Railroad Line Forums - TT scale Otter Creek Falls Coal & Lumber Rwy
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 8 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 110 ]  [ Total: 118 ]  [ Newest Member: Deano ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Small Scale Model Railroad Forum
 TT scale Otter Creek Falls Coal & Lumber Rwy
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: DPM Corner Apothecary - (another) Kitbash Topic Next Topic: NNY RR
Page: of 11

Bernd
Fireman

Posted - 02/04/2017 :  07:06:21 AM  Show Profile  Visit Bernd's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by robert goslin

Bernd, wonderful looking module. I really like like your 3D drawings. Nice track plan, and like a switching puzzle.
You sure do have some cool looking equipment and tools.

Thank you Robert.

The 3D are done using Design Spark Mechanical 2.0. I found this program easier to learn and use then Sketch-Up. It also exports in more formats than Sketch-Up. There's also an electrical package that I haven't looked into.

Perhaps I should post the rest of the track plans that I have in mind. I like switching layout as opposed to long main line running. I think you'll see that once I post the other modules.

The equipment and tooling comes from being a mechanical loving person. My second hobby is home shop machining. I get great enjoyment making things and repairing everyday items. An example is a cheap chop saw I used to cut brick with when I was doing the brick work on the house. Due to the dust the motor bearings wore out. I replaced them with a cheap set of sealed bearings and finished the brick work on the house. I was told by an engineer that I won't be able to do that. I had to prove him wrong.

Bernd

Bernd
Fireman

Posted - 02/04/2017 :  09:00:34 AM  Show Profile  Visit Bernd's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Here's a bit of the grand plan for the TT scale modules. I have five modules that I plan on building as individual modules to be linked together as they are completed.

The first module to be built will be the Otter Creek Falls Lumber and Coal Co. engine facilities.

Once that module is finished the next will be the coal mine module. This plan was part of a layout design in Model Railroader eons ago that I modified some what. When I find that article again I'll explain how the mine tracks work.

After that comes the famous Gum Stump & Snowshoe module. This will be the logging part of the total layout.

Then two more modules plans that I liked from Model Railroader, the Epithet Creek terminal and engine facilities.

Two more modules need to be planned. The coal processing plant and a lumber mill. That's to far into the future at present to design right now. The five modules will keep my busy for several years to come. This is a long range forecast that could change from day to day. The way different interests pull me in their directions, I figure if I put it down in words and pictures I'll adhere to the plan. I know you guys will keep on the straight and narrow.

Bernd

Tyson Rayles

Premium Member

Posted - 02/04/2017 :  12:38:45 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I like the next to last plan the best. It has a passing siding and doesn't have a space wasting turntable.

Mike

danielb
Engine Wiper

Posted - 02/04/2017 :  12:40:24 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Agreed, that second to last plan is wonderful.

-Dan

Bernd
Fireman

Posted - 02/11/2017 :  10:56:06 PM  Show Profile  Visit Bernd's Homepage  Reply with Quote
After much contemplation on building the first module and how I was going to assemble the frame I decided on a method for fast assembly. I had first thought of using dove tails on the frame to assemble it but decided it was to work intensive even though I have the jigs to do it. So I ordered a Kreg Pocket screw kit. Waiting for it get here. In the mean time I decided to practice using my 3D CAD program to design a freelance caboose. I started a thread here: http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=48619 to keep track of the rolling stock projects.

So here's the 3D drawing after several attempts. I think I finally have my head wrapped around using 3D CAD.

Bernd

Bernd
Fireman

Posted - 02/22/2017 :  11:54:01 AM  Show Profile  Visit Bernd's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Finally got my Kreg pocket screw jig and wood to assemble the first module.

You'll find the detailed description here: http://www.kingstonemodelworks.com/LET.html

Enjoy.

