add any doors at all and it looks like a second story got added on in the rear of the building. I see no exhaust stacks either. What I did notice was that there is a shop lean-to on the left of the engine house. Got to thinking since this is a backwoods lumber & coal operation that they would need a machine shop and boiler house to run all the metal working machinery for building and fixing equipment.

I've printed out some sides, front and rear templates to mount on some Taskboard for a mock up. One with rounded top doors and one with angles. At present I'm leaning toward the angle top doors. Easier to cut straight lines.

Bernd

Bernd
Fireman

Posted - 12/28/2018 :  9:23:26 PM  Show Profile  Visit Bernd's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I made up the engine-house mock up tonight and took a few pictures.

Bernd

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 12/28/2018 :  10:16:55 PM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Looks pretty good to me, Bernd.

As far as doors go, I see that the Rusty Stumps successor offers both types.

I view the rounded doors as something a Class I railroad would use and angled or square the sort a small backwoods line would build. And I can tell you after having done 4 that doing the openings and trim for rounded doors is a pain in the keister.

Mike

Edited by - Michael Hohn on 12/29/2018 08:58:56 AM

Page: of 23 Previous Topic: All Scale Rails  Issue #23  2019 Topic Next Topic: Hereford UK in N Gauge  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-19 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.62 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000