Railroad Line Forums - TT scale Otter Creek Falls Coal & Lumber Rwy
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 3 | Anonymous Members: 1 | Guests: 122 ]  [ Total: 126 ]  [ Newest Member: Bigbandito ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Small Scale Model Railroad Forum
 TT scale Otter Creek Falls Coal & Lumber Rwy
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Wild Horse Island Railroad Topic Next Topic: Nantahala Midland V 3.0
Page: of 23

Tyson Rayles

Premium Member

Posted - 03/02/2017 :  07:59:55 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Bernd my layout is being built the same way, not because I want to take anything to a show (we don't have any shows close to here) but I want to be able to easily take it apart and put it back together if I should move. Also as you said you don't get overwhelmed trying to build everything at once. The Murphy portion I'm currently working on is my final section.

Bernd
Fireman

Posted - 03/02/2017 :  11:58:18 AM  Show Profile  Visit Bernd's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Tyson Rayles

Bernd my layout is being built the same way, not because I want to take anything to a show (we don't have any shows close to here) but I want to be able to easily take it apart and put it back together if I should move. Also as you said you don't get overwhelmed trying to build everything at once. The Murphy portion I'm currently working on is my final section.

Great. One reason for taking to shows is I'd like to see TT scale become a viable scale to fill the gap between N and HO. Just like S scale fills the void between HO and O.

There's a couple of shows close by, plus I have a good friend that sells at shows. I usually share a table with him. It draws a crowd to his table when I bring something like an animated crane or just to display something.

Bernd

Bernd
Fireman

Posted - 03/18/2017 :  6:33:42 PM  Show Profile  Visit Bernd's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Added another page showing how I'm going to make the turnouts for the engine terminal module.

http://www.kingstonemodelworks.com/LET-2.html

Enjoy.

Bernd

Bernd
Fireman

Posted - 06/12/2017 :  3:34:49 PM  Show Profile  Visit Bernd's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Track laying has begun on the Logging Engine Terminal module.

Bernd

David Clark
Fireman

Posted - 06/12/2017 :  11:43:38 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Bernd,
I couldn't link to the article on TOMA you wrote about but it seems like a good concept. I guess you don't have to have everything planned out for all the modules but do you have a set position for tracks to enter and leave the modules or are they meant to be only set up one way? Looking good! Your machining and building skills are fantastic!
Cheers, Dave

Bernd
Fireman

Posted - 06/13/2017 :  08:28:51 AM  Show Profile  Visit Bernd's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by David Clark

Bernd,
I couldn't link to the article on TOMA you wrote about but it seems like a good concept. I guess you don't have to have everything planned out for all the modules but do you have a set position for tracks to enter and leave the modules or are they meant to be only set up one way? Looking good! Your machining and building skills are fantastic!
Cheers, Dave

Hi Dave,

Joe started the article in the E-zine last year. That would be a good place to start. He's putting the series on video and presenting it on TrainMasters TV. It costs to view, but there are articles written in the e-zine about it. Here's were he introduces the concept. BTW the E-zine is free. http://model-railroad-hobbyist.com/magazine/mrh-2015-10-oct/publishers-musings You can then follow the posts from this subject. You can search the e-zine by typing in "toma" (without quotes) in the search box on the upper right hand of the forum.

I think it's a great idea. You can plan a complete railroad that can be permanently built, but still be able to be taken apart and taken with you when you move. I'm looking at the possibility of set ups at shows.

And thank you for the kind words. They are appreciated.

Bernd

Bernd
Fireman

Posted - 12/26/2018 :  3:55:49 PM  Show Profile  Visit Bernd's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I'm bumping this one because I've started thinking about it again. Can't believe it's been 1Ĺ years since I last posted on this subject/project. So It looks like I've got three major projects going and can't seem to get any where with any of them.

The last several weeks I've been gathering info for building a TT scale engine house for this module. Along with this I'm trying to finish up a engine fueling facility module in HO and HOn3 that's been setting around for over 20 years, plus get the rock crusher and animated conveyor built for the quarry line. Perhaps with these diversified projects if I loose interest in one the other may keep me motivated.