Bernd

robert goslin
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 02/23/2017 :  02:54:52 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Bernd, that is some stunning bench-work. Real furniture grade craftsmanship.
I like the screws. I've seen them advertise that jig on TV here. Guess you're happy with it.

Regards Rob

Despite the cost of living, it's still popular.

Bernd
Fireman

Posted - 02/23/2017 :  07:54:36 AM  Show Profile  Visit Bernd's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by robert goslin

Bernd, that is some stunning bench-work. Real furniture grade craftsmanship.
I like the screws. I've seen them advertise that jig on TV here. Guess you're happy with it.

Hi Rob,

Thanks for the compliment. Much appreciated.

I saw these used by Joey Ricard of Trackside Scenery. Here's the video where he uses the Kreg Pocket screw system.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6DhYqE3bnao

I had seen this system back a few years ago. I never thought it was a very strong system of holding wood together. But to my amazement it's quiet strong. You can still add glue if you want to. What's great about this system is it's easy to take apart and put back together again as he shows in his video. So yes, I'm very happy with this system.

Bernd

Bernd
Fireman

Posted - 03/01/2017 :  07:39:04 AM  Show Profile  Visit Bernd's Homepage  Reply with Quote
While waiting for track supplies I started to lay out the track plan. All the track and turnouts will need to be built from scratch as there are no suppliers of Code 55 flex track or commercial turnouts.

Bernd

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 03/01/2017 :  08:10:36 AM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Bernd,

Rather exciting watching you switch to a different track. No gleam of brass like I got used to seeing in your projects. It'll be the shine of nickel-silver before long.

Everything so far looks well engineered.

Mike

_______________________________________________________________________________________________
Nobody living can ever stop me, as I go walking that freedom highway -- Woody Guthrie

Tyson Rayles

Premium Member

Posted - 03/01/2017 :  09:11:21 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Are you not going to have a run around track?

Mike

adrian_batey
Fireman

Posted - 03/01/2017 :  6:11:12 PM  Show Profile  Visit adrian_batey's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Tyson Rayles

Are you not going to have a run around track?

Mike was thinking the same thing when looking at the plan. thought it would be a nice module as part of a future layout for myself

Bernd
Fireman

Posted - 03/01/2017 :  9:14:09 PM  Show Profile  Visit Bernd's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thanks for stopping in guys. Appreciated.

This will be the first of five modules. The Gum Stump & Snow show will be part of the group of five. The module concept is called "TOMA", The "One Module" Approach. Each module will be completed before the next one gets started. This way you build your "Large" empire a bit at a time. It won't over whelm you when it is built all at once. If you're interested in reading more about this concept go here: http://www.kingstonemodelworks.com/LET.html and click on the TOMA Principle link.

I'll up-date my web site with what the other modules will look like. Each module can then be linked by, I'll call them connection modules, to each other to form a larger model railroad. This way any module can be disconnected and be taken to a show or swap meet. It's kind of like the Free-Mo module concept, but based on a home layout.

Bernd

adrian_batey
Fireman

Posted - 03/01/2017 :  10:51:20 PM  Show Profile  Visit adrian_batey's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hi Bernd, Thats why i have been following along with this one. I wan't to tackle something like this in HO Scale. I would like the idea of an additional module to the left with a run around and other facilities for the camp.

Bernd
Fireman

Posted - 03/02/2017 :  07:51:55 AM  Show Profile  Visit Bernd's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by adrian_batey

Hi Bernd, Thats why i have been following along with this one. I wan't to tackle something like this in HO Scale. I would like the idea of an additional module to the left with a run around and other facilities for the camp.

Great then, tag along and use anything you find of interest to build your layout. I'm going to be posting shorter posts here on the forum with a link to my website for further details just for the fact that it takes more time to post duplicate posts to other forums and trying to keep up to date on the website.

Bernd

Page: of 11 Previous Topic: DPM Corner Apothecary - (another) Kitbash Topic Next Topic: NNY RR  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-17 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.34 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000