Railroad Line Forums - three bobbers for the C&V
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 5 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 101 ]  [ Total: 106 ]  [ Newest Member: Patrick Loves Steam ]
 All Forums
 Shop Talk
 Rolling Stock: the Car Shops
 three bobbers for the C&V
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Passenger car diaphragm discussion Topic Next Topic: Distressing a MTL C&S coal car
Page: of 4

Frank Palmer
Fireman

Posted - 09/26/2015 :  8:29:00 PM  Show Profile  Visit Frank Palmer's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Bill, I believe the roof walks were prototypically not painted. How’s that saying go, “slippery when wet”.

Frank

Bill Gill
Fireman

Posted - 09/26/2015 :  11:29:22 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Frank, Thanks. You are correct, some running boards definitely were not painted, but others were, and some of those had sand added to the wet paint for a non skid surface.

These two Jack Delano photos, c. WWII at the C&NW, are from the Library of Congress photo collection and most of these running boards match the roof/body color of the car. Many were black. Although these are boxcars, I'm fairly confident the same would hold for cabooses, well at least for the C&V :)

Bill Gill
Fireman

Posted - 09/27/2015 :  08:07:18 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Now the tops of both Mantua bobbers are still a little too dark, but that gets adjusted later. (Meanwhile the Bachmann roof on 32 is still staying red)

With 32 in the middle as a guide, a bit of color testing.

I like how the one on the right looks at this point, and this mix certainly offers a variety of photo opportunities, though in that condition it ought to be in the shop...

...and, it looks uncomfortably similar to this, so reluctantly, it will become more red.
http://railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=45377

Edited by - Bill Gill on 09/27/2015 08:45:58 AM

Frank Palmer
Fireman

Posted - 09/27/2015 :  10:42:36 AM  Show Profile  Visit Frank Palmer's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Well Bill, painted walks it is. I vote for the caboose behind door number 3.

I think if you cut the mullions out of the windows on #32 it would look better. Most of the bobbers I’ve seen were one piece glass.

Frank

Edited by - Frank Palmer on 09/27/2015 10:45:31 AM

deemery
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 09/27/2015 :  11:26:07 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Bill, could you post the link for the original LOC version of that Delano photo? At MARPM, I was talking to some people about the need for a good study/clinic on weathering wood cars (most of the clinics are on steel sided cars, and the techniques for wood are very different than rust stains :-) )

Early cabeese had smaller pane windows, so removing the mullions would make sense for 1920s or later. 1960s or later, you could add iron bars to protect the crew from vandals...

dave

Modeling 1890s (because the voices in my head told me to)

Bill Gill
Fireman

Posted - 09/27/2015 :  12:59:09 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Frank, yes, removing the mullions from #32 would modernize its appearance, and that was something I seriously "mulled" over when working on these two new bobbers, but ol' 32 will likely remain as she is for the forseeable future because when I originally worked on it, I securely glued the body shell to the underframe to prevent the end ladders -glued to both of those parts- from being torn loose if the shell was accidentally emoved. If I were to push the "glass" out of those windows to get access to cut the mullions, there would be no simple way to replace the glass.

Dave, Thanks for the tips. I have a few reference photos with older bobbers with mullions on their windows, but although #32 is in reality the oldest caboose on the road, by appearance and number it looks like the newest of the three. An anomaly I will have to live with for now.

Thanks, I have been thinking about adding wire safety bars across the end windows as seen in some prototype photos.

The Delano photos I posted were copied from the NEB&W website which referenced the LOC, but did not include a link. I just read that the LOC search has been simplified and enhanced, so I Googled "LOC freight cars" and several of Delano's photos came up immediately (mind reading?)

Here's that link. Look for the bigger photo I posted over in the thumbnals on the lower right.
https://www.google.com/search?q=LOC+freight+cars&rlz=1C5CHFA_enUS551US551&es_sm=91&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ved=0CB0QsARqFQoTCPWmysTXl8gCFUYaPgodM2kMaw&biw=1273&bih=657#imgdii=J_JKzkynVDN0qM%3A%3BJ_JKzkynVDN0qM%3A%3B8xQtbIwxnjLNeM%3A&imgrc=J_JKzkynVDN0qM%3A

Cowboybilly
Crew Chief

Posted - 09/27/2015 :  1:04:07 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
looks good

Bill Gill
Fireman

Posted - 09/27/2015 :  1:54:17 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for looking, Cowboybilly.