Back to the engine house for this module. It's based on the original one that was built by John Allen. I have his drawings from the October 1948 MR, a set of drawings from Eugene Le Doux in the Kalmbach book "Easy to build Model Railroad Structures" by Bill Anderson and the kit from FSM with drawings.

The reason I picked this engine house is that Bob Boudreau impressed me with his modeling early of pictures of his engine house in his articles in both RMC and MR. Also Tony's scratchbuild loco shed thread. I always wondered how to start with a concept and turn it into something you want. Following Tony's thread has inspired me to give it a try.

So between these projects I should be reporting in once in a while to show what I did.

Bernd

Tyson Rayles

Premium Member

Posted - 12/27/2018 :  06:24:03 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Nice to hear you haven't forgot about this project Bernd.

Frank Palmer
Fireman

Posted - 12/27/2018 :  10:10:32 AM  Show Profile  Visit Frank Palmer's Homepage  Reply with Quote
So many projects - so little time.

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 12/27/2018 :  10:39:38 AM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Bernd,

Iím looking forward to seeing developments here. Some nice designs in the press and on the forums here.

Iíve always thought the John Allen enginehouse must have been a California design, reflecting where he lived, because I doubt many eastern ones lacked doors.

One of my structures for the NMRA achievement programs was a small two-stall country enginehouse on the Pennsylvania.

Mike

_______________________________________________________________________________________________
Nobody living can ever stop me, as I go walking that freedom highway -- Woody Guthrie

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 12/27/2018 :  10:55:20 AM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hereís a photo:

This is a classic design.

A bit more back-woods is the one or two stall enginehouse with large lean-to similar to the one Tony Burgess is building.

Mike

_______________________________________________________________________________________________
Nobody living can ever stop me, as I go walking that freedom highway -- Woody Guthrie

railman28
Fireman

Posted - 12/27/2018 :  11:22:19 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Bernd, It looks like your having fun and making good progress. Certainly good looking track.

It's only make-believe

Bernd
Fireman

Posted - 12/27/2018 :  11:39:26 AM  Show Profile  Visit Bernd's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Tyson Rayles

Nice to hear you haven't forgot about this project Bernd.

Haven't forgotten this project. Stares at me every time I'm in the basement. The thing that's holding me back is the track work. I've got several more turnouts to build. I don't know which to do first. The engine house or the tracks. I figure the engine house first and then I can get the tracks right for the proper center to center for the engine house.

Waiting on windows, not the computer , from Rail Scale Products to start the engine house.

Bernd

Bernd
Fireman

Posted - 12/27/2018 :  11:43:54 AM  Show Profile  Visit Bernd's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Frank Palmer

So many projects - so little time.

The one big project I need to keep working on or the wife will have me by the ka...... is the master bathroom. Luckily I'm waiting on getting the custom counter top made and it won't be here till 1-9-2019. So I'm working on some small items like framing the inside of the bathroom window.

Have lots of time, just don't where to allocate the largest portion to.

Bernd

Bernd
Fireman

Posted - 12/27/2018 :  11:54:15 AM  Show Profile  Visit Bernd's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Michael Hohn

Bernd,

Iím looking forward to seeing developments here. Some nice designs in the press and on the forums here.

Iíve always thought the John Allen enginehouse must have been a California design, reflecting where he lived, because I doubt many eastern ones lacked doors.

One of my structures for the NMRA achievement programs was a small two-stall country enginehouse on the Pennsylvania.

Mike

Mike,

What I like about the John Allen design is the size. I started drawing up some simple plans (no detail) and think I'm going for the angle top doors. I kind of like them. Might need to do some further research and look for some eastern road backwoods engine houses.

I like the looks of that engine house you posted. I'm debating whether to use board and batten or individual boards. Remember 1/10" equals 12" in TT scale.

I've been following Tony's posts and am going to use his methods. Have the windows ordered, just waiting for them to arrive. I believe I'll have to do a little down sizing of the HO windows.

Bernd

Page: of 23 Previous Topic: Wild Horse Island Railroad Topic Next Topic: Nantahala Midland V 3.0  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-19 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.33 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000