Frank Palmer, Here are the two Micro-Mark chisels I used to shave the grabs offf the bobbers compared to an X-Acto #17 blade with one corner hacked off. Mostly I use the narrower straight blade on the bottom.

The plastic pocket of seven chisels was a gift almost 10 years ago. It has no identifying marks on it except the Micro-Mark name on the handles, but I think this item is still carried or something about the same.

railman28
Fireman

Posted - 09/27/2015 :  4:35:15 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Bill, the mullions in the windows of 32 is why I like her the most. My 2 cents.

It's only make-believe

Bill Gill
Fireman

Posted - 09/27/2015 :  8:04:38 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks, Bob. Visually I like those anachronistic mullions too. And with the backlog of projects waiting on the C&V, #32 will stay as she is. In this thread #32 is serving as a guide and reference for things to do and details to add to the other two bobbers.

Glen Haasdyk
Fireman

Posted - 09/27/2015 :  9:20:15 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I like the work you've done on these cabooses.
The mini clinc about your chisels is useful. I found a similar set at harbour freight (minus the Micro-mark logo!)

Bill Gill
Fireman

Posted - 09/28/2015 :  07:48:20 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks, Glen, and thanks for the tip about Harbor Freight chisels.

OK, despite attempts to explain to them about the interesting photo opportunities, the C&V paint shop had a fit over the condition shown of the bobber that was posted back a few photos earlier. So a less wornout version was reluctantly accepted by all parties and is seen in these two photos below. (The caboose on the left is the one that formerly had the really faded paint)

With a little prodding, the shop lettered and numbered both vans. #15, the oldest, is most faded. (It also sports a 'new' smoke jack, but the shop won't discuss details).

The bobbers are pretty much finished at this time, though there will be a few more photos of them out on the road.

Bernd
Fireman

Posted - 09/28/2015 :  09:05:06 AM  Show Profile  Visit Bernd's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hey Bill those Bobbers look real nice. That weathering makes them look well used but in excellent mechanical shape. Those smokestacks look a little high. Do they clear all the overhang on the layout?

Bernd

Bill Gill
Fireman

Posted - 09/28/2015 :  09:32:00 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks, Bernd The smoke jacks are high, but there are a few prototype photos with stove pipes close to their altitude. They clear the tunnel on the road and the conductors are grateful because the extended stacks help keep some of the smoke out of the interior (though the C&V usually runs trains of only 3-4 cars, so the smoke from the steam engines often renders that adavntage moot) :)

Edited by - Bill Gill on 09/28/2015 3:58:31 PM

Bill Gill
Fireman

Posted - 09/28/2015 :  4:07:03 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Bobber #32 was supposed to serve only as a guide for the other two, but one detail they got just seemed natural to add to the original van as well. Here's an end of train view of #32 showing off a new air hose. This is a delicate detail that had not been added to any other C&V equipment for fear of constantly having to replace them. But the back of the cabooses will be one of their most common viewing angles, so a little extra detail there is worth trying. Only one end of each bobber got an air hose, so the plan is to always run them in that orientation on the end of trains.

That air hose on #32 is admittedly pretty ordinary, as is the older looking one here on #23, so #23 also got a brakeman for more interest. Here's he is out on the road.

Note to Ensign, Master of Lighting Effects (& Puns) : The lantern below is not really lit. The brakeman is removable so that he doesn't over stay his welcome on those steps. Figuring out how to power a tiny surface mount LED for his light in that situation was more than I wanted to attempt. The rosy glow and some of the night sky were GIMPed into the shot.

But what about #15?... There are a few more photos in the works.

Edited by - Bill Gill on 09/29/2015 07:03:37 AM

Page: of 4 Previous Topic: Passenger car diaphragm discussion Topic Next Topic: Distressing a MTL C&S coal car  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-19 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 21.44 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000